Dell S-Line Screens - S2740L, S2440L, S2340M, S2340L, S2240M

It's not noticeable in regular use, I play games on mine all the time. The 27" is an excellent monitor for the price with no PWM at any brightness level, VESA compatbility and a solid IPS panel.

Thanks am between this and the Samsung S27C750P.

Recently added both a U2713HM and S2340M to my setup and all I can say is :D

Definitely the best monitors I've ever owned, the vibrancy and clarity on both are stellar and I've never seen colors so rich. Very happy indeed!

No dead or stuck pixels, no light bleeding, no ghosting of any sort while gaming on either one (no input lag either), these monitors are absurdly beautiful. The only thing I was a bit wary of was the glossy screen on the S2340M. However the reflections have been minimal even in my light-source heavy room, and the colors are simply brilliant!

The only downside is that now the old Dell UltraSharp 2407WFP-HC I use at work looks too dull after experiencing true IPS goodness. Might have to upgrade that one as well ;)

Is there any perfomance difference between S2340M and S2340L or the difference is only in the DVI vs the HDMI?

Thanks!!!

I'm considering trying a 2240m which only has vga and dvi inputs. Planning on using a hdmi to dvi-d cable to go from a laptop to the display.

Would there be any problems with displaying hdcp content do you think?

Those with the 22 inch, how bad is the IPS glow?

I have a 22 inch AOC with supposedly the same IPS panel as the 2240 and it's sitting next to my U2713HM, both at the lowest brightness settings and the 22 inch looks like it's showing a grey sheet because the glow/bleed is so bad.

Makes me really appreciate the expensive U2713HM - very low glow - in fact I turned off my wallpaper and it's almost too dark!

The vesa mount attracted me to the AOC but it's probably going back, hoping Dell solved this.

Hey Kitarist,

I have a S2740l overclocked to 76hz. Custom timings are Horizontal: 1920, 20, 20, 1986 Vertical: 1080, 3, 4, 1092. Pixel Clock 164.8221 MHz.

Good Luck

Wow nice!!! So that means it will run on 75hz with no sweat :) Do you notice the difference?

Also i have a question regarding the NVIDIA/AMD monitor bug that happens when you plug it via HDMI? Anyone knows about that, it was mentioned in some posts and how to fix it?

Thanks again :)

I'm not sure about a bug since I'm running Dual link DVI from my GTX 570. And yes, I notice a nice difference. By setting the refresh rate one Hz higher than what I cap my games at, I get almost zero screen tearing with Vsync OFF.

Anyone have any clue if the stand on the 27" S2740L is swappable with and or all Dell stands?

I am trying to run 3 of the 27"s in portrait but I need stands that pivot/portrait :confused:

Anyone have any clue if the stand on the 27" S2740L is swappable with and or all Dell stands?

I am trying to run 3 of the 27"s in portrait but I need stands that pivot/portrait :confused:

I need to know this too.
Are all VESA stands are compatible?
Like my S2440L stand has this type of slot, with a grove in the middle:
EAmV4whl.jpg

and I want to buy a new stand to replace it so I can swivel or adjust its height!

Can I just buy this Dell U2410F stand & just place it in the slot even though the slot is shaped a little differently?
X0EYRnKl.jpg

Will that work?

Well that stinks, the viewing cone on the S2440L is HORRIBLE & I can't find any type of compatible VESA stand replacement that has a swivel & height adjustments anywhere on the internet.

I went with this monitor because 1.) I wanted a glossy screen monitor & 2.) the glowing reviews I read. The viewing cone problem wasn't too apparent in person at Best Buy.
The contrast & black levels are fantastic. Response time is excellent & motion handling very good.

But sitting 3 feet away from the screen, even DEAD CENTER & I can still see the edges of the screen lose contrast if I look left or right, even without moving my head.
I have to sit back nearly 6-8 feet to have the viewing cone problem to not be a problem.

I should have went with the Hp 25bw, they were side by side at Best Buy & the Hp had a glossy screen & great viewing angles, but I took the advice of tftcentral.co.uk & pcmonitors.info that the S2440L was a killer monitor for the price.
Plus I couldn't find one single review of the HP 25bw anywhere.

I'm having buyers regret.:(

I need to know this too.
Are all VESA stands are compatible?
Like my S2440L stand has this type of slot, with a grove in the middle:
EAmV4whl.jpg

and I want to buy a new stand to replace it so I can swivel or adjust its height!

Can I just buy this Dell U2410F stand & just place it in the slot even though the slot is shaped a little differently?
X0EYRnKl.jpg

Will that work?

