Dell’s UltraSharp 2005FPW widescreen 20-inch LCD monitor.

I am posting from my new Dell 2005fpw. Oh my god what a monitor. No dead pixles and no backlighting. Its the perfect size. Thank you all for your recommendations. Im gonna take a pic of it and add it to the pic thread.

Justin

WOOTY WOOT WOOT

Well now I dont know what to think. I lightly massaged the screen with a microfiber towel, concentrating on the areas with light leakage, and I think I mostly got rid of it. Dunno why I didn't try that before.

Before/After: (images brightness/contrast adjusted at the same settings, an accurate representation of what I actually saw/see)
noleakage.jpg

Whatever, I'm happy now. Much easier than getting a replacement :)

Very nice Zig! I got mine today as well (around 5:30) and well, I am extremely pleased! I looked as best I could with the naked eye, and I never once saw any sign of dead pixels, or back light issues. I then took a picture of a black screen, and saw backlight issues. It looked a lot like your actually. I never noticed the backlight issue when viewing DVDs, or playing games. I am keeping this baby, for those of you who are worried about this backlight issue, don't! The pictures look bad, even mine does, but unless viewed from an odd angle, it doesn't make a difference at all in the usability of the monitor!

Massaging it with a towel doesn't get rid of the light leakage. It just spreads it out to the rest of your screen so you will never truly have a black background. I know this from experience since I went through 4 displays and even then, massaging out the leakage didn't get rid of it in the concentrated areas, it just dimmed it a bit.

Can the Dell 2005FPW display 720P for XBox games and DVD playback?

I wish it had component inputs as well, like the 2405 does.

zig said:
Well now I dont know what to think. I lightly massaged the screen with a microfiber towel, concentrating on the areas with light leakage, and I think I mostly got rid of it. Dunno why I didn't try that before.

How long did it take to get that much of a noticeable difference? The difference in the pics is amazing. I tried massaging for 30 seconds every few minutes for a good 2 hours and I haven't noticed much of a difference. Any suggestions?

These screens just sound like bad news to me. You either get lucky and get one without problems or you get one thats fucked. I was considering getting one because Im gonna have some extra cash, but it just seems too likely that there will be problems with dead pixels, backlight leakage, or both.

Cousin Patty said:
These screens just sound like bad news to me. You either get lucky and get one without problems or you get one thats fucked. I was considering getting one because Im gonna have some extra cash, but it just seems too likely that there will be problems with dead pixels, backlight leakage, or both.

The other thing you have to remember is that more often than not you hear about the ones that are messed up, and the ones that are good go un-mentioned because they are well, good.

Mine came in with a bit of backlighting going on, but nothing big. I can live with it, being as I have to look for it on a totally black screen to even notice it. And, no dead pixels (on two moniters)

Hey guys,

Thought I'd post my experience since this thread was an invaluable resource when I was first considering a purchase. My 2005FPW was an April 2005 A01 UK, it had 3 stuck (green) pixels and looked like this:

image0305jp.jpg

(pic has been adjusted)

Pretty average backlight problems AFAICT, but it went back since I watch a lot of films in the dark and for that purpose it was shocking. Massaging the screen actually made it worse, but unlike zig I applied pressure to bits that weren't bleeding - perhaps that was a mistake.

Apart from that I was stunned - an absolutely gorgeous monitor in every way. The off-axis peachiness is a weird quirk that seems to affect a lot of SIPS panels but it's no big deal unless you're a screen sniffer. My second 2005FPW is on its way.

Punx_Clever said:
The other thing you have to remember is that more often than not you hear about the ones that are messed up, and the ones that are good go un-mentioned because they are well, good.

I agree that's generally the way things go, but I've seen so many cases of people going through 3 or 4 2005FPWs before finding one that's acceptable (subjectively speaking, of course). It's pretty obvious that there's a problem inherent to its design that affects a substantial proportion of examples. It depends on your usage whether you find the bleeding tolerable or not, but really its something that should be non-existant in a monitor of this price and quality.

Cheers. :)

I got my 2nd one today, the backlight appears flawless, and after a good eyeballin with dead pixel buddy I noticed no dead pixels. Im very happy, though I have not tested the backlight under long 2+ hour warmup times as i just got it in today and had to goto work.

Wow, amazing this topic is still going strong. Over 100 pages and 250,000 views!! :eek:

Looks like the issues with the 2005 will never be resolved. Does the 2405 have similar backlight bleeding issues?

