Dell t5810 cpu upgrade

TeleFragger

[H]ard|Gawd
Ok so I have a Dell T5810 with 16gb ram, ssd and Nvidia Quadro K620 that I use as a daily home use machine. Lightroom, some gaming, etc...
it has a Xeon E5-1620 v3 chip and it works fine. Well now that chips are falling in prices I thought of going to an E5-26xx cpu but I cant read anywhere if I can with this motherboard. I know we took a few HP Z800s and combined them from single cpu to dual cpu machines. The HP Z800 has a 4 core and 6 core cpu so the chip was different. the 6 core chips would not work in the mobo where the 4 core cpus were that we pulled. Looking into it, that it is because the nm was different.

so my question is, how can I determine what the top cpu I can put in is?

Processor Options Intel® Xeon® processor E5-1600 v3 Series plus select Intel Xeon E5-2600 v3 with up to 14 cores Single or dual and Intel Advanced Vector Extensions, Intel Trusted Execution Technology, Intel AES New instructions, Optimized Intel Turbo Boost and optional Intel vPro™ technology

datasheet can be found here...
http://i.dell.com/sites/doccontent/...-ALL-Dell-Precision-Tower-5810-spec-sheet.pdf

which lead me to here
https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/processors/xeon/xeon-e5-v3-spec-update.html

If you've quoted the factory specs about 'select e5-2600' then I think you've got a shot.

I did some digging on cpuworld on the e5-1620 and an e5-2690 and there's a lot of similarity to the cpu designs, making it seem like the 2690 is just the 'big daddy' in the same lineup even though technically it is from another series. There were some subtle differences and changes, but it seems even dell sells the t5810 with 26xx processors, so as long as you have the same bios level (and there weren't any hardware revisions like they sometimes did in their server line), I think you'll be good to go. What's interesting is that unless you're going full-tilt (e5-2687/97), a newer processor will even consume less power even when more powerful. (y)

thx.. yeah I'm hoping so. I'm gonna hold off on that for a bit as I just got a new monitor and need to do some looking...

so hopefully I can just add it here and people will see it as I don't think a few posts would tie it all together..

bought a Philips 326M monitor and am loving it. Not as nice as my Dell U3011 at work but this works for the price.

so my next issues... I do slight gaming, nothing intense but Rainbow Six Siege is screaming at 20fps on my current xeon and quatro k620 video card. In addition my madcatz R.A.T. 7 mouse died.. well buttons work but the optics are not doing anything, move mouse around and no mouse movement...

so with that..

next up..
recommend a nice gaming mouse - loved the rat 7... maybe find another???
then this new monitor has some ati sync thing... love NVidia..is it worth going ati instead?
so I need a NVidia or ati recommended card...
I play left 4 dead 2, rainbow six siege....

thoughts? thanks for the input...

oh and I did figure out... e5-2xxx is for dual config as where e5-1xxx is for single cpu config.. so I'm all good with e5-1xxx just need to figure out which...

Those Dells are really nice. I'm looking at a U3014 right now and have a 3007 in my bedroom. Lovely high res that I can finally afford since these have really come down in price in the used market. (I think I saw one locally for <$200 on CL.)

Unfortunately, I don't even have a system I could dream about gaming on, so I'm not much help there I'm afraid. :(

Those Dells are really nice. I'm looking at a U3014 right now and have a 3007 in my bedroom. Lovely high res that I can finally afford since these have really come down in price in the used market. (I think I saw one locally for <$200 on CL.)

Unfortunately, I don't even have a system I could dream about gaming on, so I'm not much help there I'm afraid. :(

dude...
for $200.. buy it and ill pay you for it.. I cant find it for less than $500 here!!!!

dude...
for $200.. buy it and ill pay you for it.. I cant find it for less than $500 here!!!!
Yeah, but shipping will be a bear since properly packing and shipping it would be at least $100. But I'm game if you are serious and there's something in it for my time and effort. (y)

Here's 2 3007s for $200 (I couldn't find any of the u3011/u3014 anymore):
https://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/sop/d/dell-ultrasharp-3007wfpt-flat/6506882444.html
[URL]https://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/sys/d/dell-3007wfp-hc-30-inch-lcd/6536959163.html[/URL]

A 3011 id b game. There is one of those Dell 3007 WFP-HC on ebay.. $250 free shipping...not sure how people can do free shipping. My philips 32in was $299 free shipping!!!

Thx 4 lookin. Gonna hold till i figure out a video card for my machine. Loving my philips. Spyder4 calibrated and colors are so much better than my acer. Cant get it to calibrate as nice...

