Dell P2414H

Even the guy at Overclockers.ru that NCX linked to says it doesn't appear grainy to view, it just shows its not as light in those macro photos as some other "semi glossy" screens. That doesn't mean it's grainy like all the very old IPS panels at all and you can tell its very comparable to other models everyone considers to be light AG coating anyway.

Yeah, according to them, it's the same light coating as the U2713HM.

This is incorrect. It is clearly not the same: http://www.overclockers.ru/images/lab/2013/09/26/1/107_kristaleffect_big.jpg

Even the guy at Overclockers.ru that NCX linked to says it doesn't appear grainy to view.

Yes, he does: "The crystalline effect is present here in full." You mentioned that it is similar to the TN panels which most experienced users classify as grainy. =DEAD= does mention that the coating is not as grainy as the older models and that most people should be ok with it, but you still ignored his first statement. The crystalline effect is present in full. LG's low end AH-IPS coating is grainier than Samsung's PLS coating. The VP2770 pic is clearly not focused properly compared to the S27A850D below it which uses the same coating.

The lack of semi-glossy coating probably a good thing though since all of the cheaper semi-glossy AH-IPS have been reported to suffer from cross-hatching and this monitors audience would likely dislike the higher degree of reflections.

Last edited:
NCX, you are selectively hearing what you want to hear from that review it seems to me. Let's look at the macro photos only for a moment from Dead, the P2414H IS very comparable to the U2713HM:

ybNNrVM.png

It is also very comparable to the which most people would consider to be of the "light AG" variety, certainly compared with older "grainy" IPS panels.

Ic7eVaJ.png

Yes, Dead says in his opening statement that "The crystalline effect is present here in full", although then goes on to contradict himself really by saying it isn't that bad, and isn't like old IPS AG coatings: " do not grieve, as new films used recently in the AH-IPS matrices, do not have so clear and sharp salient CE. This is confirmed by photographs. I would say that it is more soft, without such a coarse structure, and probably will not strain many people in their daily work"

So either it's there in full (heavy AG grainy coating) or its not?! the pictures seem to show it is similar to other light AG coatings people have gotten used to from recent screens.

I'm NOT saying it is as light as some "semi glossy" screens, and his macro photos show that as well. What i am saying is that it is comparable to other light AG coatings of recent AH-IPS panels, and should not be dismissed as grainy as a result. Other user reports beyond Dead's also confirm it to be light AG coating and not grainy in appearance (which Dead actually says as well).

H4QnBpZ.png

You can see the coating is certainly much lighter than old style AG coating on models like the NEC PA271W, Dell U2711 etc which would be considered grainy coatings

One might also note that the pixel size is 15% smaller with 27" 1440p vs 23.8" 1080p. That will affect the outcome of those AG-pictures somewhat.

I had owned Dell 2211H old coating style, U2412M, currently have VP2770, recently returned two 2713HM, and LG LG 27EA83R-D. When this monitor arrive I can tell the difference in coating , let you guys know

I actually bought TWO P2414H on sale at $230 each and running them side by side on my new i7 Haswell system. Can't beat the price for quality 24" IPS monitors that have height adjustment. They arrived last Monday, so been using these for a week. Considered Samsung's new MVA monitors, but they lacked height adjustment. Previously used ONE Ultrasharp 2209WA as main monitor for 3 years and still an awesome monitor.

Pros:
Colors, contrast, and clarity are all excellent on the P2414H. It is much brighter than my old ultrasharp due to LED backlight. The screen is actually not glossy at all. My reflection does not show up in the monitor as much as my other 21.5" Dell S2240T touchscreen monitor. Out of the box the colors are quite good, but I calibrated the monitors closer to 6500K.

Cons:
One of monitors has light bleeding on a couple sides, so in the process of exchanging it. No issues with the other monitor. Also, the viewing angle is not as good as ultrasharp, but this is at large angles. Comes with a useless VGA cable and display port cable. Missing HDMI input, but Dell should have included at least a DVI cable.

Overall, quite impressed with the price/performance ratio of this monitor. Most impressed is the black level and contrast of this monitor. IPS monitors I've used in the past, including the 2209WA, have grayish looking blacks. The blacks are quite dark on the P2414H, which is suprsingly good for IPS monitors.

One of monitors has light bleeding on a couple sides, so in the process of exchanging it.

