Dell U2713 coming soon

Ewww I hate the stand, they should keep the industrial carved out of stone style.

. . . would it really be that hard or confusing to release a glossy version as well?

Walmart photo-printing kiosks allow users to select matte vs glossy. If it works for that population surely it could work for ultrasharps . . .

i understand why some people prefer matte, and that's fine, but just seems like glossy could use some love from manufacturers as well.

The Samsung S27A850D is only 750$ now, so who cares? It may come down even more by the time the grainy U2713 comes out

Dell Australia :

U2713HM = 799 australian dollars (843 USD)
U2711 = 899 australian dollars (949 USD)

probably same $100 difference in other countries

now we need to find if it's new AH-IPS ( LM270WQ3 ) or old IPS ( LM270WQ1 ) panel

350 cdm indicates that it may be new panel (old panels have 380 cdm and 420 cdm)

although the LM270WQ3 was listed originally as supporting AdobeRGB colour gamut which is beyond that of the U2713HM. Could be a new panel or perhaps a new revision of the LM270WQ1 - although that is usually provided with glossy coating.

Price in Japan is around $639, and I guess that's MSRP. I'm guessing we should expect it to be sub $600 in the U.S. with a sale. I really don't care for the AG coating on Dells, but the reliability, warranty, and pixel policy over the Korean models and reasonable pricing is making me still consider it. If only the Apple Cinema Display was around the same price point (I run a hackintosh anyways).

nice, AH-IPS confirmed in Dell Japan specification pages

which brand will be the first to introduce 27" AH-IPS without Anti-Glare ?

korean small firms or big market players ... lets see who wants our money ...

interesting, that seems to step from the Dell Japan press release although it doesn't specifically mention AH-IPS, or even IPS really, on some of the spec pages. you'd have thought they'd include that in the features a bit more.

The press release only seems to state that the new AH-IPS panel helps with power saving compared with the U2711, but that was to be expected anyway from the use of W-LED backlighting. Suspect it's just another name being used to try and differentiate it, but in reality not offering anything drastically different to the old H-IPS / e-IPS panels in terms of pixel structure, aperture size etc. in the mobile market they are used to define high res panels normally, but the res on this (while still being high res) hasn't changed

What exactly are the real-life benefits of an AH-IPS panel? Comparing the U2711 to U2713HM, the differences that I can see are:

* 1.07 billion colors on U2711 to 16.7 million colors on U2713HM
* IPS on U2711 to AH-IPS on U2713HM
* USB2 on U2711 to USB3 on U2713HM
* Composite & Component ports on U2711
* LED Backlit on U2713HM

If the U2713HM is going to launch just under $800 in the US, and with the U2711 already priced in that region via websites like Amazon - is there any reason to go for the U2713HM? How is the AH-IPS panel combined with LED backlit technology going to affect reading code/playing games/watching movies (I don't do any photoshop or color work)?

What exactly are the real-life benefits of an AH-IPS panel? Comparing the U2711 to U2713HM, the differences that I can see are:

* 1.07 billion colors on U2711 to 16.7 million colors on U2713HM
* IPS on U2711 to AH-IPS on U2713HM
* USB2 on U2711 to USB3 on U2713HM
* Composite & Component ports on U2711
* LED Backlit on U2713HM

If the U2713HM is going to launch just under $800 in the US, and with the U2711 already priced in that region via websites like Amazon - is there any reason to go for the U2713HM? How is the AH-IPS panel combined with LED backlit technology going to affect reading code/playing games/watching movies (I don't do any photoshop or color work)?

The U2711 is $800 but that's when it's on sale. The U2713 will most likely have to go on sale rather quickly for $600-$700 to make it a viable alternative. As for the technical aspects you mentioned, I have no idea, but it sounds like the quality on the screen is lower.

Last edited:
If the U2713HM is going to launch just under $800 in the US, and with the U2711 already priced in that region via websites like Amazon - is there any reason to go for the U2713HM?
Engadget screwed up the price because they thought the Australian site was the U.S. one (Australian dollars != U.S. dollars). Australia has a VAT-like system there, and that's probably included in the total. We're still waiting on the actual pricing for the U.S.

As someone said above, 49,980 yen is $637.74.

nice, AH-IPS confirmed in Dell Japan specification pages

which brand will be the first to introduce 27" AH-IPS without Anti-Glare ?

korean small firms or big market players ... lets see who wants our money ...

I believe the LG dm2792 has the new 8 bit AH-IPS, mine will be here next week and I can take it apart to see what panel it has. What code is for the AH-IPS for LG 27 inch?

