Dell P2414H

Anyone tried to open the case on the P24?
That bottom left corner is bugging the hell out of me and I bet it's the steel frame that needs some bending.

Think I'm gonna sell mine. It is a great monitor, don't get me wrong but goddamn, 1080p in portrait just sucks for certain websites. Guess I'm going with a 27" monitor in portrait - if only it were 1200p.

Hi Guys,

I'm considering buying P2414h. Just one question. Is it possible to achieve 70/75 Hz refresh rate by connecting the monitor to the graphic card with display port minidisplay port cable?

Hi Guys,

I'm considering buying P2414h. Just one question. Is it possible to achieve 70/75 Hz refresh rate by connecting the monitor to the graphic card with display port minidisplay port cable?

The normal DP cable allows for 78hz. I don't know about mini DP though.
I highly recommend this monitor. It is the best that the IPS technology can offer you today in my opinion. And I've seen quite a bit of monitors for the past 3-5 years.
You just need to really calibrate it. I'll post my current calibration settings later that I use now and that make it look absolutely fantastic. :D

What do you guys think about the U2414H in comparison? Supposedly they are very similar, with some slight edge going to the U2414H.

Does anyone else have issue with this monitor seemingly, randomly turns off and on within a second and returns like nothing happened?

It has happened with different monitors, as I had to replace it once for other issues. I have the input set to dvi-d, so it's not auto select acting weird. However I wouldn't think that is the case at all considering there is no message or anything when it returns from black.

Does anyone else have issue with this monitor seemingly, randomly turns off and on within a second and returns like nothing happened?

It has happened with different monitors, as I had to replace it once for other issues. I have the input set to dvi-d, so it's not auto select acting weird. However I wouldn't think that is the case at all considering there is no message or anything when it returns from black.

Same problem.
I have 2 of these, #1 on Display Port and #2 on DVI.

Only #2 is doing that. It goes black for 2-3 sec as if I turn it off and on again.

If I switch them, it's the same behavior, so it's not the monitor but rather the GPU or the cable, in my case.

Asus GTX770 OC2
nvidia 335.23

le: now I use U2713HM as #1 on DVI and P2414H as #2 on DP.
Will let you know if it behaves the same using DP.

Last edited:
I too have a Nvidia card. I asked others about this on other boards, and I swear that there is a correlation between a nvidia gpu and the monitor, perhaps through DVI. I would just like to find an answer to resolving the issue, but Dell never seems to actually be helpful on their support forums.

Same problem.
I have 2 of these, #1 on Display Port and #2 on DVI.

Only #2 is doing that. It goes black for 2-3 sec as if I turn it off and on again.

If I switch them, it's the same behavior, so it's not the monitor but rather the GPU or the cable, in my case.

Asus GTX770 OC2
nvidia 335.23

le: now I use U2713HM as #1 on DVI and P2414H as #2 on DP.
Will let you know if it behaves the same using DP.

Check the power connector coming into the monitor is seated very firmly. On my U24 it's very sensitive and small nudges to the power cord connector powers it off/on if it's not seated in all the way.

Check the power connector coming into the monitor is seated very firmly. On my U24 it's very sensitive and small nudges to the power cord connector powers it off/on if it's not seated in all the way.

If it was power related the message telling what input is in use would pop up after this occurs, but it doesn't.

Mirroring what Gasser is saying, I have 5 of these monitors, on two PC's. One DP and 2 DVI for one machine, 2 DVI for the other. Both machines running Nvidia cards, one an EVGA Titan, the other a 6 series Ti something. The DP connected one runs flawlessly. All 4 other monitors exhibit a periodic wierd power stutter. Its like the monitor goes standby, turns off, for about 1 second, then turns back on. No messages, no menu popups, just off, then on.

I think mine has this power restart issue too. I think it happened couple of times. The weirdest thing is me Eizo FG2421 had the exact same issue with resetting itself for a second. The Eizo was doing that much more frequently though. My current ACER does not seem to have that issue.

It is probably bad power supply components that were distributed from one same parts manufacturer to different monitor companies.

I think mine has this power restart issue too. I think it happened couple of times. The weirdest thing is me Eizo FG2421 had the exact same issue with resetting itself for a second. The Eizo was doing that much more frequently though. My current ACER does not seem to have that issue.

It is probably bad power supply components that were distributed from one same parts manufacturer to different monitor companies.

Man, I'm glad at least someone else had that issue, I know there were more than just us 2 that had it on our Eizos but I started to suspect I wasn't putting the cable in far enough or something. I did finally get tired of the weird quirks, but I miss the motion clarity. It's been gone 2 days now... /sniff.

Did someone actually get a rev A01 one? I found a few references to it on Google, but all are pretty recent (february/march this year). So I'm going to guess that most models that are shipped right now are still rev A00.

