Dell U2413 and U2713H Official Information Appears

It looks like either U2713h or U3013 (U3014?) will be my future screen replacing my aging CRT monitor. It is not available in Canada (where I live) yet but surprisingly, it is already on sale in netplus.com.au (in Australia) for $769!

I wonder if the new panels are true 10-bit or still 8+2 if anybody happens to know? Not that, it crucially matters just out of curiosity.

Last edited:
I wonder if the new panels or true 10-bit or still 8+2 if anybody happens to know? Not that, it crucially matters just out of curiosity.

There's should be no practical difference if the case is alike 8bit or 6+2.

I'm rather concerning
1. if they solved typical AH-IPS image retention problem.
2. if they have something other than W-LED.

NEC PA271W is now on sale at B&H. I am wondering what might be a better buy then: the new Dell U2713H or NEC PA271W? Maybe NEC is also about to release an upgrade to PA271W?!

Would this monitor be a good upgrade from the 3007WFP-HC? I've been using the 3007 for the past 5 years or so, and I'm noticing more and more ghosting when gaming, so I'm starting to think about getting a replacement for it. I'd prefer to stick with Dell monitors, since I've never had trouble with them at work or at home.

I say the nec.

I wished people would also put a little effort in justifying their answers! ;)

Nevertheless, I guess nobody can give a reasonable answer since the Dell display is fresh out. I would probably need to wait for 2-3 months before the first reviews show up online.

NEC displays are only the best for colorimeter owning users who need the features NEC's offer for work.

Last edited:
Would this monitor be a good upgrade from the 3007WFP-HC? I've been using the 3007 for the past 5 years or so, and I'm noticing more and more ghosting when gaming, so I'm starting to think about getting a replacement for it. I'd prefer to stick with Dell monitors, since I've never had trouble with them at work or at home.
I'm thinking of replacing my 4 year old 3008WFP with a 27" like the U2713HM or Samsung S27B970D. There's a significant decrease in size between 30" and 27" monitors. I found this graphic over on DisplayWars.com:

27" 16:9 vs. 30" 16:10

jsczzo.png

Definitely has me reconsidering whether dropping to a 27" is the right move.

I'm thinking of replacing my 4 year old 3008WFP with a 27" like the U2713HM or Samsung S27B970D. There's a significant decrease in size between 30" and 27" monitors. I found this graphic over on DisplayWars.com:

jsczzo.png

I wouldn't. I don't consider 27" 16:9 enough of a step up over my 24" 16:10.

I would wait for a better 30" 16:10. The rumored U3013 (14?).

jsczzo.png

This is mis-leading. 27'' 16:9 and 30'' 16:10 both have 2560 horizontal pixels. You lose nothing horizontally. I'd rather 30'' anyway but it's way outside of my price range.

This is mis-leading. 27'' 16:9 and 30'' 16:10 both have 2560 horizontal pixels. You lose nothing horizontally.

not exactly. you don't lose horizontal pixels, but since the 27" has smaller pixels, you do lose size horizontally. and you lose size vertically both in terms of pixels and size.

I wouldn't. I don't consider 27" 16:9 enough of a step up over my 24" 16:10.

I would wait for a better 30" 16:10. The rumored U3013 (14?).
You're right. Order canceled. I can wait a few months to see what the U3013 has to offer.

not exactly. you don't lose horizontal pixels, but since the 27" has smaller pixels, you do lose size horizontally. and you lose size vertically both in terms of pixels and size.

Beat me to it. ;)

Point I was making was that you could take 2x 1080P screen, one 23'' and another 27'', draw boxes just like that, and make it look like the 27'' is superior, when it reality it's exactly the same thing. :p

Yes I know the overall size matters to some, but I actually prefer the smaller pixel size myself (so I'd rather the 23'' 1080P screen over the 27''). But anyway, it's a little off-topic so I'll just leave it at that. Anyway, enjoy your eventual 30''... one day I'll go max resolution as single monitor can give you as well. :D

In my opinion it's apples to oranges. You're comparing a 27" monitor with a 16:9 panel at 2560x1440, to a 30" monitor with a 16:10 panel at 2560x1600. Your second sentence is a bit misleading as you present it as a negative, when in reality it's a positive since the 27" will feature a higher PPI despite the lesser aspect ratio (~108ppi vs. ~100ppi). As was said, the horizontal pixel count doesn't change when going from a 27" to a 30". But consider the following:

1920x1080 looks great on a 21.5" (102ppi)
1920x1200 looks good on a 24" (94ppi)
1920x1080 looks like sin on a 27" (81ppi)

As physical size increases, the density of pixels decreases (native horizontal resolution being equal, of course). Aspect ratio is largely a personal preference and it is subjective how much productivity one gains or loses by the marginal 10% difference in vertical pixel real estate.

I own and use a U2711, and I find I am not wanting for additional space, and so an increase to 30" would not be worth it for me both dollar-wise and productivity-wise.

EDIT: I'm new here, so hello! And yes, I am a monitor aficionado :)

Last edited:

I have the same Dell monitor as you and notice no ghosting at all.

