Dell Quarterly Report

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
All depends on who you hear it from. ;)

Dell's earnings are in and I know that while the media keeps telling me how bad off we all are, seems as though people spent their money on something other than $4 a gallon gas. I suggest you take time to digest the whole page if this is of interest to you. Some good points towards the bottom.

Yes, the media talked up a recession, which is two quarters of retraction, and we didn't have that. At some point, all this negativity becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. The media reports the economy as bad, people start believing it - even if they aren't personally suffering - and lose confidence.

Well, the economy is back at 3.3% growth.

I like that revenue increase is behind unit increase. Coming from Dell, it bespeaks the fact that the average build cost for a decent system as passed on to the average Joe is actually falling. Although, looking at the costs for some of their new 24" widescreen models at ~$300 compared to a few years ago when several times that was the norm speaks to a similar trend (at least for LCDs of established size :D).

I think we can credit a lot of their success to aggressiveness in pricing/service (especially for the business sector, aye?) as well as in trying to keep up with trends, e.g. with their new Tablet PC and so forth. It's nice to see a big business, you know, not screwing up horribly and then looking to the government for bailout billions. While the image here is largely colored by the spin Dell wants to put on it...it's not bad to look at.

The media reports the economy as bad, people start believing it - even if they aren't personally suffering - and lose confidence.

Tell that to my 25% rent hike (and similar trends in most areas of the city, such that moving isn't a real solution), increased utility rates, increased tuition rate, and increased food costs. Fortunately, I don't drive much, so the insane gas prices don't get added to that much...other than that they make shipping higher and almost everything gets shipped at some point.

Thanks for your armchair economics, it makes my budget feel much better. :D

(Not that I'm an expert on the subject either, but c'mon - tell it to my bills!)

Coming from Dell, it bespeaks the fact that the average build cost for a decent system as passed on to the average Joe is actually falling.

Yeah, that average Joe fella, he gets all the breaks, I wish I were only that lucky. ;)

Looks good for Dell, and with the holiday season approaching and their "Netbook" soon to be released (if the rumors hold true, while the rumored release date of August 22nd turned out to be a fizzle) it could be a big one for them once again.

Wow, after reading this, it is obvious the economy is fine, and has been fine!

WTF are some of you smoking? How the hell did you think that when the economy is down, that all business have to do bad?

4th quarter 2007, and 1st 2008 had a crap consumer spending of 2% growth. The last time it was that low? during the last official recession of 2001. 2nd quarter of this year was projected to be a slowdown(starting the recession), to counter this two things happened: FEDS continued to lower key interest rates, and the economic stimulus package was sent out for consumers to spend back into the economy.

They recently laid off about 8,800 people.. It's just wonderful how they were able to maximize their shareholder value. Sure, they posted better numbers, but I think with all the unemployment coming from them closing a plant in Texas, it would only make the recession worse.

They recently laid off about 8,800 people.. It's just wonderful how they were able to maximize their shareholder value. Sure, they posted better numbers, but I think with all the unemployment coming from them closing a plant in Texas, it would only make the recession worse.

Global Consumer revenues grew 28% on unit growth of 53%, and BRIC revenues were up 46% on unit growth of 41%.

Lay offs help margin, not revenue. If profit was up but revenue flat, then you might have a point.

That being said, a single multi-national company's results are hardly a good indicator of U.S. economic health.

Its an election year. You can make anything say what you want it say.
I'm not saying the economy is doing well or not.
Just that I wouldn't trust CNN or Fox to give me a real idea of what the economy is like at a given time.

Glad to see Dell is going well. They do a good job of utilizing global production and have pretty good customer service.

So, when is the government going to call them in and ask them to explain their earnings when "average joe" is barely treading water, like they do with Exxon every quarter????

How is posting lower net revenue on higher sales numbers posting good numbers? Their longtime race to the bottom by undercutting their competitors (HP, Apple, etc) has backfired and bit them in the ass, now they've become a victim of their own practices. I'm curious to see how much farther they have to go to compensate for their now razor thin profit margins.

Back