Dell S2716DG, 27" 2560x1440 144hz 1ms "G-Sync Gen II", DP+HDMI

Hmm VH278H also had agresive matte coating. And it also had PWM unlike this one.

But I think much more likely source of eye strain is reduction in size of all fonts and elements on desktop.

I turned off Monitor Deep Sleep under Others and the problem with waking up went away.

That helped thanks.

^ Yeah I would try doing the 125% DPI boost in windows so see if that makes a difference.

Also on the fence on buying a GTX970 today as I'm not sure my 680 will be able to maintain 120+fps in csgo at 1440p.

I'd feel silly buying a Radeon to pair with my G-Sync monitor :p I'd prefer to stay with Nvidia anyway just due to personal preference. I would get a 980ti, but I want to see what happens with Pascal.

Are 980 (non-ti) even worth considering?

You want to stay Nvidia to be able to use G-Sync.

Re: 980. Used? Maybe. Brand new in Canada? Nope.

I'd feel silly buying a Radeon to pair with my G-Sync monitor :p I'd prefer to stay with Nvidia anyway just due to personal preference. I would get a 980ti, but I want to see what happens with Pascal.

Are 980 (non-ti) even worth considering?

I should really pay more attention to what thread I'm in -- sorry. ;)

As for the 980 thing? No, not really. Not when the Ti can be had for ~$100 more and is that much faster.

As for Pascal... I'm betting we won't see large die high end chips for almost a year yet -- Nvidia and AMD tend to release smaller die low to mid range GPUs to work out the kinks in the process, maybe a crazy-high-workstation card, then go for the enthusiast gaming market. This is a pattern they've followed many times, and I don't see any reason to believe they're about to stop now. As you can see I already put my money where my mouth is on that and picked up a couple 980Tis... so here's hoping I'm not wrong, for my own sake, or I'll probably look pretty foolish in 6 months.

based on current blackfriday sale prices i can get a MSI 980 Gaming for $559.98CAD vs ~830 for a 980ti.

I did some math and it works out to be 20 firestike 3dmarks per dollar for the 980 and 17 for the 980ti...

I'm so torn and the futuremark site is down so i cant get better numbers for comparison.

You want 980ti for 1440p high fps gaming - G-sync is good but 120 Hz ULMB is holy grail and I'm barely hitting stable 120 with DMC or Remember me which aren't that demanding titles.

Oh i should have mentioned that I only care about hitting 120/144fps in cs:go

Last edited:
Just got it 10 min ago. Screen has 1 stuck blue pixel. Top half of the screen is darker than the bottom. There is also color shifts even when looking at it head on. I noticed the sparkle on white/red that everyone was talking about with the AG

144hz is really smooth.

edit: color shift is really annoying. I don't care that much about the dead pixel, but the color shifts and darker on top than bottom i cant handle, started a newegg return,

hopefully one day i'll find my screen. Til then i'm going back to my crappy QNIX.

Last edited:
Just got it 10 min ago. Screen has 1 stuck blue pixel. Top half of the screen is darker than the bottom. There is also color shifts even when looking at it head on. I noticed the sparkle on white/red that everyone was talking about with the AG

144hz is really smooth.

edit: color shift is really annoying. I don't care that much about the dead pixel, but the color shifts and darker on top than bottom i cant handle, started a newegg return,

hopefully one day i'll find my screen. Til then i'm going back to my crappy QNIX.

It won't be a TN. TN is just a terrible display technology, and it makes me sad it still exists outside of bargain basement crap.

I gave TN another try after years of swearing it off, recently -- got a $600 28" UD590 Samsung 4K monitor, figuring if they were focusing on image quality rather than gaming specs and had the gall to charge $600+ for the thing it couldn't be that bad. It didn't look bad in store, but when I got it home there was no contrast and everything was terribly washed out, or it was retina-searing bright. Or both. There was massive color shift if I wasn't viewing absolutely head-on, and even then if I turned or tilted my head it was readily visible even when not looking for it. It was literally one of the worst displays I've dealt with in the last 10 years. It was trash.

It was a TN -- I should have known better. So I returned it, got an IPS that's slightly lower res and another $250 on top of that; while I'm not thrilled (I really wanted 4K) it's vastly better.

I went from IPS to the Dell TN panel and I dont think that its that huge of a deal. Ofcourse each person perceives color a bit differently. I could tell the colors were a bit off but with calibration and some gamma adjustment its almost perfect. Yes it doesnt have the pop of the IPS colors but in gaming its hardly noticeable with all the action going on.
My concern was all the QC issues with ASUS and Acer with the crap IPS panels with backlight bleed and yellow tinting across the panels.

I am really glad for this Dell and it will probably hold me out until 4K is really mature. The video cards of today have a hard time with 4K at high framerates until you go SLI. I want to avoid SLI ... had too many issue in the past.

It won't be a TN. TN is just a terrible display technology, and it makes me sad it still exists outside of bargain basement crap.

