Dell P2715Q / P2415Q (3840x2160p, IPS, sRGB)

I'm wondering to those who have a 4K monitor, when do you find it useful?

4K monitors of sizes 27" and less are typically not about screen space, but about clarity and detail.

For example, I plan to purchase a 4K monitor to use it with 200% scale enabled on OS level. So I will have as much screen space as Full HD provides at 100% scale, but with much more clarity and detail — for text and images in particular.

Also, flickering caused by crystal inversion should be less noticeable thanks to some intercompensation of visually partially blended adjacent pixels (that are much smaller than on non-UHD monitors) that are in antiphase.

And finally invisible interpixel grid which is somewhat annoying on non-UHD monitors. :)

Last edited:
I find it very useful for a much higher quality 2560x1440 resolution on OSX. It's really awesome and it makes me wish I had the 5K model for 2:1.

Ah, great, thanks, Oubadah.

Still, it would be nice to see some confirmations by real monitor owners here — as for 27-inch model in particular, since PCMonitors has reviewed 24-inch one while these monitors may be not absolutely identical aside from their sizes.

Also, could some owners tell whether GPU scaling works correctly (unlike the previous-generation MST-powered UP2414Q)? For example, using an nVidia videocard, play a game with a non-native resolution with a non-native aspect ratio (native ratio is 16:9) — e.g. 1280x1024 (5:4) — while using following settings in nVidia Control Panel (nVidia Control Panel -> Display -> Adjust decktop size and position -> Scaling):

• "Select a scaling mode": "Aspect ratio";
  • "Perform scaling on": "GPU" (not "Display" — this is VERY important).

AFAIK, with MST monitors like UP2414Q, GPU scaling didn't work at all, so non-native resolutions were not upscaled, and monitor did just show small centered image (with big black space around all its sides) instead of upscaled one filling the entire screen.

So, if, in case of P2415Q/P2715Q, GPU scaling works correctly (scaled to fit the screen with using maximum screen space without distortion of original image ratio), this would be a confirmation that these monitors actually use SST and not MST anymore. (The fact alone that the monitor is detected by OS as a single monitor instead of two with half-resolution is not enough to say certainly that it's not MST since e.g. UP2414Q is detected as a single monitor too [regardless of that it uses MST] — at least with recent driver versions.)

Thanks.

I tested this mode (NVidia GPU scaling) and works well, the monitor obeys the GPU scaling settings I choose

I tested this mode (NVidia GPU scaling) and works well, the monitor obeys the GPU scaling settings I choose

Thank you, TioDrakul. Are you sure that "Perform scaling on" setting is "GPU" (not "Display") in nVidia control panel? What exact non-native resolution have you used? Wasn't aspect ratio distorted (e.g. 4:3 image has been displayed with stretching to 16:9 ratio and therefore distorted)?

Didn't you also test PWM on your P2715Q?

Also, doesn't your P2715Q have some "dust spots" (~8x8 pixels) reported in a P2415Q review on Amazon.com? (I wonder if this is a 24-inch-only model issue, or both 24- and 27-inch.)

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Thank you, TioDrakul. Are you sure that "Perform scaling on" setting is "GPU" (not "Display") in nVidia control panel? What exact non-native resolution have you used? Wasn't aspect ratio distorted (e.g. 4:3 image has been displayed with stretching to 16:9 ratio and therefore distorted)?

Didn't you also test PWM on your P2715Q?

Also, doesn't your P2715Q have some "dust spots" (~8x8 pixels) reported in a P2415Q review on Amazon.com? (I wonder if this is a 24-inch-only model issue, or both 24- and 27-inch.)

Yes, GPU scaling works fine (Linux/NVIDIA driver; aspect ratio and letterboxing is configurable there). No, there's no PWM. Yes, I had a "dust spot" on the one I returned (27-inch).

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
For anyone who has one, how is your colour uniformity? I have one (in Australia) and it's very good except for a prominent band of yellow discolouration right in the centre of the screen all the way from top to bottom and greenish discolouration around the edges. Planning to return it but not sure whether to try for a replacement or get something else.

I have the same issue; I actually contacted Dell for a replacement and they sent me another one, but it has the same yellowish cast in exactly the same spot (and in fact seems a bit worse than the original). I'm really hoping this isn't systemic; I'm trying for another replacement but if it doesn't work out I may just return it.