Your Dell is a wide gamut monitor while the two 27" options only support sRGB. The upcoming U3013 is also probably 10bit and wide gamut. My impression is that wide gamut adds to the price, right? So I guess another important question is if you need/want a wide gamut monitor.

Another matter to consider is if you prefer a glossy or matte display. The Samsung is glossy while Dell monitors are matte.

Nevertheless, look at the following review: http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/dell_3008wfp.htm. It compares your monitor to U3011 and it seems U3011 wins hands down. So I would guess once U3013 is out, it should be clearly superior to your current monitor.

Last edited:
Question here -- Do we have info on if these are True 60hz displays? Or do these drop down to 59.94hz? There are some issues with using 59.94hz monitors when streaming and using various video capture solutions.

Soo just verifying before i pull the trigger on anything.

I see from reading the posts that a few of you have ordered this monitor, was hoping to get some feedback as mine arrives tomorrow.

I had 3 of the U2713HM models, two had multiple dead pixels and 2 of the three had significant Yellow light bleed? form the bottom right corner.

This is my last shot with a Dell Monitor and while I didn't get the monitor. If this doesn't work I am going to break the bank and go either NEC or wait for the new Samsung 27" Touch Screen.

Thanks!

...was hoping to get some feedback as mine arrives tomorrow...

I think a lot of people would be interested in what you have to say about the monitor when it arrives actually! :D Please share!

My U2713H is out for delivery as I speak. Thankfully, my partner will be at home to sign for it. First thing I'll be doing this evening is breaking in the LCDs by letting the conditioner run. Also awaiting TFT's review for some quick ICC profiles until I get around to using a colorimeter.

Does anyone know, Is the u2413 going to cost $800+ ?? too much$$$

It's probably going to be the same price as the U2410. The U2713H is priced the same as the U2711... sometime in the spring we'll probably see the U2410/U2711/U3011 discontinued.

Now, I just need to sell my U2711. ;)

I am looking forward to your initial impressions/reviews of the U2713h.

Will update with a personal review soon, but some early first impressions:

1. Surprised that the box its packed in is significantly smaller than the the U2713HM it replaced
2. Cosmetically it is similar, but there are some minor tweeks

3. The power button is the same, but the other buttons are replaced with touch sensitive lights.

4. In the back of the monitor, the Dell logo is Silver Metallic and the stand has a slightly smaller base, but otherwise very close to the U2713H

Cables that came with it are also different
1. Display Port 2, HDMI and VGA, and DVI-D, I guess for the price difference the threw in the display port and HDMI

Picture first impressions:
- Screen uniformity EXCELLENT, very slight light bleed in top right corner but very slight UPDATE: In a very dark room Light is noticed out of the corners, but again very minimal
- Colors...WOW. The U2713HM had great colors but this one does take it up a notch
- I think there is a little too much red push, which I need to tweek
- Not sure if the settings are different than the U2713H, but the contrast seems improved with a quick test on Assassin's Creed III

Anti-Glare Coating
- Not sure if it the same as the U2713hm, but very close, sharpness of text is excellent

Ok, that's my 30 second tour, really just unpacked it, going to play around with it. I had three bad U2713HM monitors 2 with dead pixels and 2 with really horrific LED bleed, so I am 100% happy with this upgrade as of right now.

Pictures and review incomming

Last edited:
Currently in Dell Chat trying to get the rep to price match the U2713H's US sale price (849.99) since it is 1040$ on the Canadian site which is lame...and they said no.

Unboxing mine here as well. Coming from a U2711...

- The coating difference is VAST. I was able to tell immediately that the coating of the panel was different, as I had just boxed up the U2711 and unpacked the U2713H. After turning it on, I was able to see the difference instantly. Whites are indeed white, with little to no crystalized effect according to my eyes. The difference is night and day. Seriously. Another point is that images seem much sharper, despite me using the same exact sharpness setting (50). I think this has to do with the lesser grain on the panel. +++ all around.

- Turned brightness down to 30. On an all black background, I can see a noticeable white BLB coming from the upper right corner from eyeballing it. Not too distracting, and I normally don't use an all black background.

- On another note, no dead or stuck pixels.

Going to break it in now by running the conditioner. Will report back later!

To those who have received it: does it have a cooling fan?

Currently in Dell Chat trying to get the rep to price match the U2713H's US sale price (849.99) since it is 1040$ on the Canadian site which is lame...and they said no.

On the US site, it was $999. They just reduced the price in the new year. I am not going to buy it for $1040. $850 is more reasonable. I will wait for sales.

Will update with a personal review soon, but some early first impressions

Please can you check for image retention issues? Turn the brightness to 50%, keep a white Firefox window open for about half hour and then switch to a dark grey background (#404040). Do you see remnants of the Firefox window?

Happy to report after 30 min on fire fox screen there was no image retention, my screen remained black, I was almost afraid to do this :)

A few corrections to my initial unboxing

1. No HDMI cable, my bad
2. Screen uniformity was great out of the box and the correction hardware was not even turned on.
3. Red Push issue was solved after tweeking

Back