Dell SB BFG Geforce 7900GTX OC 512mb $389.25+tax

Blackforge said:
Ordered 4/17

Scheduled ship date 5/2

1st Reschedule 5/12

2nd Reschedule 5/19

Shipped 5/16... and it definitely shipped. I have a tracking number.

Enjoy :)

Thought I would throw a quick comment since I had been following this thread since the beginning.

Ordered through our corporate sales rep he gave me the discounts to bring it to 414+6 ship for $420.

I know for a fact because I saw with my own eyes that CompUSA pays $480 for each BFG 7900 GTX video card (have a manager friend that showed me the cost screen in their computer)

So if you think about it, it is quite amazing to have received the video card at this price. I believe this goes back to last week's article that Dell is spending money and losing money to try to get customers back due to service and support issues.

Yes I was angry, yes as a networking IT company we are sick of Dell's BS with our server orders for our clients we are looking into ordering HP servers and other solutions to take away stress of how Dell sometimes does business.

However you sure have to give them credit that they are masters of marketing and price manipulations. Definately reason for FTC rules and regulations being strict on them, I'm sure they had several complaints in the past and possibly fined for them.

FYI ordered on

4/18/06 8:38am 2xBFG 7900 GTX $414+$12 ship
4/18/06 10:48am 1xBFG 7900 GTX $414+$8 ship added AMD 3700+ San Diego (figured I would build new PC for wife b/c I had a single NF4 MB laying around now The CPU shipped same day and I had it NEXT DAY

Now I have my first order of 2 cards shipped 5/16/06 for 5/19/06 delivery DHL tracking confirmed and other order is in limbo right now.

UPDATE:
I just checked online and my order that was placed for one more card 2 hrs later was bumped again! new date is 6/8/06!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

LosSkin said:
I seriously doubt your card shipped. i was on the phone with CS who are clueless, and was in emails about this daily and they told me, 5/25 is a estimated date and could be pushed back to mid june for all orders to be full-filled. Reason why they put the FTC line in there, was because people have filed complaints with the FTC regarding this.

But hey, if actually have your card inbound to you.. congrats!

They ship from Coppell, TX which is a 5 minute drive from my house. The BFG 7900GTX is sitting right here next to me. Time for an install.

Fluke said:
They ship from Coppell, TX which is a 5 minute drive from my house. The BFG 7900GTX is sitting right here next to me. Time for an install.

Fluke when was your original order placed, I know you mentioned 5/2/06 and 5/25/06 (est ship date) but was curious when you originally ordered online or through sales.

Thanks should help others track progress also.

pentium said:
Fluke when was your original order placed, I know you mentioned 5/2/06 and 5/25/06 (est ship date) but was curious when you originally ordered online or through sales.

Thanks should help others track progress also.

I originally ordered the card online on 4/17 when the SB deal hit. They pushed back the ship date three times to 5/25 but it shipped yesterday. Running some benchmarks now. This thing is a beast.

2xBFG 7900 GTX arrived and on my desk right now. Working to complete projects so I can get home early new bios came out for the A8N32-SLI 3 days ago and has 7900 support message in it.

For everyone that has ordered these cards I still have an order pending for 1 more card that I placed 2 hrs after these two were ordered.

Spoke with a lady who is the peripherals supervisor, Dell actually purchases these cards fromplaces like Ingram and Tech Data etc. These places are the ones that provide Dell with estimated shipment times.

It was verified with BFG marketing that they don't directly sell to Dell!!!

I can guarantee you Dell is not paying $420 for these cards, we have an account with Ingram and Tech data the cards are close to $480 or so. Dell is definately losing money on these deals be thankful they have such a crazy marketing strategy.

pentium said:
2xBFG 7900 GTX arrived and on my desk right now. Working to complete projects so I can get home early new bios came out for the A8N32-SLI 3 days ago and has 7900 support message in it.

For everyone that has ordered these cards I still have an order pending for 1 more card that I placed 2 hrs after these two were ordered.

Spoke with a lady who is the peripherals supervisor, Dell actually purchases these cards fromplaces like Ingram and Tech Data etc. These places are the ones that provide Dell with estimated shipment times.

