Dell S2716DG vs U2715H

Citizen Snips

Limp Gawd
I am preparing to build my first dual monitor system and am having trouble deciding between the Dell S2716DG and the U2715H. I want to get a GTX 1080 and the computer will be used about 1/3 each on:

1. design using CAD type software plus coding
2. gaming (FPS mainly)
3. typical stuff: web, video, office apps, etc.

That said, which monitor would be best? I've read a lot on the differences between TN and IPS, and here are my thoughts:

1. The main difference seems to be lower response time / higher refresh rates (TN) vs better color and viewing angles (IPS)
2. I don't want to play the RMA lottery (this ruled out other brands like Acer and Asus, at least based on my reading)
3. I'm currently using a Dell 2405FPW (circa 2009), so maybe either of the above choices would be a huge improvement in both color and response time?
4. Perfect color reproduction is not a requirement (but overall good color is still nice to have)

I also noticed that while manufacturers such as Acer and Asus offer a 27" IPS with GSYNC, Dell currently does not. Because I don't want to play the RMA lottery however, it looks like my choice is a 27" TN with GSYNC, or a 27" IPS without.

Are there any other manufacturers I should consider?

Funny my nephews nickname on Facebook is Citizen Snips. I was like... wait... no way.

I just returned the Asus Rog 27" IPS to Amazon. Had 4 stuck grey pixels dead center in the screen. Right. Next. To. My. Cross hair. Off to the side maybe... but right in the middle for $800 ain't happenin'. Actually found it to be a little blury playing Battlefield. The back light bleed was acceptable, not really noticeable. but meh.... until the quality improves I don't feel like spending $800 and dealing with shit.

I'm thinking the Dell 2716DG. I actually just put it in my cart but decided to wait until the morning.

I actually prefer TN myself - the IPS was just too bright for white screens like Amazon and browers. The lower response time will be better for my Battlefield fun and a little cheaper to boot. Also I've had great luck with Dell quality before. Still rocking the Dell Ultrasharp 2001.

I WAS thinking about the 24" Dell but it's back ordered. I kinda found the 27" annoying for non-gaming use.. always moving screens around. But for gaming the 27" was the bomb. My only other thought was the Asus 24" non-gysnc TN that's super popular for $250. Cheap and effective.

I recently learned that Dell's 0 dead pixel guarantee does not apply to the S2716DG because it is not one of their Ultrasharp monitors. I'm guessing if you bought one from Amazon and it had any dead pixels you could exchange it, but once you got a good one and it was past Amazon's 30 day return window, Dell would not exchange it unless it had 6 or more dead pixels.

Yeah they have pretty much the same policy as Asus on pixels. At least you can return it within 30 days on Amazon. Buying from Dell not so much except the Ultrasharps like you said. Amazon pays the shipping back as well. I've never had a dead pixel show up later so I'm not so worried about that, although it would suck.

It's kinda misleading the Dell site shows 30 day easy returns but the fine print indicates for non-Ultrasharps the pixels has to be numerous to return it.

Fry's is another option. They'll take anything back. Just have to pay the shipping I think.

But yeah my hope is the quality in general is better with Dell even for the non-Ultrasharps. The last few Asus non-motherboard products I've bought have all been low quality.

Benq was the other brand I was looking at. They have similar models and good reviews.

I was skeptical of G-sync and have used IPS almost exclusively for my primary LCD since the Dell 2001fp.
I took a chance just 2 months ago and I bought a S2716DG.

I don't have the time at the moment to write a long winded explanation to convince you, but I will say that I'm 100% happy that I bought a S2716DG. I was willing to take a chance on Acer however, but they cancelled 3 orders I'd placed when their website listed the XB270HU and XB271HU as in stock. I'm not ready to plunk down the $800 for a brand new one, so the S2716DG fit the bill at $450 on sale.

