Dell’s UltraSharp 2005FPW widescreen 20-inch LCD monitor.

I ordered one on Wednesday and is showed up 3 days later. I'm freaking ecstatic about this monitor -- no dead pixels, no backlight bleeding -- it's as close to perfect as you can probably get!

Okay, so if I buy one on ebay, there's definitely no worries about being able to send it back to Dell for replacements? There's some pretty good deals right now, and as long as Dell doesn't mind that I purchased it on ebay then it sounds like the way to go.

There's a few rev A02 models on there which are a good price. I'm hoping to order one soon, but I'm just wondering about Dell and how they'd deal with me on any returns, etc.

Lancaster said:
Okay, so if I buy one on ebay, there's definitely no worries about being able to send it back to Dell for replacements? There's some pretty good deals right now, and as long as Dell doesn't mind that I purchased it on ebay then it sounds like the way to go.

There's a few rev A02 models on there which are a good price. I'm hoping to order one soon, but I'm just wondering about Dell and how they'd deal with me on any returns, etc.
call them and ask

Himmler said:
call them and ask

Not a bad idea. :)

Though they'll be like, "You bought it from where?! Not happening, sir." No, just kidding. But I'm just affraid to buy one on ebay for that reason alone.

Hey whats up yall. I just ordered a 2005FPW last week, should be here soon. Im so excited its allready sigged!!

Anyways, I just wanted to put the specs in perspective. I know what the 12ms shit is so dont worry about that; and I understand technically what the 600:1 contrast ratio and 300 brightness are, but can someone explain to me what that MEANS?

Thanks!!

This is just cool.

untitled15fp.jpg

My new 2005fpw came in the mail yesterday :( It has backlight issues in the corners but whats worse is it looks like something is pushing on the screen from behind causing a crease in the lcd about 5inchs long starting from the bottom middle and going towards the upper left. Emailed Dell about a replacement :(

Revision date is Nov2005 btw.

2005fpw.JPG

Xiro said:
My new 2005fpw came in the mail yesterday :( It has backlight issues in the corners but whats worse is it looks like something is pushing on the screen from behind causing a crease in the lcd about 5inchs long starting from the bottom middle and going towards the upper left. Emailed Dell about a replacement :(

Revision date is Nov2005 btw.

2005fpw.JPG

A friend of mine just got his XPS400 system from Dell today with the 2005FPW.
The monitor has the same back lighting problems as your picture, crease and everything. Also dated Nov2005.
It is a very nice monitor but with the backlighting worse than my cheap $200 CTX I dont think I will be ordering one any time soon. I dont want to have to deal with sending back several just to find one that is good.

I received my Dell UltraSharp 2005FPW yesterday. I got it for a one day deal of $499 Canadian, with free shipping. It was a great deal not to be passed up.
I received version A03, assembled November 2005 in Mexico.
I have some backlighting issues in all four corners, especially in the bottom left and right corners.
Also, when using dual monitors on my graphics card, I cannot view video on my analog monitor. What's up with that?

Ok, knock on wood here...
I have been massaging my monitor screen to try to even out the backlighting issue, and it seems to be working. I had some minor backlighting compared to others it seemed, and as of right now, the screen seems perfect. No backlighting whatsoever. And it's been on for a while already today. Hopefully it stays this way... like I said, knock on wood.

ok since many of you have the 2005fpw am i the only one who stares at these things and notices the terrbile left side of the screens where there is about a 5 inch section of wavy lines. It is sometimes not noticeable on certain backgrounds but if you have counterstrike when you first load counterstrike and search for servers it is outstandingly noticeable otherwise it is semi faint. Anyway I tried 3 times to get one without it any of you guys have the same problems with yours. Oh and yeah I tried a different video card and got the same issue.

Does anyone know if the 2005fpw will decrease in price after the release of the 30"?

TypeE1ite said:
ok since many of you have the 2005fpw am i the only one who stares at these things and notices the terrbile left side of the screens where there is about a 5 inch section of wavy lines. It is sometimes not noticeable on certain backgrounds but if you have counterstrike when you first load counterstrike and search for servers it is outstandingly noticeable otherwise it is semi faint. Anyway I tried 3 times to get one without it any of you guys have the same problems with yours. Oh and yeah I tried a different video card and got the same issue.

No wavy lines on my 2005 maybe you need to RMA

TypeE1ite said:

By any chance, are those nVidia video cards?

