Dell Streak... almost... almost...

Never carried a cell phone in my pocket... is this some new thing people do? :) I keep it in my hand or in a belt clip case on some occasions, but probably 99% of the time it's in my hand, weird.

Except screen size is a shitty way to measure the size of the phone, since things like the iPhone have a massive bezel around it. Evo really just shrunk that bezel, it's physical dimensions aren't all that much bigger than most. The Evo is 4.8" by 2.6", the iPhone 4 is 4.5" by 2.3"
The Evo is the same size as my Vibrant (minus depth) but the Vibrant has a smaller screen. It really is noticeable. I think HTC nailed the size and screen on that phone. Even my teeny tiny girlfriend says she'd be comfortable toting it around.

Little bit of depth isn't a bad thing. I like the way my Droid feels in my hand (also .5" deep). Too thin makes it awkward for me to hold it. Likewise, weight isn't really a concern for me. As long as it isn't too heavy that it gets tiring to hold (which the 6oz Droid isn't for me), then I don't care. Too light can also feel cheap. After all, people hold the iPad in one hand, and that fat ass is 1.5 lbs - which IMO is too heavy, and the rounded back makes holding it a horrible experience.
I agree. My Vibrant is the same thickness as an iPhone and it's uncomfortable to hold. I prefer the Evo's thickness and weight over both the iPhone and Vibrant.

Never carried a cell phone in my pocket... is this some new thing people do? :)

QFT and, seriously, watching videos of people sliding a Streak into their pocket is hilarious - good luck not breaking it if you move afterward. BAM problem solved.

My Streak will be delivered Monday.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I seriously doubt a Streak would get damaged in any way by putting it your pocket - unless of course you've got a pocket full of diamonds or something in it beforehand. ;)

That Gorilla Glass demo video over at Engadget that I post sometimes, I love sharing that with people and hearing their reactions. Every blow on the screen in that video is almost like watching a guy get kicked in the nuts, or even someone just faking a kick and watching the guy flinch... :D

I seriously doubt a Streak would get damaged in any way by putting it your pocket - unless of course you've got a pocket full of diamonds or something in it beforehand. ;)

That Gorilla Glass demo video over at Engadget that I post sometimes, I love sharing that with people and hearing their reactions. Every blow on the screen in that video is almost like watching a guy get kicked in the nuts, or even someone just faking a kick and watching the guy flinch... :D

Visit modaco, streaksmart or xda and read several posts about people who "dropped it a foot on to the carpet" and ended up with undamaged Gorilla Glass but broken LCDs and wonder no longer.

I prefer a solid .8" screen myself.

8563578783b39728b22.jpg

There is so much win in this post.

But at the same resolution as the Evo, Incredible, Nexus One, and Galaxy S and lower resolution than the Droid, Droid X, and iPhone 4.

Snapdragon, 512MB RAM and ROM, 5MP camera...weak nuts. This thing might have been a contender if it was released a year ago.

There is a god, I'm not the only person who forgot resolution matters!

But at the same resolution as the Evo, Incredible, Nexus One, and Galaxy S and lower resolution than the Droid, Droid X, and iPhone 4.

Snapdragon, 512MB RAM and ROM, 5MP camera...weak nuts. This thing might have been a contender if it was released a year ago.

Nailed it. The only thing more laughable than the idea that this POS went past the prototype phase at Dell and went into physical production is knowing that there are shmucks out there eagerly awaiting (and will soon be returning) this stupid thing.

Hilarious.

I'd still like to know how this thing is backordered, I ordered during the 1st hour of the presale and it's backordered? Delivery date is supposed to be Sept. 16th right now, crazy...

And get what for a mobile device that I can use for email, web and Nav when I'm out and about?

And get what for a mobile device that I can use for email, web and Nav when I'm out and about?
Something new released by holiday season with a featureset which destroys anything currently on the market, actually releases with Froyo+ without another tacked-on useless and likely bug-ridden UI and isn't the size of a fucking breadbox?

I feel like waiting a hair longer is everyone's best bet now that enough phones are on the market to make manufacturers rethink what consumers actually desire.

Oh, and if you're wanting a streak why not wait a few more weeks/months for Verizon's 3G Motorola tablet?

Something new released by holiday season with a featureset which destroys anything currently on the market, actually releases with Froyo+ without another tacked-on useless and likely bug-ridden UI and isn't the size of a fucking breadbox?

I feel like waiting a hair longer is everyone's best bet now that enough phones are on the market to make manufacturers rethink what consumers actually desire.

