Dell S-Line Screens - S2740L, S2440L, S2340M, S2340L, S2240M

What reports are conflicting this? Anyways according to nVidia control panel both by Graphics card and screen (S2440L) are HDCP compliant, does that qualify as confirmation?

http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1039431441&postcount=668

I have read various conflicting comments about the S-Line only supporting HDCP over DVI (not HDMI), and a chat session with a Dell guy didn't really clarify anything.

Confirmation would be to actually play some HDCP protected content - eg connect up a PS3 and play a Blu or something similar. That is about as confirmed as it gets.

So what is the outcome, do the 23 or 24 inch models have PWM or not?
Trying to buy a glossy or semiglossy (absolutely grain free) pwm free IPS/PVA monitor for work, and I have a hard time findind one ...

For everyone that doesn't know what exactly is the feeling you get when you use a PWM monitor, here is what I feel:

- When you look at your screen and you feel that no matter what you do the whites are too bright, means that your eyes are being fooled by the flicker to reduce the brightness adjustment, yet the amount of brightness thrown towards you is making white text on black background feel like a knife in your eyes after a while.
- When you look at the screen for 10 minutes, and then all of a sudden you look around you in the room(during day), and if you get the feeling that "maybe I should lower the brightness of the screen, look how comfortably less bright is everything around me", and you just see that you still have the brightness already fairly low, then you have PWM flickering.
- When you feel that all whites, (even if they seem dirty due to coating) feel like leaving you the impression of cheese white.

If I were to describe the general feeling of PWM flickering, would be that people eyes/brain have different ways of "calculating" how much your eyes should adjust to accept the incoming brightness, yet many seem to take into calculation the fact that it goes darker due to pwm flicker, and when the image comes, it feels overwhelming and extremely aggressive. When you will test a PWM Flickering free screen, you will feel that all of a sudden, your eyes don't feel anymore that everything is too bright, and that your eyes can adjust perfectly fine to current level of the birghtness displayed on the screen.

I really wish that no one ever used this technology in monitors, and I will give it a serious thought about how I would show the easiest way possible to test for flickering even at a store, by showing in a movie the speed at which I am moving my phone with camera in front of a screen, so that everyone i this world can see what manufacturers are doing, and can test themselves without a problem about this issue.
I do really hope that everyone that really wants people to have less eyes problems, and that is not fair to have such attitude from manufacturers, will have enough of a reaction so that in the future, we will have more fair companies, and punish the companies that don't play fair.

Does the 2340M or L has the same overshoot problem like the 2740L? Trying to decide to get the 2340m or getting the ViewSonic VX2370SMH-LED. According to NCX dosen't have overshoot problems at least the 27" version it is better panel than the Dell.

i would like to know this as well

the s2740l looks almost perfect, except for the overshoot/ghosting on it, although it does seem like you might not notice it during gaming, youtube videos arnt exactly the greatest but I never noticed it from watching videos, only when the screen was froze and it was pointed out did i notice it

Cerbul: The 23" have PWM. 300hz. According to two reviews. Dunno about the 24". Still up in the air, I guess. Its not the kind of monitor that users that bother reporting such things, buy. Something interesting here though: http://extrahardware.cnews.cz/recen...mny-levny-leskly-ips-bez-pwm-test/strana/0/10 .. its glossy and PWM free. 21.5", though.. but there is a similar 23" model thats about to come out on the market.

sauron18: From what I can tell all recent Dell IPS and VA monitors have bad to very bad overshoot and not possible to disable.

It's hard to enjoy something when being so anal about it.
The Dell Ultrasharp monitor overshoot issues are worst at best. Unless your considering a Lightboost TN monitor, you'll have overshoot on IPS panels.

Less I/O, less input lag. I'll shy away from the HDMI model.

I rather sit back and relax:

3x Dell S2340M 23" IPS
pJkNRXz.jpg

What do you mean with: That you will shy away from the HDMI model?

So are you saying that S2340M is better than S2340L ?

Also did anyone compare the S series with the U series in terms of the picture quality?

Thanks!!! :)

For most graphics cards you'll have to do a bit of a hack with the drivers to get them to display blacks properly with hdmi monitors.

It is hardly an issue is it: see this article and review, as for overshoot this reviewer states, 'Good pixel responsiveness which should be able to handle fast moving scenes in movies without issue. Perhaps some issues apparent with overshoot in certain transitions.' It doesn't sound that bad to me.