I used to have the same problem. The wavy pattern was sliding down the screen along the left edge. If you have an nVidia card, go to "Advanced Timings" settings in the drivers and play around (carefully!). Changing the "front porch" setting from 3 to 7 worked for me (XFX 6600GT). Alternatively, you may try powerstrip and play around with settings (even changing the framerate from, say , 59.950 to 59.915 may get rid of the problem).

Just got my 2005fpw today....I am using it as an external monitor for my notebook (a Dell Inspiron 9330 which I use as a DTR). This notebook has the "pedestrian" 128MB ATI X300 Radeon Mobility card. No dead pixels; there is some light leakage in the lower left & upper right corners, but I can see that only w/ pure black backgrounds in no to low room lighting. All in all, I am very happy thusfar. Colors are pretty vibrant to my eye, and to me, the blacks are pretty good too, taking into account this is an LCD..... Now I just need to adjust some color settings...Oh yeah, this sucker is pretty bright...

as anyone had problems with their's overheating? Every hour of continue use it just goes completely blank. This is my second monitor, i've called for another replacement.

I guess ive been lucky, i got three that dont really bleed. Two are perfect and the third has a some on the left bottom corner, but blends in well so i dont really notice it.

Well, the knocking on wood didn't work. I thought the backlight bleeding went away for a bit, but now it's back. And it is very noticeable in a dark room with a black background on the screen. I called Dell, and they're sending me a new one. It's too bad they continue to make screens with this type of problem. You would have thought they would have learned from the previous revisions about this problem.
Rev 03 - November 2005 - Assembled in Mexico (maybe they were all drunk in Cancun when these monitors were put together, and didn't notice any backlight bleeding).

StanleyParker said:
Well, the knocking on wood didn't work. I thought the backlight bleeding went away for a bit, but now it's back. And it is very noticeable in a dark room with a black background on the screen. I called Dell, and they're sending me a new one. It's too bad they continue to make screens with this type of problem. You would have thought they would have learned from the previous revisions about this problem.
Rev 03 - November 2005 - Assembled in Mexico (maybe they were all drunk in Cancun when these monitors were put together, and didn't notice any backlight bleeding).

I have some bleeding in the lower right-hand corner and also in upper right-hand corner. Is it simple to just call Dell and ask for a new one if you have this problem? And do you have to send back yours first before they'll send you the replacement? Just because my old monitor is being used by someone else at the moment, so I'd have to high-jack it back from them for the time being if that were the case.

Thanks

Yes, just call Dell, and first they'll try to troubleshoot the problem (adjusting the colour settings and so on), and then agree to send you a new one. They'll send you a new one first before they ask you for your old one back.
After the new one arrives, you're supposed to arrange for the pick-up of the old one by Dell. No shipping costs are charged to you for anything.

Just got my new computer tonight as well as the 2005FPW. The screen is very nice and sharp but so bright and I have the brightness set at zero, So whats everyones color settings?

What's the proper way to massage the screen? I tried pinching the edges and press a little on the panel itself and it didn't seem to do anything?

My 2nd one arrived this morning and it seemed even worse. Kind of expected though, since once I looked at the box it was A02 Nov2005. My original is the A03 already. :(

I got my 2005fpw monitor yesterday (01-10) that I bought on eBay. After setting it up and running for an hour as suggested I encounterd no dead or stuck pixels (my biggest worry) or the backlighting problem that everyone had been talking about. With the room dark I can see some light in the corners but it is very little. I have the revision A02 but I couldn't see the month of manufacture. I am very happy with my purchase and feel lucky that I all (2) of the LCD monitors that I have bought had no dead pixels. (My first LCD monitor had one stuck red pixel in the corner--Mfg. Sceptre)

jbgroup1 said:
I got my 2005fpw monitor yesterday (01-10) that I bought on eBay. After setting it up and running for an hour as suggested I encounterd no dead or stuck pixels (my biggest worry) or the backlighting problem that everyone had been talking about. With the room dark I can see some light in the corners but it is very little. I have the revision A02 but I couldn't see the month of manufacture. I am very happy with my purchase and feel lucky that I all (2) of the LCD monitors that I have bought had no dead pixels. (My first LCD monitor had one stuck red pixel in the corner--Mfg. Sceptre)
The month of assembly should be on the back of the panel near the revision number.

nah, i hate it. i just got my 2005fpw yesterday. it´s so nice :)
and now i´m stuck at work with a blurry 17" monitor :(

Wieland said:
Actually, I'm an entertainment media student. I really DO need accurate coloration, including true blacks, etc. If I just bought this for the sheer sake of having a big screen, it would have been an entirely different matter.

if you need accurate coloration and true blacks, then you shouldn't be buying an LCD period.