I gave TN another try after years of swearing it off, recently -- got a $600 28" UD590 Samsung 4K monitor, figuring if they were focusing on image quality rather than gaming specs and had the gall to charge $600+ for the thing it couldn't be that bad. It didn't look bad in store, but when I got it home there was no contrast and everything was terribly washed out, or it was retina-searing bright. Or both. There was massive color shift if I wasn't viewing absolutely head-on, and even then if I turned or tilted my head it was readily visible even when not looking for it. It was literally one of the worst displays I've dealt with in the last 10 years. It was trash.

It was a TN -- I should have known better. So I returned it, got an IPS that's slightly lower res and another $250 on top of that; while I'm not thrilled (I really wanted 4K) it's vastly better.

So by one shitty TN display, all TNs are equally shitty? :rolleyes:

Those 4K TN panels are generally some of the best TN panels from a color and viewing angles perspective. The ROG swift I have is no better in that regard, although it has other advantages. But if someone is dead set against TN due to viewing angles (and I can completely sympathize with that), then this monitor will not change your mind. Get an IPS GSync if you cab afford it.

Hmm VH278H also had agresive matte coating. And it also had PWM unlike this one.

But I think much more likely source of eye strain is reduction in size of all fonts and elements on desktop.

That helped thanks.

Thanks. Needed this too with the one i just got today

I wonder how far from IPS this panel really is (once calibrated). I need something that can also photo/video edit. Would I be nuts to get this?

I wonder how far from IPS this panel really is (once calibrated). I need something that can also photo/video edit. Would I be nuts to get this?

Yes, no one would use a TN panel for any serious photo editing. Just pony up the extra cash for a 144Hz Gsync IPS panel.

Yes, no one would use a TN panel for any serious photo editing. Just pony up the extra cash for a 144Hz Gsync IPS panel.

Right, and by the same token, nobody who gives a shit about black levels for dark gaming or movies would get one of the IPS displays. The IPS glow and BLB is *obscene* with those displays. The worst black levels I've seen in LCD displays since they first came out.

Right, and by the same token, nobody who gives a shit about black levels for dark gaming or movies would get one of the IPS displays. The IPS glow and BLB is *obscene* with those displays. The worst black levels I've seen in LCD displays since they first came out.

He wasn't asking about dark gaming or movies he's asking about photo editing and IPS would at least do better in that. And when it comes to any dark content LCD sucks in general whether it's TN or IPS or even VA even though the last does slightly better.

Yeah, you're right. I suppose I was just adding the point because I've been seeing a lot of "IPS is always superior with no downsides" talk which is BS.

Yeah, you're right. I suppose I was just adding the point because I've been seeing a lot of "IPS is always superior with no downsides" talk which is BS.

I agree. I've finally settled on two monitors - an ASUS PG278Q for gaming and a Dell U2715H for most everything else. I tried gaming on the 34" ultrawide Dell and the IPS glow combined with the back light bleed ruined the experience for me. I'm happy with my current setup.

I agree. I've finally settled on two monitors - an ASUS PG278Q for gaming and a Dell U2715H for most everything else. I tried gaming on the 34" ultrawide Dell and the IPS glow combined with the back light bleed ruined the experience for me. I'm happy with my current setup.

Even though my Acer has minimal BLB and glow, it's still there and noticeable during any dark content if I don't keep the room lights on. After using a BenQ XL2730Z which had absolutely zero bleed and glow, sometimes I wish I'd have gotten a TN panel since I mainly game...but all the 1440p TN panels use such harsh matte coatings that I couldn't get used to it =/ wish someone would release a fully glossy version of the Swift/Dell.

No-one who cares about those things would buy an AUO AHVA panel.
A good IPS panel is fine for those things.
AUO are the only company making >60Hz "IPS Type" panels for monitors though.

Even an AUO AHVA panel is going to be better than any TN/VA panel for photo/video editing. Just be sure to do your editing in a properly lit room, and not in the dark.

Nope. Look up reviews on that Samsung -- many people are perfectly fine with it, even claiming Samsung "fixed" what was wrong with TNs by way of the (horribly implemented and useless) "MagicAngle" settings in the OSD. All I can figure is, either they have never used an actual, good display -- all poor quality TN laptop panels or something -- or they just don't care about color quality / are incredibly unobservant.

Those 4K TN panels are generally some of the best TN panels from a color and viewing angles perspective. The ROG swift I have is no better in that regard, although it has other advantages. But if someone is dead set against TN due to viewing angles (and I can completely sympathize with that), then this monitor will not change your mind. Get an IPS GSync if you cab afford it.

I didn't go with G-Sync because I feel it's extremely overpriced and insofar as I know there isn't a 21:9 Gsync monitor yet. The Acer Predator X34 is coming soon, but it's looking to be $1200-1300 on release, which is a good bit more than I care to pay. The ASUS PG348Q is also unreleased and will likely cost the same, if not more.

$800 for the Dell U3415W was hard to swallow, but at least it's a well built, pre-calibrated professional level panel with a 3 year warranty. I'd love to have G-Sync, but it's something I can live without, and I don't like to feel stuck with one brand of GPU over the other anyway -- I tend to keep my monitor many years, through 3 or 4 sets of GPUs, and having to stay with Nvidia for G-Sync or AMD for FreeSync would really bother me.

