Dell S2716DG, 27" 2560x1440 144hz 1ms "G-Sync Gen II", DP+HDMI

It does look exceptionally dark on the sides, but I don't think it would bug me too much unless I could actually notice it on regular content (gaming, movies, browsing etc.) What brightness setting was that?

It does look exceptionally dark on the sides, but I don't think it would bug me too much unless I could actually notice it on regular content (gaming, movies, browsing etc.) What brightness setting was that?

default brightness of 75%, which is too high. Screw it, I'm keeping the S2716DG. This is what I wanted originally, G Sync and no dead pixels or crap under the screen.

I think you're making a good choice. If there are no dead pixels and minimal BLB, it's about as much as you can ask for with today's product. Test for abnormal pixel inversion artifacts by watching lots of moving scenes with broad color ranges. Unigine valley is a good one for that. Make sure you don't get odd vertical lines appearing in places they shouldn't.

I can see what you mean but I think that is just regular TN gamma shift. What happens if you look at the yellowish areas head on. Do they go away?

mostly. I'm keeping it anyway, it's a sweet monitor and it's pixel perfect.

I've got one shipping to me this week. Going to set it up next to an XB270HU and decide.

Just ordered one from Best Buy... here's hoping!

edit: Cancelled that order and placed one through Amazon... their marketplace offerings have it for $100+ less than Best Buy and no tax as well..

Last edited:
I've got one shipping to me this week. Going to set it up next to an XB270HU and decide.

I ordered 4 XB270HUs, there was something wrong with all of them. 1 Dell ordered and it no flaws.

Just ordered one from Best Buy... here's hoping!

edit: Cancelled that order and placed one through Amazon... their marketplace offerings have it for $100+ less than Best Buy and no tax as well..

Careful ordering off Amazon right now. It is not sold by Amazon, but by 3rd parties on Amazon, all of which have terrible return policies (taking 15-30% restocking fees). Newegg now has it at $699, and Best Buy matches Newegg, and also has an extended holiday return period to Jan 15th 2016 (no restocking fees, too). I just spoke with Best Buy though, and they couldn't ship it for almost two weeks! So i'm holding out for now.

Careful ordering off Amazon right now. It is not sold by Amazon, but by 3rd parties on Amazon, all of which have terrible return policies (taking 15-30% restocking fees). Newegg now has it at $699, and Best Buy matches Newegg, and also has an extended holiday return period to Jan 15th 2016 (no restocking fees, too). I just spoke with Best Buy though, and they couldn't ship it for almost two weeks! So i'm holding out for now.

Well, I ate my own words. I just checked and Amazon actually got 3 in stock today. I just ordered mine off amazon as well!

Well, I ate my own words. I just checked and Amazon actually got 3 in stock today. I just ordered mine off amazon as well!

Yeah, you're right about those resellers.. I decided to order that last one that was from Amazon (they didn't have any stock when I ordered last night.) I figure if the first one I open has an issue, that one goes back to Amazon, and hopefully the second one is good. If the first one is good then I send the second back to Amazon unopened.

Can someone that has one tell me what the height is from the bottom of the stand to the top of the screen with it lowered all the way?

Edit: I found the measurement on Dell's site: 16.39 inches.

Last edited:
https://twitter.com/TFTCentral/status/662534180161658881

ag coating is the same as the PG278Q for anyone that wanted to know. how unfortunate.

An owner on overclock.net insists that the coating is nowhere near as bad as the Swift... so who knows. TFT had absolutely nothing bad to say about the Swift's coating back when they reviewed it so I take what they say about it with a grain (pun intended) of salt.

edit: from user traxtech on overclock:

I am 100% satisfied, which was never the case with my old PG278Q or the XB270HU for that matter.

Sure, IPS(XB270HU) has better colors.. but when you have that stupid glow in the corners that you notice every time you play something dark? (which i do ALOT of) it was a no brainer to return it. Why settle on a product you paid top dollar for if you aren't happy with the product.

Picture quality on the Dell is fantastic considering i haven't even calibrated it. Coating is nowhere near as strong as the Swift plus it comes with a HDMI port and even has speakers built into it (kind of a waste but eh) if you wanted that.

The stand is perfect, It is rock solid. Also love the fact the power on button is a nice not intrusive white color. OSD is simple enough to navigate and get you where you need to be.

Even tested a PS4 through the HDMI port and the quality isn't even half bad! I was expecting something way less than what i saw.

I am 100% satisfied with this monitor. I am extremely picky and hated the AG coating on the Swift, hated the inversion on the Swift, hated the IPS glow of the XB270HU, and hated the stand on the XB270HU.

I settled for the XB270H-G (1080P G SYNC) because of the dramas with 1440p/144hz/g-sync and wasn't going to go back since i've been burned twice. That was before purchasing this. Considering how many people are happy with the Dell, you can tell the QC is much better than Acer or Asus.

And i won't ever be buying from Acer/Asus in the monitor department until they get their act together, especially after the hoops i had to jump through in order to get a refund out of both companies and apparent lack of QC from BOTH companies.

Overall rating for the Dell 9/10. Misses out on the 10/10 because it isn't OLED

Granted it could be placebo effect or whatever. I'm not going to get my hopes up that the coating is different. I really just need that damned HDMI port lol..