It was verified with BFG marketing that they don't directly sell to Dell!!!

I can guarantee you Dell is not paying $420 for these cards, we have an account with Ingram and Tech data the cards are close to $480 or so. Dell is definately losing money on these deals be thankful they have such a crazy marketing strategy.

When you checked your account was it still said pending or it changed to shipped before it got actually shipped?

Got my BFG 7900 GTX two days ago. Was working fine for the first day. Had seen reports of cards dying after burn in on the video card forum so started up rthdribl before going to bed night before last. Yesterday the card was producing triangle artifacts. Only way to stop them was to downclock the memory to 650mhz. Strongly suggest you guys burn your cards in when you get them.

Fluke said:
Got my BFG 7900 GTX two days ago. Was working fine for the first day. Had seen reports of cards dying after burn in on the video card forum so started up rthdribl before going to bed night before last. Yesterday the card was producing triangle artifacts. Only way to stop them was to downclock the memory to 650mhz. Strongly suggest you guys burn your cards in when you get them.

My XFX 7900 GTX Extreme Edition I received 2 weeks ago has the same problem! Got "Extreme" artifacts at it's default OC setting 690core/875mem. I even tried the BFG OC setting of 670/820 and still got artifacts!!! Have to back it down to 650/800 to be stable. This is the worst QA I have ever seen in a retail product that touts itself as "Extreme".

I called Dell up and they are sending me a new card. Hopefully this one runs at it's advertised "Extreme" speed. If not I may just return this card.

Fluke said:

To save all of you a lot of trouble, ALL (that I am aware of) 7900 GTX cards and possibly some GT cards are seeing this issue he describes.

The issue happens faster if you loop 3dmarks2006 HDR tests (canyon and deep freeze)

I personally paid the $20 for the license for 3dmarks 2006 since the basic only allows you to run the full benchmark and won't let you loop it.

So far I've had 4 x BFG 7900 GTX cards, 2 of which had issues, both of the ones with issues work fine at first but then exhibit problems, triangle effects and lock up at end of HDR Deep Freeze test.

BFG has been very very helpful on getting replacement cards shipped with this problem and so has (from what I've read) EVGA, unfortunately XFX support is really lacking and asking people to do idiotic troubleshooting instead of replacing.

Both times my issues were with the card on the bottom of A8N32-SLI below the soundwich XFI card, I believe heat buildup with the HDR Deep Freeze makes the issue present itself much quicker. Most people on net have speculated some memory controller / IC voltage chip etc, however no one from manufacturing stand point has said exactly what the issue is.

I do have personal contact with a senior engineer at BFG Technologies and he is currently testing a new card for me prior to shipping tomorrow, he is going to also personally receive my defective card (still works fine but HDR tests cause strange issues and lockup at end of deep freeze) after receiving the card he will examine it and send to his engineers to see where the failure occurred.

This post is intended to save higher end individuals a lot of time troubleshooting and point you exactly to what tests to determine your card's issue, if you can loop 50x+ the HDR Deep Freeze test in 3dmarks 2006 then you quite possibly have other system issues.

Also as a side note my brand new OCZ PowerStream 600W SLI power supply is in perfect working condition BUT.... BF2 at 2560x1600 on 30" Dell LCD powers down my system randomly 30-60 min after gaming in SLI 7900GTX.

It has been proven that higher resolutions beyond 1600x1200 will put serious strain and utilize SLI 7900 GTX cards so much that even this power supply can get overloaded. OCZ is another stellar company due to the support persons they employ and I will be receiving a new OCZ GameXStream 700 PS tomorrow which will solve the issue it has 4x12V rails all having 18A each. If I loop at 1600x1200 or lower res I get no power downs, if I play BF2 at lower res also no power downs.