You will need this adapter http://www.ebay.com/itm/DELL-VESA-Mount-Adapter-for-S2340L-S2340M-S2240L-S2240M-/200883887468 in order to mount the monitor to any standard vesa stand or mount.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Or for that matter, can someone just recommend me a replacement VESA stand that can both rotate & be adjusted for height?

So I just insert that into my monitor & any VESA stand will then fit into the adapter?
No screws or extra hooks?
From what I have seen of it might need a nut and locking washer because the bracket does not appears to be threaded, but that is pretty cheap and available at most hardware stores.

Got three of the 27"s up in portrait with an Ergo Tech triple stand. Took an hour to get them lined up properly but happy with the results.

The monitors look fantastic overall(high gloss looks stunning) and really good in portrait vs my old 120hz TN BenQ's.

How is the glare to other glossy panels such as the Apple Cinema Display?

I have the HP 27BW right now, but the build quality was a bit of a letdown. Considering the S2740L but heard problems with the 'overshoot' and non-uniformity.

How is the glare to other glossy panels such as the Apple Cinema Display?

I have the HP 27BW right now, but the build quality was a bit of a letdown. Considering the S2740L but heard problems with the 'overshoot' and non-uniformity.

Its about the same as the Apple display. Which is awesome if you like high gloss;)

Is there any reason to not set the contrast at max for my monitor?

Every review has it at the default settings of 75, but they don't mention if there are any adverse effects of setting it higher?

I set the brightness to 25 & I'm getting absolute killer black levels even at night, I compensated by setting the contrast to 100 & that brightened up the screen quite a bit & it looks fine even in daytime.

Does this cause banding or inaccurate colors?

I think I may need some help.

I thought I had a stuck pixel on my Dell S2440L, but it looks like a speck of dust is sandwiched in between the edge to edge glass & the actual panel behind it.

Is it possible to disassemble the front glass screen, so I can use a can of compressed air in it to blow away the spec of dust?
Are there any instructions for opening it up, as I don't see any screws in the back & I don't want to mess up the touch control panel by accident.

Let's nip this in the bud immediately, at least one person has been banned recently for this resolutions and screen ratios crap. Go buy a U2713HM if you want high dpi. 1080p will still be good for many users, especially those running low spec systems and/or wanting consoles, bluray and satellite/cable receivers on the same system.

you mean they actually ban people for expressing their opinion? Wow. Then again, I've been banned (and unbanned) like 3x by some overzealous clickers. Anyhow. I own one of these and tbh the resolution didn't bother me at first (I had just gotten back Into the pc game and when I left 1920x1200 was pretty much the top end except for the 30"ers) but after some reading and finding out that 1080p was the lower end of the scale, and how sub par it is these days.. I find myself wanting to replace it bad.

Disappointing, I almost wish I didn't read what I always do about 1080p lol. That said, he's right - its been said by reviewer after reviewer, pc monitors are lagging behind.

This monitor specifically certainly has great color (was my first IPS) so not sure if I can attribute it to that, or the fact that its glossy (my old monitors were all matte) or the LED backlight (first one of those too) or plain ole quality. Apart from 1080p they aren't bad imo. For the price theyre stylish and big for those after screen size. Then again for the same price you can get a tv practically double the size w/ the same reso.

Imagine the pickle I feel now, considering adding 2 to this for my first tri display, or letting this one go to waste and buying a 27" 1440p just for the sake of having a higher res display.

Whilst your first comment was not as conspicuous and annoying as some, I'll just remind you that the displays forum recently had to have its' own set of rules and hard line non tolerance of those continually posting stupid ratio/resolution arguments in every thread. May I draw your attention to a similar complaint I made in another thread and Kyle's response:If I see this thread start to descend into the same kind of nonsense as the above thread I won't hesitate to press the report post button. As for your pissy comment about supermarket shopping, I suggest you read the forum rules again. Rule #1 would be a good place to start.

Also I already pointed out that there are no 27" 1080p IPS monitors, and this is surely the only 27" IPS with a glass screen, whereas 1440p users can choose from Apple, Samsung and a variety of lesser brands and Korean imports.

Finally, as you seem to need to look down on people that are looking for 1080p displays consider that: a) you just sound like a ****, b) people are allowed to have more than one monitor to perform different jobs on different systems.

LOL wheweee this guy. I better duck out of this thread now before he presses the report button. I'm too "liberal" and "laid back" I don't want to waste any mod's time checking reports by some over zealous forum Nazi due to my aversion towards dem kind'a folk

I'm lovin my 2240.

