Dell NetXtreme ll Dual Port Gigabit PCIe - G218C

beyonddc

Limp Gawd
I always wonder how one would make money out from this. It's so cheap but that's a different discussion.
http://r.ebay.com/Xcq9TG

There's not a whole lot of information online or maybe I just didn't dig long enough on Google.

I found this on Dell website
https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/drivers/driversdetails?driverId=GFT61
It has a compatible server hardware list and OS list but it's all geared toward server machines.
I see from the OS list that it supports Windows 2008 and 2012 server so I assume it would work on Windows 10 as well.

Does card like this would work on Windows 10 on consumer level hardware? It will be installed on a Ryzen 1700x build with ASUS ROG STRIX B350-F GAMING motherboard.

Thanks

If it has 64bit drivers for Server 2008, you are pretty much good to go. You are unlikely to even need to install drivers. Windows 10 will either have it, or pull it from windows update.

Not a fan of Broadcom cards in general, but for normal desktop usage under Windows 10 you are unlikely to have problems.

I know I've run one in a Win7 64bit box before. Hell, I have 6-8 of them in a drawer that were server pulls at work just in case I needed a dual nic at some point. Couldn't even get rid of them at $10 shipped in the past and I'm about to toss them in the trash.

We never had any issues with these and they worked as reliably as Intel NICs both in Windows servers and VMWare hosts.

If it has 64bit drivers for Server 2008, you are pretty much good to go. You are unlikely to even need to install drivers. Windows 10 will either have it, or pull it from windows update.

Not a fan of Broadcom cards in general, but for normal desktop usage under Windows 10 you are unlikely to have problems.

I know I've run one in a Win7 64bit box before. Hell, I have 6-8 of them in a drawer that were server pulls at work just in case I needed a dual nic at some point. Couldn't even get rid of them at $10 shipped in the past and I'm about to toss them in the trash.

We never had any issues with these and they worked as reliably as Intel NICs both in Windows servers and VMWare hosts.

Thanks guys, this give me more comfortable purchasing these although it's only $5 bucks. What worst would happen? haha...

How could these cards selling so cheap! Unbelieveable

Ended up bought two from the seller thru best offer. $4 each, total of $8 with free shipping.

Really, what profit are they making?

Not much, that's for sure. Paying someone to stuff that into an envelope and pay for shipping is probably like $3 out of the $4. They might even take a loss with those just so they can get a bulk shipping discount or something which ends up making the larger items cheaper. I'm sure they picked up the cards for free by pulling them out of working systems, but even still I can't say as I know the economics behind it.

Back