Dell S2716DG, 27" 2560x1440 144hz 1ms "G-Sync Gen II", DP+HDMI

There must have been too many returns to Amazon. They have stopped selling it for now. Same deal with the ROG and 270HU if I recall.

Normally the reviews would point to a problem, I am not seeing that on Amazon or New-Egg they look good.

Could be something else going on here. When people get something bad they normally review it.

Last edited:
The problem is all of the panels are made by the same company, AU Optronics. They are single-handedly fucking up the entire industry. Until someone else who actually cares about quality starts manufacturing them it will just be more of the same.

You would think that the individual companies - Acer/Asus/Dell - would catch and reject the unacceptable panels though, even if they only come from one supplier...

I guess that's too much to ask.

This is almost comical

I've ordered one three weeks ago. The shop called next day trying to sell me their extended warranty and told me they are waiting for Dell to confirm availability.

3 days ago they cancelled my order without saying a word.

So I looked and found S2716DG in other shop which had it on stock but I ordered it on Wednesday - so I was expecting they will send it next day - but no they runned out of 2 euro cleaning materials which i ordered together with it so they held my order which i found out when I called them....

Ehh I could have had it for whole weekend for testing and now I'll get it on Monday.

I was wondering has anyone compared this to the old Dell 2209WA monitor in terms of motion blur and depth. How does "one of the best current TN panels" compare to the old 2209WA IPS monitor?

Any input would be much appreciated. I want a G-Sync gaming monitor and I think this is the best one on the market right now, but I don't want to be downgrading in terms of everything else. I'm hoping it doesn't suck to my IPS adjusted eyes.

Whats wrong with me? I cannot fathom spending $600 on a TN panel. What am I missing?

EDIT: I know it's 144hz but you can get the same size for much less. For example

Whats wrong with me? I cannot fathom spending $600 on a TN panel. What am I missing?

EDIT: I know it's 144hz but you can get the same size for much less. For example

I'm in the same boat. I'm coming from a Dell 2209WA IPS monitor and really want to buy this... but the TN panel is preventing me from pulling the trigger. I searched this thread and nobody has made the comparison.

You will pay more for 2560*1440 and 8 bit color which the XL2720Z does not have. I love the BenQ btw I have one too. I gave it to my daughter when i upgraded to the Dell.

The picture on this monitor is great and most of the reviews agree with me. The panel uniformity is the best I have seen in any LCD panel to date.

Add in the great Dell service if you ever need it and you have a winner. I think the ROG Swift 278Q is on sale for 549.99 on Newegg but by the reviews it looks like Asus is selling used monitors as new from the recent reviews. They are also referring people directly to Asus for support that is not a place you want to be in for sure. I love Asus motherboards but their support rivals the worst I have ever seen.

1440p 27" screens have always been more expensive by at least 50%

So 230$ for 8 bit panel, 1440p and variable refresh seems more than fair.

ROG Swift 278Q... Newegg... referring people directly to Asus for support that is not a place you want to be in for sure. I love Asus motherboards but their support rivals the worst I have ever seen.

not quite all true. I purchased a Swift from Newegg a couple weeks ago that had a dead pixel and a sometimes finicky cable... I was going to keep it but after seeing Newegg drop the price by $130 shortly after I purchased it, I decided to return it. No issues at all from Newegg (as long as you have the box, this is IMPORTANT).

Dell Canada is selling this monitor for 699 for Black Friday, I might pick one up at that price.

The Microsoft Store (Canada) has been selling it at that price for about a week now.

It should be ~$625 if you have the educational discount.

If you prefer to go through Dell though, that seems to be the best they will do for now (they had that price a few weeks ago).

The Microsoft Store (Canada) has been selling it at that price for about a week now.

If you prefer to go through Dell though, that seems to be the best they will do for now (they had that price a few weeks ago).

It's 599 at Newegg/Amazon right now...

Might wait for Dell as I want to ensure I can ship back as many as I need to get a great panel, not that I've had a bad experience with MS store but I don't want to take advantage of their shipping policy due to Dell's product.

Last edited:
not quite all true. I purchased a Swift from Newegg a couple weeks ago that had a dead pixel and a sometimes finicky cable... I was going to keep it but after seeing Newegg drop the price by $130 shortly after I purchased it, I decided to return it. No issues at all from Newegg (as long as you have the box, this is IMPORTANT).