Sounds good. You've already made a sound investment, so unless you were just dying for one or the 1600px vs 1440px, I think you're set for a bit. Besides, I'm sure more will pop up in time, so you can just keep checking it every once in a while if you want. It seems that these are finally being replaced in some of the corporate settings in this area and the used ones are starting to pop up (like a lot of the corporate stuff that gets dumped like servers and workstations). I've seen like 5 of them in the last few months (and bought one of them :D)

Sounds good. You've already made a sound investment, so unless you were just dying for one or the 1600px vs 1440px, I think you're set for a bit. Besides, I'm sure more will pop up in time, so you can just keep checking it every once in a while if you want. It seems that these are finally being replaced in some of the corporate settings in this area and the used ones are starting to pop up (like a lot of the corporate stuff that gets dumped like servers and workstations). I've seen like 5 of them in the last few months (and bought one of them :D)

Good to know...
Yeah i paid $300 for this 1440p.. seems worth it buti wonder if u3011 woulda been better. Im gonna get a 2nd of these philips in 6 months hah

Good to know...
Yeah i paid $300 for this 1440p.. seems worth it buti wonder if u3011 woulda been better. Im gonna get a 2nd of these philips in 6 months hah
Well, the one way you've come out ahead is warranty and support. Even though these displays are great, they could just fail for no reason and then I'd be out of luck. :( Of course, that being said, I'd probably repair it or get another one. :D

bumping back up my old thread.
never got to jump on the cpu upgrade but going to now.

so my question to you is a bit different.

As noted, I have an E5-1620 v3 which is a 4 core @3.5ghz. I do game on this machine as well. It plays COD Modern Warfare just fine. IF I go with a cpu upgrade, I noticed that many of them are down to 2.4ghz such as the E5-2697 v3 is a 14 core @2.6ghz...

do I need to be concerned at all with the lower frequency? I thought there were some games that require a higher than 3ghz frequency to install?
just curious..
thx

Dropping to 2.4 or 2.6ghz will be very noticeable with your gaming.

min FPS will likely drop.

Going from 3.50 GHz base to 2.4Ghz you will see a hit and drop performance and with boost only going up on so many cores. I am in this same boat with my 10 core v2 I am on now which i dropped back to from an i5-8600 cause i wanted more cores and 64GB of ram I had in this T5610.

Going from 3.50 GHz base to 2.4Ghz you will see a hit and drop performance and with boost only going up on so many cores. I am in this same boat with my 10 core v2 I am on now which i dropped back to from an i5-8600 cause i wanted more cores and 64GB of ram I had in this T5610.
But it really depends on what the single thread performance was on the 10 core v2--I originally would have thought the same thing about such a drop in frequency, but the 2697 is actually in the same ballpark as the 1620.

yeah ive got 80gb ram, so that isnt my issue... i also need to upgrade from my gtx 1060, and not sure what the max card i can put in will be.. it is still the smaller 450ish watt ps to which i can upgrade, just dont want to spend enough where its not worth it...

I am in this same boat

I guess it is time to build a new gaming rig. Last one I built was from members here and it was in 2009. LOL...
q6600 stepping 0
8gb ram
dual gtx 9600
corsair h620x ps
antec 900 case

all that is left is the corsair and that is in my storage box now.

maybe time to build... cuz the numbers show it... ughhhh

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compar...-v3-vs-Intel-i7-10700K/2333vs2384vs2409vs3733

that wont happen to minimal March/April at bonus time; however, I can try and see what video card i can stuff in here... albeit, im running games now so not sure if i will see a performance boost from a new gpu.

yeah ive got 80gb ram, so that isnt my issue... i also need to upgrade from my gtx 1060, and not sure what the max card i can put in will be.. it is still the smaller 450ish watt ps to which i can upgrade, just dont want to spend enough where its not worth it...
I think you'd see about the same results as the current setup except in cases where 4+ cores will help--then you'd see some sort of boost. Worth trying if it's cheap enough.

Upgrading the PSU in that tower maybe expensive unless you can find a used one on Ebay. I have the 850w PSU in my T5610 and it should say on the PCIe slot what it can handle. Mine has 75w from the slow and 225w from the additional 8 pin power board mine has.

I just picked up a Barebones 5810 as a project.

As for CPU's - I have tried a 1650 V3 and a 2687 V3 in it and both work. I have a 2699 V3- which I haven't tried yet.

Next step is to modify and remove the code so I can all core turbo the CPU. Which may help is speed over non all core turbo

I just picked up a Barebones 5810 as a project.

As for CPU's - I have tried a 1650 V3 and a 2687 V3 in it and both work. I have a 2699 V3- which I haven't tried yet.

Next step is to modify and remove the code so I can all core turbo the CPU. Which may help is speed over non all core turbo
Nice! You don't have to modify anything as you can probably use throttlestop on it to do whatever you want. (y)

Throttlestop didn't unlock all core turbo. I have a bios programmer. Getting thru the locked Dell bios to remove the microcode.