Another option is the ViewSonic XG2703 IPS with G-sync.
ViewSonic XG2703-GS Black 27" 4ms (GTG) IPS G-SYNC Gaming Monitor,165Hz,300 cd/m2,DCR 12,000,000:1(1000:1),Dual Built-in Speakers,VESA Mountable,Height,Pivot,Swivel,Tilt Adjustment,USB 3.0 HDMI-Newegg.com

It's a newegg exclusive right now. There's an [H] thread and an OCN thread

Review: ViewSonic XG2703-GS Review - PC Monitors

To further complicate the issue, I just learned that the U2715H was recently replaced with the U2717D.

Thanks J Macker. I'm pretty certain now that the S2716DG is the one I want. I had it in my Amazon cart last night for $560 and decided to sleep on it.... this morning it's $640. Sigh. 27" 1 ms Gsync for $560 seems like a really good deal.

Then again I was kinda set on the S2417DG after trying the 27" ASUS Rog because I found it a little big for non-gaming use, but since the 27" Dell was only $560 I figured I had to get that one. Reading the thread on the S2417DG and peoples comments on 24" being the ideal size has my flip flopping again.

why would you want a 24" if you can get a 27" for the same price? I think 27" is the perfect size for 1440p. Then again, I haven't tried a 1440p 24".

fwiw, Best Buy and Newegg frequently put the S2716DG on sale for <$500 (see history of sale threads here). Amazon had it for $469 at the end of July.

If you really want to save some money, setup a slickdeal alert. It's bound to go on sale again sometime in Oct-Nov.

Just bought the 2417DG this morning on Amazon for $470. It's been out of stock for awhile now. The 27" is back down to $550 but that's ok - worked out for the best I think. I really like the size of the 24" better. Web pages full screen on the 27" were just too wide, and the portrait mode was ridiculous. 24" is preferable for me and saves me a few bucks, albeit not much now that it's back to $550. Playing FPS only my eyes were wide open and dizzy on the 27".

Would it be a waste to run a GTX 1080 on a 60 Hz, non-GSYNC monitor? Does that just mean my FPS are capped at 60?

Would it be a waste to run a GTX 1080 on a 60 Hz, non-GSYNC monitor? Does that just mean my FPS are capped at 60?
I believe so yes. Just wanted to throw my 2 cents in here: just bought the S2716DG and have played around with it the last two days. I am very satisfied with it, and colors are super for a TN - see the Another best 1440p 144hz thread for more details of my experience with it so far.

Last edited:
Also does anyone know why the S2716DG hasn't been available from Amazon directly for at least a few weeks now?

When I click that link it says "Ships from and sold by JJ WJ" rather than "Ships from and sold by Amazon.com". I am able to buy it, but only from 3rd party sellers. For expensive items and/or things I might need to return, I prefer to deal directly with Amazon rather than a 3rd party.

When I click that link it says "Ships from and sold by JJ WJ" rather than "Ships from and sold by Amazon.com". I am able to buy it, but only from 3rd party sellers. For expensive items and/or things I might need to return, I prefer to deal directly with Amazon rather than a 3rd party.

Yeah ok I hear ya. Yep same here. Only from Amazon.

Just got my DELL S2417DG from Amazon. PERFECT. Not one dead or stuck pixel. 24" is the perfect size IMHO. After adjusting the color settings it looks really good.

Yeah ok I hear ya. Yep same here. Only from Amazon.

Just got my DELL S2417DG from Amazon. PERFECT. Not one dead or stuck pixel. 24" is the perfect size IMHO. After adjusting the color settings it looks really good.
you might be the only one that got the 24". theres not one review for it on amazon, you should be the first, lol. did you have to turn up the scaling? I'd kinda like to have a monitor with high ppi, I still have really good eyes somehow.

you might be the only one that got the 24". theres not one review for it on amazon, you should be the first, lol. did you have to turn up the scaling? I'd kinda like to have a monitor with high ppi, I still have really good eyes somehow.

125% is the recommended scaling on the 24" in Windows 10 on the Dell 24" 1440P

Back