Dell PowerConnect 3448 VLAN/Trunk Issues

Zetro

Limp Gawd
Hey Guys, I was just dropped into configuring some Dell 3448 switches to trunk back to a HP Procurve 2910al in the core. The HP I can configure in my sleep, but the Dell edge switches I really don't know how to configure one area correctly. Basically I have an enterprise wireless solution (Sonicwall /w SonicPoint), the WAP plugs into a port on the edge switch, this is then routed to a VLAN on the core, and it then goes to the wireless controller. There are three SSID's on their own VLAN's and another VLAN for the management of the individual devices. I am unsure if I am configuring the port correctly, the CLI is very Cisco like. I have been configuring HP switches for so long with Tagged/Untagged ports the concept of switchport mode access etc I have forgotten.

Below is the configuration template that I am using for the switches, uplink port is easy enough trunk everything, standard access port is easy, the big question is the Wireless Ports. If I was doing this on a HP I would tag VLAN's 21-23 and have VLAN 20 be untagged on the WAP port(s). How do I accomplish this on this Dell?

For Wireless Ports
interface range ethernet e(30-33)
switchport mode access vlan 20
switchport mode access vlan 21
switchport mode access vlan 22
switchport mode access vlan 23

For Student/Staff Ports
interface ethernet 8
switchport access vlan 10 (or 11 if Students)

Uplink Ports
interface ethernet 48
Switchport mode trunk
switchport trunk allowed vlan add 10
switchport trunk allowed vlan add 11
switchport trunk allowed vlan add 20
switchport trunk allowed vlan add 21
switchport trunk allowed vlan add 22
switchport trunk allowed vlan add 23

*VLAN DATABASE is NOT in CONFIG - it is in #
vlan database
interface vlan 10
name StaffWired
exit
interface vlan 11
name StudentWired
exit
interface vlan 20
name WirelessMgmt
exit
interface vlan 21
name WirelessStaff
exit
interface vlan 22
name WirelessStudents
exit
interface vlan 23
name WirelessGuests
exit
interface vlan 1
ip address 10.10.1.xxx (change for each switch) 255.255.255.0
exit
ip default-gateway 10.10.1.254
hostname EdgeFraser-34xx-Floor#

thinking that you would just set the native vlan on those ports to be 20. that way all your traffic will be vlan 20 unless you tag it for the other ones.

so switchport native vlan 20 instead of switchport mode access vlan 20.

That makes total sense as soon as you said it

Thank you kindly sir :D

I am teaching a course on Hyper-V for Microsoft tomorrow and at today 2:30 I get asked to engineer this "quick project" which starts tomorrow for one of our Junior engineers. Never worked with Dell switches before I am a happy camper right now.

Back