Dell PowerConnect 6248 L3

calvinj

[H]ard|Gawd
So I'm going to take a wild stab here and see if anybody is using a PowerConnect 6248 L3 switch in their line of work. I have one and have vlans setup and t hey all work nicely however I have 2 vlans that need dhcp and those 2 can not get dhcp. I have the Ip Helper address setup correctly, but for whatever reason can not get dhcp go go accross.. Anybody have an example config that works or any ideas?

I'm using the 6224's, so basically the same setup as you.

How many vlans are you using? Are they all being driven off the switch or are you trunking to other switches, etc? If you can post a sample config I can take a look and let you know if I see anything.

I'm assuming these other vlans do have routing, etc working correctly for them right?

I think I figured it out.. dell swiches don't use the traiditional ip helper-address stuff

uses the bootpdhcphelper command.

Ok one other questions for you.. I have created multiple routable vlans. Right now I have a missing vlan that will not respond to any ping, etc.

interface vlan 200
name "Production_Automation"
routing
ip address 192.168.200.254 255.255.255.0
exit

It looks setup ok, but not idea what is going on.. Is there a max of rout able vlans?

So you can ping all of the other vlan IPs except that one? There is a theoretical limit to the number of vlans but you'd have to have a lot to get there, in the hundreds at least, so I guess it's not that.

Have you tried to ping it from other vlans? How far does your traceroute get?

All of the other vlans reply except that one. I can't even ping it from the switch.

Do you have it assigned to any switch ports yet? While that shouldn't be required it will at least give you a place to start testing with. Assign it to a switchport, plug a device into it on that network and see if you can ping it.

You have made sure that you don't have any addresses or vlans that overlap that correct?

Back