Well guys, I've had mine for a few days now, and I can honestly say that this monitor is totally worth it. I have noticed some backlight bleeding, but it is so incredibly over exaggerated when a picture is taken in. When in person, the bleeding looks more of a dull color, not the bright white that shows up in person. Either way, I believe it has actually gotten better since I recieved it. For those of you on the fence, and don't know if you should get one, do yourself a favor, and get it. You cannot notice the backlight bleeding when just using your computer. I watched a black and white movie the other day, and my backlight bleeding was hardly noticable. But I know it is there. The thing is, if you consider yourself really picky, or if you are one that notices any mistake in something, maybe you shouldn't get it. If you consider yourself pretty open and not really mind if there is a glow coming from the screen (which in my experience is ONLY noticable when the screen is totally dark. Which is hardly ever even in gaming. I played HL2, Doom 3, and a few other darker games, and the backlight issue never bothered me a bit, and I have it.

So basically if you think you can handle something that you have to look for to notice, buy this monitor. Also, no dead pixels. And Dell's return/exchange policy is excellent, so if you aren't satisfied you aren't going to be SOL.

tbt101 said:
Well guys, I've had mine for a few days now, and I can honestly say that this monitor is totally worth it. I have noticed some backlight bleeding, but it is so incredibly over exaggerated when a picture is taken in. When in person, the bleeding looks more of a dull color, not the bright white that shows up in person. Either way, I believe it has actually gotten better since I recieved it. For those of you on the fence, and don't know if you should get one, do yourself a favor, and get it. You cannot notice the backlight bleeding when just using your computer. I watched a black and white movie the other day, and my backlight bleeding was hardly noticable. But I know it is there. The thing is, if you consider yourself really picky, or if you are one that notices any mistake in something, maybe you shouldn't get it. If you consider yourself pretty open and not really mind if there is a glow coming from the screen (which in my experience is ONLY noticable when the screen is totally dark. Which is hardly ever even in gaming. I played HL2, Doom 3, and a few other darker games, and the backlight issue never bothered me a bit, and I have it.

So basically if you think you can handle something that you have to look for to notice, buy this monitor. Also, no dead pixels. And Dell's return/exchange policy is excellent, so if you aren't satisfied you aren't going to be SOL.

I definately love my 2005fpw. Only problem is I have scan lines on the left side of it. But Dell is sending a replacement and it should be here Monday. It is an extremely nice monitor.

Well............ you guys have me just about ready to pull the trigger. What kind of price is a good deal. I am not in a real big hurry. I have this NEC 2141sb. I am moving my computer stuff to another room in the house and it will not have this corner desk so there will not be enough room for this monitor. It has been a great monitor though. I wonder how much it is worth to sell. It is about a year old.

How do you guys assume a 720p source will end up looking on this monitor if we have it fill the screen? Id love to use this for next gens consoles.

Does the 2005 FPW have the same lag problem that the 2405 does? The input lag that delays its output from your input by 50ms or whatever; someone did a test with 2 monitors side by side and the Dell one is lagged quite noticeably. Someone mentioned this may be due to the overdrive; if that's the case... man, that sucks.

I just got a Dell 2005fpw two weeks ago. It's a revision A02, manufactured June 2005 in Mexico. I got it for $389 shipped + tax. It's got two stuck pixels. One green and one red. The green one only shows up on a black background and is invisible on all other colors. The red one is not noticable on black but, is noticable on every other color. So I only see one dead pixel at a time. Also, there is some backlight bleed-through from both top corners. Dell's shipping out a replacement for it today. Hope this one is better because I've almost exhausted my 21 day no-hassle return period.

How often do those coupons come around? I checked that techbargains web site every day for the past 2 weeks and I havent seen anything regarding the monitors. I havent had to buy a monitor in years so I wasnt sure if this was a regular event that they put out coupons for, or if it was a once in a blue moon type thing.

You get the really good coupons once every few months.

Others are online all the time.

Buying over the phone, however, can almost always get you cheaper prices than even the coupons if you work at it.

If you buy over the phone be sure to call the peripherals people and make sure you mention business use and not home use.

It may take some time and a number of calls but it can be very worthwhile.

Just wondering how the newer batches of these monitors are coming in.
i just ordered one yesterday for 599+tax canadian.

Arrives on the 16th...

Definately looking forward to it, but im guessing its going to take a few times to get it right...

A friend of mine just sent back a 3rd replacement 2005FPW for backlight issues, but this time he decided to get a refund and try another brand altogether.

I didnt realise the backlight problem was so widespread on this particular model.

dang, not quite the post i wanted to hear. alot of hit and miss it seems. luck and paitence i guess is the only way to go about it.

