Dell S2716DG 144Hz 27.0" Monitor - $498.54

I almost bought that monitor last week when it was at $530. It keeps dropping, down to $492 now. I wonder how low it will go?

This seems like a pretty killer deal. Very tempted but I have just started the monitor search and this is too soon to jump on.

Killer deal on a great gaming monitor with a warranty from probably one of the best in the monitor industry. Anyone remotely interested in a G sync gaming monitor should be jumping on this, hard. I'm almost tempted to get one but then I remember I can't do anything with it because I already have a rog swift anyway.

I bought mine at 560 -- price fell to 530 (amazon credited me the difference) I doubt they will do it a 2nd time since I've had it about 2 weeks. I could be a supreme dick and just return it, and re buy it, but i really like this monitor, and also like amazon.

Great deal either way. Brightness/Contrast out of the box is a bit wack, didn't impress me at first. After adjusting everything and fixing gamma/saturation it's SCHMEXY

I bought mine at 560 -- price fell to 530 (amazon credited me the difference) I doubt they will do it a 2nd time since I've had it about 2 weeks. I could be a supreme dick and just return it, and re buy it, but i really like this monitor, and also like amazon.

Great deal either way. Brightness/Contrast out of the box is a bit wack, didn't impress me at first. After adjusting everything and fixing gamma/saturation it's SCHMEXY
How did you calibrate it?

And what settinga? I have the same monitor. It does have that pixel issue where you see lines sometimes during fast movement on light scenes. Also, I stopped getting the power saving mode issue that people have while using display port. Super sexy

Well I returned 3 of them. They are shitty TN panels which are outdated. G-sync is good I did enjoy that. The AG gave me headaches it's horrible. There are very common pressure marks on these panels. So don't think for a minute these are going to blow everything out there away. TN really needs to be left in the past cause brighter doesn't mean better color.

900x900px-LL-98679c37_IMG_20160305_130348386.jpeg

I agree, tried them too. construction was very good, as was most things, but the (what i assume is) TN shit... didn't last a day in my house. color shift when you're looking DIRECTLY at it 100%. unacceptable

I've got one and it looks just fine. Then, I go to my wife's NEC 302W and it makes every other monitor look like total shit.

I agree, tried them too. construction was very good, as was most things, but the (what i assume is) TN shit... didn't last a day in my house. color shift when you're looking DIRECTLY at it 100%. unacceptable

sorry you got a bad one -- I've been testing mine out the past week or so and haven't had any of that. Out of the box calibration didn't blow me away, but after a few tweaks it looks fantastic .

I went with the dell because of quality construction and not having to play panel lottery with Acer/Asus for their predator line. When they are asking you to pay 600-800 dollars and you get a fucked up monitor with tons of bleed and IPS glow... glad I went with the dell. :)

Loving mine so far -- so smooth and sexy.

sorry you got a bad one -- I've been testing mine out the past week or so and haven't had any of that. Out of the box calibration didn't blow me away, but after a few tweaks it looks fantastic .

I went with the dell because of quality construction and not having to play panel lottery with Acer/Asus for their predator line. When they are asking you to pay 600-800 dollars and you get a fucked up monitor with tons of bleed and IPS glow... glad I went with the dell. :)

Loving mine so far -- so smooth and sexy.

Don't think its that i got a bad one. i think its a characteristic of the screen. color is different even if you're dead center. Never heard of anyone having a dramatic color shift as bad QC, just as a bad panel.

im glad you like yours, for $500 its quite a deal if it looks good.

TN is what it is. That being said, this is a full 8 bit panel. This isn't like other gaming TN panels. It generally looks quite good. Yes, the color shift is there (though I must say I never notice it on mine when looking dead on.. I don't know how you people are doing this) but in exchange you get faster responses time than the IPS (Acer) side of things, and generally better gaming experience. This is pretty much the best tech currently out for simply gaming.

TN is what it is. That being said, this is a full 8 bit panel. This isn't like other gaming TN panels. It generally looks quite good. Yes, the color shift is there (though I must say I never notice it on mine when looking dead on.. I don't know how you people are doing this) but in exchange you get faster responses time than the IPS (Acer) side of things, and generally better gaming experience. This is pretty much the best tech currently out for simply gaming.

