Dell P2414H

doubeint

n00b
Why is this monitor almost getting no recognition? It sounds like a pretty solid IPS display: AH-IPS, PWM free, light AG coating, good colors/contrast, sub frame input delay, no overshoot issues, IPS glow drastically minimized and very small back light bleed. Aside from it not being 16:10 and not having HDMI, I don't see a problem with this one. Yet I see very few people talking about it.

I'm seriously considering buying this for gaming and general use but I'm a bit hesitant to do so because of the lack of hype surrounding it. Does anyone actually own this monitor or have any experience with it?

Probably because it's not 16:10.

I don't care about that and the TFT Central review was pretty positive, so I think I'm going to get one as my 2nd monitor.

From the image on that site it looks like it's way more grainy than the U2413, what a disappointment. Although I suppose it's still a worthy buy given its price range due to it not having issues as some Ultrasharps do. Very helpful post too, btw.

Probably because it's not 16:10.

I don't care about that and the TFT Central review was pretty positive, so I think I'm going to get one as my 2nd monitor.

If you get one please let us know how you feel about it. There's not all that much information out there so any opinion would be welcomed. I think I'm going to wait a month or two and see if there is anything else that gets released that has some lighter AG coating. Hopefully Microcenter will get this bad boy in stock and I can test it out there myself. If I don't find anything I'm just going to buy it anyways, aside from the AG coating this monitor is just too solid to pass up I believe.

I ordered it off Amazon today, so should be here on Monday.

I would post impressions but honestly I am nowhere as knowledgeable of monitors as a lot of members here, wouldn't be able to tell you much besides if it looks good or has any glaring flaws.

I ordered it off Amazon today, so should be here on Monday.

I would post impressions but honestly I am nowhere as knowledgeable of monitors as a lot of members here, wouldn't be able to tell you much besides if it looks good or has any glaring flaws.

Congrats! Like I said, any opinion would be welcomed. I'm looking forward to hearing what you have to say about it! :)

It obviously is light! It's very similar to the Dell U2713HM in those images, and I you compare it to TN film and AMVA models (known for having subtle AG coating) its also very similar. It may not be quite as light (semu glossy?) as some other models, but it's obviously an improvement over old models like the HP ZR2440w and ZR2740w shown.

=DEAD=, the author of the review disagrees: "The crystalline effect is present here in full." I tested the VX2770SMH-LED which has the same coating, it is obviously grainy vs. semi-glossy PLS & semi-glossy AH-IPS.

I look forward to reading about the "special," quality control issues (image retention, flickering horizontal lines, PWM lottery) the P2414H, like pretty much every other new Dell monitor suffer from. The HP Z24i only costs 50$ more vs. the P2414H's default price, is 1200p & semi-glossy.

Last edited:
=DEAD=, the author of the review disagrees: "The crystalline effect is present here in full." I tested the VX2770SMH-LED which has the same coating, it is obviously grainy vs. semi-glossy PLS & semi-glossy AH-IPS..

fair enough, but his test pictures show otherwise. It's very comparable in his test pictures to the BenQ BL2411PT, Dell U2913WM, NEC P232W, ViewSonic VP2770-LED (which you yourself will agree is light AG coated i'm sure!) and Dell U2713HM - all of which are known to be "light AG" coated IPS screens. Obviously there's some subtle variations, but you couldn't call it a heavy, grainy coating really. TFTCentral also confirmed it doesn't show a grainy appearance and would be classified as light AG in their observations.

in fact Dead goes on to say that although there is a crystaline effect shown from his macro "photos: " do not grieve, as new films used recently in the AH-IPS matrices, do not have so clear and sharp salient CE. This is confirmed by photographs. I would say that it is more soft, without such a coarse structure, and probably will not strain many people in their daily work"

but on the other hand obviously not as grainy as older IPS panels like the NEC PA271W, Dell U2711, HP ZR2740w and HP ZR2440w, which are known for their grainy AG appearance.

so somewhere in the middle, not as "semi glossy" as some other models, but still a light AG coating so i don't think it's fair to dismiss it really as having a heavy, grainy AG coating that everyone should avoid :)

so somewhere in the middle, not as "semi glossy" as some other models, but still a light AG coating so i don't think it's fair to dismiss it really as having a heavy, grainy AG coating that everyone should avoid :)

That's what I think as well. Reading reviews of lots of these new 1080p AH-IPS models and they seem to have a much lighter coat than the old U2412Ms etc. but not semi glossy like some of the higher end models. According to Twitter pcmonitors is reviewing this model too and they always comment on screen coat.

fair enough, but his test pictures show otherwise. It's very comparable in his test pictures to the BenQ BL2411PT, Dell U2913WM, NEC P232W, ViewSonic VP2770-LED (which you yourself will agree is light AG coated i'm sure!) and Dell U2713HM - all of which are known to be "light AG" coated IPS screens.