This seems to be the case with 90% of the displays Dell ships. It's like they just don't care. It's also one of the reasons I'm hesitant to pull the trigger on any Dell display--I'll likely have to exchange it multiple times before hopefully getting one that's acceptable. If this process goes on for more than 30 days, they start sending you refurbs, putting you in an endless cycle of defective displays.

If it makes you feel any better, mine had no backlight bleeding.

Someone on another forum reported 78hz. He verified frame-skipping too. So it ought to be possible. But then there could be different PCB revisions, panel unit performance etc.

Did he explain how he did it? If I could skip all the tedious timing parameter testing then all the better.

For what it's worth, I've gotten much higher overclocks using the nvidia control panel with automatic timings on different monitors. CRU would always give no signal when I tried to match them using automatic. I needed to input all the numbers provided here by ToastyX to get higher refresh rates using CRU.

Unfortunately I'm on an AMD GPU, so I can't use that method.

Cons:
One of monitors has light bleeding on a couple sides, so in the process of exchanging it. No issues with the other monitor. Also, the viewing angle is not as good as ultrasharp, but this is at large angles. Comes with a useless VGA cable and display port cable. Missing HDMI input, but Dell should have included at least a DVI cable.

how does exchanging works with DELL? do they take the monitor back if there's too much backlight bleeding/dead pixels?

Did he explain how he did it? If I could skip all the tedious timing parameter testing then all the better.

I'm not sure it's possible unless you have an nvidia card. With nvidia, you go to the control panel, change resolution, customize, create custom resolution, then modify the input field for refresh rate (hz), leave everything else the way it is, click ok, make sure the new refresh rate has a check in the checkbox, click ok again, then select the new res under custom.

Note that most games will revert to 60hz in fullscreen despite the desktop running at higher custom refresh rate. There are however some games like battlefield that allow you to setup custom refresh rates in the options. The way around this is to run the games in windowed mode. I've read there are some rare instances where some games lock it to 60hz no matter what you do, but I've never run across any. Then you can look at something like this to get rid of the borders and simulate fullscreen.

Or you could just use CRU with manual timings.

NCX, you are selectively reading what you want to read from that review it seems to me.

I'm not. I have read most of =DEAD='s reviews and have used monitors with the same coating. They are visibly grainy, just like the TN's from my normal viewing distance of 60-75cm while I have to get within 15cm to see the sparkle on the semi-glossy IPS/PLS/AHVA panels I've tested.

Last edited:
For what it's worth, I've gotten much higher overclocks using the nvidia control panel with automatic timings on different monitors. CRU would always give no signal when I tried to match them using automatic.
It should be the opposite. The "LCD reduced" option in CRU should work with more monitors at 70-77 Hz than the automatic option in the NVIDIA control panel.

NVIDIA's automatic option is not the same as the automatic options in CRU. If anything, it's more like CRU's manual option because it doesn't actually set the timing parameters. It just uses whatever happens to be active at the moment, which is confusing because the values can change if you have a custom resolution active with different values. If you never changed the timing parameters, then it's just the same timing parameters as 60 Hz, which usually doesn't work at 70-77 Hz. NVIDIA doesn't have an equivalent to the "LCD reduced" option in CRU.

itschop said:
I needed to input all the numbers provided here by ToastyX to get higher refresh rates using CRU.
Did you try the "LCD reduced" timing option? You shouldn't need to enter those values manually.

itschop said:
I'm not sure it's possible unless you have an nvidia card. With nvidia, you go to the control panel, change resolution, customize, create custom resolution, then modify the input field for refresh rate (hz), leave everything else the way it is, click ok, make sure the new refresh rate has a check in the checkbox, click ok again, then select the new res under custom.
That's basically the same as adding a detailed resolution in CRU 1.1 and just changing the refresh rate. Keep in mind the 165 MHz pixel clock limit. You'll have to patch the driver if you want to go higher.

itschop said:
Note that most games will revert to 60hz in fullscreen despite the desktop running at higher custom refresh rate.
That won't happen with most games if you use CRU.

I got monitor today, I gonna only comment on the coating.
They has the grainy effect you could tell right away. But it's not as bad as the old coating style like 2711, no where as good as the 2713HM. It's just like the coating on U2412M. Overall, I'm like it's an ok monitor for the price

It should be the opposite. The "LCD reduced" option in CRU should work with more monitors at 70-77 Hz than the automatic option in the NVIDIA control panel.

