Dell P2715Q / P2415Q (3840x2160p, IPS, sRGB)

Is anyone else experiencing an issue where all your windows get re-arranged/shrunk every time the monitor goes off, e.g. when the machine goes to sleep? It's not super annoying but I'd love a solution.

I had that problem with both Windows and OS X over Displayport. On Windows 7, windows would resize to a tiny 640x480. On Windows 10, windows would resize to something larger like 1024x768. Tried the Windows registry hack in both Windows 7 and 10 but it didn't do anything. I ended up returning it due to the problem and a 1x2mm patch of dead pixels or blob of dust that was in the center of the screen.

I got an LG 31MU97 instead and it doesn't have the problem.

I don't own a P2415Q so can't be specific to that. But it looks like you might be seeing clouding. You get it on a lot of monitors. Going through the review you referred to, it actually calls it that as well. Not bleed necessarily.

Oh, so that's clouding. By some miracle I'd been spared that issue on all my LCDs (until now), so I never had reason to be familiar with the definition.

From what I read about it just now, it looks like it can caused by "a non-uniform pressure on the frame". I guess that's sort of in line with what my theory was.

It'll be interesting to see if this is going to become a common issue with this monitor. Two samples with a virtually identical pattern is suspicious to me. I wouldn't be surprised if the root of the issue was a design 'feature'/flaw in the monitor casing. That said, it's probably one of those issues that will be rarely reported as it's quite subtle. Most people likely won't even notice it.

Yeah. Well personally I've seen this sort of thing on several monitors. Mainly IPS and a few TNs. But personally I am a VA man as I really like deep blacks. I think it would be nice to have more user reports on this issue. See if it happens on all/most P2415Qs.

Oubadah, sorry for the troubles, I'm not sure why it worked perfectly for me but not you and the other person who tried it.

Just for future reference for everyone, whenever modifying the registry for whatever reason, make a backup of the keys you're modifying and have another machine handy on the same network just in case you need to remotely modify the registry to undo your changes. Short of not being able to boot up at all, that should save you in most dire situations.

Hello people, new P2715Q user here.

I decided to share my views on the monitor, especially considering the lack of reviews about it.

First, displaying a good photo (16 megapixels) is... impressive. I took the test picture with a good camera and remember how was the scene being shot, and in my layman's opinion I could not see differences between the original scene and displayed on the monitor.

On the desktop part, text on the native resolution is very small. Maybe someone with 20/20 vision can work in native resolution but I had to use the Windows scaling in 150% to be able to work. 200% is very good visually but limits desktop space to 1920x1080, eliminating the advantages of having a large monitor.

The color uniformity of my unit is very good, which surprised me for a monitor where the light comes from the edges instead of the back. The only problem is a little bleeding at the bottom corners, but given the screen size and the nature of the IPS panel assume that there is not much way to avoid this (The corners are always a little out of sight when you look directly to the center)

I have a GTX980 so I can play some games using the native resolution, and the result is... WOW. It's like having played my entire life with a slight myopia and then begin using eyeglasses, is impressive the level of detail that I came to realize in games like Skyrim with high resolution textures pack.

But, the problem is that this "wow" thing only happens in the native resolution. Games at 1920x1080 become "blurred" in varying degrees, in some you do not realize while in others it is quite obvious.

On the MST/SST question, is a real SST. Working fine from boot to the login as a single screen without the MST tricks and hiccups, using display port 1.2. But it is important to note that one of the connectors is to signal output rather than input, so if you connect your computer on it will not work.

Last edited:
What kind of dark screen uniformity are P2415Q owners seeing? Mine looks like this, with the red being a sort of rusty glow and the blue appearing to be classic bleed (although it's a very pale white, not the blue-white I usually associate with bleed):

SOxc8yh.png

The PCMonitors review sample looks very similar, and they call the glow in the red area 'bleed', but I don't think it's bleed. To me it looks like the actual LCD panel is curved in a little at those bottom corners (probably because the backlight array housing or whatever it's attached to is marginally deformed), and the slight angle makes them glow (you can see the exact same hue or glow on the rest of the screen depending on what angle you view it at). When I say glow, I'm not talking about white IPS glow. My crude scribble is a representation of what the screen looks like from a perfectly central position, and far enough back that no white IPS glow is visible. This rusty glow is just an general LCD kind of glow. The main reason why I'm convinced it isn't backlight leakage is because it can be made to disappear completely if you view the screen from the right angle (unfortunately this isn't a normal viewing angle). True bleed is always static.

