Dell P2414H

Can anyone with an AMD gpu confirm whether they too have the on/off problem with this monitor?

I ask because I plan on upgrading my GPU soon and wonder if I should change over from nvidia to amd when the 300 series comes out.

Just wanted to let you know on my R9 290 that i haven't experianced the on/off problem

This is overclocked at 80hz on the DP connection

Recent purchase from the Dell Referb sale

I had revision A01 with endings -HB as well. Bought them refurb in Dec 2014. I started getting the blanking and I tried everything except replacing the video card (as i dont have one to switch it with) so I ended getting an RMA.

I just got the replacements today and they are rev A03 and A05. Also, Dell said I have 3 yr warranty on them now because they are brand new! Woot.

One annoying thing is, one has a blue hue and the other has a red hue. Weirdly enough, this happened with my originals. Do you guys think its the monitors because of panel variation or my video card? Before it was, main = red and slave = blue , but now replacing them with the brand new RMAs , the main = blue hue and slave = blue hue.

I'm reading this thread and I'm scared now to move from glossy Acer S236hltmjj to light-matte Dell P2414H
Jesus

Just wanted to let you know on my R9 290 that i haven't experianced the on/off problem
This is overclocked at 80hz on the DP connection
Recent purchase from the Dell Referb sale

Here:
http://forum.ixbt.com/topic.cgi?id=28:28046-33#1059

Someone said he fixed the issue on his P2314H by going into OSD menu -> Power Settings and changing something ("Индикатор кнопки питания" = "Power button diod/LED"?) to "Enable in active state" and no more shutdowns.
perhaps this solution is suitable for P2414H.

Last edited:
Does anyone know if it is possible to access service menu on this model?

Yes, =DEAD= found it out here: (Russian)
http://www.overclockers.ru/lab/5625...bzor_i_testirovanie_monitora_Dell_P2414H.html

"Access to the service menu in the case of the model Dell P2414H was found by simultaneously gripping the top two keys at the time of turning on the monitor. The combination of the first and third buttons (top to bottom) leads to the appearance of on-screen information about the operating time the backlight and the monitor is in operation and Standby modes.

In the service menu is a lot of interesting, useful and not. The most important include the possibility of acceleration control matrix OverDrive. It is up to this point would be to get past many owners of Dell monitors professional line, but in their case it is unrealizable. The only problem is that when you turn off the device or switching to Standby all settings are reset to their default values, and therefore to establish the appropriate values ​​"for life" will not succeed."

Cheers, these are both good news and bad news.

Good, because OD can be adjusted after all to get rid of horrible overshoot clearly visible with default/factory settings.

Bad - the lowest marketed value 8ms is at OD in 40. Assuming Dell uses usual step in "20" I can only reduce it once before disabling, which sucks.

Damn you, Dell.

I don't know how the Dell behaves but the Overdrive on my VA loses some effectiveness at higher refresh rates than 60, and gains at lower refresh rates than 60.
Since the P2414H can be OC'd to 80hz maybe that will reduce the overshoot by itself?

Any "lucky" Dell P2414H owners around? I have a few questions I need help with:

1. Open Service/Debug menu (see igluk's post above with how-to):

and check the step for OD GAIN gain, please. I assume it is the usual 20 per value, but I'd like to be sure.

2. Ghosting/overshoot test: http://www.testufo.com/#test=ghosting
(use Chrome with hardware acceleration option enabled for proper rendering)
Check if you can eliminate very visible by default overshoot (according to many reviews) by adjusting OD GAIN lower than default 40 but not down to 0 (since it will disable OD and render it pointless). With step of 20, I hope the lowest value with acceptable output will be 20, with step of 10, at least 30-20.

Additionally, try to set OD GAIN at 40-30 and display refresh rate at 80Hz (I've been told Dell P2414H can be overclocked to 80Hz easily) and check if the ghosting/overshoot visually lower vs. default 60Hz mode. This is what I'm mostly interested in (would be awesome if it did the trick).

I will be grateful for any info.
(please include revision and manuf. date if possible)

Last edited:
Hello,

The settings i am using for the HD4000 iGPU are:

In windows 8.1:
Press Win + R and type: CustomModeApp
Set accordingly:
Horizontal Active: 1920
Horizontal Front Porch: 30
Horizontal Sync Width: 40
Horizontal Back Porch: 45
Horizontal Total: 2035
Horizontal Sync: +

Vertical Active: 1080
Vertical Front Porch: 3
Vertical Sync Width: 4
Vertical Back Porch: 5
Vertical Total: 1092
Vertical Sync: +

80Hz

Overall a price worthy monitor, comfort to continuous reading (no PWM) and good to all around use (gaming, browsing, watching videos).