It's still neither the same, nor as light, which is why =DEAD= says the Crystalline effect is present in full. He never writes this for the semi-glossy coatings. Not all of his macro shots are properly focused either which is why reading the text is critical.

I don't quite get why anyone would want to buy the 2414 in the first place, unless they had a lot of Dell credit they needed to spend, or something like that. You can get an Asus 24" 1200p IPS for less, or the HP model mentioned above, for a little bit more. Wait for a sale, and the HP may be around the same price, and is 1200p with a better coating, and hopefully without all the issues that seem to plague Dell monitors.

I don't quite get why anyone would want to buy the 2414 in the first place, unless they had a lot of Dell credit they needed to spend, or something like that. You can get an Asus 24" 1200p IPS for less, or the HP model mentioned above, for a little bit more. Wait for a sale, and the HP may be around the same price, and is 1200p with a better coating, and hopefully without all the issues that seem to plague Dell monitors.

Which ASUS 24" 1200p IPS are you referring to? The ASUS VS24AH-P is another one I'm having trouble finding much information on. I don't know if it has input lag, overshoot issues, bad IPS glow, back-light bleed, etc. Maybe you could share some insight on this one.

The ASUS PA248Q has PWM flicker, worse contrast ratio and colors than the P2414H and is supposed to have an "older type" of AG coating. This information was from tft so I don't know if it's entirely accurate or not.

The HP Z24i is $100 more than the P2414H, or maybe I'm looking at the wrong places. I actually love the quality of HP monitors, I've seen them in action before and they are very beautiful. However, from reading about HP monitors in the past I've seen that they all have major input lag issues. This is a big no-no for me as I play fighting games that require 1 frame links. If i wasn't a gamer, this one would probably be the one I would have. I also have yet to find good information on this monitor as well so I'm in the dark on this.

Something else to note is that the P2414H has an excellent stand, something that other monitors seem to be lacking. Also, 1080p is sort of an issue with me as I would like to have good FOV in games as well as be able to properly use my PS3/360. If the monitor was good enough I might reconsider though.

What is all this I hear about issues with Dell? I thought they made quality monitors, has this changed? If it has issues shouldn't it be very easy to get a replacement due to all the guarantees that they offer?

The VS24AH has a 12.9khz PWM frequency, trace free overdrive control and won't have any input lag like the PA & PB248Q. The pixel response times will be very similar to the PB248Q's (Trace Free 20=no overshoot according to PRAD).

Only have to worry about higher end 1200p models (U2413H, P242W, PA242W, Eizos) displays having lag.

The HP Z24i doesn't have any input lag (0.8ms signal delay vs. ZR2440W 18.3ms according to PRAD). Surely if one can afford to spend 300$ on a monitor they can afford PRAD's 2.5 Euro/3.42 US review.

B & H has the Z24i for 323$, I bet if one were to call HP they could get a deal. I live in Canada so I'm familiar with all of the US retailers...

Last edited:
Which ASUS 24" 1200p IPS are you referring to? The ASUS VS24AH-P is another one I'm having trouble finding much information on. I don't know if it has input lag, overshoot issues, bad IPS glow, back-light bleed, etc. Maybe you could share some insight on this one.
on this.

What is all this I hear about issues with Dell? I thought they made quality monitors, has this changed? If it has issues shouldn't it be very easy to get a replacement due to all the guarantees that they offer?

I was referring to the VS24AH, which is about $220 or so. I am not aware if there is a Prad review, so don't know if a ton of info is out there yet. I think they come in two flavors, one with a proper stand and a cheaper model without.

