Dell PowerEdge T110-II $341 + $25 shipping + tax

PanzerBoxb

2[H]4U
Ripped from FW

Link

Bump the base configuration over $799 and use coupon 7GV42XFL7MRWC0 to knock an additional 33% off.

Xeon 1220 w/ 4GB of RAM is about $341.
Xeon 1230 w/ 2GB of RAM is about $347.

Last edited:
Worth noting: the 1220 does not feature hyperthreading, and Dell memory tends to see a lot of markup. Overall I'd suggest the latter of the two and grabbing memory kits from Newegg or elsewhere. Only downside to that is that their 2GB configuration is only one stick, so you have to take a crap shoot at trying to match it for dual channel. On the upside, going from 2GB to 4GB bumps the Dell price about thirty five bucks (even after the further discount), and a full 4GB (2x2GB) kit from crucial is only forty bucks.

Unit takes ECC DDR3 PC3-8500 or ECC DDR3 PC3-10600

Hmm, does this thing have PCI-E x16? You could stick a graphics card in it and have a decent gaming rig for $500.

Awww =(
Hmm, it does have a x8 full-length slot though; should be fast enough for a midrange card.

This is an excellent home/small office server, especially when paired with a hypervisor and loaded up with a decent chunk of RAM.

If you want a cheap gaming box, I suggest a buildout based around the Phenom X4 840, which Microcenter has on sale for sixty bucks. All told you'll probably come out with a much better gaming rig with like or better parts the whole way round for about the same cost, if not less. Yes, this might work as a gaming rig, and yes you could probably drive using only your feet if you really tried. Just because you can doesn't make either a good idea though. :)

http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0371961

Last edited:
would this be a good home server to feed media to htpc and such?

I'm considering this as a cheapo replacement for our old single core P4 based xeon win2000 AD server replacement, i wonder if i can reuse the fiber card i have, or would i need to purchase a pcie based one.

Thanks, Hmm then that kills the cheapo upgrade option for me fibre cards are usually 400+ :/

Omegas:
Should work fine, especially with the Xeon if you're going to be doing any transcoding. It would probably not make a good htpc itself though, as it's multimedia features are scant (as would be expected on a server :) ).
Pitbull:
The Owner's manual only mentions four PCIe slots, so I expect you'd need to purchase a new one.
https://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/pet110II/en/HOM/PDF/T110.pdf

Thanks, Hmm then that kills the cheapo upgrade option for me fibre cards are usually 400+ :/

True, but you'll probably have move to PCIe eventually, might as well do it when the server's cheap. That P4's only going to get more and more painful after all. ;)

Yes, this might work as a gaming rig, and yes you could probably drive using only your feet if you really tried. Just because you can doesn't make either a good idea though. :)[/url]

I just found my new Sig line!!! :cool::D:p

Not too bad of a base deal for small server/home office stuff. Thanks for the tip OP, I don't need one now but never know when someone will call needing a cheap server setup.

Thanks for this thread ... I saw the coupon in email and believed them when they said
"exclusive" - usually means once used thats it.

Seems this is a multi-use code.

I have the Gen 1 version and they are great virtualization platforms for home labs
and even a small business. The Gen 2 should be even better with the 32GB memory
capacity.

I don't work for Dell ...but damn these server are the best bang for buck!!!

Watch for deals on the Vostro 260 & 460. The 260's biggest drawback is only 2 DIMM slots, but they're both great PCs for the money.

They've got a 20% coupon (RZ7JG6?KJT8LFP) for refurbished Vostro desktops right now. I saw a 460 with the following in it for about $570 + tax/shipping.

Code:
Processor	Processor: Intel Core i7-2600 processor (8MB Cache, 3.4GHz)
Operating System	Genuine Windows 7 Professional
Hard Disk Drive	-1.5 TB SATA II Hard Drive (7200RPM)
		-1.5 TB SATA II Hard Drive (7200RPM) 2nd Drive
Memory		4 GB DDR3 ECC SDRAM 1333MHz (2 DIMMs)
Media Bay		16X DVD ROM Drive
Video		NVIDIA GT 420 1GB DDR3 M207

How do you get $341 + $25 Shipping +tax?

Id love to get a few of these for test labs at work.

Without the coupon is gives me 35% off, and then with it its only 33%, were they stacking?

How do you get $341 + $25 Shipping +tax?

Id love to get a few of these for test labs at work.

Without the coupon is gives me 35% off, and then with it its only 33%, were they stacking?

Yes, the 33% was stacking with an existing discount. I do not have the exact breakout handy at this moment. They appear to have changed it up a bit now so you are no longer getting the screaming deal price. If I see something similar in the future I will ensure it is posted here.

Back