Dell now sells amd cpus any eta's to systems

umbra

[H]ard|Gawd
I don't like dell but I feel this is a step in the right direction for them. I mean they tried to cut costs everywhere and released an inferior product. I think now that they are saving money in the most obvious place (the cpu) I think they might spend the money they saved to buy better components in their systems. Also anybody have a guess when they will finally release some amd systems?

They've sold AMD CPU's for quite some time off and on, and I doubt we'll see any AMD based systems from them, at least in the forseeable future. Dell and Intel have a cozy relationship and they'll probably keep it that way.

Hmm, a company save money in on place, then spend it on other stuff. Me thinks the stockholders might have a problem with that.

I no longer see the cost savings of AMD over Intel? That may have been the case a year or 2 ago but recent AMD cpu's are as, or more expensive than Intel cpu's.

I think it is good that Dell now gives to consumers a chose of AMD or Intel. But I do not believe Dell is doing it to save money.

Dell has been "selling" AMD CPUs for over 18 months straight, and has offered them for sale several other times in the past. Those are handled just like most other non-Dell hardware: the orders are fulfilled by a 3rd party (Tech Data).

Don't expect any systems.

CpuMan said:
I no longer see the cost savings of AMD over Intel? That may have been the case a year or 2 ago but recent AMD cpu's are as, or more expensive than Intel cpu's.

I think it is good that Dell now gives to consumers a chose of AMD or Intel. But I do not believe Dell is doing it to save money.
AMD's still got more price/performance mostly :)

CpuMan said:
AMD finally figured out they have the better CPU. What would you do in a situation like that? I sure know what I would do. ;)

When you see Dell selling AMD motherboards then maybe we are getting closer to systems....

Erasmus354 said:
When you see Dell selling AMD motherboards then maybe we are getting closer to systems....

I wouldn't put it that way, but I hear Dell has an exclusivity contract with Intel for another two years.

oops I guess your right. I looked around and I see now that your right dell is exclusively intel for the moment but I hope in the future that they realize the benefits of having a dual cpu product line.... and maybe spend a little money to make more reliable computers instead of cheap ones. when that will happen :confused:

sac_tagg said:
AMD finally figured out they have the better CPU. What would you do in a situation like that? I sure know what I would do. ;)
AMD the reason why comupter's don't have a nazi sign on them
Linux "same reason"

Umm yeah Intels are hot....AMD's are cooler....Intel makes my room too hot.....BOB SAGET!!!!

umbra said:
oops I guess your right. I looked around and I see now that your right dell is exclusively intel for the moment but I hope in the future that they realize the benefits of having a dual cpu product line.... and maybe spend a little money to make more reliable computers instead of cheap ones. when that will happen :confused:

I work very closely with Dell and I can tell you they see the benefits of having a single vendor supply cpus for their pcs. They won't be going with AMD any time soon. It would cost too much money, look at HP, how do they perform compared to Dell? It's just cheaper to support one platform...

ND40oz said:
I work very closely with Dell and I can tell you they see the benefits of having a single vendor supply cpus for their pcs. They won't be going with AMD any time soon. It would cost too much money, look at HP, how do they perform compared to Dell? It's just cheaper to support one platform...

Obviously you don't work close enough

http://www.forbes.com/technology/feeds/afx/2005/11/20/afx2347168.html

Dell Inc has informed its Taiwan contract makers of plans to develop devices based on Advanced Micro Devices Inc's microprocessors, and these suppliers are awaiting orders for global shipment

There was an article on the INQ yesterday about Dell having to eventually move to AMD.

It tends to agree with my theories that with the tide turned to AMD on server chips - where customers are starting to prefer AMD to Intel... Dell has a major problem there.

If you ran a server farm - what would you want? Imagine the cost savings for electricity and cooling.... To me it is a no brainer. Unless Intel pulled a hail mary and delivered something competitive on a price/performance/watt basis... Dell, in my opinion, has no choice but to somehow start offering AMD servers. The problem is volume - AMD doesn't have the capacity without other suppliers (IBM?) stepping up to produce more chips.

But maybe I'm completely wrong here.

It is likely that either AMD will either expand it's manufactering soon or start talks with ibm or some other chpimaker because ibm is likely going to lose apple as a client as it has announced they will now be using pentium 4 chips. So they need to find something new to make with those manufactering lines (amd chips)

Dell is tight with Intel.. Intel is worried about AMD's lawsuit against them.. Dell might be doing some side bussiness with AMD because Intel told them too.. So Intel can say, hey look Dell is doing AMD, so what is this lawsuit about.. I'm inclined to believe that Dell would sacrifice chickens if Intel said to.. I'm prolly just being paranoid, been in a dark mood all day.. ;)

Due to AMDs anti-trust lawsuit with Intel, Dell might have thought it better to start selling AMD products to dodge a bullet.

I also have it on good authority that Dell will soon be selling Opteron Servers in the near future.

madhoosier357 said:
Due to AMDs anti-trust lawsuit with Intel, Dell might have thought it better to start selling AMD products to dodge a bullet.

I also have it on good authority that Dell will soon be selling Opteron Servers in the near future.

um they do already. if you try hard.

GORANKAR said:
Dell is tight with Intel.. Intel is worried about AMD's lawsuit against them.. Dell might be doing some side bussiness with AMD because Intel told them too.. So Intel can say, hey look Dell is doing AMD, so what is this lawsuit about.. I'm inclined to believe that Dell would sacrifice chickens if Intel said to.. I'm prolly just being paranoid, been in a dark mood all day.. ;)
well then there is also the fact that they don't make any systems which sell much more often than the cpus do especially on dells site. so obviously only selling them oem instead of in systems could also be considered as unfair trading practices

Back