Dell S2716DG, 27" 2560x1440 144hz 1ms "G-Sync Gen II", DP+HDMI

So it happen again - the lines on the right side of the screen right against the scroll bar. My machine was coming out of hibernate mode this time. I had problems with the monitor going into power saving mode, like most people seem to be reporting, then when it finally got out of power saving mode, I noticed the lines again. I took pics this time with my phone.

20160321_202124.jpg 20160321_202159.jpg20160321_202132.jpg20160321_201936.jpg

nvidia card or not -- you shouldn't have any form of corruption

Turn the deep sleep option off and see if you have any further issues coming out of hibernation - latest drivers for the GPU? Drivers for the monitor itself? If none of those solve the problem I'd be sending it back and getting a refund, or going through Dell's warranty program (the pics are proof enough of some problem I'd say)

Thanks for the response collegeboy69us

The first thing out the box was disable deep sleep after reading the reviews lol. I have the monitor drivers installed and I'm going to triple check to see if I have the latest drivers for my video card - but I'm 98% sure I do as I try to keep my system on point.

This morning before work, I powered on my machine just for the hell of it and it happened again so that's a huge sign to maybe send her back.

Today is my Friday, so I'll troubleshoot this as much as possible tonight. This Friday will be the 14th day, but I think newegg has a 30 day return policy. I'll contact them tonight to make sure. If so, that'll give me an additional 2 weeks to figure all this out.

There's another thing that seems off, but it's hard to explain and maybe there's a name for it, but I'm not sure. When I scroll quickly, I see little lines. It also happened in battlefield and gta. I would shoot my gun and see tiny lines or squares around the gun fire. Any ideas?

yeah -- I'd send that puppy back ASAP. sounds like a bad board perhaps.

Not sure if you ordered it online or picked up in store, Dell usually has a pretty good fast replacement policy for warranty items.

I picked it up on newegg on March 13th, so this Friday would be 14 days. I've only had it at home for 6 days, and really only had a chance to use it thy last 5 days.

I think their return policy is 30 days on monitors. I just emailed them, but I'll try to use their "newegg premier" service help to see if I get faster answers.

Sucks having to return this. I'm wondering if I should just get a complete refund? I paid $520 for it. I don't have a gpu that runs this monitor how it should - waiting on pascal. Should I just hold off on both monitor and gpu?

I picked it up on newegg on March 13th, so this Friday would be 14 days. I've only had it at home for 6 days, and really only had a chance to use it thy last 5 days.

I think their return policy is 30 days on monitors. I just emailed them, but I'll try to use their "newegg premier" service help to see if I get faster answers.

Sucks having to return this. I'm wondering if I should just get a complete refund? I paid $520 for it. I don't have a gpu that runs this monitor how it should - waiting on pascal. Should I just hold off on both monitor and gpu?

I'm in the same boat as you -- I want to buy one right now, probably through amazon. If I buy before the end of of the month I can get an extra 3% cashback via amazon card, tempted to just wait and see if prices fall maybe another 50 bucks in the next few months. I'm running AMD cards right now, and like you, I'm waiting for the high end pascal, so odds are I'll be using this Gsync monitor for 6 to 10 months with AMD cards waiting for the rumored 1080p Ti (or whatever they wind up calling it)

So, it looks like I have an additional 2 weeks to keep this monitor. I haven't swapped out the HDMI cable yet, so i'll be doing that next. I'm going to "borrow" my bros gtx 970 just to have a taste of gsync? and display port? maybe that'll clear a few things up. Plus, I should probably try a new hdmi cable?

I borrowed my brother's gtx 970 and hooked up a DP cable and ran a few games using gsync. Looks lovely! I think the issue in the photos above might be due to an old/bad hdmi cable? Monitor seems fine, except, when sometimes, when I'm on a webpage with a white/light background and I scroll quickly, I see very thin vertical lines. Almost pin strips, just for a second. I think I remember someone mentioning that in one of the reviews of the monitor. Any ideas what that's called or how to fix that? Or is that a sign of a bad monitor?

