Dell’s UltraSharp 2005FPW widescreen 20-inch LCD monitor.

TESLA said:
My 2005FPW came in the mail today.

I hooked it up and...

NO dead pixels
NO backlight bleeding
NO scan lines

:D

Either I am one lucky man to get a perfect monitor on the first try or their new batch got better.

My screen is a July 2005 model.

I had the same thing ... then after 10 days ... bang

Anyone know if DHL delivers on Saturdays

takimbe said:
jesus i have never seen a thread get so huge!!! anyways, despite all its problems, im thinking about taking a risk and ordering one soon. i looked on ebay and found this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Dell-2005FPW-20...itemZ5230113634QQcategoryZ86706QQcmdZViewItem

if you look at the screens on the bottom youll notice there is a small bruise on the top middle section of the screen. thing is, its a great price! what do you guys think? would you buy it if you were in my position? let me know!

Hell no. Save up another $100 and get it from Dell when the coupons are offered again.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I would never get an LCD used.

I hope no problems appear anytime soon but we will see.

I just checked the xfire site; it does not have scan lines.

When I called up they said my LCD was at the end of the last production run...

They may have gotten better because so far, so good.

EDIT: My video cards: x800XL, 9700Pro

minea rrived - and i live in Costa Rica

not ONe issue - i cant tell if i have backlight issues, or it is the light reflecting as diff angels it goes away and during the day time i dont see any bleeding.

I just got the one i ordered like July 21st today, so don't be so antsy, it might take awhile. In other news, I have backlight bleeding so I am definitely calling them tommorow morning to have another sent out.

i had some backlight bleeding when i bought mine in june. but after burning it in a few days, the bleeding went away, and saved me the hassle of sending it back and another long wait.

i was gonna post and ask about dells shipping times. I ordered one on the 16th, and was actually optimistic that i may get it this week. guess not huh?

oh well i managed to talk em down to 464$ with free 2 day shipping. heres hoping i dont have backlight issues.

ericlikeseatin said:
i had some backlight bleeding when i bought mine in june. but after burning it in a few days, the bleeding went away, and saved me the hassle of sending it back and another long wait.

Yeah, that is really weird, I woke up this morning and my backlight bleeding is gone :confused: :confused: , whatever works haha :D

ericlikeseatin said:
i think you'll be fine. you might have to scale down a little but the 2005fpw scales real nice.

Im noticing this too. 1024*768 and anything up shows practically no quality loss. Below that there is some noticeable...but then again thats alot of stretching.

JayD said:
How long did it take to get that much of a noticeable difference? The difference in the pics is amazing. I tried massaging for 30 seconds every few minutes for a good 2 hours and I haven't noticed much of a difference. Any suggestions?

Sorry, forgot to check back in this topic. Basically, any time I put pressure on the screen it effects the amount of leakage. So I just pushed the towel around, feeling it out and checking the difference it made regularly. I could easily see a change every time, if you're not seeing any movement of light immediately then your screen probably has a different problem than mine.

The only problem with this is, when I have to clean something off the screen I end up causing a bunch of light leakage. Easily fixed in under 5 minutes, but slightly annoying.

As for never getting truly black blacks because I'm just spreading the light around, I was under the impression that this monitor wasn't really capable of true black anyway. Even before I touched the screen nothing was really deep black. The important thing to me is to have a consistent amount of light/dark.

MuFu said:
Hey guys,

Thought I'd post my experience since this thread was an invaluable resource when I was first considering a purchase. My 2005FPW was an April 2005 A01 UK, it had 3 stuck (green) pixels and looked like this:

image0305jp.jpg

(pic has been adjusted)

Pretty average backlight problems AFAICT, but it went back since I watch a lot of films in the dark and for that purpose it was shocking. Massaging the screen actually made it worse, but unlike zig I applied pressure to bits that weren't bleeding - perhaps that was a mistake.

Apart from that I was stunned - an absolutely gorgeous monitor in every way. The off-axis peachiness is a weird quirk that seems to affect a lot of SIPS panels but it's no big deal unless you're a screen sniffer. My second 2005FPW is on its way.

...well, it tooking fucking ages to arrive but it looks like it was worth the wait.

A02
August 2005
1 dead pixel
No backlight bleed - none, nada, zippo, zilch. :)

all these problems scare me just cancelled order for 2005fpw gonna wait for the 2405fpw sale or a new revsion of the 2005fpw to hit

does any owner of the 2005fpw think its small. The more i got used to this monitor the smaller it looks. It doesnt seem to hold as many windows or icons like the first time i had it.