I am pretty sure you can put Broadwell based Xeon v4 CPUs into this thing which means top chip is the 22 core beast E5-2699v4's. if you are looking for more specific single threaded performance you are going to want either a E5-1680v4 (8c16t @3.4Ghz 4.0Ghz Turbo 140watt) or the E5-2689v4 (10c20t @3.1Ghz 3.8Ghz Turbo 165watt) with the E5-2689v4 being relatively the cheapest of all 3.

A little tip for finding CPU upgrades for OEM machines like this is to just search for it on eBay and look at what specs they have in their listing or to just search the machine model along with the CPU model like "t5810 xeon v4"

I am pretty sure you can put Broadwell based Xeon v4 CPUs into this thing which means top chip is the 22 core beast E5-2699v4's. if you are looking for more specific single threaded performance you are going to want either a E5-1680v4 (8c16t @3.4Ghz 4.0Ghz Turbo 140watt) or the E5-2689v4 (10c20t @3.1Ghz 3.8Ghz Turbo 165watt) with the E5-2689v4 being relatively the cheapest of all 3.

A little tip for finding CPU upgrades for OEM machines like this is to just search for it on eBay and look at what specs they have in their listing or to just search the machine model along with the CPU model like "t5810 xeon v4"
Xeon V4's do work in the 5810- Bios update may be needed before you upgrade. Avoid ES - engineering samples as they don't turbo. The 2699 V3 is about half of the 2699 V4. The 2678 V3 is probably the best value.

Xeon V4's do work in the 5810- Bios update may be needed before you upgrade. Avoid ES - engineering samples as they don't turbo. The 2699 V3 is about half of the 2699 V4. The 2678 V3 is probably the best value.

Thank you very much..

wow the 2699 v3 is getting better in pricing for me.... the 2699 v4 is way expensive and the 2678 v3 is truly the best value. In addition, this video totally compares that best value to the rizen 5 3600 and its behind it some in some of his tests for gaming but ahead in other areas.
Just made an offer on ebay, worst is he will deny, or come back with another offer.. he is still $85 free shipping at max...

🇬🇧 Xeon E5-2678 V3 – for games and productivity | Hyper-Threading On/Off | DDR4-3200 vs 2133 ECC REG - YouTube

dude came back with counter offer.. fine, i got it $3 cheaper then taxes and other crap and paid $87.50 sheeze...

just got msi burner working with overlay.. lol..so now i can compare when my cpu comes in..

1611081901475.png

next up when cpu comes in, is for me to look into

V5K16 Delta 1300W = Precision T5810/T7910

and video card.. ive got 2x 6 pin power cables, get higher ps and should be good..

what a pain.. ive had issues with this machine wanting to boot lately...
but got it squared away.. got it to boot, had to re-install chipset drivers.. weird..
then did bios upgrade... to 1 newer and now it seems to be running better

1611684551522.png

Machine just started having issues after vacation. Before vacation I powered it off and turned all power strips off for a week. Get home and the computer will not stay up and running long. Just shuts down or reboots while in the middle of something. I cleaned it with a can of air, removed all memory except 2 dims, removed all cards...
then bought a PS off of ebay and that did not do it.. waiting on a motherboard next...

Machine just started having issues after vacation. Before vacation I powered it off and turned all power strips off for a week. Get home and the computer will not stay up and running long. Just shuts down or reboots while in the middle of something. I cleaned it with a can of air, removed all memory except 2 dims, removed all cards...
then bought a PS off of ebay and that did not do it.. waiting on a motherboard next...
Did you try swapping in the old cpu? I would try that too if you still have it lying around.

Did you try swapping in the old cpu? I would try that too if you still have it lying around.
i just threw a thread together on it...

last i posted there..

and the never ending story... i shut the machine down, swapped cpu, put all memory in, cards, etc.. and boom .... BROKEN AGAIN!!!! [Bangs head on wall}

so many different attempts here and there... back and forth with so many things trying... It is up and running right now with all stuff except 2x8gb dims

going to just leave it up and running... for an hr if it does.. then reboot it... let it stay up again.. then add 1 of the dims and see what happens.
I do have 80gb of ram without the extra 16 lol....

i just threw a thread together on it...

last i posted there..

and the never ending story... i shut the machine down, swapped cpu, put all memory in, cards, etc.. and boom .... BROKEN AGAIN!!!! [Bangs head on wall}

so many different attempts here and there... back and forth with so many things trying... It is up and running right now with all stuff except 2x8gb dims

going to just leave it up and running... for an hr if it does.. then reboot it... let it stay up again.. then add 1 of the dims and see what happens.
I do have 80gb of ram without the extra 16 lol....
Link to the new thread?

Wow. Sounds like it's getting a bit long in the tooth. :( Time to find a nice cheap barebone machine and swap everything over. ;)

LOL! I love how these things can take ram that's still ungodly today. :D

Back