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/dell_s2440l.htm

Default Performance and Setup

IMPORTANT NOTE: Before we get into this section we need to make an important note about use of the HDMI port. The screen only features a single D-sub VGA and 2x HDMI port. Naturally you will probably want to use the digital HDMI connection if you can for optimum picture quality. If you have an NVIDIA graphics card and want to use the HDMI at all, whether a straight HDMI > HDMI connection or a DVI > HDMI conversion, you need to make a change to your graphics card settings to display the optimum picture. This is because by default the output range over HDMI is limited by the graphics card, and it can greatly limit the picture quality and in particular the black range and contrast ratio.

When connected via HDMI on an NVIDIA graphics card the screen by default will not look right, and the black range in particular is poor. In fact we obtained static contrast ratios of only ~400:1 in the default mode before making this change and originally thought the screen was at fault. A change is needed via your graphics card to ensure a full 0 - 255 output when using HDMI, rather than it being limited to a smaller output range of 16 - 235. This applies to NVIDIA cards but is only necessary when connecting to the HDMI port on the screen and is not needed when using D-sub. A similar change might be required when using an AMD graphics card but the setting is built into their graphics card drivers we believe. For NVIDIA cards the simplest way to ensure a full output range is to use the handy toggle utility available here. If you run the program you can select a full 0- 255 range quickly and easily.

TFT Central only looks at the car in PixPerAn, he doesn't play games or do any other tests.

PC Monitor's Review is useful:
http://pcmonitors.info/reviews/dell-s2440l

as is PRAD's:
http://www.prad.de/new/monitore/test/2012/test-dell-s2440l-teil6.html#Reaktionsverhalten

PRAD (Translated by Google) said:
Normally stays streaking within limits, but a very clear ghosting is often to identify. In games and when the mouse moves on Windows which leads to a sharp, black shadows of the moving object.

Is there any way to check if the monitor shows picture thru HDMI properly?

Thanks!!!

I am really torn now. I just got a s2340M and overall I love it. But the IPS glow is super annoying.
I have read that all IPS monitors have this "glow" is this true, or is this just because this is a cheap-o monitor?

For the $$$ it is pretty great, but the corner glow is borderline reason to return it. Such a shame too because when I first turned it on I had one massive nerdgasm. Then started playing Metro 2033 and the corner glow was ticking me off.

I am really torn now. I just got a s2340M and overall I love it. But the IPS glow is super annoying.
I have read that all IPS monitors have this "glow" is this true, or is this just because this is a cheap-o monitor?

For the $$$ it is pretty great, but the corner glow is borderline reason to return it. Such a shame too because when I first turned it on I had one massive nerdgasm. Then started playing Metro 2033 and the corner glow was ticking me off.

If it's glow, they all have it (except for A-TW models). It's possible some panels are worse than others in that regard, but I wouldn't expect any major difference even if you spent a bit more. The only thing I can recommend is lowering the brightness, as that should help a bit.

And if the 'glow' is there regardless of head movements/angles, it may be bleed instead.

Does the 2340M or L has the same overshoot problem like the 2740L? Trying to decide to get the 2340m or getting the ViewSonic VX2370SMH-LED. According to NCX dosen't have overshoot problems at least the 27" version it is better panel than the Dell.

It isn't noticiable unless you look for it and not something you'd ever see in standard operation.

Sounds like backlight bleed. It's not something normal.
I advise you to return it for another.

Not backlight bleed. the glare or glow follows the viewing "cone".
If I shift my position or sit farther back the glare is diminished.

Funny thing is, even with the glossy finish the screen looks better in a well lit room.
All in all I think I will keep it. The good outweighs the bad quite a bit.

I wish I could get used to this because in general the picture looks amazing.
Between the glossy screen and the ips glow I am questioning if I should return this.

Anyone else feel this way? Just wondering if I just need to get used to it or if I am wasting my time.

I wish I could get used to this because in general the picture looks amazing.
Between the glossy screen and the ips glow I am questioning if I should return this.

Anyone else feel this way? Just wondering if I just need to get used to it or if I am wasting my time.

How close are you sitting to the monitor? Push it back some (30" or so away) if you can and it should help with glow a bit. You can increase DPI settings in Windows if small text is then an issue.

So I did some digging around and thanks to the [H] folks here who posted some relevant info I started looking at the settings.

I found that my brightness settings were not high enough, and after upping the brightness and switching to GAME mode the IPS Glow is much more tolerable.
My big mistake was thinking that lowering the brightness would eliminate the problem, but with the wrong preset and low brightness I was making it worse. Now it is like a whole new world....”A whole new world!!!”.....dancing mermaids.

Why is the L so much more expensive than the M?

Is it purely due to the HDMI input?

