Dell PowerConnect, Netgear or Linksys Switch?

SacredHP

n00b
OK everyone - I want to purchase a 24-port unmanaged switch for my every-growing home gaming LAN (currently with 10 computers). I want to restrict my choices to Dell, Netgear and Linksys. HP's ProCurve and Cisco's lineup are phenomenal, but I don't want to pay hundreds for all the bells and whistles that I'll never use (even for a used one).

I like the Dell PowerConnect series, but are they truly fast enough and are they quality pieces of equipment? I have had nothing but good experiences with Netgear products, but almost all their switches have NOISEY fans and I can't handle that 24/7.

So, with that in mind, whch do you recommend and why? I have read through many of the posts, but none have facilitated me in making a solid decision. THANKS!

I have a 2216 right next to me, a 2224 in the core at work, a 2324 at one client's, and about half a dozen 2608's at another client's. I've never had a single problem with any of them.

I may be accused of being a Dell whore, but I love their products. I haven't had any experience with any kind of managed switch, so I'm not as much of an authority there. However, you probably don't need a managed switch anyway.

I have both a Linksys EF4124 and a Dell 2124. The Linksys has been a workhorse and has been flawless. The Dell is the new addition to the family and so far has also been flawless

I've got a pair of 2024's powering most of my network. So far, no troubles and they've been running for the better part of a year now...

Veeb0rg said:
I have both a Linksys EF4124 and a Dell 2124. The Linksys has been a workhorse and has been flawless. The Dell is the new addition to the family and so far has also been flawless

How does your EF4124 handle itself under large loads, like large file transfers between 10 or more computers at the same time? I like the look (and especially the bright LEDs!!) , but can't find out any detailed tech specs from Linksys' site or from their tech support folks.

If you'd like to spend a little more you can get a 24 port gigabit switch for under $400(about $16.67 per port).

Pircegrabber link for the SMC 8524-T. Pretty cheap for a rackmount 24 port gigabit(non blocking backplane) with 9k jumbo frame support.

alrox said:
If you'd like to spend a little more you can get a 24 port gigabit switch for under $400(about $16.67 per port).

Pircegrabber link for the MSC 8524-T. Pretty cheap for a rackmount 24 port gigabit(non blocking backplane) with 9k jumbo frame support.

Wow - I accidentally forgot about SMC. Thanks!! I'll read more about that switch (and their other models too).

SacredHP said:
How does your EF4124 handle itself under large loads, like large file transfers between 10 or more computers at the same time? I like the look (and especially the bright LEDs!!) , but can't find out any detailed tech specs from Linksys' site or from their tech support folks.

It use to be the core switch at the lan parties. 3 File servers 5 game servers the activity lights were solid.. never had a lick of issue with it.

We bought a 24port Gige Switch and 4 24port with gige uplink linksys's for ours lans now.. they are beautiful..

Back