Dell PowerEdge T20 Xeon Server - $249

These come and go pretty often, but always a good deal. I do these all the time for people, add in a $25 windows key from Kinguin.com and you have a solid setup, or do Linux for even cheaper. I have had one for some time back when they came with the Pentium CPU, still running strong as a Plex server.

I purchased one earlier today for $266.43 . This one is headed to my parent's house as a freenas / plex box. They're great little machines for anyone who's interested.

If anyone plans to replace the memory in theirs, let me know if you would be interested in selling the 4gb stick.

ordered one....will use it to replace my aging plex server

ordered one....will use it to replace my aging plex server

I bought one too. Didn't you buy a TS140 awhile back? Only reason I remember is that I did as well but ended up giving mine away to someone in need. Probably going to load this up with XPEnology.

I bought one too. Didn't you buy a TS140 awhile back? Only reason I remember is that I did as well but ended up giving mine away to someone in need. Probably going to load this up with XPEnology.

Yes I did...I think it was a TS140 anyway....whatever the Dell deal was at that time , but yeah, I never used it and sold it still sealed in the box about 6 months later....made someone very happy cause I sold it cheap, just like I bought it...I may even have lost money on it :)

Just got a T20 (well my G3320 is leftover), I am looking to make a NAS since I have 6 2TB drives laying around. Is XEPnology safe to use? I'm stuck between XEP, UNRAID and FreeNAS. Any guidance is appreciated.

I bought the Lenovo TS140 the same time Crosshairs did and put XPEnology on it and loved it. It's basically the same config. I had 2 x 6TB drives in it and all was well until someone needed something, then I gave it away. I had no issues with XPEnology. Perhaps someone else with more experience with it might be able to chime in.

Just to make sure I'm reading this right:

Out of the box it's got a 1TB internal with room for 4 more 3.5" drives in a raid set?

So I may have found a pretty sweet deal on memory upgrades for this...

4GB sticks for $6.90 each. I ordered 3 last night, and with shipping the total came to $25.45.

http://www.memoryamerica.com/4gb-16...1-35v-low-voltage-240-pin-a7303660-ddr3-.html

To be safe, I paid with my AMEX through PayPal. Just got the shipping confirmation through Stamps.com (USPS site), so it looks like they at least shipped something. Looks like it should be here by the end of the week. I'll update when it comes in and I have a chance to test it out.

So I may have found a pretty sweet deal on memory upgrades for this...

4GB sticks for $6.90 each. I ordered 3 last night, and with shipping the total came to $25.45.

http://www.memoryamerica.com/4gb-16...1-35v-low-voltage-240-pin-a7303660-ddr3-.html

To be safe, I paid with my AMEX through PayPal. Just got the shipping confirmation through Stamps.com (USPS site), so it looks like they at least shipped something. Looks like it should be here by the end of the week. I'll update when it comes in and I have a chance to test it out.

Took a chance and did the same. Same total. Will update. Oh and thanks!

That is a ridiculously good deal if you only need 16GB in the machine. I already ordered 16gb (2x8GB), but I may order three of those as well and keep the Crucial memory for another machine.

The rams guys just refunded my money. They said they were out of stock and didn't look like they could get more. Too bad, great deal.

I bought three w/ the old pentium in them, and they are great headless plex servers. I just run W10 and remote in with chrome remote desktop. Works great!
Interesting considering they didn't delist the item. They simply raised the price to $23.10 / stick...
No, they ran out of the ram sticks with the lower price tag on them... duh.

Here are the exact words from the guys: "We have tried to get these parts and were unsuccessful. We have cancelled your order and refunded your PayPal account in full. "
Oh well, no huge loss. This is my second T20 and it's still a great deal even though I have to look elsewhere for extra RAM now.
I picked up a new and sealed GTX 1050 Ti from Craigslist for $110 so I've been very lucky with deals lately. I can't complain too much.

Here are the exact words from the guys: "We have tried to get these parts and were unsuccessful. We have cancelled your order and refunded your PayPal account in full. "
Oh well, no huge loss. This is my second T20 and it's still a great deal even though I have to look elsewhere for extra RAM now.
I picked up a new and sealed GTX 1050 Ti from Craigslist for $110 so I've been very lucky with deals lately. I can't complain too much.

That sucks. They shipped my memory but it will takes it's sweet time to get here. Ordered on November 29th. Can't complain...Parja hooked up the deal.

December 1, 2016 21:12 ANAHEIM,CA,92899 ARRIVED AT USPS ORIGIN FACILITY
December 1, 2016 19:57 IRVINE,CA,92618 ACCEPTED AT USPS ORIGIN FACILITY
November 30, 2016 PRE-SHIPMENT INFO SENT TO USPS, USPS AWAITING ITEM

Got my server today and checked out the memory. I got Hynix this time, so I did some digging and found a fairly decent deal at Newegg of all places, but in the marketplace:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA65C4UH3097

Hynix HMT451U7BFR8A 4GB DDR3 PC3-12800 1600MHz ECC CL11 Desktop and Server RAM Memory $15.99

That is the exact same part number from the stick in my server, so I got 3 more to fill all the slots. The total was less than $50, and shipping was free. Now to cross my fingers and hope I get 3 sticks that are what they say they are, and that they work.