NVIDIA's automatic option is not the same as the automatic options in CRU. If anything, it's more like CRU's manual option because it doesn't actually set the timing parameters. It just uses whatever happens to be active at the moment, which is confusing because the values can change if you have a custom resolution active with different values. If you never changed the timing parameters, then it's just the same timing parameters as 60 Hz, which usually doesn't work at 70-77 Hz. NVIDIA doesn't have an equivalent to the "LCD reduced" option in CRU.

Did you try the "LCD reduced" timing option? You shouldn't need to enter those values manually.

That's basically the same as adding a detailed resolution in CRU 1.1 and just changing the refresh rate. Keep in mind the 165 MHz pixel clock limit. You'll have to patch the driver if you want to go higher.

That won't happen with most games if you use CRU.

I always just left the timings on manual when trying CRU. The tutorials I followed at the time never mentioned of trying other settings like LCD reduced. I would try it again, but don't have the monitors any longer.

Very sure, little disappointed, thought it's going to be as good as higher end models

told you so :p PC Monitors also wrote that the coating is not as light as the U2713HM's semi-glossy coating.

Are you sure? That's REALLY grainy.

According to PC monitors it is not as grainy as the Uxx12 UltraSharps but noticeably more than the new high end ones. So I read that as an improvement but still not great.

I have P2414H and monitor is great! I tried to use CRU to change refresh rate to 72Hz/75Hz with this values http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1036906464&postcount=38 and everything is great except my card clocks changed to Core:500MHz and Memory:1250MHz in IDLE... What is wrong? I am using MSI 7950 GPU...

EDIT : My monitor was on 72Hz refresh rate and I just changed to 75Hz, now idle frequencies of GPU are normal at 300/150. Everything seems to be running normal.

Last edited:
ok so i just received mine

everything is good except for what seems to be a half lit pixel at first glance
so i look online and find UDpixel
i place a 1x1 pixel right where the half lit pixel seems to be, but as i move my head around, the dark spot that seems to be a half lit pixel seems to come from behind the pixel themselves

here's a video

https://mega.co.nz/#!hgQVgAxJ!AeMCSVUuZZmY-fvXlxijcA6YBg9mSBVbhl3jscmDCMg

what's this?

is this a dead led? i'm tired of returning monitors and waiting for the exchanged ones, every brand seems to be a gamble at this point

and there's also quite some backlight bleeding on the lower left and top left corners
image http://i.picpar.com/WEz.jpg

Last edited:
Has anyone seen the P2714H? Tft-central gave it a good review and said it uses a Samsung PLS panel. With the low input lag I was considering it for console gaming on the PS4.

Has anyone seen the P2714H? Tft-central gave it a good review and said it uses a Samsung PLS panel. With the low input lag I was considering it for console gaming on the PS4.
It uses PWM. Even though its PLS it performs very similarly to any IPS panel of the same size and specs. Monitors with those IPS panels usually have very low input lag also. But if one is hellbent on Dell, I guess its an alternative to their glass-glossy S2740L.

Nice to see so many opinions on this monitor! I'm going to buy it over the holidays to make sure I can get the best deal on it. Hopefully I can get 75Hz @ 1080p! I'll keep you guys posted. :)

Apart from Dell's controversial levels of QA, this monitor seems like a winner - especially for the price.

Does anyone know how the AG coating would compare to an old run-of-the-mill matte TN panel (like a BenQ V2400W or G2420HD?) Think I'm ready to take the plunge but don't have a reference point for how grainy the coating really is.

Hello,

i read lot of opinions here for this monitor thus i d like to share my experience.
Dell P2414H can be overclocked to 80Hz without frame skipping.

Dell_P2414H-80Hz_no_FS.png

The settings i am using for the HD4000 iGPU are:

In windows 8.1:
Press Win + R and type: CustomModeApp
Set accordingly:
Horizontal Active: 1920
Horizontal Front Porch: 30
Horizontal Sync Width: 40
Horizontal Back Porch: 45
Horizontal Total: 2035
Horizontal Sync: +

Vertical Active: 1080
Vertical Front Porch: 3
Vertical Sync Width: 4
Vertical Back Porch: 5
Vertical Total: 1092
Vertical Sync: +

80Hz

Overall a price worthy monitor, comfort to continuous reading (no PWM) and good to all around use (gaming, browsing, watching videos).

