Dell S2716DG, 27" 2560x1440 144hz 1ms "G-Sync Gen II", DP+HDMI

You can remove the matte coat by removing the panel and placing wet paper towels for 6-8 hr on top. This will dissolve the adhesive and make the film easily peel off. Then just reinstall the now-glossy panel and go!

Not guaranteed and may destroy the monitor.

color accuracy isn't everything and those are default aka out of the box measurements, which are almost always fucking horrible. a modern calibrated tn will never be more accurate than a modern calibrated ips, nor will the color be as pleasing to the eye. so no, "the asus swift panel has better color than some ips displays" is complete horse shit. give me a break. this monitor should either be ips/va or less.

I've compared the Swift side by side to an older pro, calibrated 30" IPS Dell display and aside from the lack of wide gamut and worse viewing angles the Swift looked very much the same (with a great factory calibration too!).

It's a 8-bit TN panel so no dithering and the viewing angles are generally fine sideways (no color inversion etc) and acceptable vertically (no noticeable shifts unless you stand up or crouch). How many of you watch your display from the side constantly anyway?

The TN panels on the Swift and most likely the Dell are nothing like the crap you see on cheap laptops or monitors. I can't stand those but have no beef with my Swift. If I did it would've been sent back a year ago but nope, still on my desk and still as good as when I got it.

^^ agreed on the Swift panel. It blows away your average TN panel that exists. My only gripe was the matte coating was too grainy and it showed a lot of shimmer on heavily-white images. I never had an issue with viewing angles either while sitting at my desk, and not having IPS glow on the corners was a plus.

Another vote for the Swifts image quality. Its one of the best monitors I have looked at in a world of VA and IPS monitors. Only the viewing angles let it down for me.

um is there point of getting this monitor over Asus swift besides the warranty?

Last edited:
I have no idea what that means in relation to the Swift.. what's the technical spec for the Swift's AG?

I have no idea what that means in relation to the Swift.. what's the technical spec for the Swift's AG?

not sure about Asus Swift but maybe some of Dell U3415W owner's can tell us since it's got same specification for ag coating

I own a Benq XL2730z, a TN FreeSync monitor and my brother who owns the Acer XB270HU, an IPS Gsync monitor thought I was lying about my monitor being TN. The only thing that ruled it out later was the viewing angles compared to his but otherwise he thought it was the best TN monitor he ever witnessed. He thought the color reproduction was VERY similar to his IPS. I think most people today don't release that these are 8-bit TN's and not some crap like 10 years ago. Oh I almost forgot, the pixel response was noticibly better on my monitor...but that's a given when comparing TN>IPS. If you are gamer go for the high quality TN rather than IPS imo.

People don't realize that IPS isn't everything. Only wide viewing angles are guaranteed with an IPS panel.

The quality of the backlight used is just as important as the matrix technology.

I used to have an s27a950d tn monitor, and I'm quite sure it still blows all the budget 1080p ips panels out of the water. It actually had a pretty big gamut overcoverage, which is indicative of the good backlight/light filtering quality.

The 1440p TN panel is probably just as good.

I'm super curious about this panel.

It look like one of the borderless "neo-blade" LG panels. LG had announced last year that they were working on some 144hz gaming panels, I wonder if this is an LG instead of the AUOnoQC panels? Also, the 3H hardness AG coating sound intriguing, maybe it's less aggressive than that found on most 144hz TNs right now.

If this is an LG panel, with light AG coating and minimal pixel inversion problems I might just be switching to an Nvidia card this year.

:D

I'm super curious about this panel.

It look like one of the borderless "neo-blade" LG panels. LG had announced last year that they were working on some 144hz gaming panels, I wonder if this is an LG instead of the AUOnoQC panels? Also, the 3H hardness AG coating sound intriguing, maybe it's less aggressive than that found on most 144hz TNs right now.

If this is an LG panel, with light AG coating and minimal pixel inversion problems I might just be switching to an Nvidia card this year.

:D

It isn't only LG who do that sort of panel design though. I've seen VA panels with that as well.