It's not very bad, but it is noticeable on lighter backgrounds (which are unfortunately common when working with text or code...). For what it's worth, my girlfriend can see it fairly easily, but some of my other friends haven't been able to see it without me pointing it out, and others can't see it even after I point it out. I have not noticed color nonuniformity in any of the other monitors I have bought, so I don't think I'm being too picky.

The uniformity compensation option in the menu does help a bit, but doesn't make it unnoticeable and also stops you from changing the backlight brightness.

I have the same issue; I actually contacted Dell for a replacement and they sent me another one, but it has the same yellowish cast in exactly the same spot (and in fact seems a bit worse than the original). I'm really hoping this isn't systemic; I'm trying for another replacement but if it doesn't work out I may just return it.

It's not very bad, but it is noticeable on lighter backgrounds (which are unfortunately common when working with text or code...). For what it's worth, my girlfriend can see it fairly easily, but some of my other friends haven't been able to see it without me pointing it out, and others can't see it even after I point it out. I have not noticed color nonuniformity in any of the other monitors I have bought, so I don't think I'm being too picky.

The uniformity compensation option in the menu does help a bit, but doesn't make it unnoticeable and also stops you from changing the backlight brightness.
I definitely didn't have this problem, and I deliberately looked for color nonconformity. (27")

I definitely didn't have this problem, and I deliberately looked for color nonconformity. (27")

Thanks, that's good to hear. I also have the 27". When did you purchase it? The original one was mid January for me, the replacement was sent out at the beginning of February.

I haven't seen that many people with this issue, so I was pretty surprised when the replacement had it as well. Hope the next one will be perfect...

I've owned a 1440p monitor for years, and I've felt it to be such a luxury. To tell the truth though, I've never found myself in a position where I needed more screen space. I game, use CAD, photoshop - so I'm wondering to those who have a 4K monitor, when do you find it useful?

I do a lot of programming, and having the extra resolution is extremely useful to me. I have pretty good vision though, so I am able to keep things tiny to cram more onto the screen without any issues. I find it especially useful on Linux when combined with a tiling WM or a window placement program like compiz grid or quicktile. Although I haven't used it, I believe winsplit revolution does something similar on windows (I only game on windows so I haven't look into this much).

That said, I don't need it for much else. The extra pixels are welcome but it doesn't bring the boost in productivity that it does for coding.

One place where I would actually say it's a negative is with gaming. Don't get me wrong, the games themselves look great, but my (now old) GTX 680 can't really keep up on even moderately demanding games. I've been planning on upgrading but will probably wait until new cards drop.

I've not seen anyone else mention this, so:

For those waiting for a P2715Q with later revision than A00, your wait is over. I just received one that is A01 (manufacturing date DEC 2014). It was ordered on Tuesday from Dell and shipped out of Mt Juliet, TN.

Nothing noticeably different from the A00, so far...

Thanks, that's good to hear. I also have the 27". When did you purchase it? The original one was mid January for me, the replacement was sent out at the beginning of February.
Around the 21st or so of January, so same time frame. Luck of the draw, I suppose.

Royce.Arnold said:
For those waiting for a P2715Q with later revision than A00, your wait is over. I just received one that is A01 (manufacturing date DEC 2014). It was ordered on Tuesday from Dell and shipped out of Mt Juliet, TN.

Nothing noticeably different from the A00, so far...
Might have fixed the DisplayPort protocol issues. It could explain why fewer people are reporting problems. I'm still going to wait for more reports before trying again.

Might have fixed the DisplayPort protocol issues. It could explain why fewer people are reporting problems. I'm still going to wait for more reports before trying again.

I'd be very interested to hear from anyone with the window resizing problem and the A00 version who got an A01 replacement and whether it went away. I've had my A00 monitor for just over two weeks and may do a replacement just to try to get an A01 revision to test myself but it'd be nice to hear from someone else.

I'd be very interested to hear from anyone with the window resizing problem and the A00 version who got an A01 replacement and whether it went away. I've had my A00 monitor for just over two weeks and may do a replacement just to try to get an A01 revision to test myself but it'd be nice to hear from someone else.
That window resizing thing is a Windows problem, and Microsoft has to fix that. It reverts to a smaller desktop when it determines no monitor is attached, and thus resizes the windows.