Last edited:
So, I received mine today. I have to be honest, I don't notice the grain at all. Colors look fantastic and I have it overclocked to 80hz. Some things I noticed are the inputs on the back of the monitor are a bit hard to use given the space available and the stand isn't nearly as sturdy as I thought. Not a big deal. I'm very pleased with it, especially after a few hours of gaming. Highly recommended!

How about image processing on this dell?
Recently I've bought Eizo ev2336w and had to return it because of the subpixels. I think everything is manufactured that way nowadays. You never know what you get until you get it...
So maybe I should give a try to less expensive monitors. What do you think, is it suitable for amateur image processing (after calibration)? Echhh it's only 86% srgb coverage, not the best score...
Greets!

Afaik 100% of all monitors have RGB subpixels. Only thing to do about that is get higher DPI so that you will not be able to discern individual subpixels. You could try something 1080p at 21.5", 1440p or the recent UHD 4k res monitors if you can afford them. :p

Actually more grainy anti-glare might help the problem a tiny bit since it acts like sort of a blur filter. I think the EV2336W have fairly light coating and this Dell supposedly have medium grain.

I bought this monitor today and the backlight bleeding is quite annoying.

Is this the best I can hope for from this model, or should I ask for it to be replaced?

Of course, all monitors have rgb subpixels, some of those pixels may be broken on the start. That's why something like quality control was invented ;-) And I suppose it doesn't exist in this price range, even with eizo and nec. So I started thinking of buying something less expensive than eizo, for ex this dell.
Coating is not a big problem, it's still better than previous dell models. Besides this "coating problem" is a little bit exaggerated in my opinion. Most of people don't see it until they get here ;-)
For me colour accuracy is the most important thing... And if the only difference between eizo ev2336 and this dell is lighter coating on the first one, I'm pretty sure it is not worth paying extra money only for that...

mystikl it is possible to get a better one but it's also possible to get worst. It's a lottery, read above about quality issues. And according to other forum topics, especially dell has problems on this field...

I bought this monitor today and the backlight bleeding is quite annoying.

Is this the best I can hope for from this model, or should I ask for it to be replaced?

This could also be IPS glow, hard to tell from the angle the shot was placed. Look straight on to the corner (not at an angle) and see if the bleed/glow goes away. IPS screens are notorious for the glow effect, not much can be done sadly.

This could also be IPS glow, hard to tell from the angle the shot was placed. Look straight on to the corner (not at an angle) and see if the bleed/glow goes away. IPS screens are notorious for the glow effect, not much can be done sadly.
It's definitely bleeding, I've looked at it from every angle and distance, also in games there's a yellow tint in the entire corner. I'm gonna try and return it monday.

I have a question concerning sRGB gamut coverage.
According to dell, u2412hm has a colour gamut of 82% (CIE 1976) and 95.8% sRGB. Dell P2414h has a gamut of 86% (CIE 1976) and 72% NTSC. But there's no information about srgb coverage. In TFT Central review there's also no information about srgb coverage, just a statement "the monitors colour gamut (black triangle) matches the sRGB colour space pretty well". I'm a little concerned about that "pretty well" phrase...

What is the sRGB gamut coverage of Dell P2414h monitor? Is it better/the same as u2412 or worse?

It appears as though this monitor does have some backlight bleeding issues. From what I've gathered, many have this problem. I suppose I'm one of the few lucky ones because there is some slight bleed but it's nothing to be concerned about, definitely not distracting in the slightest. Mine certainly doesn't look like what is in that image so I would recommend returning it and just hope for the best. There is some IPS glow like was already stated but from all the IPS monitors I've seen the Dell is actually really good at minimizing it and I don't notice it unless I'm trying to look for it. Good luck! :)

Would anyone be able to comment on the AG coating compared to the Asus VS24AH?

I just got this monitor an I can confirm that the coating is grainy. I don't have the Asus to compare it to, but I have an old dell 2007fp and it is just as bad.

I am deciding if I am going to keep it. I don't know if there are any other monitors in that price range <$300 that are both PWM free and have light coating.

2 melodystyle2003
Hi!
I could not repeat you success. I tried different values... from 72-75-80Hz.
What am I doing wrong?
Can you show me you screenshot with parameters and do you use VGA?

Win 7, i3-3225 HD4000, VGA cable. 1920&#1093;1080 32bit, last version of Intel Video Driver.

23808ed2344d.png

Back