Dell’s UltraSharp 2005FPW widescreen 20-inch LCD monitor.

Vega

Supreme [H]ardness
Does anyone have one of these or know of a site that has reviewed it? The specs look amazing for the price. 12ms, 300 brightness, 600:1 contrast etc for only $679. I am starting to think I made a mistake ordering the Sony 23" which has not arrived yet in the mail. I spent exactly a thousand dollars more on the Sony. I wonder what my chances are of trying to convince Newegg to refund me the Sony unopened for no restocking fee if I return it.

Where did you get $679? I wanted one, but didnt want to wait anymore, and I couldnt find it on Dells website as a stand alone item. So I went ahead and ordered a 2001FP instead.

edit, sonofagun. I looked just yesterday, before commiting to a 2001FP. Now its on Dells website. Arg, so annoying. I got the 2001FP for $600 shipped with no tax, so its not a bad deal. The 2005FPW woul have costed me about $150 more, because they charge tax to my state (9.25% too!). But I really wanted a widescreen. :( Maybe this 2001FP will hold me over for about a year, till they come out with a 23" version..

found a small review of it.

Dell Launches New 20" LCD Monitor - UltraSharp 2005FPW

Dell released a new 20" LCD monitor which replaces the 2001FP. Improvements include a 16:10 aspect ratio, a lower response time (12ms vs 16ms) and a initial price of $799. It looks like the 2001FP is going on firesale to get rid of inventory.

Technical specifications of the Dell UltraSharp 2005FPW include: Native Resolution: 1680 x 1050 @ 60Hz
Response Time (typical): 12ms grey-to-grey, 16ms black-to-white
Contrast Ratio: 600:1
Brightness (typical): 300cd/m2
Number of Colors: 16.7 million
Horizontal/Vertical Viewing Angle (typical): +/-90°
Inputs: Analog/Digital/S-Video/Composite
Dimensions (HxWxD): 15.3" x 18.6" x 9"
Weight: 17.64 lb.

One bad thing about the 2005FPW is that I don't think a lot of games support the native 1680X1050 resolution, so it will probably have to run and scale a lower resolution. Most games do support the 1600x1200 of 2001FP however.
http://www.firstadopter.com/fa/archives/000377.html

cool, and i was going to buy the 2001FP. Cool thing i waited. :D

I was looking at the Apple Cinema 20" and the HP L2335, as well as the 243T... but it looks like TWO 2005FPW's will cost about the same and give me HUGE screen area! w1n!

Vega said:
I spent exactly a thousand dollars more on the Sony. I wonder what my chances are of trying to convince Newegg to refund me the Sony unopened for no restocking fee if I return it.
no restocking fee if unopened.
if opened 15%

and 1 2001FP + 1 2005WFP > 2 2005WFPs...
1 for gaming and normal shit, 1 for movies...

widescreen might be nice, but most sites are only 800px wide anyway, and if u have 2 screens, extra pallets and stuff dont need the screen space anyway...limited to widescreen gaming and movies...

Is there any way to get out of paying tax? Thats a deal killer, when its 9.25%. Brings the total up to about $750, without shipping.

fallguy said:
Is there any way to get out of paying tax? Thats a deal killer, when its 9.25%.

holy smokes! you pay 9.25% sales tax? sheez....

and here I thought our 7% was rediculous..... man-o-man.

ozziegn said:
holy smokes! you pay 9.25% sales tax? sheez....

and here I thought our 7% was rediculous..... man-o-man.

So weak.. it's 22% here. I would be extremely happy for 9.25%.

I don't like the resolutiuon. 1920x1200 is more my deal. I'm sticking with my 2001FP for now.

Couldn't ... resist ... :). I wen't for one. With a $30 coupon it came to $649. Hopefully will get it in a couple of days & will see how it stacks up. Several days ago I almost went with the 2001 because of the price. If I like it I'll sell my Planar 19" & recover some of the upgrade cost.

Well NewEgg came through, they are letting me return the 23" Sony SDM-234 unopened with no re-stocking fee. I ordered the Dell 2005FPW. I am saving almost $1000 and have a more managable resolution for my future SLI setup. I like to run games with every setting maxed and I feared games coming in the near future would push 1920*1200 resolution with max settings too hard. Granted the Sony would have looked better on my desk with its impressive size and better looking design but it's a monitor and not a piece of art. Dell 2005FPW has lower response time, higher contrast ratio and brightness and a smaller widescreen resolution more suited to me. I think with the Sony I just would have pushed it back a further distance from my face and make me strain a little more.

qurq said:
So weak.. it's 22% here. I would be extremely happy for 9.25%.

You arent in the US, and there are other benefits you get to off set the tax percentage.

So, other than someone buying it for me, in a tax free state, and then sending it to me, is there a way to avoid tax?

im confused...what are the advantages of a 20" widescreen over a 20" 4:3? it doesnt run things in proper aspect ratio (games mostly) so itd have to stretch it or crop it or go at a non native res...which for an lcd is no thx. not to mention the screen area on widescreens are lower than on 4:3 AND it costs more than the 2001fp. im thinking ill pick up a 2001fp while its cheap...i wanted the 213t but i just cant justify 1.2" for $260 (that could be going towards HL2, WoW, etc) :(

Almost all games, especially the new ones run fine in widescreen resolutions. No stretching. Once you see a widescreen in game view you will know why widescreen is better fot gaming then the standard almost square 4:3.