As for Dell, I never really associated them with quality monitors. Perhaps in pre-LED days they were better, but during the last 2 years or so all I have read about are bleed/overdrive/tinting issues. It doesn't mean you would definitely have a problem, but I don't consider Dell synonymous with quality. And yeah, you can play the swap game with Dell if you want, but it may take several tries. And I'm not sure if they replace with a refurb or not.

For people hunting for a monitor now, I'd probably say wait until Black Friday (if in the US). Around that time is when there are deals to be found, at least for mainstream monitors.

The VS24AH has a 12.9khz PWM frequency, trace free overdrive control and won't have any input lag like the PA & PB248Q. The pixel response times will be very similar to the PB248Q's (Trace Free 20=no overshoot according to PRAD).

Only have to worry about higher end 1200p models (U2413H, P242W, PA242W, Eizos) displays having lag.

The HP Z24i doesn't have any input lag (0.8ms signal delay vs. ZR2440W 18.3ms according to PRAD). Surely if one can afford to spend 300$ on a monitor they can afford PRAD's 2.5 Euro/3.42 US review.

B & H has the Z24i for 323$, I bet if one were to call HP they could get a deal. I live in Canada so I'm familiar with all of the US retailers...

Thanks for being so helpful! Out of curiosity you wouldn't happen to know the exact input lag numbers for the VS24AH would you? At the price the ASUS is going for it sounds like an absolute steal if it's less than half a frame. I could probably live with the bad stand, lol.

I was referring to the VS24AH, which is about $220 or so. I am not aware if there is a Prad review, so don't know if a ton of info is out there yet. I think they come in two flavors, one with a proper stand and a cheaper model without.

As for Dell, I never really associated them with quality monitors. Perhaps in pre-LED days they were better, but during the last 2 years or so all I have read about are bleed/overdrive/tinting issues. It doesn't mean you would definitely have a problem, but I don't consider Dell synonymous with quality. And yeah, you can play the swap game with Dell if you want, but it may take several tries. And I'm not sure if they replace with a refurb or not.

For people hunting for a monitor now, I'd probably say wait until Black Friday (if in the US). Around that time is when there are deals to be found, at least for mainstream monitors.

Ahah! I see. I'll try to look into the different variations of the VS24AH. If I can find one with a better stand that would be nice.

Yeah, I think waiting for Black Friday would be a wise decision. I'm not wanting to buy something right away, just trying to see what's out there and try to get the best for the money when the time comes. I figured the P2414H would be a safe bet but now you guys are starting to make me think otherwise, lol. Hopefully soon we will all get more information on some of these monitors to make a better decision.

Thanks for being so helpful! Out of curiosity you wouldn't happen to know the exact input lag numbers for the VS24AH would you? At the price the ASUS is going for it sounds like an absolute steal if it's less than half a frame. I could probably live with the bad stand, lol.

No but I can guarantee the VS24AH won't have any lag. The VS24AH has the same coating as the P2414H. All of the frame-less AH-IPS and low-mid range models have the same coating.

The HP is semi-glossy, has a height adjustable stand and HP's warranty is way better vs. Asus who are famous for not honoring warranty claims. The HP is worth the extra $.

No but I can guarantee the VS24AH won't have any lag. The VS24AH has the same coating as the P2414H. All of the frame-less AH-IPS and low-mid range models have the same coating.

The HP is semi-glossy, has a height adjustable stand and HP's warranty is way better vs. Asus who are famous for not honoring warranty claims. The HP is worth the extra $.

Yeah it looks like the HP has just as good of a stand as the Dell if not better. The 0.8ms of lag is quite impressive too. I take it the HP doesn't have overshoot issues or anything I should worry about either? $320 is a tad bit pricey for me but I'm sure I could find a deal on it somewhere that makes it close to the P2414H's price.

What are your thoughts on the Z23i? Is it the same monitor only smaller size/res? That could be an option as well.

$320 is a tad bit pricey for me but I'm sure I could find a deal on it somewhere that makes it close to the P2414H's price.

If it's over your budget, and you have decent credit, look for credit card signup deals. Usually they have things like $200-$300 back if you spend 1K in three months, that sort of thing.

I did that for a Dell 2412 some time ago... although I hated the monitor, even with $200 off. But it's a way to knock off some of the cost, assuming those deals are still out there.I think Capital One has a $100 off $500 Quicksilver card, and Amex probably has something too.