I was reading the most recent reviews on new-egg that's what many people said. I like Asus motherboards but their support is the worst and QC on monitors is sad. At least with Dell you get great support.

Well my mother-in-law agreed to buy it for me for xmas so I'm gonna put the MS store's policies to the test and save her $70.

dude-getting-dell-doh.jpg

My Dell arrived today :)

Just finished unpacking and some initial testing

+ very high build quality except flimsy buttons
- holy shit who puts this super aggressive matte coating on those displays
+1440p is nice improvement
+ pixel perfect
+ no fingerprints/dust/whatever else below coating
+ no banding
+/- TN viewing angles - after I've positioned in ergonomic position it's minimally visible on top of screen when i used full solid colour background (it really bothered me in notebooks which change position constantly but doesn't bother me on desktop)
+/- I think i'm seeing a moderate backlight bleed on bottom and a bit on top
- internal bezels are stupid gimmick
+ great brightness regulation
- changing from g-sync to ULMB mode is lot of pain
+ g-sync is truly working playing game fluctuating from 60 to 120 fps felt like nothing changed
++ ULMB wow this is amazing :) I've used blurbusters moving ufo test and difference to my MBPr screen in motion clarity is insane

So far my biggest problem is matte coating - white/yellow background in windows look like dust on screen but on the other hand when I started game I quickly forget it's there.

I'll try it for few days to decide if motion clarity/fluidity/resolution outweighs matte coating (and whatever else I can find as faults)

Hopefully over the weekend I'll have some time to run testing side by side vs my MVA 2760HS and post some pictures.

One annoying thing I have discovered about this monitor is that the HDMI input is configured for RGB Limited (16-235) colorspace, as though it was a TV. This means gaming on a connected console looks a bit washed out as the color palette is limited when compared to RGB Full from the PC.

If the OSD options were worth a damn this wouldn't be a problem, but you can't adjust ANYTHING in this OSD (just like the Asus Swift.) Brightness, Contrast and R/G/B are not enough... BenQ gets it, their monitors give quite a range of display options, INCLUDING gamma and colorspace!

any chance someone could summarize how the QA is on these? cant read 10 pages.

I'm trying to get a good web browsing and gaming monitor. I tired the acer IPS gsync and i liked it, but it had a lot of QA issues, color shifting issues, and other stuff. I saw this screen for a decent price.

hows the screen?

Basically it's really good, most people haven't had any major issues. Most people like it in general. Only real issues are the aggressive anti glare coating (shows up as a faint "sparkly" or grainy finish on white backgrounds, but you do get used to it) and as usual TN viewing angles aren't good, but these do have true 8 bit panels unlike virtually any other TN display out there.

any chance someone could summarize how the QA is on these? cant read 10 pages.

I'm trying to get a good web browsing and gaming monitor. I tired the acer IPS gsync and i liked it, but it had a lot of QA issues, color shifting issues, and other stuff. I saw this screen for a decent price.

hows the screen?
I love mine. Tried the Asus PG279Q but quickly returned it due to horrible BLB and screen uniformity. Top half of the screen was yellowish not white

My Dell arrived today :)

Just finished unpacking and some initial testing

+ very high build quality except flimsy buttons
- holy shit who puts this super aggressive matte coating on those displays
+1440p is nice improvement
+ pixel perfect
+ no fingerprints/dust/whatever else below coating
+ no banding
+/- TN viewing angles - after I've positioned in ergonomic position it's minimally visible on top of screen when i used full solid colour background (it really bothered me in notebooks which change position constantly but doesn't bother me on desktop)
+/- I think i'm seeing a moderate backlight bleed on bottom and a bit on top
- internal bezels are stupid gimmick
+ great brightness regulation
- changing from g-sync to ULMB mode is lot of pain
+ g-sync is truly working playing game fluctuating from 60 to 120 fps felt like nothing changed
++ ULMB wow this is amazing :) I've used blurbusters moving ufo test and difference to my MBPr screen in motion clarity is insane

So far my biggest problem is matte coating - white/yellow background in windows look like dust on screen but on the other hand when I started game I quickly forget it's there.

I'll try it for few days to decide if motion clarity/fluidity/resolution outweighs matte coating (and whatever else I can find as faults)

Hopefully over the weekend I'll have some time to run testing side by side vs my MVA 2760HS and post some pictures.