Last edited:
I ordered one of these, after trying out a "certified refurb" PG278Q (panel was bad).

XB270HU being pulled from Amazon, kinda drove me away from that.

While it worked, and comparing to my Viewsonic MVAs, I felt like the PG278Q colors were a little cold out of the box, and AG coating was noticeable (esp. on white).

I'll report my thoughts on the Dell when I get it Monday.

I will have a Swift and the Dell at the same time. I will report back about the matte finish and how they compare.

Tempted to sell my U2715H and go for this one, same real estate but faster, might be a treat for Battlefront :)

I'm pretty happy with my S2716DG. I think it's a keeper. That being said, the BenQ 27 inch 1080p set was half price and nice in a lot of ways too. But I really wanted G sync and the S2716DG is really nice.

Well, got my Dell in today and I can say unequivocally this is the exact same panel as the Swift. AG coating is identical. Even the bezel design is practically identical (the side facing the user) with the "frameless" inner bezel design and a small bar along the bottom. However the back side of the monitor has a more subdued, smooth design (unlike the Swift's "stealth fighter" look) so it made access to the VESA mount I'm using much easier.

OSD controls are nowhere near as good as the Swift but that was expected because I knew the Dell would have the standard 4 button system on most recent Dell displays. It's functional, just not as slick and easy as the Swift's. Seriously once you've used the joystick-style control, anything else feels like ass.

Other than that, yeah.. I like it. No backlight bleed or dead pixels on the first pass which is nice to see. I'll be trying out a console on it in a moment just to see how it looks and how it interpolates 1080p through the HDMI port, but I'm happy with it so far.

Last edited:
Ouch, guess everyone who says the Dell's coating is lighter is just getting placebo effect

Yep. I went straight from the Swift to this in a matter of a few minutes so I can say with certainty it's the same. All I can say is I've gotten used to the harsh AG over the last year with the Swift so it doesn't really bug me any more (especially not while gaming) but it sure would have been nice to have Dell work with the panel manufacturer on improvement there.

7 more of these are in stock at Amazon. Mine will be here Wednesday :)

XB270HU brpz= IPS, G-sync, Matte, AG
XG270HU = TN, Freesync, Matte, AG

There is only one XB270HU.

Edit - Two XB's exist as per posts subsequent:

XB270HU abrpz = TN, G-sync, Matte, AG
XB270HU brpz= IPS, G-sync, Matte, AG

Last edited:
There are actually 2 versions of XB270HU (I originally also thought there was only 1 XB270HU)

A is the TN panel, B (which is the version the monitor model number came out with) is IPS.

I know because Taiwan also sells the A variant, and is 1440p 144hz with G-Sync and TN film, no other monitor in Acer's catalog fits that spec.

EDIT:

http://www.acer.com.tw/ac/zh/TW/content/models/monitors/xb0

From here you can see there are 2 XB270HU's, one under MM.T1CTT.001 which is definitely IPS, the other MM.T1CTT.002 is explicitly stated as TN.

Last edited:
There are actually 2 versions of XB270HU (I originally also thought there was only 1 XB270HU)

A is the TN panel, B (which is the version the monitor model number came out with) is IPS.

I know because Taiwan also sells the A variant, and is 1440p 144hz with G-Sync and TN film, no other monitor in Acer's catalog fits that spec.

EDIT:

http://www.acer.com.tw/ac/zh/TW/content/models/monitors/xb0

From here you can see there are 2 XB270HU's, one under MM.T1CTT.001 which is definitely IPS, the other MM.T1CTT.002 is explicitly stated as TN.
I own the TN XB270HU Abprz and the AG coating is not heavy at all.

25oz8mt.jpg

f53sih.jpg

macro picture of the screen displaying white, please. and have you actually compared it to the swift in person?

macro picture of the screen displaying white, please. and have you actually compared it to the swift in person?

I only have cellphones so I have no idea how to take a macro of the screen. I've seen the Swift up close and it reminded me of my old Dell U2711.

2i2bx9u.jpg

I'll try the macro shot now.

Last edited:
I apologize for the poor picture.

2zdzy9c.jpg

The AG coating really isn't bad. Way better then the Swift.

Got mine in and wall mounted.

This display definitely looks better than the Swift I received, quite a bit better uniformity.

Colors were more accurate out of the box, but deep reds still only look okay.

AG coating is close to the PG278Q. Noticeable on white, light grey and light blue, but not a deal breaker for me personally.

If you can't live with TN this won't change your mind.

I think it looks great so far.

I've been using it some more and got some time in with my Xbox One. It interpolates 1080p REALLY well, it *almost* looks native. I mean I can't even see the difference unless I'm really looking for it.

Other than that, yeah... I can't find anything to complain about so definitely going to keep it. Swift will be going for sale soon once I get some pics up.

Went ahead and ordered on a few minutes ago. Been trying to decide which monitor to pair up with my recent Skylake/980Ti build. I hope the colors will be better than my five year old Hanns-G 25 inch monitor.

Keep in mind, this monitor will be $650 on Black Friday. If you have a commercial account or your company buys a lot of stuff from Dell, see if you can get into the MPP page for early access (11/19) to the Black Friday deals.

Back