Dell U2415 with 16:10 1920 x 1200 AH-IPS panel

Synomenon, can't wait to hear about your impressions! I have much hope for this monitor.

U2415_14.jpg

U2415_15.jpg

U2415_16.jpg

U2415_17.jpg

source: http://www.chiphell.com/article-11961-1.html

Last edited:
So looking at the conclusion of that review, google translate is confusing me because I can't figure out if they are saying it is an upgrade to the U2412m or not quite as good.

So looking at the conclusion of that review, google translate is confusing me because I can't figure out if they are saying it is an upgrade to the U2412m or not quite as good.

It says U2415 is the 16:10 version of U2414H because they look identical somehow. But U2415 is the clear winner because it has better panel thus better color reproduction.

tftcentral confirmed there's no support for 16:9 ratio on the U2415.
And no 1:1 as well.
Only 16:10 (you don't say!), 4:3, and 5:4.

Dell = idiots.

Yes, Dell has become too big to fail (succeed) better yet, used to be a fan of theirs, not anymore. It's crazy how big and overwhelming they have become, it's sickening in all actuality. Massive oversight, glad you pointed this out, was ready to buy one - good to know it lacks the ability to scale an image.

Last edited:
I don't understand why they are so popular since almost all of their monitors have unique quality control and performance issues along with the typical quality control issues competitors suffer from. They do offer an easy exchange service, but so do plenty of online and local retailers, depending on where one lives of course.

The Asus PB248QE (Europe), BenQ BL2411PT and Samsung S24A850D (semi-glossy) all offer 16:9 support for external devices (consoles) and are PWM Free.

Last edited:
That's not true for the BL2411PT, I've read about and discussed the issue with two owners who could never get proper 16:9, no matter the input and source resolution (both tested with Xbow 360 and BR player).
The 'aspect' option remained greyed-out no matter what and all they could get was a distorted image filling the screen.
BenQ support couldn't provide a solution.

According to those two it doesn't work at all and I trust them because they've tried everything. Not even 4:3 works by the way.
BenQ support said the weirdest thing; 'you have to enable overscan first' but of course it doesn't work.

Scaling and ratio control are probably the most overlooked aspects in any review on the internet, and one of the thing manufacturers particularly don't give a damn about.
(I think neither BenQ's nor Dell's engineers burned even a single brain cell about it, they're probably not even aware of the issue)
AFAIK except yourself and prad.de nobody tries external sources to check if the monitor works right with those, so personally I don't believe anything as long as I don't get a solid - real life test - confirmation.

Guess I will give up on 1920x1200 just like I gave up on 2560x1440 and stick to 1920x1080.
The latter are the only options on the market that combine good response, low lag and full compatibility with external sources.

The monitor is tragically overpriced. Heck I can get a BL3200PT for $100 more.
Those prices are inflated for negotiation. It looks like you can get these from third parties or on sale for less than $300 like the old model.

I ordered two of these for a dual monitor setup and they just arrived today. If anyone has questions about the monitor I'd be more than happy to answer them.

I ordered two of these for a dual monitor setup and they just arrived today. If anyone has questions about the monitor I'd be more than happy to answer them.

Great! Here is my questions:

1. Have you noticed any backlight bleed?
2. How bad is the IPS glow?
3. What's the coating type - is it matte or more like semi-glossy? Do you see any sparkling on white, grey colors etc (when looking at white color up close and moving your head)?
4. Does it seem OK to you speedwise, I mean in games, movies etc
5. Do you feel there is any input lag?
6. Do you have any eyestrain or anything unusual after switching to these Dells?
7. What's the lowest brightness on these? Do you think it would be OK for a dark room?
8. How is it colorwise, everything OK, no color tint?
What's your general impression?

1. There's no noticeable backlight bleed on either of my monitors.
2. The IPS glow is not that noticeable when viewing the monitor straight on, but becomes more noticeable when viewing from the side. However, unless you are looking at a pitch black, or nearly pitch black image (such as movie credits), you probably won't notice or find it bothersome.
3. The panel has a light matte coating. I haven't noticed any sparkling on whites or grays. For reference, I did notice sparking on white and grays on my previous monitor, the Samsung 215TW, an S-PVA panel with a matte coating.
4. The speed seems fine. There is no noticeable motion blur.
5. I haven't noticed any input lag, For reference, I was sensitive to a minor amount of input lag on the Samsung 215TW.
6. No eyestrain or headaches after spending most of the day using them for work, games, and watching videos.
7. The default brightness was set to 75, which was a little too high for me. I changed it to 50 based on my room conditions (and I'm considering dropping it even lower). It will be fine in a dark (pitch black) room if you set the brightness to 20 or less.
8. Colors are great right out of the box - no color tint, which I would have noticed as I do a lot of work in Photoshop and other creative software.

I will admit that I was a little hesitant to pick these up because of the lack of reviews and the problems that can come with new technology products. However, after spending a day using them I'm glad I bit while they were on sale. I should also mention that the build quality of these has exceeded my expectations - the use of high quality metals and plastics help contribute to the overall premium look and feel of the monitor.

Thanks for sharing your impressions.

Have you tried external sources (consoles, BR/DVD player) ?

This monitor shouldn't be able to display 16:9 sources correctly, stretching the picture to fullscreen and therefore distort it.

