dell storage and windows not showing multipath

umcpgrad

2[H]4U
question-

does anyone know anything about dell md3000 storage series and windows 2008
we have sas connections from md3000 to windows 2008 redundancy - sas cards and cables from the server to the storage in raid 0 and 1
multipath i/o is installed on md2008

but under the dell storage management and disk management in windows it is still showing single path connection

ideas?

Can you be a little more specific on the config. Is your MD3000 setup for single-port cluster or dual-port cluster mode? Are you running a single server with multiple adapters or multiple servers with either single or dual ports? Did you install the MD Storage Manager (which will install the mpio drivers) on each host??
You can read more here which wil give you a step-by-step setup. Also, make sure you are running the latest Dell Config Tool.

Last edited:
my fault I was typing that on my phone

it is md3200, no cluster mode it is a straight connection from 1 sas card two ports connection to raid0, raid1 on md 3200 on windows
the mdsm has been installed on each host
firmware and software is the newest and updated
what is this dell config tool? is it part of the mdsm

thanks

===
Can you be a little more specific on the config. Is your MD3000 setup for single-port cluster or dual-port cluster mode? Are you running a single server with multiple adapters or multiple servers with either single or dual ports? Did you install the MD Storage Manager (which will install the mpio drivers) on each host??
You can read more here which wil give you a step-by-step setup. Also, make sure you are running the latest Dell Config Tool.

thanks mwroobel
appreciated it
it is just that I have 2 other hosts on md3200 that is working fine with multipath
it was just a simple mdsm install and multipath is enabled
only for this host something is different
even though it was built the same with windows 2008 r2

sorry about that but starting that page it is dm for linux... am I missing something? the hosts are windows 2008 r2

sorry another thing to add is that this is in band - sas connection only without out of band (ethernet)

thanks mwroobel
appreciated it
it is just that I have 2 other hosts on md3200 that is working fine with multipath
it was just a simple mdsm install and multipath is enabled
only for this host something is different
even though it was built the same with windows 2008 r2

Check the event viewer for any mpio or iscsi failures on the affected system. Have you installed all updates, hotfixes and SPs for Windows and for your particular hardware? Have you tried removing/reinstalling mdsm or re-running the mdsm and just choosing host? Is enable multipath checked in the connect to target box?

yup literally have done all the steps, no mpio, iscsi failures in the event logs, did all the updates, hotfixes and windows, removed and reinstalled the mdsm and reinstall and etc and multipathio install over and over
2 others hosts are similar in specs and they all working fine

yup literally have done all the steps, no mpio, iscsi failures in the event logs, did all the updates, hotfixes and windows, removed and reinstalled the mdsm and reinstall and etc and multipathio install over and over
2 others hosts are similar in specs and they all working fine

Well, here's where things get tougher. What are the HBAs in all 3 systems? What firmware level are they all at? What driver are they all running? Have you tried swapping the 8088 cables between the two systems to test?

Try pulling the two SAS cables in turn and find out which path is actually up - at least you'll then know which has the problem. Then use process of elimination to discover whether it's the HBA port on the host or the RAID port on the storage which isn't showing up.
This is assuming you are using known good cables of course, but that's easy to test with your other hosts.

Back