Dell U2412M or Samsung S2A950D for gaming

Murzilka

[H]ard|Gawd
Long story short - which one do you think is better for games?
(Of course, I read the threads about both models but I would like to compare exactly those two)

Thank you -)

S27A950D if you only play fast first person shooters that take place in bright settings (no Doom 3, Deus Ex or anything with dark scenes, will not work with that screen).

Dell U2412M for all genres except for old school CS :)

Long story short - which one do you think is better for games?
(Of course, I read the threads about both models but I would like to compare exactly those two)

Thank you -)

Depends on many factors. Can your rig push out a steady 90fps constantly on the games you want to play? What sorts of games are we talking about?

In theory the motion on the samsung should be better, as it can refresh twice as often, it also should be a more responsive panel as TN panels are faster than IPS panels when it comes to refresh rate, but AFAIK both screens have very low input lag.

Also, how sensitive you are personally to motion blur also plays a roll, I am not bothered gaming on my NEC screen at 60Hz, some people flat out refuse to game on anything less than a CRT with at least 100Hz refresh rate and basically 0ms response time.

S27A950D if you only play fast first person shooters that take place in bright settings (no Doom 3, Deus Ex or anything with dark scenes, will not work with that screen).

Dell U2412M for all genres except for old school CS :)
Are the dark scenes that bad? And is gamma shift on top and the bottom differ too much when viewed from different angles...

Depends on many factors. Can your rig push out a steady 90fps constantly on the games you want to play? What sorts of games are we talking about?

In theory the motion on the samsung should be better, as it can refresh twice as often, it also should be a more responsive panel as TN panels are faster than IPS panels when it comes to refresh rate, but AFAIK both screens have very low input lag.

Also, how sensitive you are personally to motion blur also plays a roll, I am not bothered gaming on my NEC screen at 60Hz, some people flat out refuse to game on anything less than a CRT with at least 100Hz refresh rate and basically 0ms response time.
I had a chance to test the u2412m rev.a03 yesterday and it was incomparably faster and almost ghosting-free in comparison with my present pva monitor. I had dell before but it was rev. a00 and there was alot more of lag and ghosting on it.
I have a powerful rig and maintaing 120fps in most modern games is not a problem. The question is how shittier samsung is, being a TN panel... In terms of gamma shift on top and bottom....I am sure that bright image will look beautiful but what about dark scenes?.. I've read in another thread that some user claiming it was better than his dell u3011, which is an IPS panel. How can it be better?
Thank you.

Well, let me put it this way: if you get a good unit of Samsung S27A950D I´m sure it can be a killer monitor. It has some good traits like perfect motion, no inpug lag to speak of, 120hz, good contrast and image quality for a TN panel. However I´m a bit disappointed with Samsung as I have tried 3 different units and they´ve all had the same problems in dark scenes with severe backlight bleeding. So if you´re going to try it out, order from a retailer with a good return policy.

Last week I tried Hp zr2740w and after concluding that the problems i was seeing (dark stripe across the screen) was model specific, I returned it. The day after I went with the screen to the postal office, Dustin (swedish retailer) had deleted my bill and the case was closed :) (i didn´t have to pay the shipping cost either). If you have a retailer with excellent service like that where you live, then it can be worth to try the S27A950D.

Yes,Ericone, I've got it covered the returns. Actually I expect the screen to arrive tomorrow or on tuesday, and I've already arranged the possible return with the retailer.
Really interesting to see what's so special in that tn panel. I want 120hz for my battlefield, but if it sucks ( and it should), I ll get the dell and be happy I guess. Still, curious to know what others think about those displays, though.
The hp you mentionned is IPS 27" - they all currently suck for gaming. ))

Yes,Ericone, I've got it covered the returns. Actually I expect the screen to arrive tomorrow or on tuesday, and I've already arranged the possible return with the retailer.
Really interesting to see what's so special in that tn panel. I want 120hz for my battlefield, but if it sucks ( and it should), I ll get the dell and be happy I guess. Still, curious to know what others think about those displays, though.
The hp you mentionned is IPS 27" - they all currently suck for gaming. ))

Cool, let me know what you think about the S27A950D when it arrives. If you like it and it doesn´t have issues, I´m considering trying one again and sending it back in case it sucks :) It has many good traits and if I can only use it for dark games it would rock.

