Dell Optiplex 980 Power Supply

TitaniumZX

Limp Gawd
Work got me a Dell Optiplex 980 that came with a 250 watt "green" power supply. This wasn't enough to run my 4870 for gaming. I purchased a 550 watt power supply only to find out that it only accepts what Dell calls "mini 24 pin ATX" connection. I found the adapter here and figured I was set...until I got the adapter. Dell didn't follow the standard ATX pin arrangements so I had to use a voltmeter and re-arranged all the pins. Below is what I mapped by looking at the connector from the PSU side. Here's the standard 20 pin ATX pinouts. Hopefully this will help others as I couldn't find anything on the net.

Code:
						   I   I        
***********************************************************************************************************
*GR	GR  	3.3v  	3.3v  	4.8v(gray)	GR  	12v  	-12v        GR	Green(Power)	5v	5v*
*GR  	GR  	12v   	3.3v  	GR          	GR  	12v  	5v(purple)  GR	5v          	5v	5v*
***********************************************************************************************************

GR = Ground or black cable

OP would you happen to have a more clearer picture of what you did? As I am currently trying to do the same thing as well. The above diagram that you included is that looking at the 20pin ATX connector side?

I also wanted to upgrade my Dell Optiplex 980, and used the scheme of TitaniumZX (Which is probably also usefull for the Dell Optiplex 960) :
Dell_Optiplex%20980_Power%20Supply_Motherboard_Connector.png

Photo of my current power supply and connector.
Optiplex_Power_Supply_Connector.jpg

Good old dell up to there tricks again! I thought they were long done with special PSU connectors, but I guess not. :rolleyes:

Hi

Just bought the Optiplex 980, and subsequently a Radeon 5850 card.. Didn't know about the troubles I was heading into. Evidently I need at least a 500 W PSU to run it, and so I thought I could get an ATX PSU. I haven't bought anything, but notice people have been having issues with the 24-pin Dell-thing..

So does anyone know whether this solution (above) worked? I notice that the rearranging mentioned in the first post is identical to the arrangement on the original Dell PSU.. I have never been doing any rearranging like that, so if someone could provide a more detailed walkthrough, it would be great.

Saw in the Dell-forum in a post providing a link to this forum that it in addition was difficult to get a Dell-PSU of the caliber one needs to this graphics card, so an ATX seems to be the only option.

Can't believe this impracticality!

Anyone?

They're using pico ATX cabling even on the mini towers now? This is bad.

This was limited to the SD/SFF chassis. Optiplex 780 tower uses the regular ATX port AFAIK. I should check the 980 tower I ordered for someone...

Hi

Just bought the Optiplex 980, and subsequently a Radeon 5850 card.. Didn't know about the troubles I was heading into. Evidently I need at least a 500 W PSU to run it, and so I thought I could get an ATX PSU. I haven't bought anything, but notice people have been having issues with the 24-pin Dell-thing..

So does anyone know whether this solution (above) worked? I notice that the rearranging mentioned in the first post is identical to the arrangement on the original Dell PSU.. I have never been doing any rearranging like that, so if someone could provide a more detailed walkthrough, it would be great.

Saw in the Dell-forum in a post providing a link to this forum that it in addition was difficult to get a Dell-PSU of the caliber one needs to this graphics card, so an ATX seems to be the only option.

Can't believe this impracticality!

Anyone?

Wait, how did you get a 5850 inside?

Solution...

First of all....
I found this forum because I have similar problems with upgrading the video card on a Optiplex 980...

I was upgrading the videocard to a PNY GeForce GTX 460 OC XLR8 Video Card
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...26&Tpk=PNY GeForce GTX 460 OC XLR8 Video Card

couldnt do it because of the power supply!

The FSP Group Booster X 5.25" 450W Dedicated Graphics Card PSU
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...-_-na-_-na&AID=10521304&PID=3891137&SID=194r0

Works GREAT on the Optiplex 980 with the adapter of course....
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...-_-na-_-na&AID=10521304&PID=3891137&SID=194r0

Thank YOU kalieaire for that solution..

Now I find out the damn 2nd PCIe X16 (-_-) is wired as 4x... FUCK!!!!

After getting all power supply stuff situated there was the dreaded problem of the damn heatsink and motherboard getting in the way!!

I found this
http://cgi.ebay.com/PCI-Express-2-0...192?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5d2ad484a8

AND IT ALL WORKS FINALLY!!!
Haven't had ANY problems since!
Installed the drivers.. etc..
Played Dead Rising 2 great...

The only problem I'm having is properly mounting the video card inside the tower..
As you can see from the picture, its ghetto fabulous.. I have a couple of ideas for fixing this but if anyone has any suggestions PLEASE let me know... and also if any of you guys see some problems that I might run into let me know...

PS
Fuck DELL!
I'm glad i got this machine for nothing (it was my father's) (he did not need it)..
Otherwise it would have been a lengthy investment just to upgrade the damn video card.....

I hope this helped fellas and you guys get your machines up and running soon..

2010-12-11_21-04-48_780.jpg

2010-12-11_21-04-57_233.jpg

2010-12-11_21-05-22_200.jpg

2010-12-11_21-07-09_328.jpg

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I realized this one the other day. Dell uses the BTX standard supply in their 980 minitower (I have a lab of 30 where I work that were near the first group that was ever produced). From what I remember in terms of ATX vs BTX is certain pins are shuffled around and the keying is reversed by 180 degrees. As for the picoBTX connector in the SDT/SFF machines, I have seen it in all of the 760s of those 2 formfactors along with some late run 755 units.

