Dell U2415 with 16:10 1920 x 1200 AH-IPS panel

I got this display today. And dark corners are the only but obvious drawback.

post.cgi

Is the camera exaggerating the darkness or are they really that dark? If they are you should send it back.

I got this display today. And dark corners are the only but obvious drawback.

post.cgi

Yes my dark spots are almost exactly in the same places as yours. Granted with the brightness turned up a bit it isn't that blatant but you can still see it when reading text on lighter backgrounds.

Yes, it's camera's effect too. I'm not photographer. But in really it's still noticeable. Here is more exact picture:
post.cgi

Last edited:
Yes, it's camera's effect too. I'm not photographer. But in really it's still noticeable. Here is more exact picture:
post.cgi

What brightness setting is that? What is the manufacture date on the sticker on the back of the monitor? Those corners are bad. I would be sending those back for an exchange. I have seen 5 u2415's all sep 2014 manufacture date and none of them have dark corners like that. If the are dark on mine it would be extremely faint and I haven't been bothered by it.

Hi guys,

I got an U2415. All OK, but this glow on the right bottom corner is very bad.
I will send it back.

Tibsi
Dell_U2415.jpg

Dell_U2415_2.jpg

Hi guys,

I got an U2415. All OK, but this glow on the right bottom corner is very bad.
I will send it back.

Tibsi

I'm already on my second U2415 and both had the glow that you see. I don't think it is going to go away with another replacement. The glow kinda varies depending on the angle that you look at the monitor.

I'm already on my second U2415 and both had the glow that you see. I don't think it is going to go away with another replacement. The glow kinda varies depending on the angle that you look at the monitor.

Agreed. I have tried many 24" panels. The glow on the u2415 is on the low end.

for manufacturers to raise their production standards people really gotta stop buying shitty displays. i mean no one would ever buy a graphics card that makes images glow

Agreed. I have tried many 24" panels. The glow on the u2415 is on the low end.
Seconded.

Our office ordered 8 U2415's and 7 of them have less IPS glow than all ~10 of our HP Z24i monitors. They also have less IPS glow than my own BL2411PT., which I cherry picked from three different units.

Sad but true. An another owner has the same problem with dark corners, the manufactured date is August'14 too. And now I even don't hope exchange will solve a problem.
I have a request to the other owners on this forum. Please, call the last characters of serial number of your display? Mine is 1T2L.

Last edited:
Yes my dark spots are almost exactly in the same places as yours. Granted with the brightness turned up a bit it isn't that blatant but you can still see it when reading text on lighter backgrounds.
And what is manufactured date of your display?

Here is my suggestion to the moderator: to organize a vote among an u2415 owners and to insert it into the header of this theme.
For example.
Has your display any problems, defect?
1. Yes. It's yellow tint.
2. Yes. It's non-uniformity luminance.
3. Yes. It's bleeding backlight.
4. Yes. It's dark corners
5. An others problem.
6. No. I satisfied by my purchase quite

actually, the u2415 reviewed by TFTCentral is also a Aug/2014 rev A00 and showed almost no backlight or large glow.

P1070630_Medium.jpg

what do you guys think, cherry-picked monitor?

Last edited:
Or - just like with every damn brand today - quality control at the factory is handled by dead-tired underpaid Chinese slaves who don't even know the first thing about their job and don't give a fuck with a good reason since they're here because they're cheap, and we customers continue to buy shit displays anyway.

I want to test my monitors and take pictures to post here. What's the best way to illustrate the glow and dark spots?

Seconded.

Our office ordered 8 U2415's and 7 of them have less IPS glow than all ~10 of our HP Z24i monitors. They also have less IPS glow than my own BL2411PT., which I cherry picked from three different units.

I am considering both U2415 and Z24i, so this information is much appreciated. Can you share any other thoughts comparing the two monitors? For example, the coatings? Thanks.

In my experience, transportation can really fuck-up a monitor. I opened an older U24 model and trightened the screws around the display and all the bleed that monitor had was gone instantly. I think they get loose from transportation (came from 1000km away by truck, where it was without any bleeding).

Also took off the anti-glare coating; amazing colours and sharpness now.

Does the U2415 have some kind of film over the screen when you get it? I mean, other than the anti-glare coating.

Both of mine have kind of reflective dots near the top left corner which looks like a protective film when it's peeling off of a screen.