Hope this helps anyone else investing serious $$$ into their gaming rig. I originally thought that putting together this A8N32-SLI, 2x7900GTX, XFI Fatalty was going to be no problems due to fact Falcon NW, Alienware are using this same exact setup on $5000-$7000 rigs, I still wonder how they are pushing these out with the same exact parts I am and not having a lot of phone calls with issues because the XFI card took some work to get it perfect (disabled nvidia onboard NIC, used Marvel to solve crackling / screeching noises)

BFG and OCZ great companies, great support, no India, just get the right people on the phone to listen and you are all set.

pentium said:
BFG and OCZ great companies, great support, no India, just get the right people on the phone to listen and you are all set.
That's really good to know. Right now I am so sick of dealing with Dell for that reason.

pentium said:
BF2 at 2560x1600 on 30" Dell LCD

And I thought BF2 at 1920x1200 was almost too much to take in at once. Does your neck hurt from having to constantly go from left-to-right, right-to-left, over and over? ;)

Thanks for the detailed post, BTW. I think my XFX non-Xtreme 7900GTX may be starting to develop some problems as well.

pentium said:
Who's we?

anyone elses ship recently? mine is scheduled for tomorrow 5/25. but i doubt its gonna ship.

TechData is ridiculously overpriced btw. My shipping manager looked up some prices on stuff for me when I was hoping to get a deal on some ram and other stuff... ended up going with newegg.

annaconda said:
Any body got their shipped yet?

Yep 2 shipped on 5/16/06 received 5/19/06

2 days later 1 turned out to be defective, same issue I described. Now last night around midnight during more 3dmarks 2006 testing other card is defective! Took another week for 2nd one to die. Lots of reports on the net about this.

My last card that is supposed to ship is now dated 6/8/06, also be aware that out of 4 cards total (2 compusa / 2 dell) ALL of them have DIED at some point or another the ONLY one that is OK (for now) is the one I received as an RMA.

I have a feeling this is going to become a bigger issue soon as more people have their cards die on them. Sadly most don't even know why they are having problems and think it is another PC issue or software issue.

pentium said:
Yep 2 shipped on 5/16/06 received 5/19/06

2 days later 1 turned out to be defective, same issue I described. Now last night around midnight during more 3dmarks 2006 testing other card is defective! Took another week for 2nd one to die. Lots of reports on the net about this.

My last card that is supposed to ship is now dated 6/8/06, also be aware that out of 4 cards total (2 compusa / 2 dell) ALL of them have DIED at some point or another the ONLY one that is OK (for now) is the one I received as an RMA.

I have a feeling this is going to become a bigger issue soon as more people have their cards die on them. Sadly most don't even know why they are having problems and think it is another PC issue or software issue.

Damn! What's going with nVidia lately??? I almost jumped ship too.

amd ati FO SHO said:
lucky i cancelled when i did.
There's no problem with waiting, as long as you get the card for that price... (then again, by the time he get's it, there will be another sale, or a price drop ;) ).

I bought a 25% coupon on eBay on April 18 and used it same day for the BFG 7900GTX OC. First ship date was May 3, then changed to May 25. Yesterday, the 25th, the date was changed back to May 3 -WTF?. Realizing this whole thing is apparently a hoax, I called Dell and spent 2 hours getting passed around Customer Service, trying to get another 25% off coupon out of them so that I could cancel my BFG and get the XFX, which seems to have less of a backorder.

The dumb f*cks couldn't get it straight (and even mistakenly hung up on me once) and after wasting 2 hours and then having e-mail correspondence with them today, where they said they could not give me another coupon, I've cancelled my order and Dell has permanently lost a customer, and will lose more if I have anything to do with it.

BTW, one Dell CSR told me the wait would be probably 'another 30 days'.

F*CK DELL.

GregP said:
I bought a 25% coupon on eBay on April 18 and used it same day for the BFG 7900GTX OC. First ship date was May 3, then changed to May 25. Yesterday, the 25th, the date was changed back to May 3 -WTF?. Realizing this whole thing is apparently a hoax, I called Dell and spent 2 hours getting passed around Customer Service, trying to get another 25% off coupon out of them so that I could cancel my BFG and get the XFX, which seems to have less of a backorder.

The dumb f*cks couldn't get it straight (and even mistakenly hung up on me once) and after wasting 2 hours and then having e-mail correspondence with them today, where they said they could not give me another coupon, I've cancelled my order and Dell has permanently lost a customer, and will lose more if I have anything to do with it.