As I said, the other patches on the left and right seem to just be 'normal' static bleed. The upper right is only visible at very high brightness, and I'd call it 'negligible'. The left is larger and visible at lower brightness, but the shade and intensity of it is still pretty unobtrusive for the most part.

Neither the glow or the bleed patches are particularly strong, and if they don't get any worse I'll keep the monitor.

So is it supposed to happen both when the is manually switched off and when it goes into standby (flashing light)?

I have the P2415Q now, and it has the problem if I switch it off with the button (in which case I hear the disconnected device windows sound), but if I just let "turn off display after..." switch it off, it's fine - no rearranged desktop (and no windows sound effects).

I see the "bleed" on the red areas marked by you too, but is not really bleed. Is IPS glow, the display is wide enough to get the corners in the right angle to your eyes to the IPS glow appear. It is as if you were looking at your monitor laterally, so that when looking directly to the affected area the bleed disappears.

Hi

I have my P2715Q for a week now, and i noticed that when i look at the left and right very edge of the panel in a bit of an angle,they are not very good backlit. Can anyone confirm this? Its not a very big deal but still id like to know if maybe my unit has a defect.

I took a photo:

hey there anyone can comment on this please :) ?

I'm looking for Dell P2715Q.

How does it differ from the UltraSharp series?

Do you recommend it for gaming / movies, as the 4K is must.

Has anybody used one of these over HDMI? That's the only video out port that my laptop has, and Intel HD 4400 graphics inside... I realize that the refresh rate at native resolution will be limited to 30Hz, but I don't care about games, only the desktop.

I have used it over HDMI. Not entirely sure what you're asking though.

I guess I wanted to know first of all if it actually works. E.g., I have an old BenQ monitor here in front of me that point blank refuses to accept its native resolution over HDMI. Thanks for confirming that it does.

30Hz is unusable in my opinion, even for desktop use. I'd sooner look at blurry upscaled 1920x1080 etc at 60Hz, than 4k at 30Hz.

Thanks, that's useful feedback as well. Anyway, yesterday evening I decided to bite the bullet and ordered it anyway, given the current promotions on Dell's US website. If I find it as unusable as you did, I can always return it.

What I found yesterday was a lot of negative feedback on how laggy the older P2815Q is, but digging deeper, this seems to have more to do with the 100ms input lag of that model than with the refresh rate. Halving the refresh rate from 60 to 30 Hz should add at most 16ms, and even that is not exactly accurate (what it should actually add is choppiness, not lag).

What I also found interesting were reports that 1920x1080 is somewhat blurry, which you seem to confirm as well. That surprised me as, given that it's exactly half of the native resolution, it should in principle scale perfectly, with no blurriness? I wonder if that may have something to do with the computer using subpixel rendering to smooth out font edges -- this should probably be disabled when using non-native resolution.

This will never happen in monitors. Half the time we don't even get 1:1 pixel mapping, they'll never bother putting 1:4 pixel mapping in hardware scalers. You're best chance of getting that would be to ask Nvidia to implement integer scaling in their driver. Sometimes they do listen.
Yep, it's actually less circuitry to just do the same weighted cubic interpolation the other modes use without adding a special case for 1:4 pixels.

When companies weigh cost, consumers lose.

I, too, bit the bullet and bought one because of the promotion. We'll see how it goes.

I read a lot of documents, websites and code on my monitor. Is there a big difference in using a 27" UHD compared to a 27" QHD monitor for these purposes? I get somewhat fatigued by reading from my monitor, and maybe a P2717Q can make it a bit easier on the eye due to its higher ppi. For those of you with a 27" UHD monitor, what is your experience?