The GTX 970 runs BF4 in high settings and ultra settings above 60 fps. Very nice. Just wondering about those very think vertical lines that appear for a second when scrolling too fast. Happens in game too, but again, when there's a bright flash on the screen (gun fire in gta V and bf4, sometimes).

I borrowed my brother's gtx 970 and hooked up a DP cable and ran a few games using gsync. Looks lovely! I think the issue in the photos above might be due to an old/bad hdmi cable? Monitor seems fine, except, when sometimes, when I'm on a webpage with a white/light background and I scroll quickly, I see very thin vertical lines. Almost pin strips, just for a second. I think I remember someone mentioning that in one of the reviews of the monitor. Any ideas what that's called or how to fix that? Or is that a sign of a bad monitor?

The GTX 970 runs BF4 in high settings and ultra settings above 60 fps. Very nice. Just wondering about those very think vertical lines that appear for a second when scrolling too fast. Happens in game too, but again, when there's a bright flash on the screen (gun fire in gta V and bf4, sometimes).
The vertical lines are a sign of pixel inversion, which is a hardware issue in the panel with alternating voltages in the pixel matrix. It is really only noticeable in fast motion with bright colors. The PG278Q supposedly suffers from the same issue, but I haven't noticed it.

You can use the pixel inversion test here:
Blur Busters UFO Motion Tests

Should I return the monitor if I'm noticing pixel inversion? It only happens sometimes.

Cool thanks. It comes with a 3 year warranty but I might go ahead and pay newegg 30 buckets for their warranty just in case.

I bought one of these last week for $530 on Amazon. Hopefully they will refund the difference.

I bought one of these last week for $530 on Amazon. Hopefully they will refund the difference.

I bought my S2716DG when it was 560 -- then the price dropped to 530. And they credited me back the difference. Was sad to see it drop another 40 bucks, but I don't want to be "that guy" as I actually really like amazon.

Either way -- I paid a total of 530 to my door, and I'm super happy. Now just waiting on a damn 1080 Pascal card to be released!

You worry about a 530 vs $560 price difference, here in Finland these things costs between 699 - 750 EUR = $790 - $850 :rolleyes:

For anyone that wants to improve the color performance of this monitor just go to the icc profile page on TFTCentral ( ICC Profiles and Monitor Settings Database ) and download the .icc file for the Dell S2716DG. They calibrated the monitor with the following settings:

Brightness: 26
Contrast: 75
Color mode: Standard
Red: 97
Green: 99
Blue: 96

To load the icc profile in Windows 10 go to "display settings", "advanced display settings", "display adapter properties" then "color management". Once in color management click the color management button, check the "use my settings for this display" box then click the "add" button at the bottom. Select the icc profile you downloaded from TFTCentral and set that as the default. Once this is done you'll see an immediate improvement on the colors and contrast of the display. Also for anyone that tweaked the color settings in the Nvidia control panel I suggest you set that all back to default before doing this. I personally feel that you don't need any of that once you load the calibrated profile. I hope this helps some of the new owners.

Picked one of these up locally for $489.99 + tax. My previous monitor was an Acer X233H that I used for 6-7 years so pretty much anything is an upgrade for me at this point. I have a 960 running it.

Overall it looks nice. I really like the 144HZ but G-Sync hasn't impressed me like it has others. I wonder if I would even notice a difference if it was missing.

Color shift is definitely an issue with a very noticeable vertical gradient on solid color screens.
Zero dead pixels but there is an odd dead-looking pixel in the very upper right corner, within the solid black area right next to the bezel. It is somewhat distracting because it is on the window side of the room and is thus more reflective than the surrounding black area. I see it every time I close a program.
Finally, the deal breaker. There is permanent light bleed along 1-2" of the bottom bezel just to the left of the logo. It isn't subtle, either, and remains visible even when brightness is set to zero. Looks like an LED flashlight is shining upwards into the screen and 2 beams of light extend about an inch into the display in a "V" shape. It's very noticeable and I will be returning the monitor.