BTW, one Dell CSR told me the wait would be probably 'another 30 days'.

F*CK DELL.

yup mine has been pushed back 4 times myself. its getting old, but seeing how they want people to cancel, i wont because i know they are taking a loss and i love that. i will never buy from dell again. thats y i normally buy from other companies. dell is a joke

checked my order today, dell cancelled my order, without my consent. Sucks cuz I have to wait until tuesday to tell them to put my order back in because I didn't want it cancelled. :mad:

This comes from Dell's US Commercial Fullfillment OPS center.

She did me the favor and forwarded her inquiry email from D&H's purchasing office.

My order has been expedited several times and it was just moved from 6/8/06 to 6/16/06, apparently they purchase from D&H and for whatever reason D&H is the company delaying the order. She actually showed me their Dell PO number (not the PO itself just was part of the email to D&H purchasing division)

No reason to blame or hate Dell other than the fact they aren't as informed as we'd like them to be, with as many orders as they have on a daily basis it is tough for them to keep track of 3rd party company commitments unfortunately.

I believe this delay has been a direct result of my 100% defective 7900 GTX status, each card has been RMA'd now and I finally have my 7900 GTX SLI rig going smooth as butter.

Last card was for my wife's new system build replacing old AGP 6800 Ultra. She is disappointed now :(

Hope this helps people out, if I wasn't using CompUSA's TAP program on all three 7900 GTX cards I'd probably have looked at another solution. TAP allows me to pay $39.99 each card for up to 1 yr or $64.99 (2 yr) I can replace the card for full credit ($499.99 credit) toward either anything in the store or another set of cards.

So 3 cards of the next generation will cost me $120.00 to "step up" so to speak.

Had our purchasing manager check for me this morning and indeed D&H has ZERO BFG 7900 GTX in stock at any of their warehouses so there isn't a conspiracy just not available through D&H distribution centers. Our reseller price was $511 !!

I am waiting for my 3rd card at $414, I might have to wait another 2 weeks unfortunately but the cards do not show much decrease in price especially since they are still top of the line on par with X1900XTX. Best online price I could find was around $490 + shipping.

Hope this helps

pentium said:
I believe this delay has been a direct result of my 100% defective 7900 GTX status, each card has been RMA'd now and I finally have my 7900 GTX SLI rig going smooth as butter.

So are you saying that they have finally figured out how to really fix the problem? My card has started to act up, but I've been holding off on the RMA until I know I won't have to RMA over and over again.

CzarKasm said:
So are you saying that they have finally figured out how to really fix the problem? My card has started to act up, but I've been holding off on the RMA until I know I won't have to RMA over and over again.

I am not sure whether or not the BFG senior tech is able to release that information for company policy reasons or not but he was unable to tell me specifically the reasons why it is happening.

I can tell you for certain that I have had three cards and all took different times to exhibit the issues. If you are seeing problems run 3dmarks2006 HDR tests canyon flight and deep freeze (loop if you have a pro version)

Request that BFG fully test using their licensed copy of 3dmarks2006 to loop those tests over and over before shipping you a new RMA'd card.

So far I was able to play this weekend flawlessly in SLI (even when 1 card is a problem SLI fails) being skeptical now I have been running 3dmarks2006 tests everytime I think of it to check the status of my cards just in case. So far so good, but BFG tech looped both cards for days before shipping them out to me.

BFG tech support is the reason I bought this card. My last couple of Nvidias have been eVGA. If I have a problem, I know BFG will get it taken care of better than anyone out there. That's why it is worth the wait if you can.

Why0Why said:
BFG tech support is the reason I bought this card. My last couple of Nvidias have been eVGA. If I have a problem, I know BFG will get it taken care of better than anyone out there. That's why it is worth the wait if you can.

If you use coolbits to troubleshoot the problems the 7900s are having, don't tell BFG support. They voided the warranty on a brand new 7900 GTX, even though all I did was downclock the memory to 650 to confirm that was the cause of artifacts. Guess that's what I get for trying to be helpful.

