Dell Poweredge 2500SC how much is it worth?

R

ring.of.steel

specs are as follow.

2 x pIII 933mhz
3x 18gb Seagate cheetahs scsi 160
1gb ecc
adaptec 39160
adaptec 29160
floppy
cd
1x scsi cdrw

Thanks

its the one with the metal door thing on the front.

ebay says less than $200.

You'd probably get ~$150 on a forum for it.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Its a nice server if you have a use for it. I just bought a 2450 for $175 with 4x 18g 10k scsi and I'm quite happy with it.

Are those Seagte Cheetah's 10k or 15k? Will it take 15k drives?

I might pay $125ish shipped, let me know if you're interested.

edit: Forgot to mention, those are P3 Xeon's right? Just double checking.

they are normal p3's. the drives are 15k scsi 160.
thanks

Yes but they are normal p3's and not xeons so they have a smaller l2 cache.
15k is def nice tho, wonder how they'd compare to the new raptors?

edit: Can we get some full pictures? (Inside and outside) The number of mem slots empty/filled, hard drive bays, motherboard expansion slots, etc.)

They wouldn't compare well to a raptor 150 at all. About the only area they'd do well would be random access time and possibly i\o a sec, but I'd be surprised if the raptor's didn't win in i\o's a second.

Here's a graph from a Raptor 160 vs a 15k SCSI drive.

Raptor_160_vs_SCSI_15k.jpg

WOW, destroyed!

Jeeze I thought those 15k drives would have been a better competetor.

That kind of just killed the whole deal...dang

Unless this was an absolute low price I wouldn't personally buy it. Good luck selling

WOW, destroyed!

Jeeze I thought those 15k drives would have been a better competetor.

That kind of just killed the whole deal...dang

Unless this was an absolute low price I wouldn't personally buy it. Good luck selling

it's not all about transfer rates...check out the seek times. The 15k is almost 40% faster in that regard. It's all about a balance of seek times and transfer rates.

A drive with a longer seek time but more efficient buffer strategy and other optimizations for a desktop workload can potentially outperform the pure muscle of 15K SCSI.
http://www.storagereview.com/php/be...&devID_1=277&devID_2=279&devID_3=321&devCnt=4

But isn't buffer strategy something that the raptors are notoriously weak at? Maybe they've changed, but IIRC at least the older raptors (such as my older WD740GD) had quite poor buffer algorithms.

And I thought we were talking about this server's performance under server workloads? If we were discussing it's suitability as a desktop system then I was not aware of that. (and notice in your chart that the raptor gets demolished in the multi-user section)

Then again it's entirely possible that I have no idea what I'm talking about :D In which case I concede.

Yes, but this particular server has U160s not the 320s. Nothing touches the 320s out of the ATA line up

Back