I read a lot of documents, websites and code on my monitor. Is there a big difference in using a 27" UHD compared to a 27" QHD monitor for these purposes? I get somewhat fatigued by reading from my monitor, and maybe a P2717Q can make it a bit easier on the eye due to its higher ppi. For those of you with a 27" UHD monitor, what is your experience?

On the one hand, text on a UHD monitor looks fundamentally different. It is completely 100% crystal sharp, with no visible pixelation at all. A month later and I still remark to myself every time I sit down at this monitor how much better text looks.

On the other hand, some people just don't give a shit. My boyfriend laughs every time I make such remarks and says he can just barely tell the difference.

*shrug*

When you gently apply pressure on the bezel surrounding the display do you get any liquid effect with the pixels? I cant find words to describe the effect other than what happens when you poke a LCD it leaves behind the pixel effect where they all activate then go back to normal.

Can any P2715Q owner confirm this for me? My P2715Q does this on the bottom left corner of the screen. The rest of the screen is fine. It was shipped via Fedex and the box has dent on the end of the area where the monitor was placed inside the box. I am concerned they may have dropped it or something to that effect.

I did with the 2415. I was trying to see if I could change a patch of backlight bleed. I put my fingers behind and pressed down on the bezel with my thumb, eliciting a 'ripple' effect in that area of the LCD. I don't find this unusual at all. The same thing happens to any LCD if you apply pressure to it.

I seem to only get this ripple effect on the bottom left side of the bezel. The rest of the screen is solid, no ripples.

uu7JS0q.png

Received my p2715q about 2 weeks ago and it appears I have a perfect copy. Uniform, no light leakage, no dead pixels. Before I had an ACD and this is certainly comparable display to the Apple.

Wrote some more first impressions here: http://markdunkley.com/p2715q-review/

gpXcNaU.jpg

Just opened mine. First impressions:

Uniformity is good. The right side has a brighter area near the edge, probably due to a LED diffuser, but there are no dark falloffs anywhere. Little backlight bleeding, just a small bit in the top left corner that's not too bad.

IPS glow is medium. Not as good as a no glow panel, but definitely less than any other IPS screens I've tried.

No dead/stuck pixels or contamination in screen.

Input lag is around 32ms. In 2560x1440, the scalar adds an extra frame or so, but the integer multiples like 1920x1080 and 1280x720 are faster. Integer multiple modes use interpolation, not pixel-doubling.

Colors are pretty good. Custom color mode has a better white point than "Standard", which I presume is sRGB, but too warm.

I received mine yesterday. First impressions are very positive.

I connected it over HDMI to a laptop with 4th gen. Intel graphics (HD 4400) running Linux. It worked fine out of the box at 30Hz, which actually positively surprised me since, according to Intel's own guide, their chipset is supposed to be limited to 24Hz over HDMI (due to a 225 MHz pixel clock limitation, I think):

https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/quick-reference-guide-to-intel-processor-graphics

The 30Hz mode uses a pixel clock of 297 MHz so I don't know how that works but I'm glad it does :). Obviously, the mouse pointer is more jittery at 30Hz than at 60, but I actually found the desktop experience pretty good overall. The only problem area so far is full-screen Youtube, but that's presumably because the Flash player is not fully hardware accelerated under Linux.

I haven't done any measurements with my colorimiter yet, but visually the uniformity of my copy appears to be fine. I wasn't able to spot any backlight bleeding either. There is visible IPS glow though.

I have the same impression about color balance as BearOso: "Standard" (which I assume is the one that's factory calibrated?) appears too warm; Custom (with all colors at 100) is closer to my liking. The resolution of the graphs in the included calibration report is rather low so it's difficult to tell for sure, but at least on mine it looks like they may have been aiming for 6000K rather than 6500?

I have been using the Dell P2715Q for about 5 days now. I have not had any issues with the display port. I am using the provided DP to mDP cable. The only issues with any flickering was when I did the upgrade to latest Windows 10 preview. The monitor would lose the image and would come back at random. I'm pretty sure this had to do something with the drivers for the HD 4600. I am using the on-board DP from the MSI Z97M with an i7 4770K CPU.

