Dell’s UltraSharp 2005FPW widescreen 20-inch LCD monitor.

I ordered 3 of these for work (no, I don't get one... :( ) and after setting them up, wow! I'm impressed - I can see what all the fuss is about. Got a great price through our Dell account too.

Most everyone in the office uses either a Latitude D800 or D810 with the 15.4" WUXGA screen, and we've added these 2005FPW's for a couple users that finally got around to admitting that thier eyes are "getting old" and need something a little bigger to read.

Everyone is happy - this is really a great monitor.

Peace,
Tim

somecallmeTim said:
I ordered 3 of these for work (no, I don't get one... :( ) and after setting them up, wow! I'm impressed - I can see what all the fuss is about. Got a great price through our Dell account too.

Peace,
Tim

How much of a discount did you get? I got a pretty nice deal on mine last night.

$485.22 shipped.

six_storm said:
How much of a discount did you get? I got a pretty nice deal on mine last night.

$485.22 shipped.

how did you get $485 shipped? is there a coupon i am missing right now or something, i can only seem to get about $560 or so with SMB discounts

six_storm said:

$485.22 shipped.

Not quite that good... $515 shipped each, Dell treats their business / premier accounts pretty well - we had $1,000 off the D810's I ordered yesterday for work (6 of them). I send in an RFQ, our rept sendd back a quote, I order. Slowly moving into the "hardware" guy postion at work that doesn't exist "yet" ;).

somecallmeTim said:
Not quite that good... $515 shipped each, Dell treats their business / premier accounts pretty well - we had $1,000 off the D810's I ordered yesterday for work (6 of them). I send in an RFQ, our rept sendd back a quote, I order. Slowly moving into the "hardware" guy postion at work that doesn't exist "yet" ;).

Hmmmm. I told them that I was starting a small PC repair business in the local area and they took the bait. Not that I'm lying, but I over exaggerated on it being a "small business". I do repair computers though lol.

I got mine on saturday and I have to say it's amazing. The colours are so much better than on my Samsung 172x. Games look amazing - especially Counterstrike: Source etc.

I do have some backlight issues, but after taking a picture of the monitor (in darkness) it doesn't seem *too* bad.

Here (click on image to enlarge);

is $395 a good deal for the 2005fpw? they have the deal that expires 2day and i just found out about it. at least now ill know 4 later...

i read some stuff and i guess 395 is a really good deal. ill try 2 pick it up since the gateway is a little 2 much :( i hope the dell is gooood

ampedxc27 said:
greeaattt it just expired this morning... ugh i hope this deal comes back soon

Are you talking about the stackable coupons for 35% and $60 off the 2005fpw?

Cuz the coupons still work for me here at 2:31am 10/19. . . .

EDIT: Confirmed - I just ordered the 2005fpw for the $394.

i have also ordered it at 394 today at around 7 pm i think. Although tax bumped me up to 420 somethen i cant wait to get it.

Skarekr0w said:
You can buy these all day long on ebay for under 400, anybody had any experience with these?

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Dell-2005FP...710409113QQcategoryZ86706QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

No experience, but I would sure avoid something like that since it's $470 on ebay (shipping is $80!) and about $420 from Dell (through today). If something is wrong with the one off ebay, I would think you have a LOT less recourse than you would through Dell.

At least that was my thought process as I ordered mine from Dell yesterday.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
just got mine in today and i must say im loven it although i need to get used to the smaller font but no big deal. Also good no dead pixels and it arrived a couple days earlier. I have only played counter strike condition zero with the monitor so far for a round so i didnt get a chance to check for ghosting or th elike but from what i played it looked very nice

My monitor got to my door in less, yes LESS than 24 hours on the standard cheapest delivery. I was amazed, to say the least.

I've got zero dead pixels and I'm not sure if the backlight bleeding level is normal or not. I've got some, but nothing excessive.

Gaming on this is exquisite. Quake 4, HL2, UT2004 are all gorgeous on this. I was worried about it being small after I saw it next to 2405's in so many pictures. This thing is huge in it's own right - no worries!

Here is my new 2005FPW, got it last Thursday and I love it!
2005FPW.JPG

barefootbilly do a search there was a thread that in here about the montior arm many of the guys were buying for it. Not sure which arm it was now.

Goodness.JPG

My Hitachi 19" Superscan elite 751 vs My Brandnew Dell 2005fpw!
Gracious.JPG

:cool:
greatballs.JPG

No bleeding! The whiteness is the light seeping through my blinds.