And does setting the input manually fix the display shutting on/off randomly? I saw the issue on an U2414H and I'm kinda afraid that this might repeat itself with the P2414H. By now I don't really know which one to take anymore. Not having to deal with the Nvidia+HDMI full RGB issue the U2414H has is good, but other than that the P2414H seems to be plagued by the same little issues.

So, I got a U2414H the other day at Microcenter. Unfortunately, I seem to be having the issue where it will randomly just turn off. A couple times it's actually turned itself on, too. I haven't had any issues with the menus coming on, though. It just changes its power state. The input dialog does come up when I turn it back on after it powers off.

I'm wondering if there's something that's somehow interacting with the capacitive button, like if there's something going on with that. I've noticed that if I lick my finger and wipe around the button (all mom-style cleaning LOL) that it won't change power state for quite a while. I haven't tried, yet, cleaning it with something like a water or windex dampened paper towel, though.

In regards to the P2414:
The display turns off for 1-1.5 seconds, and no input dialogue or menu messages, or any messages pop up.
2 machines, 5 monitors, 1 DP and 4 DVI, all the dvi monitors do this.
I swapped around my dp connected one with a dvi one, and the now dp connected one doesnt do it anymore, but the dvi one does.
MY pc uses heavy duty dvi cables, the other machine uses fairly thin looking dvi cables.
Both machines use Nvidia cards.
All displays are running at the default 60 hertz refresh.

Not sure the simplest course of action at this point. Maybe Ill buy 2 MST Hubs and run all display port. These are the first monitors I have been really happy with, aside from this sporadic issue.

That makes 5 people with 8 (?) monitors who mentioned the same on/off problem in this thread alone. Great. If you count the U2414H then I've seen quite a few more.

I still wonder if there really is a rev A01 yet (I saw some references to it on a greek forum, an italian forum, an amazon review, and one time here in this thread) and whether this fixes the issue. Or maybe it was just a specific batch anyway.

My personal plan regarding this display is to see whether the one arriving here tomorrow is okay'ish, and if it is, I'll keep it even if it does the on/off thing. I can always warranty it a few months later, because by then it's probably unlikely to get another faulty one. Trying to cherry pick right now makes not much sense, I think. And I happen to like the display itself.

Other than the flipping on/off issue, it's a great monitor. If there can be some sort of resolve to the issue, firmware update or driver side, then it would be a solid 9/10 monitor.

I say driver or firmware, because I cannot return it at this point, I have owned it for 2 months.

P2414H is very good indeed.
Probably the best monitor for your eyes today.

Last edited:
Did someone actually get a rev A01 one? I found a few references to it on Google, but all are pretty recent (february/march this year). So I'm going to guess that most models that are shipped right now are still rev A00.

I can answer my own question: the one I got today is a P2414H revision A01, manufactured march 2014.

No dead pixels. Not sure about backlight bleed because it's still pretty bright here. If I set it to 100% brightness the lower left corner seems to be brighter than the rest, although at least in daylight it's hard to tell appart from glow.

Only minor thing is that I could briefly hear a high pitched noise when turning it on for the first time (with my ears over the vents, *ahem*). I can't hear it now even though I'm listening for it and I can hear most electronics, so I guess that's a non issue.

PS: in case anyone else from Germany wants to make sure he gets a rev A01, I got it from Redcoon.

Last edited:
In regards to the P2414:
The display turns off for 1-1.5 seconds, and no input dialogue or menu messages, or any messages pop up.
2 machines, 5 monitors, 1 DP and 4 DVI, all the dvi monitors do this.
I swapped around my dp connected one with a dvi one, and the now dp connected one doesnt do it anymore, but the dvi one does.
MY pc uses heavy duty dvi cables, the other machine uses fairly thin looking dvi cables.
Both machines use Nvidia cards.
All displays are running at the default 60 hertz refresh.

Same issue here. I was going to replace my P2414H until I have found this thread. It seems, that it's problem of most P2414H and other recent Dell LCD's.

I have simultaneously connected PC via DVI and iMac via Displayport. Screen goes off for 1s only when I am switched to iMac. It has never happened on PC via DVI. I have turned off auto selection of input.

Except this issue I am really satisfied with this LCD. I had to return U2414H becuase I had problems with color range both on PC and iMac. It was identified as a TV also on Displayport, which was huge problem for me. With P2414H everything is correct on Display port except this strange self-goes-black issue.

I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere so I wanted to ask here about it. I'm coming from an older HP TN panel, and in the display settings I have an option for the monitor to retain the original aspect ratio of the image, so if I play an older game that is in 4:3, the monitor automatically keeps the 4:3 aspect ratio (with black bars) without me needing to do anything special. When the game exits the monitor goes back to it's native aspect ratio and resolution.

