Dell SC420 $209 after $20 Rebate - Celeron 325J

Best to get it with the 80gig for $219. Also, it might be easier to modify the card instead of the slot. I think PXC did this.

Either way it makes for a quiet server. I'm using mine as my main HTPC box until I can afford to build another one and use it as a backend.

Nuc_E said:
I think PXC did this.
Yeah, I did. :D

http://www.notveryserio.us/pix/x300se-x8.jpg

I don't recommend doing that to a card worth much... in that case void the system warranty instead. I decided to modify that x300SE instead of voiding the warranty of a $470 SC420 server (upgraded to a 3.4F CPU). That system was never going to play games anyways.

Newegg has refurb Leadtek 6600 cards for $67 shipped. I bought 2 in the last week and both work and overclock decently (525/650). That strikes the right balance between usable and still cheap enough to not worry about voiding the video card warranty. :D Newegg also has refurb x700 Pro 256MB cards for $117 shipped if you're a little more daring. IMO, an overclocked x700 Pro isn't much faster than an overclocked 6600, not worth the difference in price anyways.

they have a free processor upgrade still, no? it shows the link on the upper right, but they want to add 99 for a p4... ?

pxc , did you just dremel out some of the card there, are those contacts not used or did you have to re-route them, just wondering, im thinking about doing that

XtuRmN8r said:
they have a free processor upgrade still, no? it shows the link on the upper right, but they want to add 99 for a p4... ?

Almost bit on the last SC420 Deal and glad I didn't - calling dell tonight to see if I can get this deal with a P4 rather than the Celeron.

I called and the free processor upgrade doesn't apply to this deal.

I like this deal, but I haven't jumped.. that optiplex deal a few days ago was sweet.. kicking myself over that one..

does anyone that has this machine know if it will fit sideways in a rack?

FLECOM said:

Depends how big a hammer are you going to use :D :p

kdh said:
I called and the free processor upgrade doesn't apply to this deal.

Yeah, I got the same thing. The free proc upgrade doesn't apply to outrageous deals.

FLECOM said:

Don't know for sure, but I can tell you it is the same size as a dell 8400 Case, if you have one of those lying around.

Ordering mine now.
They also have a double memory offer, but it's not stackable, so unless you are ordering an absolute assload of memory, the $300 is the best deal.

I've gotten it to $339 with the upgrade to 80gb for 10 bucks and the free doubling of the memory, but I can't find anywhere to apply the mail in rebate. There is a place in the spec that says none under the mail in rebate.

You won't get the mail in rebate unless it shows on the invoice. The details tab on checkout would also show it.

Looks like the rebate and free double memory aren't combinable. You could always buy another 256MB DDR2 DIMM separately. It's pretty cheap now, around $25 shipped on pricewatch.

Hmm. Just noticed that they are shipping it with non-ecc now. Glad I sold my ECC while I could.

pxc said:
You won't get the mail in rebate unless it shows on the invoice. The details tab on checkout would also show it.

Looks like the rebate and free double memory aren't combinable. You could always buy another 256MB DDR2 DIMM separately. It's pretty cheap now, around $25 shipped on pricewatch.
I actually have the ddr2 dell is using now im selling ;) $25ea or less if buying quantity. I have 11 sticks.

FLECOM most dell server fit in a rack with the adapter kit they sell. Ask Rios from C&C

I can now add this to the list of things I really dont need but ive bought because of hot deals :p

ordered last night, shipped today 2 day fed ex will have it thursday, not bad for 300 bucks and free shipping

Back