Agreed -- if I roll around in my chair or get up to get something, will I notice the color shift then? Sure. But if you have the monitor pointed directly at you (no tilting upwards/downwards like many love to do) I notice no color shifting either. And that's with me testing with full panel red/green/blue test images.

I really wanted one of those Acer/Asus Predator monitors, the specs look exactly like what I wanted, but after seeing the mountains of problems of quality control, I didn't. Maybe on the 5th RMA or exchange I might have gotten a good panel, but it's not worth the time or hassle.

I was even skeptical of the dell version of anti-glare, I had an ultrasharp 10 years ago that had a pretty bad AG coating. For being matte -- i don't see any "sparkles" or negative effect of their AG coating on the S2716DG.

I could notice the shift when I had a PG278Q, but it wasn't that annoying to me. I was more annoyed with the heavy AG coating than anything. Colors were fantastic for a TN panel though.

Well I returned 3 of them. They are shitty TN panels which are outdated. G-sync is good I did enjoy that. The AG gave me headaches it's horrible. There are very common pressure marks on these panels. So don't think for a minute these are going to blow everything out there away. TN really needs to be left in the past cause brighter doesn't mean better color.

Best gtg time for an IPS panel is 5ms (4 for some e-IPS panels, or so I hear, but I think you'd have to pay out the nose for that), but I (and most serious FPS players) won't settle for anything more than 2ms, and really will only do 1ms, because there's no reason not to. Input lag times are better on TN if I remember correctly, as well. I don't give a damn if it looks pretty - for us, it needs to function. And yes, I can tell the difference between 1ms and 5ms, easily.

Best gtg time for an IPS panel is 5ms (4 for some e-IPS panels, or so I hear, but I think you'd have to pay out the nose for that), but I (and most serious FPS players) won't settle for anything more than 2ms, and really will only do 1ms, because there's no reason not to. Input lag times are better on TN if I remember correctly, as well. I don't give a damn if it looks pretty - for us, it needs to function. And yes, I can tell the difference between 1ms and 5ms, easily.

Actually according to this review An IPS Panel(Acer XB270HU) with G-sync ON beats the S2716DG in Ghosting/Smear Test.
Dell S2716DG G-SYNC Gaming Monitor Review - Page 3

You won't regret it if you are willing to play roulette with the IPS Acer, and show patience if you need to return/exchange until you find a good one. I had to send back my first but the replacement was nearly flawless, and well worth the hassle. I would imagine by now the newer revisions have better QC as well..

Actually according to this review An IPS Panel(Acer XB270HU) with G-sync ON beats the S2716DG in Ghosting/Smear Test.
no it doesn't. not physically possible (yet). what is shown in that image is overshoot from the aggressive overdrive. it's very obviously more clear than the acer. what's actually pretty interesting in that image though, is how little blur there is with the XR3501.

Last edited:

Yeah some of these people are just cry babies with the color shifting. How much are you possibly moving around while gaming? My head barely moves when I play and even while just normal web surfing I dont notice it and I clearly dont sit still at that time.

...and the guy that bought 3 of these "shitty" TN panels and then calling them outdated....you knew that prior to buying them LOL

Yeah some of these people are just cry babies with the color shifting. How much are you possibly moving around while gaming? My head barely moves when I play and even while just normal web surfing I dont notice it and I clearly dont sit still at that time.

...and the guy that bought 3 of these "shitty" TN panels and then calling them outdated....you knew that prior to buying them LOL

One monitor for gaming, the other one for productivity.

I'm still a bit frustrated -- I bought this a few weeks ago for $530 -- happy with the price, 500 is even better for anyone interested. But I have had my eye on the U2715H as an IPS 2nd screen if I want to watch a movie or something like that. The price of that damn thing is still sitting only $20 less than this on amazon.

It's not Gsync, only 60hz, just a fairly regular 1440p 60hz IPS. Historically it's gone down to high 300s -- so I'm playing the waiting game. I always run two monitors but i'm just trying to wait for the best deal on the product I really want. Just really weird that the 27" companion IPS dell I want for my sweet ass S2716DG is the same price as the S2716DG!