I have Nvidia card. How do I adapt this? H/V Back Porch does not exist in advanced timings for NV.

Well, it DOES work but I'd prefer to keep original values.

Hmm, what did he use to calculate them? I'd love to have 72Hz as well.

I dont know, I used trial & error to find my values (had to reboot computer 3-4 times because sometimes drivers crashed and didnt come back)
These are my timings, but its for a different monitor so might not work with the P2414H.
Also I'm using DVI so I have to stay below 165mhz pixel clock limit, that should not be a problem with Displayport connection.

72hz
Total pixels: 2078/1098 or 2080/1100 - that is sufficient for 72hz here. Don't even need to touch sync width or porch values
75hz:
Front porch: 44/4
Sync width: 22/5
Total px: 2004/1092
76hz:
Front: 44/4
Sync: 22/5
Total px: 1990/1090

Also, here are some example timings posted by ToastyX and co.

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1670817

Holycrap. it is ULTRAFAST on 80Hz and standard OD GAIN in 40 loses its trail.

Hah! Glad to hear that I was right
Another good thing is if you have a game that runs really bad you can play many locked at half framerate - 40fps@80hz
That is better than locked 30fps at 60hz, or a variable framerate without G-sync/Freesync.
Both Watch Dogs and Evil Within had horrible performance here and I played at 38fps/76hz, much better than the stuttering 42-48fps I would have gotten otherwise with Vsync On.

Okay, someone explain me if the weird changes in color temps in quite a few situations (backlight flickering/adjusting?) are normal for Dells:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/nqrl808a270a06o/dell_test2.mp4?dl=0

I know it is hard to see on the video recorded with crappy camera (it also auto-adjusts to lighting env with no way to disable), but in gereral there are 3 things happening:

1. Camera auto-adjust to amount of light that comes from display - ignore
2. Small changes in overall lighting due to scene changes, these are normal to any display
and, most important:
3. Weird color temperature changes on the display, sometimes completely unrelated to scene changes in the center of the screen. You can notice how the general brown background here:
http://i.imgur.com/NZ2ArzQ.png
(red - the spot I recorded in camera, changes in color temperature/tone can be seen on any part of the bg)
changes it's tone/temperature. Skip to 0:45 to see it ore clearly - for a few seconds there is no changes in overall colors on the scene in the center, but you can see background swapping its colortone. That is not a camera trick or anything, this is what I see.

Now, this wouldn't be an issue if it happened just under these specific conditions, but I often notice how the color temperature/tone changes during me switching between windows and such. At first I thought my eyes playing tricks on me when I change window with leading dark tones to white tones or return eyesight from darkish env to the screen, but no, I clearly can see whites overall taking slightly reddish tint when these weird changes in color tone happen.

What is interesting is that:

1. I could not notice such changes under preset: Movie, Multimedia, Game, Cool.
2. If I record an on-screen video (raw RGB24) of the browser window and try to play it fullscreen - I don't see such effect.
3. Not related to refresh rate.

What possibly could cause this?

Wish I had an answer for you Kreon..... it might be best to just RMA the thing since you're so close to the date, and roll the dice on a new one.

I was just looking through the thread because I had borrowed a Spyder4 Pro from a friend and really was not impressed with the calibration profile it spit out at me, so was looking for an older icc I had used before. Also interested in seeing whether or not it's worth it to push my monitor to 80hz. I've got it going just fine at 75hz without issues, and loving it, but haven't tried for more. Seeing some of the info, maybe??

I love EVERYTHING about the thing. Yes, colors are kinda shit, so is contrast ration,even compare to my old cheap Acer or Samsung on shitty PLS. But overall it is very-well built, and together, system works very decently. Imagine it Acer is stool that has one leg shorter than other, Samsung is a stool that has VERY short legs and not very sturdy, then Dell may be not the best in terms of seating but it is sturdy, it has great height and you can set without much of issues.

