Dell Streak 7 review is up at Engadget...

Joe Average

Ad Blocker - Banned
http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/31/dell-streak-7-review/

They give it high marks in most respects, crap ones in others, but that's pretty much expected of an Engadget review these days. The one thing that just blows my mind is the fact that the original 5" Streak is still ridiculously expensive with a no-contract model (like $600) while this new one, larger in the 7" form factor and not really a phone like the Dell Streak 5 is comes in at $450 off-contract...

The biggest negative? It's stuck with yet another 800x480 screen which is pretty much the defacto Android standard, while the competition (7" Android tablets) are for the most part going to have 1024x600, like the Galaxy Tab they specifically compare it to. Why Dell decided to make a dual core Android tablet and hamstring it with last generation's resolution is beyond me, but it's one thing Engadget does target specifically as a fault and I can agree with them 100% on it.

Since Dell is promising an Android 3.0 upgrade when that's available, and the Galaxy Tab might not get one, it'll be interesting to see how the Streak 7 handles the "true" tablet oriented OS on the lower resolution screen.

I'd still love to have a Dell Streak 5, actually, but even as used products they command almost Apple-like pricing (aka holding their value, to some degree). Maybe I'll get lucky and find one for $200 or so on craigslist someday, or someone will take pity on me and just toss one my way, who knows. :D

Don't forget, they made issue with the crappy battery life too and the fact that Dell made it non user replaceable.

Honesty, I think that if Samsung doesn't release a 3.0 update they will be shooting themselves in the foot. It would be a totally dumb move.

While I have come to love using Android I think Google needs to badly start dictating some terms as it pertains to Android fragmentation, upgrades and bloated UI crap like Touchwiz/Motoblur/etc. As a consumer my first experience with Android has been highly frustrating and makes me wish I could get a 3G iPhone on T-mobile (my provider), that is until I was able to root my phone and install a custom 2.1 firmware (instead of the crappy, beta feeling 1.5 I was stuck with).

I love my phone now but the experience has me second guessing any other Android powered purchases. Especially ones that are $100 or more.

Anyways, sorry about the rant. :)

No no, no apologies... but for enthusiasts, we'd never settle for stock ROMs/OSes anyway, hence me recommending the NOOKColor in that other thread you just started. ;)

I like the Streak 5, but I don't like the Streak 7 (based on the video in the review). It's just not the device for me... that's what the NC is, it's just so awesome it's not even funny, I swear. Right size, right thickness (basically half what other devices are), the right weight, the wicked LCD panel, even though it doesn't have a user replaceable battery it doesn't matter - it's the non-3G/4G contract "tablet" device to get precisely because of that level of community behind it (as noted in the other thread).

Now if I can just save enough to replace my HD2 and then add an NC to my portfolio of gadgets galore, I'll be somewhat satisfied for a bit. :D

Back