Anyone know how big the PIP box is, and the resolution that it has. Someone mentioned playing their Xbox on the PIP box as being a better alternative, and that sounds like a good idea given that its not incredibly small.

laserlights2000 said:
Anyone know how big the PIP box is, and the resolution that it has. Someone mentioned playing their Xbox on the PIP box as being a better alternative, and that sounds like a good idea given that its not incredibly small.

It has three adjustable sizes, and you can control where it starts.

just bought one of these bad boys for 499 from dell. now the waiting period starts. How many of you use it rotated veritcally? it seems like an interesting option. Sorry if this has already been talked about dont have the time to wade through 100 pages of posts.

daisaw1219 said:
does any owner of the 2005fpw think its small. The more i got used to this monitor the smaller it looks. It doesnt seem to hold as many windows or icons like the first time i had it.

Exactly! Now I dream with a 30-in apple cinema display on my desk~~~
And every time I go to the Apple store or MicroCenter, I make the same dream~~~

RHollister,

How did you get the monitor for 499?. i am really interested in getting this monitor. but im waiting for one of the new codes to come out.

Thanks,

Robert

just ordered the monitor

got it for 499 + tax and free shipping

my coupon expires tomorrow so use it now

# $60 off $500 Electronics and Accessories 5Z5WPTNN385Z3Q [Exp 9/8, 7k]

Just got my monitor in yesterday as well, I did adjust the brightness. But just so u know it all has to be done in the nVidia (or ATI) driver settings. All controls are software based if you are using DVI. No dead pixels. Some light leakage, but I am hoping that goes away over time, not that you can notice unless you go looking for it. Extremely satisfied. turning the monitor vertically got alot of "awesomes" and i think is rather useful.

"RHollister,

How did you get the monitor for 499?. i am really interested in getting this monitor. but im waiting for one of the new codes to come out.

Thanks,

Robert"

Brando explained correctly, I used the same coupon brought it down to 499 and I had to pounce.

RHollister said:
Just got my monitor in yesterday as well, I did adjust the brightness. But just so u know it all has to be done in the nVidia (or ATI) driver settings. All controls are software based if you are using DVI. No dead pixels. Some light leakage, but I am hoping that goes away over time, not that you can notice unless you go looking for it. Extremely satisfied. turning the monitor vertically got alot of "awesomes" and i think is rather useful.

"RHollister,

Thanks,

Robert"

keke now i just need it to come in :). I signed up for the DELL Financing so they want me to pay about $15 a month until 2007. I figure Ill pay $150 my fire month, then after about $50 per month after this way its paid off in plenty of time.

I can't wait to see how HL2, AOE3, AOE2, CSS and others look on it!

Brando explained correctly, I used the same coupon brought it down to 499 and I had to pounce

Sasuke808 said:
just got this moniter and I was wondering if there is any way to lower the brightness level?

On the display itself, push the minus sign ' - ' button and a Brightness / Contrast OSD window will appear. From there you select the brightness and turn it down.

In addition to that, you can do it through software like the others said.

mine came in friday.
only 2 dead pixels that i can even notice and perfect backlighting.
looks so bitching, im loving it.

dont know how to find out though when it was made or anything....
go dell canada.

so my monitor has no dead pixels thank god and minimal backlight leak not very noticeable at all unless i stare for it.

My friend said i need to install a driver off the dell cd, but there is no driver on there. After looking all over the cd.

Also what is a good adjustment to set the brightnerss to

and also how well do the usb ports on the side and i put my hand on top of the monitor and it felt kinda warm.

I just got a 2005FPW and I love it so far.

I've looked into how to hook up my consoles (Xbox, PS2 and Cube) to it and was directed to a component to VGA box (VD-Z3) which would do the trick.

My question is this: Will I be able to play games at 720p on the 2005FPW? How will the image quality fair.. because as I understand it 720p = 1280x720, which is not the native res of the monitor.

Hi,

I finally got my 2005FPW ! Yeaaah :D *happy*

But I have a small problem. I can rotate the monitor 90 degrees and normally it should rotate the resolution aswell.. but it doesn't.

I know you are supposed to install some driver but I'm on a 12" Powerbook and have no idea what to do.

How do I make this work? thanks
L

Back