I really like it overall, best display so far,despite coating and other issues. But the issue I've desribed before is killing me

BigDov
Could you check if it happens on your display? Here is the lossless recording:
http://hugefiles.net/lfklqzdludga
(60fps, 1920x1080, 500Mb)

You will need to install Lagarith Lossless Codec: http://lags.leetcode.net/LagarithSetup_1327.exe

I used MPC-HC played in Sync Renderer mode to test it. Issue can be reproduced. Basically, just open it fullscreen and look carefully at the brownish background, preferably in one place (I picked up left upper part). Sometimes, it will change the color tone, especially when scene changes.

Wish I had an answer for you Kreon..... it might be best to just RMA the thing since you're so close to the date, and roll the dice on a new one.

I was just looking through the thread because I had borrowed a Spyder4 Pro from a friend and really was not impressed with the calibration profile it spit out at me, so was looking for an older icc I had used before. Also interested in seeing whether or not it's worth it to push my monitor to 80hz. I've got it going just fine at 75hz without issues, and loving it, but haven't tried for more. Seeing some of the info, maybe??

Calibrating your display is not about getting colors that "impress" you. It's about getting the correct, reliable colors that you'll get on your prints and that match the standard color gamuts. Often this are duller than the original, as display manufacturers push a lot of contrast and saturation to their displays as this will "impress" and sell better.

Hi everyone, hi ToastyX!

I've tried to overclock my Dell P2414H to 72Hz. My graphics card is an nVidia GTX 970 with the latest driver (355.82), and I use DP port.
This type of monitor theoretically can handle 72Hz easily.
And it works, but i have some issues.
I tried it with STANDARD TIMINGS and with CUSTOM TIMINGS TOO (with the following values):

Horizontal Active: 1920
Horizontal Front Porch: 30
Horizontal Sync Width: 40
Horizontal Back Porch: 45
Horizontal Total: 2035
Horizontal Sync: +

Vertical Active: 1080
Vertical Front Porch: 3
Vertical Sync Width: 4
Vertical Back Porch: 5
Vertical Total: 1092
Vertical Sync: +

I set the resolution with CRU. If i would like to activate it, i have to choose 72Hz refresh rate (native resolution) in nVidia control panel too.
Then some games (like Crysis 3) works with 72Hz perfectly (VSync set fps to stable 72).
But some apps not. For exaple in Far Cry 4, i can set refresh rate to 72Hz in the garaphics menu of the game, and it works, but i have some frame skipping or something like that (the movement isn't perfectly smooth, there are some jammings all the time (inspite of I have stable 72 fps with Vsync).
In Mass Effect 3, the game set fps to 62 inspite of I've set refresh rate to 72Hz on CRU and nVidia control panel.
When I see http://www.testufo.com/#test=ghosting, it shows, that i have 60Hz and 60 fps, inspite of i set it to 72. There are jammings too.

What can be the problem?

I get the same with Far Cry 4, this game seems only to properly support static refresh rates that are multiple of 30. Typical Ubishit. And the older Assassin's Creed games are locked at 63hz.
Some games show the wrong refresh rate even though it is running properly, check your monitor OSD or run a framecounter to see if you really get 72hz/fps.
As far as I know many old UnrealEngine 3 games are locked at 62fps, you have to edit ini's to remove the limit. Check pcgamingwiki.com for instructions for many games.
TestUFO should always show the correct refresh rate though, otherwise something is wrong. I recommend to use Chrome with the tests, and also check the frameskipping test.

I use Chrome, Vsync works.
OSD shows 72Hz.
I tried the frame skipping test; unfortunately i have frame skipping...

Thank you so much for the answers.
Anyway, I set a custom resolution without CRU, only with nVidia control panel, and now 72Hz works with standard timings, no issues, no frame skipping.
The "bug" with Far Cry 4 engine and Unreal 3 engine is another thing...

A folow-up and heads-up to everyone who overclocked this model: after 1.5 years of usage this display @80Hz it is now shows signg of dying. Very often I reandomly receive black screen and message "out of range". before that it would happen once per 2-3 month and only in case when I switch between refresh rates through applications. Now it almost every day every time without me doing anything, just even booting system.

A folow-up and heads-up to everyone who overclocked this model: after 1.5 years of usage this display @80Hz it is now shows signg of dying. Very often I reandomly receive black screen and message "out of range". before that it would happen once per 2-3 month and only in case when I switch between refresh rates through applications. Now it almost every day every time without me doing anything, just even booting system.

What if you reduce it to 75hz, do you still get out of range messages?
I don't know the exact signal timing specifications of the LM238WF1-SLA3 panel but the SLA1 has 75hz as the upper limit still within panel specifications.

Back