I have to say I am satisfied with the monitor overall. Light bleed is minimal. The IPS glow is noticeable depending on how far you are from the monitor when you have a black wallpaper. This can be an issue as the scaling is not good imo with windows 8.1. Depending how good your eyesight is will determine how far way you have the monitor. You may have to get close to read some small text that does not scale good. My scaling setup is Medium 125% This works for my sight fairly well.

The monitor seems to be very bright at 75 for my liking. I currently have the brightness at 25 and is easy on my eyes. The 60Hz is great. I have used 30Hz 4K monitors at Fry's Electronic and have to say it was horrible. This was my main concern with jumping to a 4K monitor.

My previous setup was 2x Dell U2412M @ 1920 x 1200. I mainly used 2 monitors for general productivity. Using the Dell P2715Q @ 3840 x 2160 feels like having a dual monitor setup in one. Prefer this much more.

Happy overall with the monitor. The color and detail the monitor produces is awesome. Text is nice and sharp. I have not played games on it yet as I am waiting to purchase a video card. Even then, I'm pretty much over gaming. The one game I would like to play is the new Doom. The monitor is used for productively and general use.

Owners of the Dell P2715Q what are you monitor settings? Brightness, contrast, color mode...etc??

Last edited:
Reports of DP connectivity issues in these monitors popping up in amazon review, dell forums etc. - I guess this will become the first 'known issue', and the wait for hardware/firmware revisions begins. I just hope it doesn't take too long, because I'm really missing my P2415Q.

I recommend for anyone who's considering one of these models to postpone your purchase and wait for more user reviews to see how this pans out. Early adoption of a Dell monitor is never wise. There's a reason why A00 is never the last revision. I only made this gamble because I knew I could count on Dell's excellent returns policy - either the A00 version would be bug free (0.001% chance), the bugs would be negligible/avoidable, or I could get a full refund (which is what i did). However, the best option is always to wait a few months for the monitor to mature and purchase a later revision.

Yep, DisplayPort issues. If I turn the monitor on before waking the computer from sleep, it won't set the mode it was supposed to wake to. I can actually switch to a VT (linux text mode) _once_ when it does this, otherwise the monitor normally refuses to display on the VT at all. But it won't switch back to the desktop mode without restarting X or blindly changing the mode to get a new initialization signal.

I also discovered some contamination in the backlight that results in a small dark spot of pixels.

Coupled with the backlight bleed, this one's going back, at least for a while.

P2715Q here.

Owners of the Dell P2715Q what are you monitor settings? Brightness, contrast, color mode...etc??

I just finished calibrating mine using the i1 Display 2 colorimeter. Mind you, that device is not exactly state of the art anymore, but it works well enough for my non-professional needs.

I switched the color mode to Custom and adjusted R, G, and B to 96, 94, and 99, respectively. These settings gave me a color balance most consistently close to 6500K throughout the range and that's what I would recommend as the best approximation to those without a colorimeter. With these settings, reducing the backlight to 38 gives the brightness of 120 cd/m2, which is the industry standard. I seem to remember that with the default Custom settings of 100/100/100, 120 cd/m2 brightness is achieved with a lower setting of 31. Contrast is in general better to be left untouched from the default setting.

A hint for those who like extremely bright screens: while in Standard or Custom modes brightness maxes out at 350 cd/m2 (matching the official specs), in Game mode the monitor "overclocks" the backlight to 450 cd/m2.

I just finished calibrating mine using the i1 Display 2 colorimeter. Mind you, that device is not exactly state of the art anymore, but it works well enough for my non-professional needs.

I switched the color mode to Custom and adjusted R, G, and B to 96, 94, and 99, respectively. These settings gave me a color balance most consistently close to 6500K throughout the range and that's what I would recommend as the best approximation to those without a colorimeter. With these settings, reducing the backlight to 38 gives the brightness of 120 cd/m2, which is the industry standard. I seem to remember that with the default Custom settings of 100/100/100, 120 cd/m2 brightness is achieved with a lower setting of 31. Contrast is in general better to be left untouched from the default setting.

A hint for those who like extremely bright screens: while in Standard or Custom modes brightness maxes out at 350 cd/m2 (matching the official specs), in Game mode the monitor "overclocks" the backlight to 450 cd/m2.

Did you have dynamic contrast disabled in Game mode?

