Dell PSU Question...

Welsper

Gawd
I use my former computer (Dell Dimension 4500) as a fileserver/test computer. Recently, the PSU has been making a buzzing sound, which I traced to the fan on the back of it; I am wondering if I can replace the PSU with a standard Cooler Master unit I had from a previous build (350w for the CM, 250w for the Dell), but I have heard that Dell uses (or used to use) a proprietary pinout for their PSU to mobo 12v connector, it looks the same as a normal PSU plug, but its wired differently. Any answers? If it helps, it was built around June-August of 2002. Thanks for your help :)

The 4500 uses a standard ATX 12v PSU.

Nearly every proprietary PSU in Dell systems date back to the P3 and prior era.

pxc said:
The 4500 uses a standard ATX 12v PSU.

Nearly every proprietary PSU in Dell systems date back to the P3 and prior era.
Sweet, thanks for the quick reply, I'll yank my 350w and put it into the Dell later *hopes for good luck* Also, any ideas on how to fix the buzzing in the PSU cheaply/free? I can stick the little straw thingy from a can of compressed air into the fan (probably not a terribly good idea), and it will stop the fan, and therefore stop the buzzing, then the fan will restart, and not buzz for a few moments(perhaps beause its going slower than when it buzzes?) and then will start right up buzzing again...I need the PSU to be fairly quiet, as either it or the Cooler Master unit will be going into a P3 system I'm building for my little sister from spare parts, and I don't think I can bankroll another fairly HQ PSU for it or replace it with my CM one, because I need the server to be quiet :( ...could a spot of WD-40 or 3-in-1 machine oil fix it? (the fan still spins fine, it just buzzes like crazy sometimes)

if you don't mind soldering 2 wires, you can replace the 80mm fan for $2 or so. I've done that to several old PSUs that came with cheap sleeve bearing fans which wear out.

pxc said:
if you don't mind soldering 2 wires, you can replace the 80mm fan for $2 or so. I've done that to several old PSUs that came with cheap sleeve bearing fans which wear out.
Good idea, though I don't have a soldering iron...The CM PSU works perfectly, nice and quiet, excep for the fact that my Dell's old one didn't have a switch on the back of it (to turn it off/on), so the switch is depressed by the back of the case, keeping the computer from starting with the PSU in place and the case closed...I've tried using an adjustable wrench I found in my room to pry the metal away a bit (no dremel and I definitely don't think my dad would like me using his hacksaw to cut it :mad:), although, he might have better tools (IE bigger pliers, or maybe a pipe wrench, I think I could do it with that >:D) I'll check tomorrow....worse come to worse, perhaps I could just use slightly longer screws? *shrug* I'm hesitant to involve my parents in this, even though they'd likely be able to help, because they think I'll break something (they happen to remember when I was a Jr. Geek and I tried to frankenstein a P190 and a 486DX together....didn't work...(later learned the CMOS battery was dead), but we'll see....any further advice gereatly appreciated :)

You could either use a tool (like a Dremel perhaps) to cut off part of the metal on the case, or if the switch on the PSU is attached with screws, you could open the PSU, remove the screws from the switch, and try to pull the switch back into the unit.

Heh, no dremel, and the switch is not screwed in, as far as I can tell :/ Damn, if only I had the right bloody tools, I'd even be willing to sit at it and hack away with a metal file :( *le sigh* Would longer screws, if they're not *too* long, work? I just need to hold it in place, doesn't really need to be pretty...Though I'd be hesitant to go sticking long screws in a PSU >_> Anyway...I could possibly use bigger pliers to bend the sheet metal behind the switch, and give it enough clearance, and kinda tear up my case in the process, which is what I've been doing, but I don't have a big enough set of pliers (read: one with long enough jaws to bend the ammount of metal I need)...so yeah, I'm kinda thinking I'm SOL :)
Edit:
Would tinsnips work? I need to do this kinda under the parent's radar, so to speak, so if anyone would be a kind heart and snailmail me a pair or something, that'd be lovely :) (I'm only half-kidding about someone mailing me some :p, I can probably get some for my birthday or sth....)
Edit: I've gotten a mate to agree to give me tinsnips for my birthday, any tips on using them? :confused:

Back