I will try one more time. $530 is too much for me to drop on something that I am not completely happy with and at the same time I don't want to spend time and resources trying to get a satisfactory monitor. I would probably keep it as-is if it was a $200 display but not for $500+. This generation of panels has one more chance to make me happy before I stick with my Acer until the new gen arrives.

UPDATE: They didn't have any more in stock so I accepted a refund. Paying $530 for this monitor with the blue light defect wasn't worth it to me. Interestingly enough, reverting back to the old $120 (7 years ago) 1080P 23" Acer wasn't startling in the least. I miss the desktop smoothness of the 144hz and the extra 4" but performance-wise I feel like it is VERY close to the S2716DG. I played Shadow of Mordor on Ultra with the HD pack installed with my 960 for 4ish hours on the G-Synced S2716DG then again on the X233H and I can say with confidence that the upgrade isn't worth $500+.

Especially since I can get a brand new 55" 4k IPS TV without defects for the same cost.

Last edited:
I posted this in another thread, but this should be in the official thread. I just got mine today to replace my Asus ROG Swift that had the panel go bad after 3 months of ownership.

Same report to give as Raendor. No noticable blb, could not find any dead pixels. I calibrated per the TFT Central settings and it looks great. Very sharp. Compared to my ROG Swift (which was also calibrated per TFT Central settings) that is getting RMA'd the gamma is different as TC notes in their review. For what I do (gaming, office, CAD) I prefer the gamma like this. Very sharp image.

I'm very happy with it right off the bat. Always a relief when you get something that just works...sad as that sounds.

on sale at newegg today. $479
Great price. i bought for the same from jet. Will probably stick to it till oled or something else becomes affordable as I can't stand those numerous issues with ips and glow. This Dell monitor is just great for a price you can get it for.

Love this monitor so far. I prefer the (calibrated) image to the Asus ROG Swift.

I use the TFT Central settings exactly from their review along with their ICC profile. Check the calibration section of the review linked.

Dell S2716DG

But what about games? I heard that the .icc profiles are disabled, when gaming, and that 1.9 gamma then becomes noticeable. I'm tempted to get this screen, because in here, it costs about 2400PLN - $500, and the IPS versions go at about $750 - it's also about $100 cheaper than ROG Swift, so looks like a deal, but in most of the reviews people point at the gamma issues.

But what about games? I heard that the .icc profiles are disabled, when gaming, and that 1.9 gamma then becomes noticeable. I'm tempted to get this screen, because in here, it costs about 2400PLN - $500, and the IPS versions go at about $750 - it's also about $100 cheaper than ROG Swift, so looks like a deal, but in most of the reviews people point at the gamma issues.

Not an "issue" for me. Games look, and play great.

On my low gamma Swift I've dealt with it on a huge number of different games and the situation is mostly acceptable now. I use Monitor Calibration Wizard after applying the icc profile in WIndows and when games are being difficult I use borderless windowed mode (there are also tools available for games that don't support it out of the box). For older games I've had luck with ColorClutch also (dll injector), for example Tomb Raider Anniversary and UT2004. Yes G-Sync does work perfectly in windowed mode if you enable the option in NVCP.

(I would still prefer a monitor that's perfect out of the box of course but my panel is so nice other than that that I'm not gonna be playing the lottery again for the time being)

My monitor just arrived. It's superb - no dead pixels, build quality is okay too... Tried a bit of gaming - blazing fast, and it doesn't look that washed out, as I was afraid to be. Yes, it might have tad worse colours than my earlier U2715H, but there are no tearings and such, when playing FC Primal or Witcher 3. I'm glad I bought this monitor.

I was going to Chat with dell or suggest Dell make a 1440P IPS 27" gaming monitor I might start a Chat today with a Dell rep.

Idea storm is plagued with spam

My monitor just arrived. It's superb - no dead pixels, build quality is okay too... Tried a bit of gaming - blazing fast, and it doesn't look that washed out, as I was afraid to be. Yes, it might have tad worse colours than my earlier U2715H, but there are no tearings and such, when playing FC Primal or Witcher 3. I'm glad I bought this monitor.