Is anyone else experiencing an issue where all your windows get re-arranged/shrunk every time the monitor goes off, e.g. when the machine goes to sleep? It's not super annoying but I'd love a solution.

I have this exact same problem on a new computer connected to an Asus 980. I'm using the mini-DP that came with the monitor. Would switching to a DP-to-DP cord make any difference? I know mini-DP connector is functionally identical to DP but I'm just trying to figure out how to stop this or why some people aren't having this problem even though they're also using Displayport.

Did you have dynamic contrast disabled in Game mode?

I never touched it, so I guess it was enabled.

I need to correct my earlier statement though. I took some more measurements tonight and it turns out that there's nothing special about the Game mode -- I can get over 450 cd/m2 in pretty much any mode when Brightness is set to 100%. It makes me wonder why Dell quotes a lower brightness in its specs -- perhaps because the backlight gets darker over time and they expect it to be at least 350 cd/m2 at the end of the warranty period?

Also, should anybody else be so crazy to use this monitor over HDMI, a word of advice: don't go (too) cheap on the cables. I tried connecting another laptop today and since it had a microHDMI port I used an adapter to convert to the regular HDMI size. Bad idea. I got green flickering on the dark (though, curiously, not black) areas of the screen. I then sourced two direct microHDMI to HDMI male cables so that I wouldn't need any adapters anymore. Even though both were marked as High Speed, one still resulted in some flicker (though much less than before). The best one was a Monoprice cable with a ferrite core.

I have this exact same problem on a new computer connected to an Asus 980. I'm using the mini-DP that came with the monitor. Would switching to a DP-to-DP cord make any difference? I know mini-DP connector is functionally identical to DP but I'm just trying to figure out how to stop this or why some people aren't having this problem even though they're also using Displayport.

I read somewhere that taping over the sleep mode pin on your DP cable may work - I have not tried it as I haven't had any issues.

Hello. Could someone test whether P2415Q/P2715Q use PWM (pulse-width modulation) to control brightness?

There is a very easy method by TFT Central (Simon Baker) that allows to detect PWM and determine its exact frequency with just a regular photocamera.

Thanks.

The PCMonitors review already stated in no uncertain terms that PWM is not used.

Ah, great, thanks, Oubadah.

Still, it would be nice to see some confirmations by real monitor owners here — as for 27-inch model in particular, since PCMonitors has reviewed 24-inch one while these monitors may be not absolutely identical aside from their sizes.

Also, could some owners tell whether GPU scaling works correctly (unlike the previous-generation MST-powered UP2414Q)? For example, using an nVidia videocard, play a game with a non-native resolution with a non-native aspect ratio (native ratio is 16:9) — e.g. 1280x1024 (5:4) — while using following settings in nVidia Control Panel (nVidia Control Panel -> Display -> Adjust decktop size and position -> Scaling):

• "Select a scaling mode": "Aspect ratio";
  • "Perform scaling on": "GPU" (not "Display" — this is VERY important).

AFAIK, with MST monitors like UP2414Q, GPU scaling didn't work at all, so non-native resolutions were not upscaled, and monitor did just show small centered image (with big black space around all its sides) instead of upscaled one filling the entire screen.

So, if, in case of P2415Q/P2715Q, GPU scaling works correctly (scaled to fit the screen with using maximum screen space without distortion of original image ratio), this would be a confirmation that these monitors actually use SST and not MST anymore. (The fact alone that the monitor is detected by OS as a single monitor instead of two with half-resolution is not enough to say certainly that it's not MST since e.g. UP2414Q is detected as a single monitor too [regardless of that it uses MST] — at least with recent driver versions.)

Thanks.

Last edited:
Actually I found my own solution but it involved changing a bunch of registry keys in a way I am not super confident won't break anything, but it seems to have worked perfectly. I got the info from this thread: https://social.technet.microsoft.co...69c2/turning-off-display-resizes-open-windows

The fix was to go to HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\GraphicsDrivers\Configuration, find the key beginning with SIMULATED_****, and then change PrimSurfSize.cx, PrimSurfSize.cy, and Stride to match the values in one of the earlier 00 keys, f00, 870, and 3c00 respectively (which in decimal is just 3840, 2160, and 15360, something related to the resolution).