After doing a bit of looking about the webs, it seems that the panel is likely an AUO... probably similar to the one used in Acer's XG270HU

not sure about Asus Swift but maybe some of Dell U3415W owner's can tell us since it's got same specification for ag coating

I recently sold my Dell u3415W. I think the Dell had 1 grade above semi glossy. The panel looked glossy when looked from the side but that is due to the curve. It is NOT grainy at all.

Although a specification has a range within itself so it might end up being a harder coating then the Dell U3415W. Look up a review about the Dell U3415W then you can see it for yourself (tftcentral).

3H is hardness and AFAIK all matte coatings are that. It does not tell you how grainy or thick a coating is. This will surely be similar to the PG278Q if it uses the same panel.

(Pencil) Hardness has nothing to do with matte-ness (Haze value % of surface microdefects).
Rigidity and scratch resistance of the coating is measured using a "pencil tester" in accordance with Korea Industrial Standard KS M ISO 15184.
Range from 1H to 6H (hardest)

Last edited:
Anyone got that Dell already ? I see them available in one shop and it's cheaper than Swift locally.

Ok wish me luck - I've preordered one.

Really nice pricing in Europe around 600 euro.
I've order at 2500PLN when original Swift is 2800+, XB270HU is 3200 (and impossible to buy due to no stock) and IPS Swift comes at 3600+

A guy on OCN just posted pics of his newly delivered S2716DG. Had crap trapped in the screen, like many other AUO panels.

I had an XL2730Z and returned it for horrid pixel inversion issues visible on all moving scenes. Frankly, I wouldn't buy another monitor that had an AUO panel in it. They simply don't give a shit.

A guy on OCN just posted pics of his newly delivered S2716DG. Had crap trapped in the screen, like many other AUO panels.

I had an XL2730Z and returned it for horrid pixel inversion issues visible on all moving scenes. Frankly, I wouldn't buy another monitor that had an AUO panel in it. They simply don't give a shit.

The problem is that nobody else is willing to give a shit and make us a high quality 1440p 144Hz panel. If LG or Samsung would get in on this it would be better for everyone.

The problem is that nobody else is willing to give a shit and make us a high quality 1440p 144Hz panel. If LG or Samsung would get in on this it would be better for everyone.

So true. I've been waiting for the Eizo offering, but I might throw in the towel and give up on 144hz for now. I almost bought an LG 27MB85R-B from newegg last month when they had 15% off of LG monitors. I'm kicking myself now... it would have been $460.

Pretty please LG, get us a 1440p panel like the 27MB85R-B with freesync, or gsync. 144hz would be nice too...

:/

Eizo uses same AUO panel as Acer and Asus.
It's possible for a company to use the same panel, but have tighter quality controls and reject bad panels. Or be getting the higher-grade panels from AUO directly.
I'm not saying that will be true in this case, but using the same panel does not mean that performance will be the same.

It's possible for a company to use the same panel, but have tighter quality controls and reject bad panels. Or be getting the higher-grade panels from AUO directly.
I'm not saying that will be true in this case, but using the same panel does not mean that performance will be the same.

FG2421 cured me from thinking that Eizo uses some super high quality standards for their gaming line ;)

FG2421 cured me from thinking that Eizo uses some super high quality standards for their gaming line ;)

Indeed. There's no magic bullet here.

We can only hope that LG or Samsung will use the opportunity to claim a bigger piece of the market by showing up AUO.

I'm not holding my breath though, as this market is a niche one at best. Additionally, many buyers seem completely content with the tech that AUO is putting out, even with the flaws. Just look at the Amazon and Newegg reviews with 4+ stars even though they had to return several times to get the right one :confused:

With the right marketing, you can sell shit to a dairy farmer.

Where ? I don't see anything on that picture ?

I'm still waiting for confirmation when they will ship mine.

What do you think of the AG coating?

I don't know yet, maybe that's why my screen is darker in the corners. It's not "that sparkly" though if that makes sense.

Honestly I'm just shocked to get 2 monitors in a row with no dead pixels or crap under the screen with my recent luck

Back