I decided to get one of these after 3 broken XB271HU and the fourth one had a massive back light bleed on one corner and the Horrendous IPS glow... ohh god...
Well I previously owned an Acer XB280 4k TN G-sync so I can live with the color shift and viewing angles of a TN panel. Lets hope the open-box S2716DG that I purchased from fleabay for $417.00 shipped is in good shape :cool:

Picked up one of these at Frys today. They price matched the $489.99 from Amazon. Loaded up the TFTcentral icc file for calibration. Awesome monitor so far.

I have one of these and it's a fantastic gaming display. If you don't mind dealing with rebates I wanted to point out that Newegg has this for $469.99 AR at the moment.

I got one of these off amazon last week, at this price. I was seriously worried about the AG coating more than anything, but I find it to be imperceptible, and much preferred to the full gloss screen IPS I have at work. No stuck pixels or dead pixels. While I know that BLB isn't typically an issue for TN panels, I looked for that as well. I could just barely perceive a bit of glow around the Dell in the bottom center, when viewed at maximum brightness in a pitch black room. Otherwise it was invisible.

I followed the advice of the lead positive reviewer of the monitor, and after using his settings I am blown away. Those settings btw appear to be ripped directly from TFT centrals review of the panel. That is some spot on calibration. The colors are really vibrant, and the blacks are so much darker than my old monitor. Admittedly, I am coming from an old low-end ASUS (ML238H), which is a decent monitor at it's price point, but it's not high end.

G-Sync is a fantastic feature. Previously I was playing through Borderlands the pre-sequel, and I kept getting a bit of motion sickness after longer play sessions or when the screen would shake from big explosions. I assumed it was because the frame rate was too low (only rocking a 760GTX at the moment), but after I got my monitor and enabled G-sync and FRAPS, I was surprised to find it was because my frame rate was too high (90 fps). It would seem that ultra-high frame rates on a low Hz monitor is a cause of the occasional motion sickness I get from FPS. This is a really cool discovery for me, and a real +1 for having bought this monitor.

Plus, 90fps G-sync'd is unbelievably smooth. Everything just seems so liquid and flowy, even the corny special effects in Borderlands really take on new life when every frame is perfectly displayed. I found it actually increased my immersion in the game. G-Sync is worth the premium, IMO.

The viewing angle is easily TN's achilles heal, but the angle on this panel is significantly improved over my old one, I have to move myself pretty far off center to notice color change, and mostly that only occurs on a black screen. On a screen full of bright colors and/or moving images, I can't notice it.

Like others on here, I had eyeballed the Acer and ASUS $800 monitors, but I didn't feel like playing the lottery either, not at those prices. I feel fairly confident that this monitor will carry me wonderfully until the matured-tech 4k OLED monitor era, and I didn't have to play the exchange game to get a decent panel.

Now if that MSI golden edition 980Ti would just get here (checks tracking number for the 3rd time this evening). XD

One thing though, is that 144hz refresh isn't an option in in my nvidia control panel, despite having installed drivers specific to this monitor. Only 120Hz. I'm not sure if that is a limitation of my card, or I need to enable a setting somewhere.

just ordered one, time to finally retire my dell 24", is there a link the best calibration settings?
Thanks

I had one of these for a few months and I had to send it back due to "Deep Sleep" issues. Once the monitor was turned off or would go to sleep, it wouldn't turn back on. I will also agree with the headache part, it is crazy bright for anyone with bright light sensitivity.

Yea, all the color profile settings that I have seen have the brightness down to about 26%. 100% brightness is ridiculous, and is partly why the colors come across as washed out when you first turn it on, IMO.

Ninja edit: Also, I disabled deep sleep, not really sure what the point of that feature is, but when I have both monitors running and they sleep, the Dell won't wake up.

Yea, all the color profile settings that I have seen have the brightness down to about 26%. 100% brightness is ridiculous, and is partly why the colors come across as washed out when you first turn it on, IMO.

Ninja edit: Also, I disabled deep sleep, not really sure what the point of that feature is, but when I have both monitors running and they sleep, the Dell won't wake up.
I turned that off too, first thing

Back