I'm talking about the fact that the monitor has falsely coded ACPI "wake" to be "sleep", and won't restore the current video mode.

I'm thinking about getting a P2415Q. I would connect a 2011 Macbook Pro and a HP Elitebook. The HP might be able to drive it at 4k. I'd use the Macbook Pro at 1920x1080. Does anyone know if this will look ok and be usable?

Just bought 3 for $431.99 each, use coupon code P43LD0MQJLGB33 at checkout and the discount stacks with the $120 off, if you are buying more then one you will have to call as the code only seems to work on the first item in the cart, even know no such restriction is listed on the code(i had to call).

Just bought 3 for $431.99 each, use coupon code P43LD0MQJLGB33 at checkout and the discount stacks with the $120 off, if you are buying more then one you will have to call as the code only seems to work on the first item in the cart, even know no such restriction is listed on the code(i had to call).

Just to be clear for anyone interested, the $432 price with the coupon code is for the P2415Q monitor. The code also works with the P2715Q monitor as an additional 10% off coupon. Dell has the P2715Q on sale for $600 right now ($100 off its list $700 price) so the coupon code takes off another $60 and it stacks with the 5% Dell Advantage membership discount (it's free to sign up). Pre-tax price for the P2715Q is $513 ($700-$100-$60-$27).

Bad luck of the draw - I received a revision A01 monitor today and it is has a yellowish tint to the screen that the A00 doesn't. Both are free of any dead pixels so I think I'm going to send back the A01 monitor and keep the A00. The problem with the A00 monitor not waking up from deep sleep seems to have gone away with the latest Nvidia drivers and the window size changing after waking up seems to be, as others have pointed out, an issue with Windows. I'm still in the dark why the registry hack doesn't fix the problem for me since it seems to work for others.

The problem with the A00 monitor not waking up from deep sleep seems to have gone away with the latest Nvidia drivers
It happened for me with all combos of NVIDIA/Intel, Windows/Linux, so wasn't a driver problem. Try turning the monitor on without disturbing the computer sleeping, _then_ wake the computer. In my case, the monitor went from "waiting for signal" to "going to sleep" on receiving the new video signal, doing the opposite thing it was supposed to.

Is the yellowish tint on the whole screen, or just parts of it? If it's the former, you could probably adjust it away.

It happened for me with all combos of NVIDIA/Intel, Windows/Linux, so wasn't a driver problem. Try turning the monitor on without disturbing the computer sleeping, _then_ wake the computer. In my case, the monitor went from "waiting for signal" to "going to sleep" on receiving the new video signal, doing the opposite thing it was supposed to.

Is the yellowish tint on the whole screen, or just parts of it? If it's the former, you could probably adjust it away.

I was only able to get the monitor to wake from deep sleep by uninstalling the Dell monitor device driver. The monitor woke properly from sleep with the generic Windows PnP monitor driver so I thought the Dell monitor driver was at fault. However, since I installed Nvidia driver 347.52, the monitor wakes from deep sleep even with the Dell monitor driver re-installed. Now I'm not sure if it was the graphic card drivers or some combination of graphics and monitor drivers. All I know is the monitor wakes properly with either the Dell mini-DP or a third party DP-to-DP cord. I used to have the same symptom you see where it would say waiting for signal then going to sleep and the monitor wouldn't wake to any keyboard commands or mouse movements but it's gone away now.

The yellowish tint was the entire screen. I'd rather keep the A00 which doesn't have the cast at all when set to the same default calibration settings.

Anyone tried the P2415Q? Any Qc issues I should be worried about? And any idea how to 8bit with dithering compare to normal 8bit?

Regarding the Displayport issues, with handshake..

Had the same issue with a ASUS 4k display a friend of mine owned he wanted to return it, set it up for 30hz and worked like a charm, but did the rescaling in 60hz, the bundled cable were DP v1.2

this might not be a solution, but worked for us, began reading a bit about 4k and Displayport..

4k 60hz uses between 12-14 gbps according to the standard.

then examined the displayport standard, MOST V1.2 cables are only 10gbps og as they say 1600p 60hz..