D&H received shipment from BFG last night, Dell shipped directly from D&H, my final card is going to be here tomorrow! Just in time for the weekend!

You better believe I will be testing that baby thoroughly! I'm already expecting issues with it but maybe this 4th card will be the only one that doesn't have an issue.

Best thing about it is BFG will RMA the card if defective just make sure you ask for one that's been tested looped in 3dmarks06 deep freeze test. Also ATI tool scan for artifacts works well.

Fluke said:
If you use coolbits to troubleshoot the problems the 7900s are having, don't tell BFG support. They voided the warranty on a brand new 7900 GTX, even though all I did was downclock the memory to 650 to confirm that was the cause of artifacts. Guess that's what I get for trying to be helpful.

Email [email protected] and [email protected]

Call corporate HQ and ask for Scott Herkelman I believe he is the VP of Marketing, if you don't get anywhere ask for a senior technician. If you email those email addresses with a professional yet firm email about buying their high end card and that you feel you've been mistreated I guarantee you that someone at the top of the ladder will solve your issue.

Are you having the 3DM2006 Deep Freeze HDR issue where it locks up? And artifacting in games occasionally?

These problems are well known at BFG, this isn't a random isolated issue, 3 cards I've received and all 3 defective at different times, 1 of them was immediate, 2nd was after 2 days, 3rd was 1 week later.

pentium said:
Email [email protected] and [email protected]

Call corporate HQ and ask for Scott Herkelman I believe he is the VP of Marketing, if you don't get anywhere ask for a senior technician. If you email those email addresses with a professional yet firm email about buying their high end card and that you feel you've been mistreated I guarantee you that someone at the top of the ladder will solve your issue.

Are you having the 3DM2006 Deep Freeze HDR issue where it locks up? And artifacting in games occasionally?

These problems are well known at BFG, this isn't a random isolated issue, 3 cards I've received and all 3 defective at different times, 1 of them was immediate, 2nd was after 2 days, 3rd was 1 week later.

Life's too short to hassle with companies like BFG. They were clearly looking for any loophole they could find to stick me with their defective product. Besides there was no need. I had the card for just 2 days so I told the support guy I'd never buy BFG again and then returned it to the retailer for 100% refund.

And yes, the failure was the same one everyone else is experiencing. Worked fine first day. Artifacts second day after an all night torture test.

My advice to everyone on this board: DO NOT BUY BFG PRODUCTS!

Fluke said:
Life's too short to hassle with companies like BFG. They were clearly looking for any loophole they could find to stick me with their defective product. Besides there was no need. I had the card for just 2 days so I told the support guy I'd never buy BFG again and then returned it to the retailer for 100% refund.

And yes, the failure was the same one everyone else is experiencing. Worked fine first day. Artifacts second day after an all night torture test.

My advice to everyone on this board: DO NOT BUY BFG PRODUCTS!

Sorry but I disagree 110% with this statement, BFG is well known in our enthusiast community, you most likely received support from a low level technician that has ZERO authority in the company and he was following his own ridiculous instincts.

You can't ask for better support from a company than to have someone hand pick you a new card, give you their personal cellphone to contact them and even call you daily to ensure you are a happy customer.

The 3 owners of BFG started that company a few years ago unhappy with Visiontek where they were all three executives of. They are gamers, and enthusiats themselves and want nothing more than to have happy customers.

Please do not judge a company like BFG from a low level tech that has zero authority. Judge them by the ownership and USA technical support you receive which is 24/7! and LIFETIME!

Years ago I had a fan on my heatsink go out on a on 5900 card and they replaced it cross shipped with no downtime I only had to pay $15 shipping which was less than the cost of a new HSF anyway.

Now they are unfortunately plagued with issues that EVGA, XFX are also having, do some research on google and you WILL find all 7900 GTX manufacturers having problems.

BFG does stick by their product and WILL assist you, like any company you just need to get past the low level nobody and get to someone that will care. They are definately absolutely RMAing cards immediately. For this reason I am sticking with BFG as long as their support stays top notch :)

Back