Dell Powerconnect Switches question

fifthgear

Weaksauce
so my power connect 3024 that i bought off ebay should be here tomorrow
smile.gif

I have little to no experience in programing switches, so my question is...
Do these follow cisco's code styles, or are they more of a custom type like that of Extreme? any input would be apreciated

I can't speak for the 3024, but my Dell Powerconnect 2724 has a web GUI.

Check the manual (which you should be able to download from Dell's website) and I'm sure it'll discuss it there.

yea from what i can tell the 2xxx's and lower numbers have web gui's

the 3xxx's and higher have both GUI and standard console

but im just wondering what "standard" they used for the console programing part....i cant think of the freakin term right now....

The User Guide said:
Privileged EXEC Mode
Privileged access can be protected to prevent unauthorized access and ensure operating parameters.
Passwords are displayed on the screen, and are case sensitive.
To access and list the Privileged EXEC mode commands:
1 At the prompt type enable and press <Enter>.
2 When a password prompt displays, enter the password and press <Enter>.
The Privileged EXEC mode prompt displays as the device host name followed by #.
For example:
console#
To list the Privileged EXEC commands, type a question mark at the command prompt.
To return from Privileged EXEC mode to User EXEC mode, type disable and press
<Enter>.
The following example illustrates accessing privileged EXEC mode and then returning to the
User EXEC mode:
console> enable
Enter Password: ******
console#
console# disable
console>
Use the exit command to move back to a previous mode. For example, from Interface
Configuration mode to Global Configuration mode, and from Global Configuration mode to
Privileged EXEC mode.
im trying to figure out how to access this. I cant figure it out, and dont want to call dell since i will be charged

MYPEARL said:
not to be rude but you sohuld of bought an un-managed switch.

Why should he have? Gotta learn somehow :)

fifthgear: I agree with Malk-a-mite, read the manual and you'll get most of what you need to know. The CLI on the 3024 is very much like Cisco's, but not 100% identical. If the switch was previously configured (which I'm sure it was), you'll need to connect via the console port and follow Dell's password reset procedure. Unless the seller gave you the password....

There's no reason to call tech support, you can find all the info you need in free documentation from their website.

Back