Dell PowerConnect 2616 Died after Power Outage

soekev

Gawd
Yesterday, the local utility was upgrading the power in the neighborhood and the power went out. When the power came back up, everything in my home office came back except the PowerConnect 2616.

Anyone else ever had their unmanaged fanless PowerConnect switch die on them?

Checked the Service Tag and the manufacture date was 2004 so I doubt there's any warranty left.

Anything I can do with this? Any point in opening it up and trying to repair any cracked solder joints?

I have had a few network pieces die after power surges, mostly cause they were not on cheap surge protectors, the cheap ones work differently than nice ones. Its possible for one out of 6 plugs to get fried.

Check the warranty status on dell, but they don't offer lifetime on their switch's like HP and other places do.

You could try to bake it. It works for video card circuit boards, so just take out the circuit board and bake that, can't hurt to try. ;)

You could try to bake it. It works for video card circuit boards, so just take out the circuit board and bake that, can't hurt to try. ;)
But only if the switch did not get a warranty extension.

I have a Powerconnect 2616, about the same age as yours. I have about half of the ports on mine dead or don't work in gigabit mode. I believe I pulled the cover off but there wasn't much to look at. Most likely the ICs are dead. Although your issue sounds more like power circuitry related. I don't recall if there was a fuse inside of the switch. If there was, you might try looking at it and see if it is blown. When the power came back on, there might have been a surge that blew the fuse.

If it's out of warranty, open it up and check for a fuse or anything obvious in the power supply circuitry. But honestly? They are pretty cheap to replace and if it's anything more than a fuse you'd probably spend more than it's worth trying to repair it.

There's only a point in opening it up if you have a clue of how to repair electronics.

Hmmm I have a Powerconnect 2616 that has been going strong for years, got it back in 2003 or 2004 and I've even hauled it around to countless lanparties.

I was reorganizing the wires under my desk, i simply unplugged the switch and set it aside. When I plugged it back in later it was totally dead. I opened it up and didn't see any fuse or any noticeable signs of damage. Sucks =/

could be bad caps, ive fixed quite a few gige linksys switches that had bad caps causing some to only like at 10 or 100, or not work at all

Back