I haven't tried external sources as I have a dedicated home theater setup for my game consoles, Blu-ray, etc, but I can confirm that the monitor only supports 16:10, 4:3 and 5:4 aspect ratios - there is no support for 16:9. Here's a picture of the OSD:

dell-u2415-aspect-ratios.jpg

I tried changing my aspect ratio to 1920x1080 and as expected, it stretched the image to fit the display. However, through the NVIDIA Control Panel, it is possible to set the GPU to handle the scaling, which will prevent the monitor from stretching the image.

I'm not sure why Dell hasn't included a 16:9 option. It doesn't matter much to me because I bought these strictly for PC use, but anyone looking for a multi-purpose monitor (PC, game consoles, Blu-ray, cable, etc) may want to look elsewhere or wait and see if Dell adds 16:9 support to the next revision of the monitor.

Here are a few pics that compare the U2415 and S2415H. Both are PWM free but U2415 specifically mentioned that "Analogue backlight dimming control for flicker free display" in its User 's Guide.

Both monitors are new product released a weeks ago. U2415 has light coating and text is actually quite good comparing to the glossy S2415H, but still I much much prefer the text on S2415H.
S2415H only has HDMI and VGA input, a little bit lame since I need to connect both laptop and PC to the monitor. U2415 has two HDMI, two Displayport(1 full size, 1 mini), one Displayport out, which are more than enough. It doesn't have DVI though but I can live with that. The USB3.0 hub on U2415 is very fast and thus save me 20 bucks on a hub.
The color looks similar to me, and I don't really care about that as long as they are better than average TN panels. S2415H does gave better visual feeling as the glossy screen really pop up the vivid color. But I think U2415 is the clear winner for general use as the 24" size is much larger than that on the 16:9 24" S2415H and the extra vertical real estate makes daily work more comfortable.

For the text clarity, the first one is glossy S2415H, the bottom one is U2415

Last edited:
It says U2415 is the 16:10 version of U2414H because they look identical somehow. But U2415 is the clear winner because it has better panel thus better color reproduction.

I was wondering about the comparison to the U2412M, not the U2414H

zero002021, astr627

This was really helpful! Thanks a lot
Guess it's time to replace my 7-year old Nec 2190UXi with this Dell.

Thanks for posting. TFT Central anoints the new king of 24" 16:10 monitors.

That's because he has not reviewed the PB248Q (has 16:9 and movie playback friendly features), S24A850D which has a lighter coating and 16:9 support and semi-glossy Z24i (yes, it is famous for having screen uniformity issues, but once more people buy the U2415 the same reports will surface).

Last edited:
That's because he has not reviewed the PB248Q (has 16:9 and movie playback friendly features), S24A850D which has a lighter coating and 16:9 support and semi-glossy Z24i (yes, it is famous for having screen uniformity issues, but once more people buy the U2415 the same reports will surface).

I'd hope this one is better because I had the PB248Q and returned it - due to annoying corner glow. Though maybe all IPS are like that. In that case, I shouldn't bother looking at this one either.

I'd hope this one is better because I had the PB248Q and returned it - due to annoying corner glow. Though maybe all IPS are like that. In that case, I shouldn't bother looking at this one either.

For what it's worth, both of my U2415's have next to no corner glow, which is consistent with the TFT Central review. I can't say if all panels are this good or if I got lucky, but you could always buy one and return it if yours has severe corner glow.

For what it's worth, both of my U2415's have next to no corner glow, which is consistent with the TFT Central review. I can't say if all panels are this good or if I got lucky, but you could always buy one and return it if yours has severe corner glow.

How aggressive is the AG coating?

Is this likely to come down in price soon? I just ordered an Asus VS24AH. I can't see myself spending $300-400 on a U2415 when Korean 2560 monitors sell for that much.

Is this likely to come down in price soon? I just ordered an Asus VS24AH. I can't see myself spending $300-400 on a U2415 when Korean 2560 monitors sell for that much.

It was on sale for 270 USD a few days ago. You can always sign up a deal alert on slickdeals or something

Yeah, Dell had a 30% off sale the other day and I snagged two U2415s for less than $550. So far I agree with zero002021 (above).

I have mine on a dual monitor Ergotron arm. I actually downgraded from a U2713H + U2410 to these two monitors. I don't do the same work I did when I first acquired those two monitors so these U2415s are more than good enough for me now. Not concerned about the 16:9 support either. I have a nice LCD TV on the opposite side of the room to hook up to if I need to.

Here are a few pics that compare the U2415 and S2415H.

thanks for the pics @astr627. Could you upload more closeup photos?

on the U2415 the image looks more washed out and blurry (either in color and sharpness I mean) :( Am I right?

btw, if the wallpapers are 1920x1080, please do don't stretch them on the U2415, so it gives us a more decent comparison between monitors

Last edited:

Sadly, in the dump that I live in, there's a 10% restocking fee pretty much everywhere.

thanks for the pics @astr627. Could you upload more closeup photos?

on the U2415 the image looks more washed out and blurry (either in color and sharpness I mean) :( Am I right?

btw, if the wallpapers are 1920x1080, please do don't stretch them on the U2415, so it gives us a more decent comparison between monitors

the display on right has excess saturation.

Any one with this monitor having the display port/HDMI issues with the limited rgb color signal and nvidia cards like the U2414H had? Hopefully it was fixed. Just curious before I buy one.

Back