It doesn't seem any more glossy or reflective than the ACD to me, and I just crank up the brightness during the day to compensate for ambient light. I guess if you're constantly working with black backgrounds or watch movies with a lot of dark scenes then you shouldn't even consider this, just get matte.

I bought a S2440l last week from Best Buy online since the ones around my place were out of stock due to the sale price. The first one has a couple dead pixels and what looked like dust/dirt stuck between the panel and glass. It looks like there is something putting pressure on the pixel(s). I went to exchange it yesterday once the local stores had them back in stock.

The second one was even worse. It has one dead pixel and again what looked to be dust/dirt stuck between the panel and glass. This caused discoloration to about a half dozen pixels. The bottom edges also looked to be pressing against the glass causing two circles of discoloration. They looked the same as if you put pressure a LCD screen without glass covering.

The third one has issues as well. Two stuck pixels, seven pixels that looks dirty. They look like all the sub pixels are on. I can see red, blue, and green when I look at them. There is excessive backlight bleed on the top. I find this weird since the other two had the most backlight bleed from the bottom side.

Should I keep going back to exchange them or should I buy from another place? All three boxes has the same batch number on them so I don't know if Best Buy is getting below grade panels for cheap or if I'm just unlucky. If I do buy from another place it'll probably be either Amazon or Costco because of their return policy and a price of only $10 more than Best Buy.

Enjoying the s2240m display, but I don't have the "easy arrange" functionality in the Dell display manager. Weird.

Version 1.11.0.1315

With my hdmi cable halfway plugged in I was able to see it and select a pattern, then I just pushed it in all the way and those options went away. I no longer see the "easy arrange" stuff. It strangely works though, I just can't use anything but that one pattern I selected.

Is it possible to use it if you have a windows just beside ? (north side of the house). I hesitate between two similar products :

- Dell S2340L
- AOC i2369vm (not semi gloss, but light mattte).

Did somebody have regrets having bought a glossy dell ?

Last edited:
Hy i have a dell S2340L and i have a blueish tint on the right side, does anyone has this problem? and in light grey i see diference of colors on the left side i see a yellowish grey and on the right side is a darker grey and blueish. Is there a problem with my monitor or that's how dell it is?

After a few more reading, I noticed that I was confusing the S2340T with S2340L.
I was really pissed off why some reviewers state that S2340T doesn't have PWM while S2340L does, but they are 2 different models.

In other words, I S2340T I never tested and I have no clue if it does have or doesn't have PWM.
However, after some testing, I ended up buying a S2340L due to a lot of qualities + price, and curiously enough, its PWM doesn't harm my eyes. Luckily I bought some for the company I work at, and I tested one at home.
It was to be expected tho, since the amount of light coming towards me from this panel is on the low side, allowing me to use it at home during the night with room lights off, at a level of 70% brightness, which is absolutely fine for my eyes in terms of PWM. I would most likely have a bad experience around 40% brightness, but I can't use that for long enough, since is too dark.

All in all, I am really pleased having a glossy panel of this quality, not to mention that the level of contrast is excellent.

No matter how much I want PWM flickering to disappear, and how much I hate the ppl promoting it despite the problems they come with, this is an example of acceptable tradeoff, a quality frequency with low enough brightness to not force you go under 60% brightness, seems to do it for me. (and yes, I still hate PWM).

I bought a S2440l last week from Best Buy online since the ones around my place were out of stock due to the sale price. The first one has a couple dead pixels and what looked like dust/dirt stuck between the panel and glass. It looks like there is something putting pressure on the pixel(s). I went to exchange it yesterday once the local stores had them back in stock.

The second one was even worse. It has one dead pixel and again what looked to be dust/dirt stuck between the panel and glass. This caused discoloration to about a half dozen pixels. The bottom edges also looked to be pressing against the glass causing two circles of discoloration. They looked the same as if you put pressure a LCD screen without glass covering.

I got my S2440L from a Best Buy store, and this unit also seems to have too much pressure on the screen at certain points. Fortunately, the only area which shows obvious discoloration during normal use is the bottom left corner. A dark brownish diagonal about an inch long appears there from time to time, and really sticks out like a sore thumb when I'm on a webpage with a lighter-colored background.

I'm not certain if I should do an exchange over this one issue or not, given how many people have reported dead pixels and other problems with this model. If it were a TV, I could probably just ignore it, but a flickering dark corner is really annoying on a monitor. This kind of discoloration is obviously caused by stresses on the screen - VA panels are notorious for it - and so it's possible it might clear up as the screen loosens up over time. However, if my display had actual discoloration of pixels, as would seem to be the case with your unit, I would return or exchange without hesitation.

Back