Dell PowerConnect switches, opinions?

Jake

Supreme [H]ardness
Hey,

Some friends and I are thinking of picking up one of these: http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?c=us&cs=04&kc=6W300&l=en&oc=pct2624&s=bsd for our lan partys that we are having.

Wondering if any one has had any experience with Dell's own switches and networking equipment. Or horror stories if that is what they are.

Thanks

Jake

PS Yes we want gig, the majority of us have it onboard anyhow (nice for sharing patches and mods and stuff since they are all getting huge now). And 2nd there are some mucho rebates on them now. $50 instant and $125 mail in. Or something like that.

I would expect any more performance than an 24 port netagear. depends on what your using it for. I would put an low end dell in any real business network. Their high end stuff is "ok" but not for the price. for the price i'd stick with HP procurve switches. I just don't think they can be beat.

There's nothing wrong with the 5212/5224's. We use them to uplink our Cisco access layer switches into our 15 servers. Never had a problem with them in about 1 1/2 years. The GUI sucks and the CLI sucks, but you get used to it. They're fast too.

Great switches for the money. At least they were when we got them, I haven't looked at the price recently.

Thanks for the word guys, these are the unmanaged ones. Don't need any hassle with CLI or ACL when I'm trying to get my frag on. :)

I just bought the 16 port one a couple months ago for really cheap. Haven't had any problems at all. It's faster than any switch I've used before, especially Netgear ones.

I'll second what Minishark had to say; I too purchased a 2216 several months ago when we moved into our new house. It is indeed faster than any switch I've used in the past -- including the Netgear FS105 and it's 8port predecessor (can't remember model, sorry.)

If you really want/need GigE then I'd say more power to you -- but you can pick up a 2224 for a third the cost ($99) or even a 2324 (24 ports with +2 GigE Uplinks) for $119 (It's on sale right now for $69 but that's after a $30 instant and $50 mail-in rebate) if you're willing to settle for 100BaseT instead of GigE.

Yeah the info page doesn't have the sale price info. I missed it too when my friend asked me about it.

There a great price for the money. We replaced about 13 3com hubs with 8 Dells all connected with Fiber Uplinks. They have worked great for over 2 years now.

Count me in with the fans of Dell switches. They have just about the best cost per GB port that I've found.

-MrD

i have a 16 port dell powerconnect and the only trouble it has caused me is it stoped working when it got too hot

so i have a heat sync just sitting on top of it now and it doesnt happen any more.....

if you need any cheap gigabit cards I have a bunch for sale here. Yes I do like powerconnect switches. Its what we have the cards like this that we actually used at work hooked up to.

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=818839

its the dell recommended card when you buy these I believe.

I also have an 8 port gigabit hub thats never been used that I could sell for cheap with them but your probably better off going through dell for that.

I'm in MN too so we could probably work out something for a drop off.

They're ON SALE right now with up to $150 or $125 rebates on the GigE ones!

My friend ordered the 24 port one. Now its just a waiting game for the next lan we can try it out at.

Back