Any more info on this display? This looks like a good non-grainy alternative to the popular 2412m.

Any more info on this display? This looks like a good non-grainy alternative to the popular 2412m.

I would also be interested if anyone knows of any more reviews. This looks like an awesome monitor for people that want to avoid the plethora of PWM flickering monitors everywhere.

Except for the non-adjustable overdrive. That must be one of the most moronic policy of any monitor manufacturer out there. Its like they want to hide the fact that its a partially a computing trick that gets response timing of 8ms, 5ms or whatever.

But then I'm in a very small minority of overdrive hate. :) Its good for games but bad for everything else, in my opinion. It causes flicker when scrolling text and also during movie playback.

I've had this monitor for a bit over a week now. To address some of the concerns:

-Mine accepts 70Hz @ 1080p. 72 and above isn't possible.
-Gaming is fine, I didn't notice any obvious ghosting. Obviously not as smooth as my Asus VG248QE, but it's more than enough for non-twitch shooters.
-I don't have any real problems with it. IQ is pretty great and so far I've been satisfied with my purchase.

Honestly I have no idea what the real visual difference is between "light" and "aggressive" coating, so I can't comment on that. All I can say is that it looks similar to my other monitor as far as glare goes.

-Mine accepts 70Hz @ 1080p. 72 and above isn't possible.
May I asked how you did that? One need to fiddle a bit with the timings on some monitors to get to 75hz. The fact that it accepts over 60hz at all usually means it can do 75hz.

Someone on another forum reported 78hz. He verified frame-skipping too. So it ought to be possible. But then there could be different PCB revisions, panel unit performance etc.

I used this: http://www.monitortests.com/forum/Thread-Custom-Resolution-Utility-CRU

Didn't spend too much time with it, only checked if it would display each refresh rate.

For what it's worth, I've gotten much higher overclocks using the nvidia control panel with automatic timings on different monitors. CRU would always give no signal when I tried to match them using automatic. I needed to input all the numbers provided here by ToastyX to get higher refresh rates using CRU.

Frame skipping?
No frame-skipping, that is. Some monitors sort of fake higher refresh rates with 60hz by accepting it as input but "skipping" frames instead of displaying them all. The result looks horrible to anyone with a keen eye for such things.

is this the one at amazon ? http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EMB4KVI/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 Why amazon had WHXV7 as the model number
price is good and screen coating is good(light AG) from TFTcentral review. I ordered one
Screen Coating

The screen coating on the P2414H is much like that featured on other recent Dell IPS screens like the U2413, U2713H and U2713HM, all of which has been a positive change. It is a normal anti-glare (AG) offering as opposed to any kind of glossy coating. However, this is contrary to a lot of other older IPS based screens which usually feature a grainy and aggressive solution. Instead it is a light AG coating which retains its anti-glare properties to avoid unwanted reflections, but does not produce an overly grainy or dirty image.

As a side note, some users reported a "cross hatching" appearance on the 27" U2713HM screen, where on very close inspection you could detect a small grid like effect as part of the coating. This didn't affect everyone of course but it was something some people complained about or became sensitive to. Having seen this so-called cross hatching on the U2713HM we're pleased to report that the new P2414H does not suffer from this, even when looking very closely for it.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Is overdrive really that bad or does flickering only occur during overshoot? It sounds like that would get really annoying during slow panning movie scenes if there's flickering.

BTW, AceCR42, thanks for sharing! :)

I've had my monitor for a few days and the colors look great coming from a TN panel. The light bleed / IPS glow from the bottom left is a little annoying on dark images though.

Is overdrive really that bad or does flickering only occur during overshoot? It sounds like that would get really annoying during slow panning movie scenes if there's flickering.
Dont worry about it too much. Its mainly my personal pet peeve. If you study the response time measurements in the TFT central review and compare it to some other reviews you can see that the overshoot is quite mild. Its much less pronounced than for example the U2413. There is no such detailed test of U2412M but looking at the test-images you can see that its fairly bad there also. Hundreds of thousands of U2412M owners (albeit most of them are clueless) have no problem with the overshoot.

Nevertheless. I'm still annoyed by Dell not including the option to at least turn it off. I just cant see the reason why not including it.

Back