Dell P4317Q multi display questions

revv

Weaksauce
I was eyeballing this monitor and wondering if it was right for me but had a couple of questions.

I watch streaming TV all the time while doing stuff. With my 34" curved it works ok, but I would like to see if I can improve it, particularly when I want to have 2 streaming websites up at the same time and my email up.

My main question is how does the separation of displays work?

With my current 34" U 3415W, if I have the browser window on the left, something else in the center, and another browser window in the right (browsers with streams, of course) and I hit full screen mode in the player, it fills up the entire 34" screen. It doesn't confine the full screen command to the area where the browser is command.

Would this monitor work differently where I can confine the full screen to a particular portion of the monitor?

I have one computer with a 1070 GTX card in it and don't use anything else. I also occasionally play Battlefield and Elite Dangerous, if it matters.

The P4317Q is a 4K monitor, so basically it is 4x 1080p monitors stacked together in a square.

It has 4 separate inputs so it can treat each input as a separate monitor, basically a 4x 1080p square without bezels.

Thanks.

But there's nothing that would allow me to set up a browser streaming video on full screen on a portion of the screen, coming from a single video source, right?

4 separate input means exactly that, that you can hook up 4 different sources. So If your GPU has 4 outputs, and you plug all of them into the monitor your OS will see 4 different monitors each for every input. These will work as full blown monitors. However it's a pain to work like this unless you ALWAYS want them separate, since you won't be able to get back easily to one big desktop (you need to fiddle in the monitor's menu to achieve that).

Dell has a software package to control P4317Q settings like brightness and contrast, but I am not sure if input control is included.

4 separate input means exactly that, that you can hook up 4 different sources. So If your GPU has 4 outputs, and you plug all of them into the monitor your OS will see 4 different monitors each for every input. These will work as full blown monitors. However it's a pain to work like this unless you ALWAYS want them separate, since you won't be able to get back easily to one big desktop (you need to fiddle in the monitor's menu to achieve that).

Agreed, it wouldn't be practical unless I always worked with separate inputs. I'll see if I can do it with software somehow.

Are there 43" monitors that can display 4K at or above 120 hz for under $1000?

Back