Dell Studio XPS 16

collection

Limp Gawd
Last edited:
depends what is more important to you. The sony has a much higher resolution, for some that is quite important, for others it doesn't really factor that much into the equation. But for the most part, performance between all 3 will be roughly comparable. I believe the asus will perform a bit better in gaming, but don't expect an amazingly large gap in gaming performance.

Truthfully I would pick the dell simply on the virtue of design and larger hard drive. I personally dislike high resolution monitors on laptops because if I game on it, none of the games will run in native resolution unless I dull down the graphics. If i lower the resolution then i get that fuzzy look cause it is running under its native resolution.

If the 1080p is important, then i would go with the sony, replacing a laptop monitor (if you decide later you find a high res monitor is important) is a lot of trouble and tends to be quite expensive.

quick question on this. If I get the XPS w/ 4gb ram and want to install XP 32 bit...will it be a bottleneck? i really dont like vista.

quick question on this. If I get the XPS w/ 4gb ram and want to install XP 32 bit...will it be a bottleneck? i really dont like vista.

XP32 will see about 3-3.5GB of RAM. Although at this stage you should really get Vista so you can get the Winodws 7 upgrade.

oh yea...I'm getting vista so I can get that upgrade to 7 but I want to format and install XP till 7 comes out.

keep in ind that they don't support Winxp on that machine. Check thier driver downloads, they only list vista. I have the studio xps 13 and was trying the same thing. You can make it work but it isn't perfect. Honestly I just stuck with 64 bit vista to take full advantage of the 4 gigs of ram. Runs FLAWLESS with a fresh install. Was HORIBLE as it came from dell, was almost going to return it but after a fresh install and all the latest drivers it is rock solid.

Back