2.1 is already out for the Streak, I'll just grab it from O2 if 2.2 isn't out by the time I get my device. My wife's G1 is pretty long in tooth at this point so I really don't feel like waiting until Christmas for a device to get announced and then have to wait for it to be released. If something actually is released that's worth my money, I'll sell the Streak and upgrade to it when it's available. That's the whole point in buying it off contract.

As to the size, have you actually used the thing like I have? It's large enough to sit on the dash and actually be useful as a navigation device, but small enough to still easily fit in my pocket.

Oh, and if you're wanting a streak why not wait a few more weeks/months for Verizon's 3G Motorola tablet?

Because I live in the UK?

Gotcha. Just read today a World Edition Droid2 is coming - seems a possible alternative but then again it has a tacked-on UI as well.

Did you figure out if the AT&T sim-lock on the streak screws your plans to use it on O2?

2.1 is already out for the Streak, I'll just grab it from O2 if 2.2 isn't out by the time I get my device. My wife's G1 is pretty long in tooth at this point so I really don't feel like waiting until Christmas for a device to get announced and then have to wait for it to be released. If something actually is released that's worth my money, I'll sell the Streak and upgrade to it when it's available. That's the whole point in buying it off contract.

As to the size, have you actually used the thing like I have? It's large enough to sit on the dash and actually be useful as a navigation device, but small enough to still easily fit in my pocket.

Because I live in the UK?

Unless you shop at the big n tall I dunno how it'll "easily" fit in your pocket.

Gotcha. Just read today a World Edition Droid2 is coming - seems a possible alternative but then again it has a tacked-on UI as well.

Did you figure out if the AT&T sim-lock on the streak screws your plans to use it on O2?

Won't be able to check the sim lock until I get it, might be forced to buy it through Dell.co.uk.

Unless you shop at the big n tall I dunno how it'll "easily" fit in your pocket.

Who knows, maybe he wears cargo shorts/pants. Only way I can see this being true.

Yeah, it'll fit in cargos obviously, but as long as you aren't into tight pants, I don't see you having an issue. The thing is smaller then my hand and they tend to fit in my pockets.

Well I took the plunge. After being on the Iphone since it launched I figured it was time for an upgrade. I was able to re-sign wit AT&T for another 2 years and apply a 15% off Dell coupon to bring the out of pocket expenses to $230 ish including 2 day shipping. I was also able to grandfather in my unlimited data plan so the deal was just too good to pass up :)

The Streak has landed! Here are some pics (sorry.. not the best quality).
dsc00277kz.jpg

dsc00280j.jpg

^^ review please... lol

I really haven't used it all that much but here's a quick review. The hardware is sick! The screen is bright with nice contrast and deep blacks. The capacitive touch works as well if not better than most high end Android smartphones. For it's size the Streak is very thin and light. Now for the bad news... as you all know this thing is running Android 1.6. The interface is seriously gimped and every tweak that Dell made to try and help make it somewhat usable failed miserably. My advice for anyone interesting in the Streak is not to buy it right now. If Dell follows through and releases Froyo then this tablet/smartphone is going to be a very compelling purchase for Android fans.

Nice little device. Congrats! Looks like we're going to have a flood of touch slate gadgets around here.

For all that Dell has done with this thing, for all the time it's been in development, I gotta flat out say bringing it to market (finally) with 1.6 on it has got to be the single dumbest thing they've done ever... it really is a sorry stupid asinine thing to do in this day and age. And who knows how long it'll be before 2.2 ever appears. Sooner the better obviously but, even so... geezus, Dell, what the hell were you boneheads thinking?

holy crap that is huge

weren't dell going to release a 7.1'' end of the year too? or is that going to be a tablet

Can we see a picture of your Streak sitting next to a Ti-83 or Ti-89 calculator? I'm guessing they are about the same width/height judging by the iPhone comparison shots.

5 Inch screen > 4.3 Inch screen.

At the same resolutions, the 4.3-inch is still a loser? :confused:

IMO, WVGA is too low-res for a 5-inch screen. Even my 4-inch Galaxy S seems like it could use a few more pixels than 800x480.

Can you take a picture with it up to your head as if you were talking? Although, I understand if that's way creepy to ask.

At the same resolutions, the 4.3-inch is still a loser? :confused:

IMO, WVGA is too low-res for a 5-inch screen. Even my 4-inch Galaxy S seems like it could use a few more pixels than 800x480.

The Streak is 854x480, so almost a WVGA+ kinda thing. Not much but it's something, not sure how much higher they're going to get in these sizes and I don't expect everyone to start crankin' out "Retina Displays" with 1024x600 or whatever resolutions with massive DPI in small diagonal sizes...

Back