Dell u2711 color uniformity problem

JamesP

n00b
I have a new Dell u2711 that noticeably gets darker and changes color tint towards the right side of the panel:

IMG_5003.JPG

Here are the color measurements on the Left, Middle, and Right side of the captured image:

Left:
RGB 199 207 218
HSV 215 9 85
Middle:
RGB 208 217 229
HSV 214 9 90
Right:
RGB 188 197 212
HSV 217 11 83

The left and middle have the same HS values, but a different brightness value, so at least the colors are the same and the brightness difference could be caused by vignetting in the camera.

However, between the left side and right side, the brightness is the same, but the color is definitely different.

Is this normal? Has anyone else seen something similar?

JP

I have a new Dell u2711 that noticeably gets darker and changes colour tint towards the right side of the panel:

Yeah, that's an issue with LG, I would contact Dell because I thought there was something about having a specific deltaE value out of box (Anandtech said something about that).

Also, I would resize your image (though this *is* the display forum) :D

From Anantech (nevermind if the review is poo)
Dell guarantees that you will get such a result without the need for any hardware calibration.

Yeah, that's an issue with LG, I would contact Dell because I thought there was something about having a specific deltaE value out of box (Anandtech said something about that).

Also, I would resize your image (though this *is* the display forum) :D

From Anantech (nevermind if the review is poo)
Dell guarantees that you will get such a result without the need for any hardware calibration.

The review Anandtech did is pretty poor. But I guess, in general, most monitor reviews are on most tech review sites. If it's anything like the U2410 then the "guarantee" is merely a marketing gimmick and isn't worth anything. That's because the screen is calibrated to 1 point - the exact centre of the screen, which means they guarantee accurate colour for an area the size of a postage stamp in the middle of your screen. Venture anywhere outside that and you'll likely be told any lighting and tinting/colour gradation changes are "within spec".

This is what happens when you subject users to 2nd rate LG panels and provide no way to correct for their flaws.. The solution is to use something else which provides corrective controls/uses higher grade panels, or keep exchanging panels until you get something you can live with.

The review Anandtech did is pretty poor. But I guess, in general, most monitor reviews are on most tech review sites. If it's anything like the U2410 then the "guarantee" is merely a marketing gimmick and isn't worth anything. That's because the screen is calibrated to 1 point - the exact centre of the screen, which means they guarantee accurate colour for an area the size of a postage stamp in the middle of your screen. Venture anywhere outside that and you'll likely be told any lighting and tinting/colour gradation changes are "within spec".

This is what happens when you subject users to 2nd rate LG panels and provide no way to correct for their flaws.. The solution is to use something else which provides corrective controls/uses higher grade panels, or keep exchanging panels until you get something you can live with.

Read the U2410 thread.

I got a refund on my U2410 for color uniformity (pink / green).

This seems to be a common problem for IPS panels. Try to find this complaint on lowly TN panels and there just doesn't seem to be any.

I'm guessing the yields on this technology is not the best and I wonder if LG grades and doles out their panels according to how much is paid.
ie. NEC = several thousands dollars
Dell = hundreds.

My U2711 had a really bad green to pink tint issue (I posted an example in the large U2711 thread.) I sent it back to Dell and I've decided its Eizo or NEC or nothing at all from now on.

I've decided to try for a replacement monitor because of this problem and another one.

Which Eizo or NEC models would you consider instead of this one? They all just seem so much more expensive than this one...

JP

Back