Dell’s UltraSharp 2005FPW widescreen 20-inch LCD monitor.

$649 after coupon. Delivered about an hour ago. WOW :) ... widescreen looks really nice. It's approximatly the same height as my 19" Planar LCD but 2" wider. It's text is very crisp & clear at native resolution. I was worried that my old eye's would have problems reading the reduced type size but so far so good. Ran a quick check with nokias monitor test. Couldn't find any dead pixels or sub-pixels but will be watching close for a few days. The ability to rotate the display vertically is nice. So far I'm very impressed & can see how a 23" would really be something ... but not for about $1000 more :).

sMiLeYz, TechBlaster : congrats on your displays:)

Any pics? esp with some desktop / FPS action would be most appreciated! :D

I just recieved my 2005 fpw this morning (damn DHL guy took forever) :p

But I have to agree, it is truely a beautiful monitor. I'd recommend one to anyone. If you want the next resolution up,,, go waste 1k on it. Personally that 1k could be well spent elsewhere.

schirpich said:
I just recieved my 2005 fpw this morning (damn DHL guy took forever) :p

But I have to agree, it is truely a beautiful monitor. I'd recommend one to anyone. If you want the next resolution up,,, go waste 1k on it. Personally that 1k could be well spent elsewhere.

You mean like an Eizo?

Hi,

I'm new here. I just received my 2005fpw. I had a 19" P991 dell trinitron before. It was starting to flicker and definetly had the screen door effect. Anyway, this screen is awesome. I think I made the right choice. I did have two dead sub pixels together in the lower right-hand corner, but It's not a big deal. You can barely seem them unless your looking for them and there stuck in black. Other than that it's a beautiful monitor. I used the monitor calibration tool at Monitors direct to check everything out and it was flawless with the exception of those dead sub pixels in the lower right-hand corner. I'd defintely recommend this monitor.

Any games support its native resolution?

How does it look when scaling down to lesser resolutions?

I'll try to get some pics soon, but I've been playing a lot of bf1942 and all scaled down resolutions look great. I'm using the DVI cable with it.

Wassup said:
I'll try to get some pics soon, but I've been playing a lot of bf1942 and all scaled down resolutions look great. I'm using the DVI cable with it.

Wassup, I'm running DVI with this monitor off of my 6800GT. With your setup & DVI input does the 'contrast' control on your 2005fpw work? Most of the adjustment conrols on my monitor are grey'd out but on my old Planar the brightness & contrast controls still worked. On this 2005fpw only the brightness is active, no contrast. Also the brightness adjustment doesn't appear to do much of anything. Does your's work the same way ?

I haven't tried the analog input yet but suspect all would be active & working when using that.

Yeah, exactly the same techblaster. I think the DVI/9800xt does auto adjusting to give it's version of the best picture.

I suspected this was just the way the Dell monitor functioned. The one thing that will take getting used to is the brightness of this display. With a lot of white on the screen its really boardering on blinding. I'd like it better if the brightness & contrast controls were active & gave a good range of adjustments.

The controls probably all come into play when running of analog instead of DVI inputs. I'm going to try that tonight just for a comparison although I can't believe that the screen will be near as sharp running analog vs digital inputs.

Thanks for your reponse :)

Is there any way to attach a pic without uploading it somewhere & referencing it thru "IMG /IMG" ?

TechBlaster said:
It's text is very crisp & clear at native resolution.

first of all: congrats on your monitor, hope you'll have a lot of fun with it!

could you post some of your personal opinion on non-native resolutions as well? what do these look like on the 2005FPW? i am really considering getting one of these but am a bit scared i cannot really run lots of games at native res (and interpolated resolutions may look shitty)...

firey-eyez said:
errm WoW supports 1680x1050? if it does that just kicked up the likelyhood of me buying it (the screen) by around 50% -_-

WoW supports 1680X1050 as does HL2

Let me say HL2 is perfect on this monitor...looks awesome..

I'm just waiting for the next coupon to get a 2nd and perhaps a 3rd.

I'll ding it for one thing...I liked the large open cable management loop on the 2001FP vs the hard rubber sorta closed cable management on the 2005FPW

But thats a tiny thing and some people may perfer the hard rubber

Also the PIP features are very cool...you can do much more with it than you could the old 2001FP

You can have shruken screens of an svideo source (xbox) and your PC screen right next to eachother.. it scales them to fit.. its pretty cool actually.

Too bad they didnt spring the extra $100 or so and put in a component input and HD support.. then it would be perfect.

Yeah and too bad they didn't hire a new designer. :)

I wonder when it'll be out in Europe and what the price will be, it should make a good gaming monitor. :p

Has anyone taken any pics of this moniter yet? Is there any ghosting, or blurring? Since i won the delelf game thing and i can get it for $600. Do you think I should?

I meant who really makes this monitor? Dell usually just slaps their logo on stuff and maybe changes a few things to save money. I do not like buying stuff from Dell, Compaq, Gateway, etc. (you get the picture)

Why would you want a smaller resoultion unless you're watching movies all the time? Isn't the 2001fp more suitable for web browsing/gaming?

TechBlaster said:
With your setup & DVI input does the 'contrast' control on your 2005fpw work? Most of the adjustment conrols on my monitor are grey'd out but on my old Planar the brightness & contrast controls still worked. On this 2005fpw only the brightness is active, no contrast. Also the brightness adjustment doesn't appear to do much of anything. Does your's work the same way ?

I had the same issue on my 2001FP. Fine during the daytime but way too bright if the light conditions in my room were in any way low. Here's what I did:

Go to the color settings.
- In the daytime I use the "Normal preset" and use the brightness setting as a minor adjustment as I see fit.
- During night time, however, go to the "User preset" area and turn all three colors to the very min. From there you can adjust them slightly to reach whatever equilibrium you desire, but the point is to keep them normal in relation to each other, but ultimately much lower. This created the desired effect I was looking for. From there I, again, use the brightness setting as a quick "fine-tune" for any given moment.

So now I just switch to "Normal" in the day time and "User preset" at night. Quick and easy.

vapb400 said:
Did the price go up? Cuz i'm seeing $799?

yes dell has retarded pricing policies. it used to be 680, then i believe they dropped it down to something like 640 or 650 even. then they put it up to 800. ill neverr know why; however when they put them back down to the 640-650 range (which they will do almost certainly for the holidays) im going to pick up either a 2001fp, a 2005fp or a vp912b...all of which are very close in pricing when dell puts their costs down.

you could use that dellf promotion coupon of 25% off LCD.. It'll knock it down to $599.

what coupon is that? ive looked everywhere on dell.com dont see one.

thanks
dan

I ordered mine for 630.00 bucks total with shipping off of ebay. It is brand new (not a refurb) in box, and it actually will be shipped from dell. The seller had very positive feedback so I said what the hell :D Let you all know when it gets here.

Unfortunately he was only selling 5 on that particular sale HERE

Moments after I grabbed it, it was sold out. I checked to see what else he was selling a day later, and he had listed a few more of the monitors, but they cost more, i.e. more shipping money etc. So I guess I lucked out... But I will say this, there are actually people selling valid 25% off lcd coupon codes on ebay, you can pay 3-5 bucks and save quite a bit, check it out if you can't find it yourself. But they do expire fast.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
i just got one - and bensbargains has another code for 35 dollars off - can't wait for it to show up

The monitor is sweet. I can't really compare it to the 2001FP but I love it. I played Painkiller at 1680x1050 and it looked awesome. I did end up having 5 stuck pixels (2 white and 3 blue) so I called Dell and they shipped me a replacement via next day air which I should have today or tomorrow. They do have good customer service every now and then.

Back