As far as I know the L is the same except for HDMI, however, anecdotal reports suggest that the M is somehow BETTER than the L. Don’t know if that is true. The M is cheaper though!

I think I'm gonna bite on the M, but the prices are awfully high compared to their history and Amazon is out of stock.

Been waiting a week now for a sale to pop up somewhere.

Finally hooked up my 2240M. Coming from a Catleap it's a bit.... odd.

High-res pictures look amazing, but crap images really look like complete crap. I never noticed this on my other monitors. The jpeg compression artifacts really stand out. I'm guessing it means I'm getting better picture quality, but at the same time it's a bit irritating since I look at low-quality images a lot.

I'm also baffled as to what settings and presets to use. The Image Enhance setting is off on default, but it does make pictures look better. Not sure if I'm supposed to just leave it on though. The Cool preset looks like what I'm used to but image qualify suffers a bit compared to standard which seems reddish, but I'm guessing I'm just not used to the color temp. It also looks like the brightness automatically changes depending on what I'm looking at which seems like the Dynamic Contrast setting, but it's greyed out in the menu.

The left side's IPS glow is also pretty noticeable just like everyone else has said in this thread. I don't really notice it unless the screen is black/blackish, which it usually is, but I think I can deal with it.

Hey guys, I just ordered a s2240l and it should be coming in in a week or so.

I'm going to be connecting it to my macbook pro and what wondering what the ideal color settings for OS X are? I've heard it takes a bit of tweaking, thanks in advance.

So Glare aside the 27 inch is still good for games correct? Also can the Dell do 75hz?

Last edited:
Aright my s2240l came but the stand doesn't seem to want to go in all the way.. there;s a visible metal section sticking down that i don't see in photos. It just won't push down any further and i gave it some effort. I don't want to break it or anything.

Aright my s2240l came but the stand doesn't seem to want to go in all the way.. there;s a visible metal section sticking down that i don't see in photos. It just won't push down any further and i gave it some effort. I don't want to break it or anything.

Nevermind guys I got it, just had to lay it down flat and push up instead of pushing down while it's standing.

As for the color settings, I put it on multimedia instead of standard as to me it looks better, although I have no idea which one is more accurate color-wise.

How would I go about calibrating it?

Thanks.

So I have a mix of 2x2340L and 3x2340M. These are awesome monitors so far. Though I do get this weird after image sometimes (I guess ghosting) that happens when going from a light pixel to a dark or vice versa. It's not too distracting, but I noticed it while playing Proteus. On a good note, I can't tell these monitors are on when there's a black screen with normal day light. Though the vertical viewing angles aren't the best, but nothing that really detracts from the experience.

179702_10200576859196651_988761642_n.jpg

Sorry, crappy phone picture.

I've had a good bit of time with the 24" models and they're OK monitors but do not represent colors well and glossy is a no no..

But if you're strapped for cash these are okay in eyefinity or nvidia surround. But if your a gfx artist, cad user, 3d modeler/designer than I'd probably go their Uxx13 and 14 series and the Uxx12 and 13m are nice and affordable but do not offer 1+B colors, 1.67M colors is pretty standard these days.

Thanks. Is that easily noticaable though or do i have to go looking for it?

It's been reported that it is very noticeable, but I haven't seen one firsthand, so don't know. I guess it also depends on how picky you are and how big a gamer. suiken_2mieu mentioned it occurring just above on the 23" models. Some people may not mind it ... for others it could really bug them.

I can confirm that the monitor Dell S2340L HAS PWM FLICKERING AT ALL BRIGHTNESS LEVELS EXCEPT 100%. It was bought in EUROPE.

The monitor has PWM flickering, even though I was confirmed by an USA technical support from DELL that S2340L does NOT use PWM flickering technology.
(forget the cross hatching part, is more of a part of contrast adjustment).

Awesome Colors, glossiness is awesome in this monitor, no backlight bleeding, very small amount of ips glow (almost non existant, really strange, never seen an ips with so low ips glow), really well calibrated. Almost non existent color banding, and ying yang calibration image is perfectly visible on all numbers. Really awesome screen.

WHY would they ADD the stupid PWM flickering???? Is beyound my power of understanding. I can only think really bad and nasty things about whoever invented and implemented this in a computer monitor.
I think is about time to stand up and make this issue known to everyone in the world, so that we can REMOVE it once and for all.

Last edited:
Thanks. Is that easily noticaable though or do i have to go looking for it?

It's not noticeable in regular use, I play games on mine all the time. The 27" is an excellent monitor for the price with no PWM at any brightness level, VESA compatbility and a solid IPS panel.

Back