Only a few were specified for the full 17.26 gbps, so bought a cheap Lindy GOLD 2m cable for him, all his handshake issues stopped..

funny that the bundled cable was of a standard that only supported 30hz.

Hello all,
I have been using one of these monitors for about 1 week now and aside from the coming out of sleep mode/boot issue that I have had a couple times I have to say I love this monitor.
I am not using it at 4K for my desktop though. I found 1440p to be a good res for my eyes, distance etc.
When I am gaming however, I am running my games at the native resolution and it looks great.
Couple questions though,
I saw that some were using the MST, when I turned the MST on primary the text on web pages got really small and set it back to off. Is that not something I want to do for another reason?
I dont know much about displays, I bought this because I wanted a monitor that would have as good or better res as my 1440p 27" monitor, but be small enough to have in my living room and not have my TV be envious.
So the question would be; does anyone have suggested settings for this monitor for gaming?
Thanks in advance
mike

quick question...
Looking at the HDCP section of the NVIDIA control panel, it states that my monitor has a repeater attached and that some video applications do not support HDCP when a repeater is present.
Could that have an adverse affect for me or cause the sleep/boot issue I have once in a while?
I am attached from the EVGA970 to the monitor by a full size DP cable. No mini connector or anything like that.
Thanks,
mike

I saw that some were using the MST, when I turned the MST on primary the text on web pages got really small and set it back to off.

MST in P2415Q/P2715Q monitors is solely used for serial connection of two monitors via a single connection to computer (both monitors will have halved 30-Hz refresh rate in this case).

If you don't intend to connect a second monitor to your first one, and the P2415Q/P2715Q monitor is the only monitor you use, then you should disable MST in the monitor's settings.

Last edited:
Both the P2415Q and P2715Q seem to have completely disappeared from the NZ market. I wonder what's going on. Did the A01 revision fix the DP issues?

I have 3 P2715Q monitors on the same system. One A01 and two A00. The A01 has shown fewer display port issues than the other two. I would say it was perfect put I have seen a couple of issues where it did not wake up from when the computer was sleeping.

As for the A0 monitors, I still have occasional issues with one or the other (seems random). The later video drivers and video BIOS seem to have helped overall performance.

They are all running on a GTX-980. I'm not a gamer. Used for CAD / Programming / Design / etc.

The issue with windows resizing is still an issue for all monitors. As others have indicated, it is related to the monitors being display port, but is primarily a Windows issue.

One experiment that I tried that seemed to improve performance on all monitor. Dell has a Windows program that allows you to control the monitors via DCI. One feature of the program is to turn the monitors off when the screensaver activates. Setting that up to occur before the PC sleeps seems to improve the behavior of the A0 monitors. However, it seemed to make the system slower to resume from standby. The issue caused me to abandon it.

RA

Well, my issue with Displayport window resizing has cascaded to dead Displayports. No video signal through either the Displayport or mini Displayport connections on the monitor. Just a black screen even during the BIOS boot stage. At first, I thought it a dead boot drive then I figured out that the HDMI connection still works. HDMI is not a long term solution because HDMI is limited to 30Hz refresh rate which is pretty choppy. I thought the Displayports on my Asus GTX 980 video card went bad because I discovered there is a known issue with Displayport problems with the 970/980 video cards. However, I swapped in another video card and still no picture. I also connected my laptop to the monitor using a miniDP to DP cable and nothing. Also tried a DP to DP cable in place of the Dell miniDP cable without success. The monitor says "No DP cable - the monitor will go into power save mode in 5 minutes." This is an A00 monitor. Guess I'm calling Dell tomorrow.

Last edited:
Try disconnecting the power cable from the monitor for a bit. I had that happen a couple of times and that fixed it each time.

Tried it, no luck for me. Did you leave it unplugged for a while? I pulled it for a couple seconds. I get the Dell logo as it powers up but no desktop, just the on screen msg about no dp detected. I'll try leaving it unplugged for a couple minutes. Even if it works, I think I'll go ahead with a replacement.

I just got my 2415q yesterday.

Is this a common issue for it not to recognize anything when plugged in for the Dells assuming the set to the correct port on the monitor?