I decided not to try the samsung since it is obviuolsy not for me. I kinda overlooked that it is so reflcetive. I'm sitting in a bright room and I dont usually game in complete darkness, if I play games in the evening or night I turn on the lights or the table lamp. I had the Asus 120hz monitor which is glossy and it was a pein for me for I had to see myself in reflection all the time. I mean I am beautiful, and I like to look at myself but sometimes I simply want to read the internets... So I'll pass on the samsung I guess.

I decided not to try the samsung since it is obviuolsy not for me. I kinda overlooked that it is so reflcetive. I'm sitting in a bright room and I dont usually game in complete darkness, if I play games in the evening or night I turn on the lights or the table lamp. I had the Asus 120hz monitor which is glossy and it was a pein for me for I had to see myself in reflection all the time. I mean I am beautiful, and I like to look at myself but sometimes I simply want to read the internets... So I'll pass on the samsung I guess.

I see what you mean :) The problem for is that I can´t really use my S23A750D at daytime because of the reflections, but not at nightime either because of annoying uniformity issues and backlight bleeding. I pulled the trigger on Eizo Foris FS2331 yesterday and it should get to me today. I think I can learn to deal with the trailing/ghosting because of the great image quality the screen delivers (i´ve had it before).

Yeah, the image quality of foris2331 is ideal, but it does have some ghosting.

I have played with my Foris now for some hours, and man I love it even more than last time i`ve owned it. I feel it´s almost criminal to make such a perfect display and sell it so cheap.
For less than half of the price of a S27A950D I got:

- Best contrast ratio of all screens i´ve tested
- Best black depht I´ve seen on an LCD (better than my plasma TV)
- Zero uniformity issues, not even a hint of backlight bleed
- Colors that are vivid, pop and without annoying tinting out of the box
- A screen that doesn´t reflect my face when I play at daytime, but still doesn´t have the AG coating that ruins white on IPS screens I´ve tested

Screens I´ve tested recently:
Samsung S27A950D, S23A750D, HP Zr2740W, Eizo Foris FS2331. The Foris was around 200 euro in sweden, the S27a950D 540 euros, the S23A750 300 euro and the HP 650 euro. Foris is the best screen all around. The other ones excelled at certain things but had some horrible drawbacks that made them useless.

The only flaw I can see with this screen is the trailing/ghosting. When I started up the thing I thought "Holy crap, this is bad" but just a few hours later it was much better. Is this due to the CCFL backlighting that takes some time to warm up?

Yes, it takes several hours for it to warm up completely. There is a trick - disable the power save function, then you may turn it on while the computer isn't running and it will be warming up. By the time you turn on the pc, it will be already warmed up.
You should look into the dell u2412m. It is even better for games. -)

As to me, I am going through my second replacement of the dell u2412m. The first one started flicker after I played some battlefiled on it. And the second one showed one dead(or stuck) pixel after I played some battlefield. -) Looks like bf3 kills monitors :eek:

Yes, it takes several hours for it to warm up completely. There is a trick - disable the power save function, then you may turn it on while the computer isn't running and it will be warming up. By the time you turn on the pc, it will be already warmed up.
You should look into the dell u2412m. It is even better for games. -)

As to me, I am going through my second replacement of the dell u2412m. The first one started flicker after I played some battlefiled on it. And the second one showed one dead(or stuck) pixel after I played some battlefield. -) Looks like bf3 kills monitors

I was into getting the Dell, as it is cheap and has gotten really good reviews (like the Foris). What pulled me over to the Eizo was the VA-panel. Also having 16:10 is very sweet.