:D

my schools received a bunch of 2005s for the TV studio, and they all suffer from pretty bad backlight bleeding.

is this still normal on most?? the 20"s are nice and big and at an attractive price, but their quality seems to be too low to justify the price :(

It isn't normal for the newer revision. Mine was made in september 05 Rev A02.

I think after all those RMAs that they would fix it. Mine is perfect.

Wow! I just bought a new 2005FPW. It probably has the worst bleeding from backlighting I could ever imaging a monitor having (not to mention ghosting--which I can forgive for the price but)---this monitor is unusable and going BACK TO DELL!

Wieland said:
Wow! I just bought a new 2005FPW. It probably has the worst bleeding from backlighting I could ever imaging a monitor having (not to mention ghosting--which I can forgive for the price but)---this monitor is unusable and going BACK TO DELL!
thats why i cant justify buying one of these... theyre just luck of the draw. :(

any idea if dells releasing new models/majorly updated revisions for the 20" market? i cant really spend any more than what a 20" at a discount costs....

i suppose i could just continuely RMA it... can you guys stand behind Dells RMA policy? if i have any trouble theyll take it back, no questions asked, and no additional costs to me? and those who have experience w/ this: how long does each 'step' in the RMA process last?

Yeah, I'm doing 1 exchange. If this doesn't work, I'll return both. The tech representative, "Mike," (in India) told me that Dell tests everything and assured me that the next one would be ok. How does he know? The monitor is assembled in Mexico. He "trusts Dell." Great... I'll let you know how this one works.

p.s. I think you can keep exchanging for as long as it takes. They don't ask questions.

People still complaing about "backlight bleeding"? Enough already, you're making a big deal out of nothing. I have one of the original November 2004 models when "the worst backlighting" existed and I love the damn thing to death. You don't sit around staring at a black screen so quit your crying already.

^^^ Thats a fairly ignorant post. People do things on their computer that require acceptable color accuracy and black levels.

Having said that my parents have one with major bleeding from the left bottom corner. I could have exchanged it for them, but its too much of a hassle for something that is very insignificant for what they do on the computer.

I missed out on the $400 deal for this monitor and I feel like kicking myself in the teeth. Is there any chance that the rebates may return? I would buy one from ebay or something, but i'd probably be screwed if I got bad bleeding or anything on it. I wouldn't mind waiting for the new models to be released either if it meant a good price drop, but down to $400 again? Meh.

I'd like a nice LCD at 1600 x 1200 for gaming, and was hoping to find a good deal on a 2005FPW, but it doesn't look likely now.

It goes on sale about every month it seems. Keep your foot away from teeth. Jump on it next month :D

Actually, I'm an entertainment media student. I really DO need accurate coloration, including true blacks, etc. If I just bought this for the sheer sake of having a big screen, it would have been an entirely different matter.

Funny, they accidently sent me a used one. Now I'm exchanging the used one for a new one again.

Just got mine and built my new system :D
Crazy%20Desk%20(1).jpg

I heard that Dell isnt going to have coupons as often as they used to. Got mine for $465 shipped on ebay. Recently it has been easier to get one from ebay than to wait for coupons.

Wieland said:
p.s. I think you can keep exchanging for as long as it takes. They don't ask questions.

this might have changed

i spent 2 hours on the phone with india yesturday justifying they replace my 2005FPW because aparently they're new policy is to provide one no-hastle replacement and thats it, and i was trying to replace my second 2005FPW.

if this 3ed LCD they send me has the same problems i'm just going to return it and get the gateway monitor from best buy, much easier to exchange since you can drive right down there.

has anyone tried hooking up the xbox360 to this monitor thru the ms vga hd cable and how does it look? im thinking of buying the cable for the same monitor i seen the thread for the 24" and it looks pretty good.

Wieland said:
Actually, I'm an entertainment media student. I really DO need accurate coloration, including true blacks, etc. .

Don't get any of the faster TN panels....while perfect to me, they DO NOT display true black....impossible....get yourself a good CRT :p

That being said, I won't get anything but LCD nowadays....

You know I bought a 2005fpw had major bleeding so I sent it back and getting a new one. Today I went to a local computer show and a vendor was selling 2005fpw's for $430. The three they had on display were perfect!! (and strangely enough the same rev/version of mine) no bleeding or anything. I didn't buy one because I said to myself "I'm sure the next one I get will be fine" Now I'm kicking myself because I should have just bought one of the perfect ones and sent the new one coming in from dell back for a refund :(

Back