Dell Precision WorkStation 620 mt

insanarchist

[H]ard|Gawd
Hey, I've been reading the forums for years but never got around to joining until now. w00t.

Anyway, the company my cousin works for just got rid of a bunch of old non/semi-functional computers and guess who picked them up? I got 5 in total, and with those 5 I got about 10 scsi wide 160 hdds, 3 controller cards, 5 mobos (all server and thus have all those fun extras like 8 ram slots and whatnot), etc. 4 didn't come with any ram, so I'm leaving those for another day, but one I DID get working was an old Dell Precision 620 (dual 1Ghz p3, 1.5GB RD800 ram, dual Atlas 36.7gb scsi hdd, etc). My question is this... supposing I can get the raid to work (0 or 0+1, depending on what the controller allows; its an adaptec ARO-1302 w/ 64 mb ram), should I find something productive to do with it or should I just sell it whole/parted out?

that would be a great file server,

i don't know how well it would be for a game server

if ya don't find out soon, shoot me a pm on a price, and pics ;)

I just found a couple Seagate 18.21 GB SCSI drives (st318203lw) and I am gonna try to set them up with the other ones in some sort of RAID array... any suggestions?

(that's a total of 2 atlas 36gb and 2 cheetah 18.21 gb)

I run a game server at LANs on a Dual 1ghz P3 and it runs just great, and i've only got a gig of PC-100 RAM, so ATM my CPUs are only running at 733mhz. With that setup w/ the 1.5gb RDRAM and full-speed CPUs I'd say you'd have a dandy server

keep one, and set it up as your local domain controler/file server and fold (team 3074 team 2cpu the best little team on the net) and sell the rest to fund your new dual xeon/opti :D

hah, well let me take a look at what [H]ardware I have here... (the problem is, I have no real easy way of testing any of this stuff, so either I find a way to do so (aka, buy some pc100 and 133 ecc ram... hell, that'll be hard to FIND, let alone BUY.. jeez...)

(will list in a sec here...)

Okie dokie, here are the HDD's (that I'm not currently using)...

4 x Seagate "Cheetah ST318203LW" 10,000 RPM 18.21GB (Ultra2 SCSI Wide) link

2 x Fujitsu "MAJ3182MP" 10,000 RPM 18.2GB (U160 SCSI 68pin) link

1 x Quantum (Dell labeled) "Atlas 10k II" 10,000 RPM 18.4GB (Ultra3 U160) link

and the controller cards...

3 x Adaptec AAA-131U2 (Supports RAID 0, 1, 0/1, 5. 68 pin LVD internal, 50 pin internal, external 68 pin connectors.)

and the motherboards...

3 x Tyan S1867 "thunder 2500" w/ optional scsi link

and SUPER UBER INSANO FAST GRAPHICS CARDS!!!?

2 x 3dLabs Oxygen GVX1 (will get pix soon in graphics card thread...)

So that's what I got. While I consider myself pretty knowledgeable (sp?) about non-server/corporate pc's, I don't know much about servers or scsi drives or raid other than the obvious stuff (10,000 rpm = teh good, u160 = faster than 80, etc). If anybody out there has any advice for me, just shout it out!

My only advice for you right now would be to trim down your sig to <=10 lines before a mod sees you :)

Damn, you just got some sweet stuff there !!

A dual P3 1Ghz has more or less the same torque as a nice Athlon XP 2000+ I'd say ... if software supports SMP

that would make a nice linux game server ( for whatever game has a linux implementation of it's server side :)

Hey, I just got pix up. If anyone wants to make me an offer, PM me!

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Stats for those that missed them:

Dual P3 1Ghz Processors
1.5 GB PC800 RD Ram (8 slots total, 2 open)
2 x 37 GB Atlas 10,000RPM SCSI drives
2 x 18.7 GB Cheetah 10,000 RPM SCSI drives
Upgraded RAID controller card (64 MB onboard RAM)
Oxygen GVX1 Video Card (has an agp4x slot)

Yeah, I'm using it for a workstation now, but I think I might sell it due to "cash flow inconsistencies (sp?)" :p

Back