I want to test my monitors and take pictures to post here. What's the best way to illustrate the glow and dark spots?

just ensure that you are in a dark room and in front of the monitor, as glow normally gets worse in side viewing

That is good news! I don't think you would have been very happy with the panels on the u2414h. The ones on the u2415 are much better.

You're over exaggerating in saying it's "much better". The reviews say it's a slight upgrade in some areas, but to expect pretty much the same thing. The panel doesn't even reach the advertised 6ms spec according to TFTC:
With the Response Time setting now switched up to the 'Fast' mode, response times had improved a little to 7.1ms G2G average, not quite as fast as the 6ms G2G spec listed. However, this was at the cost of some noticeable overshoot which was probably too high to make it practical for most uses.

And they mark a con as saying:
More IPS glow than the U2414H panel

The main draw with this monitor is the aspect ratio, not because it has a "much better" panel. I personally think it's a waste of money over the p2414/u2414 unless you need the 16:10 resolution, which a lot of people love.

Does the U2415 have some kind of film over the screen when you get it? I mean, other than the anti-glare coating.

Both of mine have kind of reflective dots near the top left corner which looks like a protective film when it's peeling off of a screen.

My u2414 has this also. I think it's a mark from a manufacturing machine or something along those lines. All the replacements I swapped also had it. It's very small and barely noticeable on mine though.

In my experience, transportation can really fuck-up a monitor. I opened an older U24 model and trightened the screws around the display and all the bleed that monitor had was gone instantly. I think they get loose from transportation (came from 1000km away by truck, where it was without any bleeding).

Also took off the anti-glare coating; amazing colours and sharpness now.

How did you take it off? Any pics?

Last edited:
You're over exaggerating in saying it's "much better". The reviews say it's a slight upgrade in some areas, but to expect pretty much the same thing. The panel doesn't even reach the advertised 6ms spec according to TFTC:

And they mark a con as saying:

The main draw with this monitor is the aspect ratio, not because it has a "much better" panel. I personally think it's a waste of money over the p2414/u2414 unless you need the 16:10 resolution, which a lot of people love.

My u2414 has this also. I think it's a mark from a manufacturing machine or something along those lines. All the replacements I swapped also had it. It's very small and barely noticeable on mine though.

How did you take it off? Any pics?

I've read some stuff saying both regarding the 14 vs 15.

In my case I bought 3 of them, and was having an issue with GPU scaling where I considered going to the 16:9 2414. Eventually I worked it out so I am keeping the 15, but at a total cost of $200 more than the u2414 (for all 3) some people might not think its worth it.

Dell has the u2415 for $349 but you can get it for $299+ tax. The u2414 is available for $259 with no tax. Depends if you think 16:10 is worth ~$60 more over the u2414.

Can owners of this monitor please comment on their settings? I'm using custom colour profile, with RGB all set to 100%. Brightness at 12, contrast at 70 and sharpness at 30%.

August 14 A00

It would be awesome if someone could write down at what setting would be best to test the monitor for any bleeds or tints in the first few hours after the purchase. Also should it be completely dark in the room while making the tests ?
Thanks !

For reference, this is what TFT Central ended up with for their unit:

Brightness 28

Contrast 75

Preset Mode
Custom Color
RGB 100, 97, 97

hey guys, are the bezels about the same (thickness wise) on the 2415 and 2414?

Last edited:
Anyone know how to get into the U2415's service menu? One of mine won't make the beep sounds when a button is pressed even though "Button Sound" is enabled.

have you tried just resetting the screen to factory defaults to see if that fixes it?

Here's my Aug/2014 rev00, standard preset at 27/65 is the best configuration for me (I've tried TFTCental settings but they are too much red).

almost no backlight bleeding (just like the review), but a little glow... no miracles on IPS :( I've however noticed a little bad uniformity on the right middle/lower corner of screen... it seems the color is less warmer there :/

(sorry the bad potato pics, but in the dark and without flash my Sony V3 sucks :/ )

Last edited:
One of my two U2415s works, but the other does not. I've tried resetting it and unplugging its USB uplink cable. I've also tried connecting via its other inputs.

The Dell monitors can beep, but that's about it. The menu beeps are disabled by default and must be enabled in monitor settings.

edit: my beeps are working! just installed the drivers ;)

btw, another setting that I've liked (less yellow/red than standard): Custom Color - 89, 91, 100 at 27/65 (brightness/contrast) and Gamma on MAC (standard mode is also using MAC gamma (2.2?), I think)

Last edited:
Back