Also is this monitor Semi gloss or just full matte? I can see the graininess pretty well so I assume it's just regular matte?

I read most of this post but not all of it if someone answered this already. I just don't have time to read all 13 pages.

Last edited:
Tried it, no luck for me. Did you leave it unplugged for a while? I pulled it for a couple seconds. I get the Dell logo as it powers up but no desktop, just the on screen msg about no dp detected. I'll try leaving it unplugged for a couple minutes. Even if it works, I think I'll go ahead with a replacement.
I don't think I left it off for more than a couple of minutes.

Question: Has anyone experienced the display port issue using a workstation class video card?

I've been using a P2715Q A00 with a couple of laptops. One has a Quadro 3700M and the other has a Quadro K2100. I've seen zero issues so far.

Update on what I thought were defective Displayports on my P2715Q - after receiving a refurnished replacement that had the same "no video signal" problem, I discovered the cause of all my problems was the Dell mini DP cable. Out of ideas, I swapped out the Dell mini DP cable that had come with my monitor for the mini DP cable included with the replacement and voila, video picture restored. Connected the original cable again and video disappeared, 100% reproducible. I'm usually skeptical of posts that say they fixed their problems by swapping cables so color me surprised that the cable was the problem.

Last edited:
on another forum someone mentioned that dell was replacing P2815Q with P2715Q/P2415Q due to quality issues, has anyone here had that experience? If so, its a bit of a hassle to go through that but I'm looking for 2x P2415Q and the 2815s are ~$270 at the moment and I haven't been able to get Dell to budge lower than $450 each, which it seems like the same price its been since December.

I've read the threads on it here, no way I'd touch it :) It would be just for getting it swapped by Dell if they are in fact doing that. I think it has already been discontinued also, maybe Dell has washed their hands of it and given the stock to the MS store for cheap.

I tried a P2415Q and noticed that it makes noise (I'm not native in English so not sure about the right word to describe the sound) when in standby (power save mode) or when brightness is decreased below about 20 % in "Standard" preset or about 30 % in "Paper" preset. Those numbers changed a bit every time I dialed the brightness value, I didn't try other preset modes. Has anyone experienced this?

Like PC Monitors in their review I found that the screen surface appeared grainy when viewing white background. They mention the panel has low haze value but don't give the number, does anyone know what the exact value is? This is quite unfortunate as every monitor using 23.8-inch LG Display 4k uhd panel is likely to have the same panel version and thus the same coating. Samsung has a competing 23.6-inch PLS panel but Viewsonic reports on their site that the VX2475Smhl-4K has haze 25 and that's not low at all. Sharp has also a 23.6-inch 4k uhd panel with an IGZO backplane but monitors using their 4k panels have been expensive. Sigh, I would really like to go 4k but not sure if monitors with light enough coating are coming at all this year.

Other than the noise there were no major problems. Backlight bleed was more than I like but colors seemed even, no dead pixels and no problems with displayport connection. Monitor revision was A01 and I use Windows 7 and have GTX 660 with WHQL 350.12 drivers.

Last edited:
My P2715Q has just been delivered and I must say I'm really liking the resolution but something feels a little off.

Have it running at 3840x2160 60Hz from my MacBook Pro and the text is incredibly sharp. but areas of lighter colours/white eg Google homepage look a little fuzzy when compared with the same colour on my MacBook Pro.

Is this just the anti glare coating?

My P2715Q has just been delivered and I must say I'm really liking the resolution but something feels a little off.

Have it running at 3840x2160 60Hz from my MacBook Pro and the text is incredibly sharp. but areas of lighter colours/white eg Google homepage look a little fuzzy when compared with the same colour on my MacBook Pro.

Is this just the anti glare coating?
The anti-glare on mine is almost nonexistent, and no problems like this. I suspect this is chroma compression of some sort. What connection are you using?

Using the included display port cable directly to the thunderbolt port on my MacBook, tried HDMI too. Same result.

Using the included display port cable directly to the thunderbolt port on my MacBook, tried HDMI too. Same result.
I think I misinterpreted at first.

Are you referring to a slight graininess? That would indeed be the matte coating. It's actually not bad on this monitor, so you must be used to strictly glossy displays.

Back