Bummer more of you guys couldn't get in on that RAM deal. Got my sticks in yesterday and popped them in. They're RAMAXEL brand, which is apparently the biggest DRAM manufacturer in China, and it looks like they make Elpida brand memory as well.

Fired up Memtest86 earlier this morning. It's ECC memory and running at 1600MHz with 11-11-11-28 timings. Completed one full pass so far with no errors.

Got my server today and checked out the memory. I got Hynix this time, so I did some digging and found a fairly decent deal at Newegg of all places, but in the marketplace:

Hynix HMT451U7BFR8A 4GB DDR3 PC3-12800 1600MHz ECC CL11 Desktop and Server RAM Memory $15.99

That is the exact same part number from the stick in my server, so I got 3 more to fill all the slots. The total was less than $50, and shipping was free. Now to cross my fingers and hope I get 3 sticks that are what they say they are, and that they work.

That looks to be a pretty good option as well. Always nice to keep the sticks matched.

that is a good deal, thanks for the heads up - I did the same, btw same stick same seller on amazon for $25/ea

http://www.amazon.com/Hynix-HMT451U7BFR8A-PB-PC3-12800-1600MHz-Server/dp/B00U07R77M

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
What video cards will work in this machine? I got an HP ML350 and the only video card i can get to post in it is a Geforce 8800GTX.

What video cards will work in this machine? I got an HP ML350 and the only video card i can get to post in it is a Geforce 8800GTX.

That would probably depend on alot of factors, however you would need to get a proper PSU first, the stock one will not support a bigger GPU, it also has limited connections, and you will need to get a 24pin to Dell 8 pin connector for the mobo to use the new PSU with it.

That would probably depend on alot of factors, however you would need to get a proper PSU first, the stock one will not support a bigger GPU, it also has limited connections, and you will need to get a 24pin to Dell 8 pin connector for the mobo to use the new PSU with it.

My dads lenovo was like that, but i got an RX 460 to work in it (has no 6 pin connector)

My dads lenovo was like that, but i got an RX 460 to work in it (has no 6 pin connector)

Many people do, but assuming this T20 has the same PSU my older one does, it will not support anything but the lowest powered GPUs, even then, most of the power is on the 5V and the PSU is only a 200 something watt unit. That and I also don't think mine has anything other than SATA power connectors. Best thing to do would be to get another PSU, they are quite cheap these days for 4-600W units, and the adapter cable is about 3 bucks on ebay.

I'd second BlueFireIce. The cost of these servers is usually skimping on corners where they can, especially the PSU.
Buy a 500W and get the adapters you need.

Can you install Windows 7 or Windows 10 on one of these? The driver download page only has server OS.

Many people do, but assuming this T20 has the same PSU my older one does, it will not support anything but the lowest powered GPUs, even then, most of the power is on the 5V and the PSU is only a 200 something watt unit. That and I also don't think mine has anything other than SATA power connectors. Best thing to do would be to get another PSU, they are quite cheap these days for 4-600W units, and the adapter cable is about 3 bucks on ebay.
Even then, case airflow is low on this unit.

Why try to turn a economy car into a monster truck? Better to use the T20 for what it was meant to be, a very cheap, small, silent, server or even HTPC if you use again a small silent video card. I have some of these, and they are great as a headless server, very low power draw.

You could probably toss in a RX 460, as those are pretty low power draw IIRC, and get all the power from the PCIe slot.

Can you install Windows 7 or Windows 10 on one of these? The driver download page only has server OS.
Yes, both. Windows 10 is easier, no drivers to install it just works out of the box. Then I just turned off the built in AV, Cortana, set performance settings to best performance over visuals, and works great, and I just access it from anywhere with Google Chrome Remote Desktop.

I recommend you use the four 3.5" slots up with regular drives, in which case for the SSD boot drive(s), you'd want a little PCIe sata card, a couple cables, and a power splitter. Details are in this sub if you search T20.

Guys here with extra RAM sticks can hook you up cheap so you have 16GB of RAM.

I tested an EVGA GTX 1050 Ti SC, ( no power connector), in one of these and it worked fine for my limited testing. That seems to be about the max video card you could run in one of these because of the low wattage power supply. Still, a pretty good deal overall. $249 for the server, add some extra RAM, then the video card and an OS, then you are off gaming on the cheap.

Anybody find a way to control the fan speeds on this thing? The only settings are "Run really slow unless the cpu is overheating" or "All fans balls out 100% loud as fuck!" Since I'm rockin' 5 hard drives, I'd just like to bump up the "idle" speed of the case fan a bit to keep the drives cooler when they're all spun up.

There are PCI Slot cover fan controllers, you could stick one of them in.

Yeah, I suppose that wouldn't be a bad idea...I might even have one of those somewhere already. Just need to get a SATA power to Molex adapter since this thing has 0 power connectors outside of that.

Back