TypeE1ite said:

I just noticed the same thing today...weird

Fenix793 said:
I just noticed the same thing today...weird
Yea, the same thing is happening to me. I wonder if this a problem that spans across all of the revisions. I have an rev. A03 Nov. 2005 monitor.

After lots of thought I ordered my 2005fpw yesterday. I got a good price of £315 (good price in the UK anyway) but I'm a tiny bit concerned about my video card. i will barely be doing any gaming and am planning to get the Geforce 6200, this will be ok for this screen yeah?

I have a Geforce 5500 and as far as the games I play (sim city 4, gta san andreas and need for speed:underground) and regular web surfing, photoshop and document viewing I have a very good monitor picture. I was worried before I got my 2005 fpw that my graphics card wouldn't support the native resolution but once I hooked it up I simply adjusted to the native resolution and it looks great. I do use Cleartype and I appear to get better text than before. I would recommend this monitor to most everyone I know.

I did order a Geforce 6800gs which I hope will allow for better gaming.

For those of you ordered another monitor due to backlight bleeding, dead pixels, or whatever else, when did you return your other monitor. I received my new monitors over 10 days ago now, and Dell still has not called me about the old one. I feel like they have forgotten about it totally. Mmmm....

StanleyParker said:
For those of you ordered another monitor due to backlight bleeding, dead pixels, or whatever else, when did you return your other monitor. I received my new monitors over 10 days ago now, and Dell still has not called me about the old one. I feel like they have forgotten about it totally. Mmmm....
I think i just got away with that actually...call them and ask of anything outstanding on your account...

I think I will keep it. Dell tech support has given me extreme problems and headaches over the last few weeks because of other troubles with my system. They recommended to purchase the wrong type of RAM, and now I have to pay a restocking fee to whom I bought it from for 15%. Plus the countless hours wasted spent trying to pinpoint system problems is well worth the price of a 20" LCD monitor I think. :D

I just set mine up, i have a tiny bit of bleed through on the upper right corner and lower left corner, not enough to bother me in the least, i guess i got lucky.

The only problem im having is getting the colors calibrated right.

Got mine today and I love it. Nothing out of the ordinary as far as problems go, however, I was a little weirded out that if I use my DVI, I can't adjust my contrast. And the brightness has to be way up, but it looks realy nice...

Runs great in Linux as well for those that want to know. Games like Quake 4 that support wide screen run simply awesome. Doom3 runs smooth as butter too.

Not sure what everyone was talking about with screen lag. I think its a little faster than my old NEC 1970GX 19 in LCD monitor. However, some of you younger folks with better eyes might see a difference, but with 36 yr old eyes, no glasses, it looks simply amazing :)

I was, however, able to adjust the contrast on my old monitor with DVI... Hmmm... Oh well. Money well spent I think.

I have a couple questions about the monitor if someone wouldn't mind.

Im not used to LCD screens and ive had various opinions on my 2005fpw since I got it in August. I had a black vertical line on the left side of my screen since I got it, so that along with the screen being loose from the frame were two reasons I got a new one.

....so the "refurbished" screen arrives and its muuuch brighter than my current one. But I don't know if its just that im not used to it, but it seems like its ghosting more than my first one....or maybe this one is and the first didn't but its noticeable.

Now here are a couple things id appreciate if someone could relate to me with:

1) When I scroll across the screen in a strategy title or turn in an FPS, does anyone notice how nothing is really focused at all until you stop again, sorta like a motion blur? I know it sounds "duh" but it seems like it happens less on my CRT screen. Is this a monitor issue or just how they are.

2) Ok, when you are in windows and you are on a long paged thread like this and you grab the scroll bar on the right, if you (not really fast) move it up and down do you sorta notice a warping or shifting effect of some kind?

3) When I move my folders or pagers around on my desktop the thinks inside get a bit blurry and the side of the folder get etchy.

Lastly...i think this is related to my specific screen but say when you move around in a game...does anyone seem to notice something creepy like a faint shadow that appears through the screen? I notice one at the top right of mine.

Anyway, thanks to anyone who could help clear up my LCD paranoia.

Back