These Dell monitors don't seem to offer that seemingly obvious feature. It has 16:9, 4:3 and 5:4, correct? That sounds to me like if I play an old game in 4:3 aspect ratio, I then have to go into the menu and force the monitor into 4:3 mode to keep the aspect ratio correct, otherwise it will stretch the image to 16:9 which is no good.

Is this correct? I can't believe these new monitors don't have a setting to keep the aspect ratio, when my 5+ year old monitor does that by default. This sounds quite annoying if this is how it works.

I seem to have the turning off problem too, DVI. I don't have DisplayPort on the graphics card.
Would it work if I get a DisplayPort to HDMI adapter and connect the monitor to the GPU from the DisplayPort interface to the computer's HDMI interface ?
How often does the turn on/off issue happen with you ?

Last edited:
Hi...
After trying a few monitors (a U2415, a U2414H and a U2415 again) I've decided to give up on those due to awful uniformity on the U2415 and displayport issues on the U2414H (it reset to limited range every time i turned it off).

How is the uniformity on the P2414H? See my post here to see my complains regarding uniformity on the U2415.

Also I've read around the place people have had issues with fonts and eye strain with these monitors? Don't know if they're talking rubbish or if hit and miss.

I've only seen the turning off/on issue mentioned on this thread so I can't say I'm worried about that...

Has there been anyone who has ever figured out the off/on issue?

I have had this monitor for well over a year and while it has done it from time to time, it seems to do it more frequently. As much as a few times in a day.

Could it be bad capacitors? Which is something easy to replace if you know how to.

o...k...
I just had the on/off issue.
Reading wikipedia happily, monitor goes blank with backlight on then off completely and then comes back again...how odd

Would you suggest this or the thinner U2414H? How would Asus PB238Q compare to those Dell monitors? I used to have U2312, it was good except of ips glow and buzzing noise.

Every modern Dell monitor I've tried (apart from the U2713HM) has had some sort of fault or issue.
U2414H has the displayport issue with it being detected as an HDTV and setting limited range (that dell don't want to fix)
U2415, at least with A00, has pretty awful panel uniformity with a lot of darkness in corners and the bottom.
P2414H...uniformity was much better except on the left hand corners there's a lot of either backlight bleeding or excessive IPS glow so on a dark screen, head level with a corner it's fine but sit centrally on the screen and the corners are glowing a lot. Also it randomly turns itself off and on again.
P2314H has BGR panels which make fonts look awful.

On the plus side the backlight isnt PWM?

Has there been anyone who has ever figured out the off/on issue?

I have had this monitor for well over a year and while it has done it from time to time, it seems to do it more frequently. As much as a few times in a day.

Could it be bad capacitors? Which is something easy to replace if you know how to.
A few times every day or just on some days 2-3 times and on others no restart at all ? If it was bad capacitors it would have failed by now. I think it's a software problem.
Also do you have an Nvidia GPU with DVI ? Does anyone with an AMD GPU have this issue ?

Last edited:
I noticed one of my p2414hs turning off and on by itself. The gfx card is a Nvidia GT620 or something like that (lowest tier) with dual DVIs. Both monitors have exactly the same factory settings, but only one is having the issue.

The monitors I have are refurbished and im about 45 days out, so I have only 45 days of warranty left. If this isnt something I can fix, I need to set up an RMA before I run out of time.

I tried switching DVI and power cables and with the same result. It only started happening (about a week ago) and it seems random, once every few hours.

My setup:
-Msi X79
-Intel 3930k
-4x2gb Corsair DDR3
-Seasonic G-650
-Nvidia GT620
-Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit

I am thinking of getting a P2414H, until I started reading this thread.
Anyone with a Rev A01? Are the faults fixed?
It seems the on/off thing is with Nvidia cardsd. I will be using a Radeon and have DVI or DP to choose from.

I have been using 3 Dell 2007WFP monitors since 2007.

On a side note, why the hard on for 1200p? it is 16:10. I have been wanting to move to 16:9 for a while to get away from that ratio.

I am thinking of getting a P2414H, until I started reading this thread.
Anyone with a Rev A01? Are the faults fixed?
It seems the on/off thing is with Nvidia cardsd. I will be using a Radeon and have DVI or DP to choose from.

I have been using 3 Dell 2007WFP monitors since 2007.

On a side note, why the hard on for 1200p? it is 16:10. I have been wanting to move to 16:9 for a while to get away from that ratio.

both sets i have are A01 from may 2014.

Can anyone with an AMD gpu confirm whether they too have the on/off problem with this monitor?

I ask because I plan on upgrading my GPU soon and wonder if I should change over from nvidia to amd when the 300 series comes out.

Back