Hi There !

I just finishing conversion of my optiplex 960 to 980 mainly thanks to this thread :)
(ATX issues.... THX djexplo for photos!)
Was wondering maybe there is a chance to get Optiplex 980 Front Panel IO (FIO) and Front Panel connector (FRONTPANEL) pinout or just hi res photo of plug like djexplo's ATX photos?
980 FIO is important, 960 FRONTPANEL is 99% same as in 980
Its not a big deal to get that stuff on ebay but Im trying to finish my little "project" with replacing only mobo and heatsink :)

Thanks for help in advance ! :)

Cheers for all
Martin

Last edited:
Thank you TitaniumZX. Your wiring diagram allowed me to put a decent power supply in my 980. Removing those little pins was a bitch, but it works perfectly now.

Is the diagram for the 20 pin side of the adapter? Or the one from the PSU to the motherboard?

This is the kit I used to remove the pins but a small flathead will also work. Just look at my diagram and arrange the pins from the ATX connector side of the adapter in my link. Just to clarify, you do not remove any pins from your new power supply, but the pins from the part of adapter that plugs into your new power supply. Just make sure you have the correct orientation from the notch on the connector. I'll see if I can snap some pics when I get back to the office.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Okay cool, thanks a lot for the help, I really appreciate it. I want make an open case setup with a Dell 780 and a 5870. Here's a pic:

IMG_20111019_235909.jpg

Also, idk if this is the right place to ask, but that small board going to the upper left hand side has the power button. Is there any other way to turn it on besides having that?

Thanks

I guess I didn't explain things real well in my original post. The reason you see my diagram with 24 pins instead of the 20 is because I'm explaining what needs to be supplied to the Dell motherboard (black connector of the adapter looking at the adapter end with notch up top and wires going away from you). Since the adapter is only 20 pins, some wires will be combined and one that's not needed by Dell (you can see it's cut on the first pic with no connection). One last thing, this has worked for me and a couple of others in the office with the same machine but definitely do this at your own risk because I'm not responsible for any mishaps.

Here's what the adapter looks like after the conversion:

Notch side down
DellPSU1.jpg

Notch side up.
DellPSU2.jpg

Here are some more info with better images.

If you have a different Dell model and want to know if this will work, here are photos of the connector from the original Dell Power Supply.

Notch view
DellPSU1.jpg

Bottom view
DellPSU2.jpg

Adapter notch down:
Adapter1.jpg

Adapter2.jpg

Adapter3.jpg

Adapter4.jpg

Adapter5.jpg

Adapter notch up:
AdapterN1.jpg

AdapterN2.jpg

Has anyone found a place to buy a pre-re-wired one of these? My cutting and soldering skills are not that good. I contacted PC Power & Cooling (the company is now named FirePower Technology) who used to make Dell upgrade power supplys years ago, but they do not have a supply for this model of Dell. No help in the Dell forums, they referred me back to here. Maybe I should contact the company that makes the adapters, but they are probably not local. (Update-kdmpower.com who makes the adapter linked to above, replied to my email.
Sorry, we do not have the cable you need. And it is also not recommended to use Hp Slimline cable to convert to a Dell cable. It could burn your motherboard.
Any other ideas? Can you use a needle or something similar to pop the pins out of the large end of the adapter, move them around and then pop them back in place?

Last edited:
Just wanted to say I had this exact same issue and this diagram saved my ass. I ordered the cable and rearranged the wires and it worked perfect. Im staying away from Dell in the future because I had the same issue with having to deal with proprietary cables. Thanks alot though

Lenovo also has proprietary power cable shenanigans.
Cheap adapters for Dell and Lenovo are available from eBay.

About that annoying mini power connector found in our DELL machines, I found the wiring colors match the typical ATX spec which made for a VERY fast wire up to a spare ULTRA 500W ATX supply I had in the parts bin. I de-soldered the mini connector from the broken DELL PSU, stripped/tinned the wire ends, and slipped them one by one into the ULTRA's ATX 24 pin connector color for color. YMMV, verify with a multimeter prior to proceeding by wire color matching. Same worked for the 5V CD-ROM mini SATA power connector. System works fantastic as the new firewall running PfSense; I found it had a Core 2 E8400 @ 3GHz in it, which means it will run the two gigabit NICs at their wire speed (if the opportunity arises).

Background:
I had a Optiplex 760 thought to be 'non-working' collecting dust in the garage until I pulled it out today (was given to me free as parts with a working 760 which is my son's HTPC). My ACER laptop (BSD router/firewall) decided to call it quits, thus I needed a replacement to get my Internet working again for the Easter weekend - time to make not working parts work again.

I tested the 760's PSU and found +12V at 11.30V, motherboard refused to turn on until forced into test mode which then it would fail to POST. Opening of the PSU yielded some rounded capacitors. Deciding not to repair it (due to my chances of creating shorts in its tight circuit layout - and repeat blowing caps), I de-soldered all of its connectors as per my first paragraph and mated them up to my victim ATX PSU.

Edit: When showcasing my work to a friend, I noticed two solder pads had a fine short between them causing a resistor feeding the 12V reference line to be bypassed, which would cause an over voltage leading to the blown capacitors. These DELL mini power supplies are so insanely tight with their solder pads that their solder work can easily bridge itself over time, especially if overheated. Therefore it is definitely not worth repairing an OEM one if you have one fail, it will fail again in short order - modifying a quality external ATX/EPS 24 pin supply is the way to go. I wonder who did their UL/Intertek certification...

Last edited:
Back