After awhile you will figure out which games you really care to have ULMB on for, and you can setup those specific games to turn ULMB on automatically in the NVIDIA control panel ("Monitor Technology" in Manage 3D settings).

I agree it is annoying when going back-and-forth trying the features out, but I only have a few games I care to use ULMB on nowadays.

I figured out that if i set ULMB mode in display OSD and then enable/disable g-sync in nvidia control panel then it is switching from g-sync to ULMB automatically but unfortunately that's accompanied by huge drop in brightness.

Would be great if monitor kept two brightness settings for those modes but oh well.

The Swift does that, though you can still tell when ULMB gets turned on as there still is a bit of a drop in overall brightness. A shame the Dell doesn't.

I turned off Monitor Deep Sleep under Others and the problem with waking up went away.

I love mine. Tried the Asus PG279Q but quickly returned it due to horrible BLB and screen uniformity. Top half of the screen was yellowish not white

Basically it's really good, most people haven't had any major issues. Most people like it in general. Only real issues are the aggressive anti glare coating (shows up as a faint "sparkly" or grainy finish on white backgrounds, but you do get used to it) and as usual TN viewing angles aren't good, but these do have true 8 bit panels unlike virtually any other TN display out there.

thanks fellas. got it shipped for $550

How did you get yours for $550 shipped?

$599 newegg -25amex offer -25 visa checkout should be here tomorrow

is there anything i should definitely do once i get it? any sort of settings / color files/etc?

Looks like the MS Canada deal on this monitor is over, was going to purchase this morning. I'll have to wait until tomorrow and pay slightly more from Dell's black friday sale. :(

$599 newegg -25amex offer -25 visa checkout should be here tomorrow

is there anything i should definitely do once i get it? any sort of settings / color files/etc?

I set my brightness to 20, left gamma alone in the monitor setting, turned off deep sleep
download the dell_s2716dg.icc file from tft central

In my nvidia control panel I set gamma to .80 and digital vibrance to 63%

This gave the panel outstanding colors for me.

Chase Freedom is offering 10% cashback for Amazon this quarter AFAIK
that makes it $540 on Amazon.

Looks like the MS Canada deal on this monitor is over, was going to purchase this morning. I'll have to wait until tomorrow and pay slightly more from Dell's black friday sale. :(

Shouldn't be. Speak to a representative and have them pricematch against the 13% cashback ebates.ca will be running tomorrow, and add on EDU discount if it's applicable to you.

Order placed for $686.18CAD shipped, not bad considering it's going for 699.99 plus taxes/fees. BUT it doesn't seem like the ebates referral worked, unless there's a huge delay in it showing up.... first time ebater.

Got a friends and family discount from my enterprise rep :D

Last edited:
Is anyone else getting eye strain at all from their Dell S2716DG? I have tried everything from lowering my brightness and lowering the blue value in the OSD but I am still noticing the eye strain after just a few minutes of use.

My Settings at the moment:

• Brightness/Contrast: 20 / 75
  • R: 98 G: 86 B: 70
  • No ICC profile (previously tried the TFT icc)

I know these screens use a W-LED backlight which is based on blue light and can lead to eye sensitivity issues for some peoples. Been using a 1080p TN based Asus VG278H 120Hz for years with no issues. Quite discouraged because I put together a brand new $$ top of the line rig to support this 1440p G-Sync display but I have to find a solution to this eye strain.

As I type this on my Dell I am only getting very minimal eye strain with the above settings. However by lowering the blue color down this much the screen appears overly yellow tinted all over and I am not sure I can get used to that much off-white tint. Not interested in f.lux app or wearing Gunnar type glasses.

Need to figure something out before my 30-day return policy expires on all my new PC parts. If I have to fall back to my 1080p display then I would be returning my new upgraded PC parts as well (since they are not needed for driving 1080p gaming).

:D Sure am hoping to stay with 1440p + G-Sync because I have been blown away so far by the detail and smoothness of gameplay.

I can't imagine it's blue light, since your VG278H was W-LED/Blue as well.

It shouldn't be PWM, because the S2716DG is flicker-free and lacks PWM at any brightness.

Try running at 120hz instead of 144hz for some time if you haven't already, see if that makes any difference for you. You can also try G-Sync on/off at both 120hz / 144hz to see if for some reason that is bothering you.

It's possible the AG coating is a bit more aggressive and that bothers you, but I'm not sure.

Back