Having owned both, what do you think about the U2412m compared to the Foris when it comes to black depht, black levels and performance in dark games?

On all other flat monitors I´ve tried there appears to be some kind of grey/dark blue glow where it is supposed to be pitch black (like in Doom 3 or Deus Ex). On my FS2331 black is really black and I get immersed in games on a whole new level because of it :) The screen feels more dim than usual, but it´s great for my eyes. No strain whatsoever.

Well I was comparing those two monitors yesterday, and today I broght the dell back to the shop for replacemnet, which will arrive only next week unfortunately. So, here what I can say about those displays:

In short, for gaming dell is better for sure. For grapcics work - foris is a steal. I think for the graphics quality it has, it should cost at least twice as much as it costs now. I mean, the average 0.8dE deviation in all colors without profiling (just adjusting RGB gain for 6500K) speaks volumes...

For dark games, dell is better - it shows more details in very dark spots, it is more responsive, has much less ghosting. And in some cases (depending on the colors displayed) I can see absolutely no ghosting at all. It looks very oversaturated in comparison to eizo though, but there that goodness called saturation control in the monitor menu so that is not a problem. Actually the normal state of the Dell is the normal state of the eizo +8 saturation. If you increase the saturation on foris by 8 points the image on both monitors will be almost identical. (note - I compare Game mode on dell vs User mode on foris)
On dell the black is black as much as on foris + some ips glow. Personally Im not bothered by it at all.
For eyes strein - sure nothing compares to foris. But I like bright image, so dell suits me better.

Also on foris the image is crisper, every small detail is drawn and easily visible. But that is so on every eizo monitor... -) And is the main difference between eizo and the rest of the displays.

Last edited:
Well I was comparing those two monitors yesterday, and today I broght the dell back to the shop for replacemnet, which will arrive only next week unfortunately. So, here what I can say about those displays:

In short, for gaming dell is better for sure. For grapcics work - foris is a steal. I think for the graphics quality it has, it should cost at least twice as much as it costs now. I mean, the average 0.8dE deviation in all colors without profiling (just adjusting RGB gain for 6500K) speaks volumes...

For dark games, dell is better - it shows more details in very dark spots, it is more responsive, has much less ghosting. And in some cases (depending on the colors displayed) I can see absolutely no ghosting at all. It looks very oversaturated in comparison to eizo though, but there that goodness called saturation control in the monitor menu so that is not a problem. Actually the normal state of the Dell is the normal state of the eizo +8 saturation. If you increase the saturation on foris by 8 points the image on both monitors will be almost identical. (note - I compare Game mode on dell vs User mode on foris)
On dell the black is black as much as on foris + some ips glow. Personally Im not bothered by it at all.
For eyes strein - sure nothing compares to foris. But I like bright image, so dell suits me better.

Also on foris the image is crisper, every small detail is drawn and easily visible. But that is so on every eizo monitor... -) And is the main difference between eizo and the rest of the displays.

Thank you for the comparsion :) There are some things that are compelling with the Dell, and I´m just a few clicks away from ordering it and trying it out (14 day return/distance laws, i love it!). I´m doing lots of paperwork so 16:10 is interesting, and no ghosting I would love as well. However I´m quite picky about uniformity and detail in image quality, so those things may be better on the Foris.

How is the AG-coating on the Dell? Is it noticable in bright settings?

i just got the dell 2412 yesterday after trying numerous monitor this month . . . for gaming it great no notifiable ghosting and just snaps into place quickly , colors great , AG very low least amount ivge ever seen on monitor , i still will attempt to take out ;)

Ericone- the ag coating doesnt bother me whether it is agressive or nor - grainy white looks Ok to me. So, I cant really say if it's good or not on the dell. For me - it is perfect, for someone who cares about those things it may be different. -)

Back