A few people from another forum(www.firstadopter.com)...myself included have purchased this monitor by calling the Small Business department for $589 + tax and free shipping. If you have an SB account it's worth a try. Seems like a great deal for a new 20" widescreen LCD.

I think it's 5...6 and more is grounds for a return. But I remember people sending back 2001fps over and over again for various reasons and Dell didn't complain.

Synful Serenity said:
I think it's 5...6 and more is grounds for a return.

no no no...

you can call Dell and tell them that your monitor is defective (for whatever reason) during the first 15 or 30 days (I cant remember which) and they'll overnite you another one.

then they will make arrangements to have your defective LCD picked up by someone like Airborne or DHL. (errr, wait a minute. didnt Airborne turn into DHL?)

Here in Washington, we just voted down a ballot initiative (funded by the teacher's unions, of course) that would have resulted in a 9.8% sales tax here. Even as is, we're still paying 8.8%, and I'm finding it a lot cheaper to buy from out of state these days...

(Apoligies for contributing to the thread drift.)

ozziegn said:
no no no...

you can call Dell and tell them that your monitor is defective (for whatever reason) during the first 15 or 30 days (I cant remember which) and they'll overnite you another one.

then they will make arrangements to have your defective LCD picked up by someone like Airborne or DHL. (errr, wait a minute. didnt Airborne turn into DHL?)

yeah but be careful b/c they reserve the right to send you a refurbished which is what they did with me...before i returned that one too (waiting to get my money back now).

alberthkim said:
yeah but be careful b/c they reserve the right to send you a refurbished which is what they did with me...before i returned that one too (waiting to get my money back now).

...that is absolutely ridiculous. if i buy a new monitor for 700 bones, and it sucks, i expect a new one no questions asked. what kind of an underhanded company sends you a used replacement when the initial one they sent you was defective? this, and the price raise on all their monitors just cut my chance of buying from them waaay down.

Does this model come with the large power brick or is it built in and require just a normal power cord?

I'm sure (since LCDs take up less power than CRTs) they'll need a regular power chord that would usually come with them.

Just a little update: received the Sony SDM-234 23" before the Dell shipped so I decided to open it up and take a look. The quality of the picture pretty much shocked me. It does not have a single dead or stuck pixel and 1920*1200 resolution in games is unreal. I could not imagine now viewing anything less then 23" so I cancelled the Dell 2005FPW before it shipped. I'm sure the Dell 2005FPW is a sweet screen but this Sony is just too impressive to return.

Vega said:
Just a little update: received the Sony SDM-234 23" before the Dell shipped so I decided to open it up and take a look. The quality of the picture pretty much shocked me. It does not have a single dead or stuck pixel and 1920*1200 resolution in games is unreal. I could not imagine now viewing anything less then 23" so I cancelled the Dell 2005FPW before it shipped. I'm sure the Dell 2005FPW is a sweet screen but this Sony is just too impressive to return.

if you think thats nice, wait until you see the apple 30"..it simply dwarfs the 23". it may not seem like thats possible and i know that before i saw the 30" i did too, but once youve seen that EVERYTHING will seem inadequate =[

It's more then twice the price, has a much larger pixel dot pitch so you can't get as close, and theres no fast video cards to run it dual DVI = apple 30" not even a consideration.

The new widescreen is a waste of money. 20" widescreen? Its a flattened 2001FP. Sounds like a waste.

I got mine today...looks very nice...screen is brighter and there is less of the screen door effect than on my 2 2001FP's.. I think I'll get a second and sell my 2001FP's

Played some WoW and looked great as WoW supports 1680X1050 native.

Will try some FPS's later..

RADON said:
Does this model come with the large power brick or is it built in and require just a normal power cord?

no power brick...just a standard PC power cord.

TheGameguru said:
I got mine today...looks very nice...screen is brighter and there is less of the screen door effect than on my 2 2001FP's.. I think I'll get a second and sell my 2001FP's

Ya, I got a 2001FP for my wife and at first I was impressed but that screen door effect killed my desire to own one. It's funny that I hear folks harp about ghosting, motion blur, etc but little talk about that grid effect.

Actually, when it comes to the 2001FP, I hear lots about the screen door effect.

GaleForce said:
The new widescreen is a waste of money. 20" widescreen? Its a flattened 2001FP. Sounds like a waste.

Look its just a matter of preference, some people prefer widescreen.

TheGameguru said:

errm WoW supports 1680x1050? if it does that just kicked up the likelyhood of me buying it (the screen) by around 50% -_-

Uhh, why are people so surprised games support widescreen? Almost all new games do and most of the old ones you can get them to also. I run WoW at 1920*1200 and it's simply amazing. WoW is what my friends say when they come over and look at WoW on my screen.. :D

well it has 19x12 listed in the menu but 1680x1050 isnt mentioned. are you guys sure it supports that res?

I just got mine Friday, I must say it is awesome. I wasnt used to it at first, being widescreen and all.

Didn't see any ghosting or anything at all. I do notice a one or two dead pixels. My previous monitor being a Dell 19" trinitron, it was developing a screen door effect.

Can I reiterate how awesome it is again? I got mine with 679$ no shipping no tax ;), beauty of living in small state like Maryland.

Back