Try the TFT Central settings (from the Calibration section) from their Dell S2716DG Review along with their ICC profile as a starting point. I just kept it the way they set it up and personally I find the image to be great for everything that I do.

Try the TFT Central settings (from the Calibration section) from their Dell S2716DG Review along with their ICC profile as a starting point. I just kept it the way they set it up and personally I find the image to be great for everything that I do.

Tried that, but it's too dark... that 25% brightness is no go for me - everything is too grey. I set it at 50% and then it get where I wanted :)

Tried that, but it's too dark... that 25% brightness is no go for me - everything is too grey. I set it at 50% and then it get where I wanted :)

Cool....why I recommend it as a starting point. Everyone has a different room, preferences, etc.

Almost everywhere is now selling them for ~$499, I had BestBuy match Amazon for $479 earlier in the week. But their pathetically slow shipping won't deliver it till Wednesday to my local store. I guess I should have picked ship to my home and I probably would already have it. Anyway seems like a good deal for that price. I assume dell might be introducing something new if they're discounting there?

Ohh I bought from BestBuy instead of Amazon because on my Citi Thank You points Amazon gives me about $400 credit for 50,000 points, BestBuy gave me $500. So after $500 credit Monitor cost me ~$22

Almost everywhere is now selling them for ~$499, I had BestBuy match Amazon for $479 earlier in the week. But their pathetically slow shipping won't deliver it till Wednesday to my local store. I guess I should have picked ship to my home and I probably would already have it. Anyway seems like a good deal for that price. I assume dell might be introducing something new if they're discounting there?

Ohh I bought from BestBuy instead of Amazon because on my Citi Thank You points Amazon gives me about $400 credit for 50,000 points, BestBuy gave me $500. So after $500 credit Monitor cost me ~$22
Pretty damn affordable for 27" G-Sync. Hope it works out for you.

I picked one of these up - refurb'd from the Dell Outlet for ~$330 - and man am I happy. I'm coming from a BenQ XL2420T - this monitor looks so much better, I can hardly believe it.

I've recently upgraded to this monitor from an old IPS panel. Like most others have been saying, TN image quality just isn't as good as IPS; there's no way around it. The colors don't pop as much, text looks slightly blurry by comparison, and the textures just aren't as crisp. I certainly wouldn't recommend paying the MSRP of $800 for it, but you don't have to; it's available on sale every few weeks for $500 or less.

This brings us to the alternatives. The cheapest 1440p 144hz G-Sync IPS monitor is the
Acer Predator XB271HU, which is about $250 more expensive in addition to all of Acer's quality control issues. Is a slightly better image quality really worth paying a 40% markup for? I think that for most value-conscious gamers, the answer is probably no. The only way to get an IPS that competes with this display in terms of value is to sacrifice G-sync, which would put it within range of the Acer XF270HU or ASUS MG MG279Q 27. Then, you're asking yourself whether you value g-sync versus IPS.

text should definitely not look any different than on any other LCD. i think the fact that IPS/AHVA/PLS/blabla monitors still have glow in 2016 completely removes them from the pool of "good" monitors. these 8 bit high end TN panels are about 99% as good as AHVA (which are worse than the PLS QNIX i've compared my PG278Q with) without immersion-raping glow and are cheaper. XB271HU/PG279Q make no sense imo. would be nice if somebody would come out with a 27" 16:9 1440p 144+ Hz strobing VA but looks like we're going to be getting OLED monitors before then at this rate, if ever. the Samsung 35" 144 Hz 3440x1440 VA seems like it's going to be awesome but i have a bad feeling that it won't strobe and/or will have input lag issues.

How do you guys adjust the correct brightness to fit your room brightness? Do you adjust the brightness knob? or both brightness and contrast knob?

I don't have a calibration tool. I'm reading Keep Your Computer From Destroying Your Eyesight . It mentioned "If it looks like a light source in the room, it’s too bright." Should the monitor be just as bright as a white paper on my desk? That means 0 brightness 75 contrast (with tftcentral icc profile).

Last edited:
Back