Even though my Acer has minimal BLB and glow, it's still there and noticeable during any dark content if I don't keep the room lights on. After using a BenQ XL2730Z which had absolutely zero bleed and glow, sometimes I wish I'd have gotten a TN panel since I mainly game...but all the 1440p TN panels use such harsh matte coatings that I couldn't get used to it =/ wish someone would release a fully glossy version of the Swift/Dell.

I understand completely about the matte coating. I'm still trying to decide if I'm going to keep my Swift due to how harsh the matte coating is on it. I often forget about it when I game but every once in a while I notice it and it's very jarring.

Even an AUO AHVA panel is going to be better than any TN/VA panel for photo/video editing. Just be sure to do your editing in a properly lit room, and not in the dark.
Ok, Thanks. I guess I'll just stick with IPS for now until a better 144hz IPS gaming/editing all-in-one solution arrives.

I understand completely about the matte coating. I'm still trying to decide if I'm going to keep my Swift due to how harsh the matte coating is on it. I often forget about it when I game but every once in a while I notice it and it's very jarring.

There is a TN version of the Acer, the XB270HU Abprz, $599 at Newegg. I wonder if it has the same matte coating found on the Dell and the Asus.

go to color management and add it then make it your default color profile.

Go to search in windows version 7-8-10 then type color then select color management.

Last edited:

XB271HU (270's successor) has fairly acceptable IPS glow, I asked the guy at the stand to show me a completely black picture, and I didn't find the glow to be terribly visible (comparable to Swift anyhow, at least nothing that makes my eyes cringe).

PG279Q on the other hand was a lot worse, I could see more glow on that monitor when a dark patch is placed next to a bright white page than I could on XB271HU when it is displaying totally dark, I can only imagine the kind of glow I'd see if the buy at the Asus stand would let me test a black screen...

I bought BL3201PT recently and I found its glow to be slightly better than Swift's. Though not by much, it's still better and I am fairly happy with it (the stuff I am unhappy about has more to do with my GPU and less to do with the BenQ, except in FO4...)

If XB271HU's actual performance is anywhere near like the one I have seen on the ITmonth exhibition, I'd prefer that over Swift, most likely.

If IPS glow can be corrected or eliminated, I genuinely don't think there is any reason to choose TN over IPS, but alas, IPS glow is not just a matter of QC issue.

Well at current prices I could buy half of another Dell for the price premium they ask for PG279Q

Dell has made a great gaming monitor, It uses one of the best if not the best TN panel available, it has an 8 bit panel and none of the quality control issues Asus and Acer has. The reviews on Amazon and New egg also back up my statement.

Its faster and has better uniformity than recent IPS panels.

Bottom line if you want a great gaming monitor with very good color and lightning fast response times there is no better monitor out there. The price has also dropped below Asus and Acer offerings.

I could not be happier and I sleep better knowing if I have an issue with my monitor Dell will provide exceptional support. Support from Acer and Asus is the bottom of the barrel.

This is coming from a guy who has built at least 50 computers for family and friends and I never buy anything other than an Asus motherboard. I never had one fail and only one doa. which i quickly exchanged at the egg.

Last edited:
Go to search in windows version 7-8-10 then type color then select color management.

go to color management and add it then make it your default color profile.

The "add" button is greyed out. Any idea why? Over-ridden by the Nvidia Control Panel?

By the way, it should be clear that my new Dell Gaming Monitor arrived today. Coming from a 10 year old Dell 20"...BF4 is a whole new experience, so smooth. Wow, just wow.

No dead pixels and just a hint of light bleed in the lower right corner. Really have to look for it on a black screen. I don't think the anti-glare is heavy, though I'm probably used to such a coating and it's for the best given the window behind me. Not disappointed in the least.

Last edited:
Its faster and has better uniformity than recent IPS panels.

Faster? No question, it's worlds faster. Better uniformity? That's a complete joke. You can get far, far higher quality monitors in this price range if you're willing to drop G-Sync/FreeSync. Don't get me wrong, that's fine -- everyone has different priorities, and as I've said before if you're a twitch gamer or screen tearing really bothers you and you're willing to make sacrifices in terms of image quality to get rid of it, that's fine... but no one should be pretending this Dell or any other TN has good color reproduction. It's just a limitation of the tech -- there's no such thing as a TN that reproduces colors correctly, even when viewed head-on.

Faster? No question, it's worlds faster. Better uniformity? That's a complete joke. You can get far, far higher quality monitors in this price range if you're willing to drop G-Sync/FreeSync. Don't get me wrong, that's fine -- everyone has different priorities, and as I've said before if you're a twitch gamer or screen tearing really bothers you and you're willing to make sacrifices in terms of image quality to get rid of it, that's fine... but no one should be pretending this Dell or any other TN has good color reproduction. It's just a limitation of the tech -- there's no such thing as a TN that reproduces colors correctly, even when viewed head-on.

Interesting. I thought the TFTCentral review of the Swift showed it to have very accurate color, even right out of the box.

Edit: not implying that it's better than a top flight IPS display, just that it's better than you're implying.

lol

Back