Engadget screwed up the price because they thought the Australian site was the U.S. one (Australian dollars != U.S. dollars). Australia has a VAT-like system there, and that's probably included in the total. We're still waiting on the actual pricing for the U.S.

As someone said above, 49,980 yen is $637.74.

Engadget updated their article and say that it is in fact $800 US MSRP.

Fail?

Here's the direct US link confirming it:
http://accessories.ap.dell.com/sna/...cs=audhs1&l=en&s=dhs&sku=210-40773&redirect=1

No, it's the US link now.

Edit: Maybe the link is still wrong but Engadget added this:

"Update: Dell has now announced pricing for the US. This UltraSharp slab will set you back just shy of 800 bucks. Visit the source to get your order in."

No, it's the US link now.

Edit: Maybe the link is still wrong but Engadget added this:

"Update: Dell has now announced pricing for the US. This UltraSharp slab will set you back just shy of 800 bucks. Visit the source to get your order in."

They have the wrong link and info.

pespu.png

A search on Dell's U.S. site returns nothing on "U2713" other than a forum posting asking about the monitor.

Still looking for info on the AG. Is it the same thing as the 2412? I have one of those and it doesn't bother me.

PCBuyIT in the UK have a product page up:For anyone interested in PCBuyIT's credentials: they used to be one of the best places in the UK to get Dell monitors, and were one of the first to offer a pixel perfect warranty - I bought a 2209WA from them because of this. While they still tend to get new Dell products early the prices aren't as ultra competitive as they once were. It's extremely likely that many stores across the EU will end up cheaper than PCBuyIT, but still anyone preordering in the UK could do a lot worse N.B. you can't preorder yet, only after final pricing and delivery date is set.

For now the U2713HM price looks bad, but I suspect it will drop once it's clear that it's going to sit below the U2711 in Dell's range (if it really is below the U2711.)

The stated availability date might not be too far wrong.

PCBuyIT in the UK have a product page up:
The U2713 price is probably direct from Dell, while the U2711 is an aftermarket price. I wouldn't be surprised if, when the U2713 pops up on Dell's UK site, it goes for exactly the same as you've listed. I'm still hoping for a $600-$700 range for the US, though.

From the specifications:

Panel Type, Surface:
In-plane switching, anti glare with hard coat 3H
This doesn't mean much, because even glossy screens are at least hard coat 3H. The exact texture of the anti-glare is still up in the air, especially given this might be a new AH-IPS panel, but, yeah, I wouldn't expect it to be different from the norm.

So I wonder what the pictures of the glossy Dell screen found on the Chinese forums were of? I think there would be a huge market for Dell to produce an affordable, single input, glossy, display to compete with the like of the Korean displays. I know I would buy one in heart beat.

So I wonder what the pictures of the glossy Dell screen found on the Chinese forums were of? I think there would be a huge market for Dell to produce an affordable, single input, glossy, display to compete with the like of the Korean displays. I know I would buy one in heart beat.

Same here. I'll probably end up getting an Auria, Nixeus Vue, or one from Overlord Computer instead. Bad move by Dell to not offer a glossy model.

Engadget's report of a US $799 MSRP might be right, they could've had a confirmation from a Dell rep. It's pretty close to the Aussie price anyway: AUD $799 = USD $844

So far it's:

Taiwan: 23699 NTD / (1.05 VAT) / (29.92 conversion rate) ~= $754 US
Japan: 49,980 yen / (78.56 conversion rate) ~= $636 US
Australia: $799 AUD / (1.10 VAT) / (0.9454 conversion rate) ~= $768.31 US

These haven't hit $800 US. If it's that price here, it'll be higher priced than any of the above. Of course, I wouldn't put it past them to do that. Dell Australia's listed price for the U2711 is the same as the US, too, even though most other monitors there are higher priced than the US counterpart.

PCBuyIT in the UK have a product page up:
U2713HM : £499.00 ex. VAT (£598.80 inc. VAT) : due 28th September 2012
(the usual caveats apply - price & date subject to change)​
updated: pre orders now open, in stock next week, price is £479 ex. VAT, £574.80 inc. VAT

disappointing price, although the features and quality may be better than expected - perhaps the earlier comparisons of the U2412M to U2410 will not apply here? i.e. U2713HM will replace, rather than be sold alongside the U2711?

Last edited:
updated: pre orders now open, in stock next week, price is £479 ex. VAT, £574.80 inc. VAT

disappointing price, although the features and quality may be better than expected - perhaps the earlier comparisons of the U2412M to U2410 will not apply here? i.e. U2713HM will replace, rather than be sold alongside the U2711?

Eh, that's not Dell's site, so I don't give much weight to the price they have. Hell, it could even be more than the MSRP.

Back