Thank you! I can also report that the registry fix outlined by altano prevents the resizing of open windows after the monitor wakes from sleep. Here is a description of the solution from a post on Nvidia's forums - it basically duplicates what altano says but in a little more detail for those of us who need some handholding.

Using regedit browse to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\GraphicsDrivers\Configuration. Locate the key for your monitor. Normally the first few characters will match your vendor. In my case, I use a Philips display, and my key starts out with PHL000116843009. Expand this key and both of the 00 subkeys. Under the first 00 key, document the values for PrimSurfSize.cx, PrimSurfSize.cy, and Stride. Next go to the nested 00 key and document the values for ActiveSize.cx and ActiveSize.cy.

Locate the key starting with SIMULATED_. Modify the values listed above to match. Rebooted your PC.

This corrected my issue, and hopefully it will help someone else out there too.

https://forums.geforce.com/default/...d-off-after-314-07-driver-update-fix-inside-/

This is a problem caused by how Windows behaves when a monitor goes into sleep so you'll be waiting a long time for a Displayport hardware fix. Because it's a Windows issue, this fix should work for AMD cards as well. Unfortunately, this fix may not work for those using MST as some forum members reported in earlier posts. It should, however, work with multiple monitors. A thread on Microsoft's forums has users posting the registry fix worked for multiple monitor setups. See here for more details:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...r/1653aafb-848b-464a-8c69-1a68fbd106aa?page=1

Note there's some differences between the solution given by altano and the Nvidia post and the Microsoft one - the Microsoft one doesn't include changing the value of STRIDE and it says change the values of all registry keys, not just the SIMULATED key. I only changed SIMULATED key and I also changed the STRIDE value and it worked.

UPDATE: I spoke too soon, these registry changes did not solve the resizing problem. I did figure out how to solve another problem getting the monitor to wake from sleep. The monitor wouldn't wake regardless of mouse movement or keyboard inputs. The only way to wake the monitor was to power it off and on. This problem was solved by uninstalling the Dell P2715Q display update that pops up in Windows Update. Removing it and using just the generic Windows PnP monitor driver allows the monitor to wake up from sleep.

Last edited:
Can anyone confirm if the p2715q does NOT use pwm? I am aware of the review of the 24 inch version but want to know specifically for the 27 inch. Also anyone doing gaming with the p2715q confirm if their input lag is similar to the PC Monitors Info review done for the 24 inch? Thanks.... Been seeing deals crop up around 450 to 500 so this is interesting to me to potentially buy and if suitable keep.

What's the deal with the release of this monitor? Here in Europe it has been promised before new year, then mid January, then end of January... Apparently some people received their pre-ordered monitors, but retailers got none.

And where are any reviews? At least the ones that speak about lag, PWM...?

I set up my 27" today and so far I really like it. If anyone has questions I'll try to answer but I'm not an LCD expert.

1. PWM: I don't know how to tell if it uses it or not

As said in the question about PWM, there is a very easy method by TFT Central to determine the fact of using PWM and its approximate frequency. Since the method is based on using just a photocamera, everyone having a photocamera can detect PWM using this method.

Just don't forget to set monitor's brightness to a level much lower than 100% (at 100% brightness, PWM is typically unneeded and not used) — e.g. 20%.

For your convenience, here is a ready-to-use image for testing PWM (3840×2160, 11 KBytes, vertical white line on black background).

Thanks.

Last edited:
Can anyone confirm if the p2715q does NOT use pwm? I am aware of the review of the 24 inch version but want to know specifically for the 27 inch. Also anyone doing gaming with the p2715q confirm if their input lag is similar to the PC Monitors Info review done for the 24 inch? Thanks.... Been seeing deals crop up around 450 to 500 so this is interesting to me to potentially buy and if suitable keep.

Anyone :)?

I've owned a 1440p monitor for years, and I've felt it to be such a luxury. To tell the truth though, I've never found myself in a position where I needed more screen space. I game, use CAD, photoshop - so I'm wondering to those who have a 4K monitor, when do you find it useful?

Back