Well... I am taking a chance and ordering one of these.

I got a good price on it: ~$450 with tax and shipping included

For those of you looking to get a good deal on them, it appears that ~$415 pre-tax with free shipping is the lowest Dell is currently going.

This price took me a solid hour to get on their business phone sales line.

I HIGHLY suggest that you take the time and haggle with their sales representatives (be nice) as it can save you well over $100.

TESLA said:
Well... I am taking a chance and ordering one of these.

I got a good price on it: ~$450 with tax and shipping included

For those of you looking to get a good deal on them, it appears that ~$415 pre-tax with free shipping is the lowest Dell is currently going.

I HIGHLY suggest that you take the time and haggle with their sales representatives (be nice) as it can save you well over $100.

450 canadian!? damn. i shouldve haggled more

What a pain in the ass to get a hold of them with no service tag and no Dell system or peripheral ... pressing 0 0 0 doesnt help ... you have to answer stupid questions

Obviously they make it tough for non Dell system owners to get support

bealzz said:
450 canadian!? damn. i shouldve haggled more

All prices I showed were in USD. The monitor was ~$415 USD before tax and with shipping.

With tax in New York state the price came to ~$450.

Still less than you payed.

Time spent equals money!

(It would be ~$505 CAD + TAX.)

EDIT: I just wanted to update with the fact that when I looked at my order status Dell charged me only $370 USD (~$450 CAD) for the monitor with free shipping.

With tax to New York the price went to $401.92 USD.

I don't know why, but this is ~$45 less than what I worked my price down to over the phone. I guess the sales representative must have really liked me. :D

Ive had my monitor for awhile now and with the xbox 360 launch nearing, i was wondering how well this will work for a display for the console. Its suppose to come wiith a vga out cable by default. So Would this monitor be able to play games in hd and widescreen?

Is it normal that Dell charges you for the exchange ... I setup an exchange and I now see a 2005FPW for over $700 charged to my account

I assume they take this off when they receive the exchange

TESLA said:

Out of curiosity, how many sales reps did you end up talking to in this hour? I'm looking to buy a 2405, but haven't been having much luck with the reps I"ve talked to.

lw3d said:
Is it normal that Dell charges you for the exchange ... I setup an exchange and I now see a 2005FPW for over $700 charged to my account

they never charged me first. Call up and freak out on them

lw3d said:

If you look closely at your account, you will probably notice that the purchaser is marked as 'exchange' or some such. You will not be actually billed for it. The same thing was on mine.

SS

Icarus said:
Out of curiosity, how many sales reps did you end up talking to in this hour? I'm looking to buy a 2405, but haven't been having much luck with the reps I"ve talked to.

I transferred to different reps back and forth about three times.

My 2005FPW came in the mail today.

I hooked it up and...

NO dead pixels
NO backlight bleeding
NO scan lines

:D

Either I am one lucky man to get a perfect monitor on the first try or their new batch got better.

My screen is a July 2005 model.

TESLA said:
My 2005FPW came in the mail today.

I hooked it up and...

NO dead pixels
NO backlight bleeding
NO scan lines

:D

Either I am one lucky man to get a perfect monitor on the first try or their new batch got better.

My screen is a July 2005 model.

THERES NO WAY. Are you serious? Im happy for you but god damn. I just got my 3rd today and it has scan lines. What vid card are you using? www.xfire.com

look in the blue area of that website. look hard.

NO don't goto xfire.com I was ignorantly blissful until I found his thread lol, No backlight bleeding whatsoever, not one single dead pixel, but I do got scan lines on DVI :(

Elderblaze said:
NO don't goto xfire.com I was ignorantly blissful until I found his thread lol, No backlight bleeding whatsoever, not one single dead pixel, but I do got scan lines on DVI :(

lol, hes gotta know before his 21 days.

I have a Inspiron 9300 laptop, Geforce 6800 to go, over a gig of ram...beauty. Ive used it and this on my desktop for a very long time now. I just recently put them together....O wow holy crap does the 2005fpw spank it :wow:

I cant believe i never realized it before.

jesus i have never seen a thread get so huge!!! anyways, despite all its problems, im thinking about taking a risk and ordering one soon. i looked on ebay and found this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Dell-2005FPW-20...itemZ5230113634QQcategoryZ86706QQcmdZViewItem

if you look at the screens on the bottom youll notice there is a small bruise on the top middle section of the screen. thing is, its a great price! what do you guys think? would you buy it if you were in my position? let me know!

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back